New whips.

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Simon Martin
Vendor

New whips.

Post by Simon Martin »

Hi Everyone

Recently there was a post about nylon whips, and some of you mentioned that you don't like them. I was in aggreance with that to. However I have had a thread made for me that I am calling "Whippa". It is very tough (nearly blunted my scissors!) Each strand takes over 340lb in weight.
These whips handle almost as good as kangaroo hide whips. When I say almost, I mean it is that close that most people wouldn't know the difference. I've made them with a leather core, plaited belly, bolster and 12plait overlay with 20plait handles. Gary Brophy of Circus Sunrise www.circussunrise.com.au spyed the sample of the thread I had when he was in my shop recently and asked me to make a pair. I never ever thought I would bring myself to making non leather whips, but I have to say I am amazed. There is also no falls on these whips and it is almost impossible to tangle to the cracker on the whips. So here's a picture of the "Gary Brophy Signature Stockwhips"

By the way whipmakers! It gives you blisters really bad :lol:

While I'm posting here's a picture of an KOTCS replica that I finished today.
What do you think?
Kind Regards
Simon
Indiana_Hall
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor
Location: Where ya gotta go north to get to the deep South....

Post by Indiana_Hall »

Simon,

For a first attempt at non-leather whips, that's a doggone nice pair right there. Very fine work indeed!

Just out of curiosity, where did you get this material? I've been making nylon whips for over 5 years now, and I don't believe I've ever seen or heard of the stuff you have. Incidentally, I feel your pain - nylon is not as forgiving on the hands as leather, especially if you don't work with it often.

Highest Regards,
- Chris

P.S.: Nice job on the KOTCS whip as well - superb work as always....
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Those white whips look sweet Simon!

Could you PM me the price on a pair of whips like that? Actually, I have to order some more popper twine and a couple roo hides from you, so I'll try to call you sometime this week.

Do you know how this thread picks up dirt and dust? Does it get dirty fast?

-Adam
Nebraska Brad
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Nebraska Brad »

Wow! Those white whips are super cool. I also wonder if they would get dirty fast and be hard to keep clean. I also really like the KOTCS copy. Great work all around!

_Nebraska
Boggstandard
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Boggstandard »

If Simon can get behind nylon whips, then I will have to re-think my opinion.
But, reluctantly. Those white whips do indeed look cool Simon.
The KOTCS is a great looking whip.
Jonathan Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Jonathan Jones »

They look FANTASTIC!
rjallen70
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rjallen70 »

Those look real nice!
I'd be interested in trying that cord...if available in differnt colors.
Ron
Simon Martin
Vendor

Post by Simon Martin »

Thanks for your comments.
Just out of curiosity, where did you get this material?
Currently I don' t wish to say. Technically it's not nylon, and "Whippa" is the name I am calling it.
Those white whips are super cool. I also wonder if they would get dirty fast and be hard to keep clean.
I didn't get to use them a whole lot before I dropped them off to Gary, but they seem to stay fairly white. If I get a chance to make a pair for myself I will see if they can be washed down or not.

Bogg's, I still feel that nothing will ever be like holding a nice roo hide whip in the hand, but as for function these come very close.

Ron said

I'd be interested in trying that cord...if available in differnt colors.
Currently I have only had it made in white and have not asked the question to see if it can be made in another colour, but I'm sure it could be possible.

Kind Regards

Simon
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

Those are amazing! Wow! You told have me sold on Nylon right now.