Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Chris_King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Wested Leather -SAMPLES - Washed goat, washed lamb etc - PIC

Post by Chris_King »

Hi everyone,
Since it's a nice sunny day today, I thought I'd snap a pic of the leather samples that Gemma from Wested has sent to me.
I've recently received a Novapelle Crystal Skull jacket from Wested (which is extremely nice) but was considering a new Raiders jacket made from their washed leather range.

You can see the washed lamb, washed goat and distressed goat in the pic (as well as new goat and novapelle).

The washed lamb does have a lighter, olive tint to it. I really like the distressed goat. However, the sample of washed goatskin I received is REALLY wrinkled. I wonder if this is how the skin looks on the completed jacket? I think it's a bit too wrinkled for my tastes.

Here's the pic

Chris
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

wow.thanks for posting this.

I to think the washed goat is too wrinkled..glad I didnt get the custom raiders washed goat jacket now.its to wrinkle for my taste....

I am now leaning towards the distressed goat.

that one looks really nice.

acctually I thought that the washed goat would look alot more like the distressed goat.

Holt
Chris_King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chris_King »

Yes, the Distressed goat is the best choice in my opinion and that's probably what I'll go for.
Here's a couple more photos showing the distressed goat sample placed on top of my Todd's custom jacket. These pics were taken indoors with a flash.

Chris
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

OH yeah....that is a sweet leather...

that the hide for my next jacket. :D

thanks Chris!

Holt
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

It's funny but on Wested's website, the picture of the washed goat jacket looks pretty smooth......hopefully once I receive it, the jacket will be good. One thing you have to remember is that the samples doesn't really tell you what the whole jacket will actually be like.....the sample of Novapelle leather I received was quite different from my actual Novapelle jacket that was made.
Indy_1971
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indy_1971 »

Are you sure the distressed goatskin isn't actually the washed?
It looks very close to the look of the "washed lambskin" sample you provided.
Might they have mixed up the labeling of the samples?
Very curious because I too like that sample the best.
Louisiana Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Louisiana Jones »

Now I really can't wait for my novapelle jacket!
Chris_King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chris_King »

Nope, there's no confusion. I got the distressed goatskin sample with the washed lambskin, novapelle and new goat. The washed goatskin was sent separately a couple of weeks later once it was in stock.

Chris
Indy_1971 wrote:Are you sure the distressed goatskin isn't actually the washed?
It looks very close to the look of the "washed lambskin" sample you provided.
Might they have mixed up the labeling of the samples?
Very curious because I too like that sample the best.
Indy_1971
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indy_1971 »

I don't know. I think I would be asking verification from Wested before I ordered. The washed lambskin and the distressed goatskin just look too close; don't you think??? To me they both look like they had the same thing done to them.
Tollan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Tollan »

Chris_King wrote:Yes, the Distressed goat is the best choice in my opinion and that's probably what I'll go for.
Here's a couple more photos showing the distressed goat sample placed on top of my Todd's custom jacket. These pics were taken indoors with a flash.

Chris
I really like the look of the Todd's pre-washed lambskin though!! Very nice! Is that as light as the standard... it looks quite substantial in the photo...
Chris_King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chris_King »

Todd's use a slightly thicker lambskin for their custom jackets. However, it's still EXTREMELY lightweight compared to Wested's.

Chris
r.deckard
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by r.deckard »

IMHO opinion you cant go wrong with a Todd's custom. I think it's a pretty substantial jacket and to me it feels a little heavier than my Wested authentic lamb. I've included some pics below.

http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/cc15 ... edited.jpg
http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/cc15 ... C00594.jpg
Bemo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bemo »

That looks great! Nice reverse punch!

What material is the lining? And would you know if it's made to mil-spec?

Peace.
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mississippi Jones »

I kind of like the washed lamb.
r.deckard
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by r.deckard »

The lining of the body is cotton and the sleeves are satin. I'm not sure about the mil spec construction. What are some telltale signs?
JulianK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JulianK »

Just to muddy the waters further....the sample of washed goat I got looks a lot like your distressed goat. :-
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

JulianK wrote:Just to muddy the waters further....the sample of washed goat I got looks a lot like your distressed goat. :-
..which confirms my suspicion that samples really do not convey what the actual jacket will be like ...(my Novapelle jacket ended up being quite different from the sample I received earlier)......we'll see in the next week or so when my washed goat arrives.
JulianK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JulianK »

we'll see in the next week or so when my washed goat arrives.
...and we all expect pictures the very next day!!!
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

JulianK wrote: ...and we all expect pictures the very next day!!!
Absolutely. I've been really haunting the boards for washed goat samples. Now the distressed goat is looking good.

Why can't these decisions be easy??? :cry:
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

I wonder why Wested can't make a Novapelle jacket out of goat?.....that'll be real awesome if they could.
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

JulianK wrote:
we'll see in the next week or so when my washed goat arrives.
...and we all expect pictures the very next day!!!
....absolutely!.....Gemma tells me my order has been processed and will ship out any day now.........can't wait!! ...(at least I have my Novapelle to keep me company :) )
Marv
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Marv »

Got any pics of you Novapelle, I am also waiting for my Raiders novapelle to arrive so would be interested to see the jacket in full

thanks
Marv
Chris_King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chris_King »

Just heard back from Gemma. She confirmed that the washed goat sample is more wrinkled than the actual jacket will be. She said it was the only sample of the leather she'd got to send to me though. I'm interested to see a completed jacket made from this washed goatskin!

I'll try and take some pics of my Novapelle Crystal Skull jacket later. It really is a very nice leather though with a good weight and look to it.

Chris
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

Marv wrote:Got any pics of you Novapelle, I am also waiting for my Raiders novapelle to arrive so would be interested to see the jacket in full

thanks
Marv
Here you go:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.j ... derid=2008
Marv
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Marv »

thanks guys..........
JulianK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JulianK »

Ok maybe it's just me (and it usually is) but I just don't get the difference between the washed and distressed goat. The sample of washed goat I got was not shiny, colour slightly faded in places and quite soft. The distressed goat seems to be....well....the same.

Hence my dilema. I'm looking for a "predistressed" goat. So...which one is more predistressed???

Where's Peter when you need him!?!
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

When the first leather sample came in the Goat said "Distressed Goat" on the back, but Peter called it "Washed Goat", I think they are one and the same, just different parts of the same skin.

Although, I could be wrong, and Peter has found another leather and called it "Distressed goat".

This jacket is labelled "Washed Goat" on his site and in the file.

This is one I tried on from the same batch.

This is a sample of the leather I got from him, it does seem a lot wrinklier than the jackets.

This piece of washed lamb has a big stretched bit in the middle, of course they wouldn't use that bit for a jacket!

And a piece of NP for good measure:

PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

Novapelle is the best leather Wested has made so far (as far as color, texture and comfort is concerned)......glad I have one in my collection.....now I'm just eagerly waiting for my washed goat....oh, the suspense! :D
Chris_King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chris_King »

PETER - Please can you clarify what we're seeing here?

The "Distressed Goat" and "Washed Goat" are clearly two VERY different leathers (appearance wise) on the samples I recieved.

The "Distressed goat" appears to be much smoother, but has faded patches of colour on it.

The "Washed goat" is darker, more shiny and more wrinkled on the samples I have (and the one KT has posted here).

As I mentioned to Gemma, I would love to hear your thoughts on which of these two leathers comes the closest in appearance, weight etc to the thicker lamb that you used on the original Raiders jackets.

Thanks!

Chris
PETER
Vendor

Post by PETER »

Hi Chris.
I think gemma sent you a pice of skin from a sample I had for a film project. The 'distressed' and 'washed' are the same. The skins have been washed to get a slightly distressed effect in a matt finish. I am very pleased with the result. So for 'distressed' read 'Washed'
Cheers
Peter
Piers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Piers »

Thanks for the clarification! while you're here, any ETA on a washed/distressed goat OTR Raiders jacket? :D (complete with the most popular specs)

where's that visa?
PETER
Vendor

Post by PETER »

The Rola in standard goat are now made and next week the OTR Riaders in washed goat should be ready together with the skin for custom make.
Cheers
Peter
Chris_King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chris_King »

Thanks Peter!

That explains why people were saying their washed goat samples looked the same as the distressed goat sample in my pic - they are one and the same!
It certainly is a great skin. I look forward to seeing some photos of jackets made from this leather!

Would you say that the washed/distressed goat is the closest to the finished effect on the original Raiders jackets or is the washed lamb the closest?

Thanks again.

Chris
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

Stay tuned guys....my washed goat will be here within the next 2 days and I'll have comparison pics posted pronto! :D
delfloria
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by delfloria »

What happened to the washed goat?

And the sample photos?
Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shawnkara »

Actually, that really rough "washed" goat looks perfect to me. That's what most people seem to miss about the Riaders jacket. Most of the weathered look was not due to fading or sand-papered seams. The Raiders jacket had none of that. What it had, was a DEEP, cracked grain and a mixture of gloss/matte finish. It didn't look like a jacket that had been strategically and artificially "sanded down", but an old jacket that had gone untreated and neglected for a long time.
Piers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Piers »

a perfect description shawnkara, and exactly what I want in a Raiders jacket..

I wish I could save my $ faster, I have a cousin from London coming to visit Canada the first week of August.. would love to have him bring it..
JulianK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JulianK »

I have a cousin from London coming to visit Canada the first week of August.. would love to have him bring it..
Where in Canada??? Any chance he can get 2?? :-k ;)
Piers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Piers »

I'm in Calgary, but we're going to my parents on Vancouver Island..
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

So I'm watching Raiders right now, and I agree with some of you....the Washed Goat is looking like the best choice for a Raiders jacket.

But I'm still getting my Novapelle first.... :wink:
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

Mississippi Jones wrote:So I'm watching Raiders right now, and I agree with some of you....the Washed Goat is looking like the best choice for a Raiders jacket.

But I'm still getting my Novapelle first.... :wink:
I have both.....out of the 6 jackets I had in my collection, those 2 are my favs so far (I have a TN coming so that might change :D ).......right now during summer, the washed goat is my favorite due to it being so lightweight and its incredibly soft....the color and drape is also superb......better than even my previous authentic lambskin. The Novapelle, to me, is the perfect cold-weather jacket.....the color, to me, is the most "authentic" Raiders-looking color out of all the jackets I've seen thus far. I love the "marbilized" look of the color and texture of the leather. Novapelle is THE best jacket Wested has ever produced in my opinion.
delfloria
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by delfloria »

Still looking for those updated photos of washed goat.
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

So would you say that Wested's Novapelle is a pretty good Raiders jacket? I know it's not the same leather, but I want it to be "authentic" looking and durable. I know that the lambskin isn't all that durable.
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

Mississippi Jones wrote:So would you say that Wested's Novapelle is a pretty good Raiders jacket? I know it's not the same leather, but I want it to be "authentic" looking and durable. I know that the lambskin isn't all that durable.
In my opinion, Novapelle would be a perfect leather for a Raiders jacket.....the antique finish and color to me is superior to "authentic brown".....not to mention more durable than lambskin.
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Black Wested

Post by YARVTON »

Who has a Black Jacket and what is the leather/finish?
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

GREAT! Thanks, PSB! I feel so much better about ordering a Novapelle now. Yea, I love how durable it is!
Zombie Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zombie Jones »

Before I ordered my Wested Raiders jacket I was really torn between Novapelle and Goat. Then I saw the photo Peter posted in his "Free Jacket" thread (viewtopic.php?t=30582), and my mind was made up. I've never owned a goat or horsehide jacket, so I have no reference for comparison to either of those materials. I can say, however, that the jacket I received is far superior to any other cowhide jacket I've owned--a bit lighter, much softer, and much more flexible; right out of the bag it feels like a regular cowhide jacket that has already been broken in. I can't wait for winter when I'll be able to actually wear it. IMO, I chose wisely. :wink:

That photo of Peter, by the way, is more representative of the true color of the Novapelle than the other two photos of the jacket on Wested's site, which make it appear to be a slightly lighter/richer/warmer shade of brown than it really is.
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Thanks, ZB. I was torn between Goat and Novapelle too. I'm really excited about ordering my Wested Novapelle now. Everyone tells me that I won't regret it. I can't wait! :wink: