First piece of gear!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Stinky Dragon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

First piece of gear!

Post by Stinky Dragon »

Hi everyone, this'll be my first post after a month or so of reading before I decided to join. This is really a great forum with tons of information, and it's been really helpful so far.

I just got my first piece of gear a little over a week ago: a Jaxon Iconoclast, and despite how incredibly inaccurate it is (I thought I would be able to rebash it, but it hasn't worked out so far) I have to say that I'm loving it. I never wore hats before- not even baseball caps- but this has gotten me hooked. I wear it everywhere but work, though it does get kind of hot (Atlanta summers and all). I got this because I was going for a budget Indy before I got my job, but now that I've got a little money coming in I plan on upgrading to a Federation once I've gotten the rest of my gear together, and I'll probably get a bunch more hats too.

Anywho... here's a quick picture I took. More of just the hat to come soon..

Now... a question I had. The hat is a bit big on me (7 1/4), and the crown is actually what's keeping it up (though it will stop before my ears if I push the indentation out), so I was wondering how I could fix that. Is there some sort of sweatband padding I can get, or a way I can shrink it?
MightyMegs
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by MightyMegs »

Sweeeeeeet. Wish my hat would show up.

I've read here that you can stuff the headband with thin foam, or even cloth, to get a snugger fit.
WalkingEye
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by WalkingEye »

most hatshops sell sizers that will make an ill fitting hat sit snuggly on your head. even the maker of your hat sells them...

http://www.villagehatshop.com/hat-sizer.html

i own a couple jaxon hats... they are a nice affordable introduction into the world of hat wearing.
Indycrazy5187
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycrazy5187 »

nice hats
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Welcome SD! Looks like you have the correct 'attitude' to wear that fedora! I remember when those were ONLY available in Europe. Looks like they're available in the Deep South now!

Enjoy it!
:D
HIGH regard! Michaelson
lpa53
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Fedoras in Summertime ?

Post by lpa53 »

That does look nice. Since my hair started to disappear awhile ago I got into hats and have gotten tins of compliments and questions about them. Most of mine are inexpensive but after I found Indygear and COW I decided to take the plunge.

I am on somewhat of a budget and din't want to anger the spouse the first time out so am getting Lee Keppler's new indy-style fedora that he told me now has a new name (copyright stuff I suppose).

I just put in the order tonight and can't wait til it comes. But after reading your post I too was wondering if I'd have to wait to the fall to wear it. Of course Indy was in Cairo and I think it was a little hotter there than Chicago so maybe I'll be OK. After all, one of the points is to keep the sun off.

Maybe I'll get a straw Indy next.
Stinky Dragon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Stinky Dragon »

Thanks for the help and the comments guys!

lpa, I doubt I'd be able to wait until fall to wear a new hat... haha. My head's been pretty sweaty for the past couple of weeks, but I think it's worth it!