AB Deluxe worn by Harrison?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Henry wrote:
You should really know your audience before you attempt to throw darts.
or claim you have 'original' props.....you know what I mean!

dont even get me started.this was the last drop for me.

Holt
Last edited by Holt on Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

Henry wrote:
Dutch_jones wrote:Well well, second forum I see you on Henry. Are you actually going to post pictures of your highly praised collection now? Or are you going to do it like you did before: big stories and no proof what so ever. How is your Temple of Doom Stetson doing?
No I am not posting any photos as usual. They were online for sometime. As for believing me, simply ask Steve himself, he'll vouch for the hat. This is typical. Someone of "importance" on the messageboard is disagreed with, then suddenly all his worker bees come to the rescue by attempting to slander the other person. Do your best, makes no difference to me. I did not want to throw this nugget out there, but since I can see how this thread is going...here you go..... the hat GMANN sent to Western Costumes, the very one that Harrison "wore" for the fittings was too small for his head, and he was not able to get it on.....LOL! Don't believe me....ask Bernie........LOL! So I guess even the loose claim of the hat being "worn" is still not applicable.....

You should really know your audience before you attempt to throw darts. Here is a thread about my hat. Read carefuly my good man, and learn.

viewtopic.php?t=30430
Oh, I know all about you don't worry.
Last edited by Dutch_jones on Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Henry
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Henry »

Indiana Holt wrote:
Henry wrote:
You should really know your audience before you attempt to throw darts. viewtopic.php?t=30430
dont even get me started.this was the last drop for me.

you know what I mean!

Holt
Get lost. You can throw all that info out there, I have proof to the contrary too. Don't forget that. Remember to think well with your claims, because what I have will make you look even stupider than you did at Indylounge, where you were banned for behavior, and misinformation.
G-MANN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by G-MANN »

Henry,

You are entitled to your opinion and the buyer that offered me the $5,000.00 is entitled to his opinion too. I am sure his collection is more extensive than yours so he he can determine what was a fair price to pay me. As far as I know he was not planning on reselling the hat since he was deciding where to display the hat.

End of that story.

Agent 5 is not a collector :?: You have got to be kidding me. He may not have some HIGH Dollar collectbles like you claim to have but he has posted photos of his entire collection to share with the entire community.

Also, I am not considered a member of importance, just a member.

G-MANN
Last edited by G-MANN on Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

are you trying to be funny!!

you be carefull now about what you say...very carefull!!
Last edited by Holt on Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Henry
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Henry »

Dutch_jones wrote:
Henry wrote:
Dutch_jones wrote:Well well, second forum I see you on Henry. Are you actually going to post pictures of your highly praised collection now? Or are you going to do it like you did before: big stories and no proof what so ever. How is your Temple of Doom Stetson doing?
No I am not posting any photos as usual. They were online for sometime. As for believing me, simply ask Steve himself, he'll vouch for the hat. This is typical. Someone of "importance" on the messageboard is disagreed with, then suddenly all his worker bees come to the rescue by attempting to slander the other person. Do your best, makes no difference to me. I did not want to throw this nugget out there, but since I can see how this thread is going...here you go..... the hat GMANN sent to Western Costumes, the very one that Harrison "wore" for the fittings was too small for his head, and he was not able to get it on.....LOL! Don't believe me....ask Bernie........LOL! So I guess even the loose claim of the hat being "worn" is still not applicable.....

You should really know your audience before you attempt to throw darts. Here is a thread about my hat. Read carefuly my good man, and learn.

viewtopic.php?t=30430
Oh, I know all about you don't worry.
So I guess your definition of making trouble is disagreeing with a board member. As for big claims, guess again. I have had many items on the net, including both hats. I took them down. There are far too many "experts" out there with little to NO hands on experience with costumes/ props. When I was here as "TCBCOLLECTOR" a number of years ago, I made the unfortunate error of saying I had anything. You guys had at it, because I would not post photos. Did you ever consider that if people on this board were a bit less confrontational, you would get what you ask for? Ask Michaelson, he has seen some shots. Even Holt has seen the photos of the hats. He may not agree with the Grail Diary, but he knows that everything else is good. He has so much as said so via email many times, of which I have kept. Get it? So I am not making "claims" of any kind, they are facts. You just don't like what you read. Its that simple.
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

Aah so you where TCBCollector too. :D I thought so. Well , I have seen pictures of your temple of doom hat. Either you are very stupid, or you have been ripped off bigtime. I even saved the picture so if anyone is interested :D

Ah I'll share it Heres the screen used stetson Temple of Doom Fedora:

Last edited by Dutch_jones on Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Henry
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Henry »

G-MANN wrote:Henry,

You are entitled to your opinion and the buyer that offered me the $5,000.00 is entitled to his opinion too. I am sure his collection is more extensive than yours so he he can determine what was a fair price to pay me. As far as I know he was not planning on reselling the hat since he was deciding where to display the hat.

End of that story.

Agent 5 is not a collector :?: You have got to be kidding me. He may not have some HIGH Dollar collectbles like you claim to have but he has posted photos of his entire collection to share with the entire community.

Also, I am not considered a member of importance, just a member.

G-MANN
If you can make a buck, good for you. As for having a more extensive collection, your probably right, especially if this purchase was a reflection of his tastes. The size of a colleciton is irrelevant, its whats in there that matters. Again I have not made any claims that can not be backed up, but I will not post photos simply to appease a few people who think that they are the center of the Indiana Jones universe. I do not know Agent 5, nor do I care what he has, or does not have. I collect for me, not others. GMANN I respect your posts, but it seems that since you sold the piece in question, and have been here for some time, this thread will go no where. I stated an opinion that was contrary to the status quoe, big deal. Take ot or leave it, thats pretty simple. But to start attacking a persons credibility is what most messageboards were about. I thought this one may have change a bit over the last few years, but it seems I may have been wrong. Its a shame, because I have an enormous amount to share about the the films, props, costumes, and productions that those here do not. I am a very open person, but do not like to be pushed in a school yard fight over "things". Its a waste of my time.
G-MANN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by G-MANN »

Holt was banned for less that 24 hours. He was then reinstated. It was mainly because of you. But why bring up something that happened elsewhere? LOW BLOW.

In retrospect the wrong person was banned (though not by me) my appologies Eric.

I myself have NEVER attacked any member on this site.

G-MANN
Last edited by G-MANN on Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Henry wrote:["]
Henry wrote:
Get lost. You can throw all that info out there, I have proof to the contrary too. Don't forget that. Remember to think well with your claims, because what I have will make you look even stupider than you did at Indylounge, where you were banned for behavior, and misinformation.

now you have insulted me

smart
Henry
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Henry »

Dutch_jones wrote:Aah so you where TCBCollector too. :D I thought so. Well , I have seen pictures of your temple of doom hat. Either you are very stupid, or you have been ripped off bigtime. I even saved the picture so if anyone is interested :D

Ah I'll share it Heres the screen used stetson Temple of Doom Fedora:

By all means, feel free to post it. Here is the provenance on the hat:

Purchased by ME in 1994 at Butterfields auction. The hat was donated along with a whip by Steven Speilberg for the "Friends In Need Charity." The letters from Speilberg state that the hat was worn by Harrison during the filming of TOD. The hat has additional letters from Western Costumes Co, Stetson Hat Co, & Paramount Studios. The hat is well labled with Harrisons name, production info, and wardrobe tags from Western Costumes. I have 3 wardrobe call sheets that reflect the hat number as being used during reshoots on various scenes from Western Costumes.

Now I should think that the info is pretty straight forward. As for being TCBCOLLECTOR when I rejoined the board I was not able to use that handle, and made no secret about it on other threads.
Last edited by Henry on Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Henry
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Henry »

G-MANN wrote:Holt was banned for less that 24 hours. He was then reinstated. It was mainly because of you. But why bring up something that happened elsewhere? LOW BLOW.

I myself have NEVER attacked any member on this site.

G-MANN
"Low Blow" Wow that takes nerve, considering what he sees a veiled threats.
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

Oh and this is the REAL plane hat from Temple of Doom, sold a few years ago on Screenused (It's a Herbert Johnson)

Henry
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Henry »

Dutch_jones wrote:Oh and this is the REAL plane hat from Temple of Doom, sold a few years ago on Screenused (It's a Herbert Johnson)

That is an HJ that was used in the film. Mine is not an HJ, its a Stetson. Perhaps you should read some threads about Stetsons role in the film. The photo in my collage is for reference only. Its not to say that the hat on his head is the photo is the hat photographed. I used that photo becuase the produciton numbers on the inside of that match that scene in the film, as re-shoots, not primary. Also the call sheets list the #7 HF hat used in that re-shoots for that scene, and others. Does that help?
Last edited by Henry on Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

1999 Indy Staff of Ra Head Piece (Not screen used/ was crew gift) $60,000.00
2008 Indy Staff of Ra Head Piece (Not sceeen used/ sold by original makers) $2,403.00

So, where is the market price set then?

Wait! I know where.

THERE IS NO "standard" MARKET PRICE!!! It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. None of these props have any real price value. It's set by the seller who accepts any one set price and the buyer who is willing to pay for it. It may be worth thousands to many one day and worth only hundreds by one person years later. That IS a market price.
Last edited by agent5 on Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
G-MANN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by G-MANN »

I have nothing more to say about this. Good luck with your $22,500 hat.

G-MANN
Henry
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Henry »

agent5 wrote:1999 Indy Staff of Ra Head Piece (Not screen used/ was crew gift) $60,000.00

2008 Indy Staff of Ra Head Piece (Not sceeen used) $2,403.00

So, where is the market price set then?

Wait! I know where.

THERE IS NO MARKET PRICE!!! It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. None of these props have any real market price. It's set by the seller who accepts any one set price and the buyer who is willing to pay for it. It may be worth thousands to many one day and worth only hundreds by one person years later. Thats not a market price.
Your 100% correct. Just like any collectible market, price is subject to sale. However estimates can be placed on items based on thier significance in the film, rarity on the market, trends, and other important pieces that have sold from that film. That is how estimates are drawn on pieces that have not had the advantage of selling at auction with great or recent frequency. For insurance values, you have to get estimates from approved "experts" as to its value. When I had my hat appraised, that was the estimated value. Now I am not saying that auction houses are experts, we all know how often they are incorrect, however these are sources that one has to use for Chubs insuance on POP Memorabilia. So your comment is nothing new.

Note: Yes the most recent Staff Of Ra Headpiece was ANOTHER crew gift, not a screen used prop. At least that person got a great deal, on a cool piece, unlike the idiot who bought the one from Profiles.
Last edited by Henry on Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Henry
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Henry »

G-MANN wrote:I have nothing more to say about this. Good luck with your $22,500 hat.

G-MANN
Not sure what you mean by luck. The lucky part was getting it.
havershaw
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by havershaw »

I've seen that TOD hat elsewhere, but I'd never seen it with the liner.

That's definitely a 1950s (maybe even 60s) Stetson.

Interesting.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

However estimates can be placed on items based on thier significance in the film, rarity on the market, trends, and other important pieces that have sold from that film.
Yes, but if nobody buys them at the estimated price, then a new market value has been set. So, in the end, all of this is only worth what anyone is willing to pay for it. You can set estimates and hope for the best but thats it. You can't say, "I shouldv'e gotten more for this item because it's worth more", etc. It may be worth alot one day and worthless the next.

By the definition of market values, a screen produced Headpiece to the Staff of Ra is at a market value right now of $2, 500. Now, given that definition there is no way to place a price on the hat that G-Mann sold. You said it wasn't 'worth' the $5000, but based on the definition, the current market value on the hat is $5000.

Look, I think the whole think is silly. The value is set by the seller who is willing or hoping his item will sell at a certain price. It's up to us as the buyers to set that current price. Its only worth what anyone is willing to pay. There is no real dollar value one can place on any one prop.
Henry
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Henry »

havershaw wrote:I've seen that TOD hat elsewhere, but I'd never seen it with the liner.

That's definitely a 1950s (maybe even 60s) Stetson.

Interesting.
Not sure about that as I am no expert in hat styles. It was used in TOD, and that is what matters in the end.
Henry
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Henry »

agent5 wrote:
However estimates can be placed on items based on thier significance in the film, rarity on the market, trends, and other important pieces that have sold from that film.
Yes, but if nobody buys them at the estimated price, then a new market value has been set. So, in the end, all of this is only worth what anyone is willing to pay for it. You can set estimates and hope for the best but thats it. You can't say, "I shouldv'e gotten more for this item because it's worth more", etc. It may be worth alot one day and worthless the next.

By the definition of market values, a screen produced Headpiece to the Staff of Ra is at a market value right now of $2, 500. Now, given that definition there is no way to place a price on the hat that G-Mann sold. You said it wasn't 'worth' the $5000, but based on the definition, the current market value on the hat is $5000.

Look, I think the whole think is silly. The value is set by the seller who is willing or hoping his item will sell at a certain price. It's up to us as the buyers to set that current price. Its only worth what anyone is willing to pay. There is no real dollar value one can place on any one prop.
Who is arguing with you? I agreed that value is subjective. Everything depends on a buyer, that is an empty comment. However the price you listed is not the price of an authentic screen used RA piece, its for a crew gift replica of the RA head piece. You can argue points all day, but the reality of the situtaion is you would be hard pressed to find ANY screen worn Indy Hat, worn by Harrison Ford for anything under 20K. I know 3 other collectors who would never part with thier hats for anything less than 50K. That by no means is a reflection of the market, its simply thier "price". I would not part with either of mine for any amount, so there you have it. Big deal.

This has all been very informative, but I am going out now with my family, so we'll have to pick this up another time. Have a good weekend.
G-MANN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by G-MANN »

Henry,

I did not start this thread only posted a few facts when you decided to come out of the woodwork and insult me and the person that bought my hat. When I sold him the hat he knew the absolute truth about the product that I sold to him. The COA will state the facts about the hat. No more and no less. He would not be able to resell the hat as something that it is not. Mr. Ford wore the hat briefly. I never stated that he put it on for hours running around Bernie's office yelling " Look at me. I'm Indiana Jones again!"

As soon as he put it on his head He had worn the hat. FACT. Whether it fit or not.

The only other claim I made was that it was the FIRST Advenurebilt product to make it to Bernie. FACT.

You also went as far as to insult the buyers collection based on his purchase of this hat. If you read my earlier post to Steve you would see that he is also very interested in purchasing a screen used hat of which I am sure he is prepared to pay at least as much as you did for yours.
To get down to the Nitty-Gritty I feel that you have labled me a Shyster and the Collector a dupe. That is very insulting.

My transaction in no way devaluates your hat so I don't see what your stake is in this in the first place. You are happy with your hat so what is the deal. If anything my sale makes your hat that much more valuable by being Screen Used.

I feel that you owe me a SINCERE appology. As well as the other folks that you were rude to in this thread (which includes at least 2 Staff Members).

MY APPOLOGIES TO THE ADMINISTRATORS AND STAFF OF THIS SITE IF I HAVE OVERSTEPPED MY BOUNDS BY BEING BLUNT WITH HENRY. HOWEVER I DO NOT COME TO THIS SITE TO CREATE TROUBLE, ONLY TO PARTICIPATE

G-MANN
Henry
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Henry »

I did not start this thread only posted a few facts when you decided to come out of the woodwork and insult me and the person that bought my hat. When I sold him the hat he knew the absolute truth about the product that I sold to him. The COA will state the facts about the hat. No more and no less. He would not be able to resell the hat as something that it is not. Mr. Ford wore the hat briefly. I never stated that he put it on for hours running around Bernie's office yelling " Look at me. I'm Indiana Jones again!"

As soon as he put it on his head He had worn the hat. FACT. Whether it fit or not.

The only other claim I made was that it was the FIRST Advenurebilt product to make it to Bernie. FACT.

You also went as far as to insult the buyers collection based on his purchase of this hat. If you read my earlier post to Steve you would see that he is also very interested in purchasing a screen used hat of which I am sure he is prepared to pay at least as much as you did for yours.
To get down to the Nitty-Gritty I feel that you have labled me a Shyster and the Collector a dupe. That is very insulting.

My transaction in no way devaluates your hat so I don't see what your stake is in this in the first place. You are happy with your hat so what is the deal. If anything my sale makes your hat that much more valuable by being Screen Used.

I feel that you owe me a SINCERE appology. As well as the other folks that you were rude to in this thread (which includes at least 2 Staff Members).

MY APPOLOGIES TO THE ADMINISTRATORS AND STAFF OF THIS SITE IF I HAVE OVERSTEPPED MY BOUNDS BY BEING BLUNT WITH HENRY. HOWEVER I DO NOT COME TO THIS SITE TO CREATE TROUBLE, ONLY TO PARTICIPATE

G-MANN
G-MANN,

Your right. I did not mean to imply that you were any sort of shyster. I stated that I respected your threads. I guess I got a bit carried away when the attacks began, and felt that I too was being called into question. I know that the Stetson TOD hat issue has always been a sore one among Indy fans, so I will leave it as agree to disagree with members on that subject. I am in no way infering you did anything dishonest. I commend you on the deal you made. If the collector is happy with the hat, then so be it. I am man enough to say when I went too far, and so I apologize to you, and any board member who may have been offended. It was not my intention. I have always enjoyed this board, and have met a number of nice people through it. So lesson learned, and I assure you respect will flow both ways. I hope you will accept my apology.
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

Henry, Iam OH SO curious what scene your hat was used in, I have seen temple of doom so many times but never even seen your hat in it once. Is it a deleted scene?
G-MANN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by G-MANN »

Henry,

I have no reason to question your collection, not being a collector myself I do not now the real deal from a reproduction. I will be the first to admit that I would not have a leg to stand on in a debate about authenticy of any given item. I have no stake in disputing what you contribute here and that is all I ask of others. I am just a fan of the gear and supporter of the talented gear vendors here.

Long story short. Appology accepted Henry. :tup:
Cheers,
G-MANN
Henry
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Henry »

I have no reason to question your collection, not being a collector myself I do not now the real deal from a reproduction. I will be the first to admit that I would not have a leg to stand on in a debate about authenticy of any given item. I have no stake in disputing what you contribute here and that is all I ask of others. I am just a fan of the gear and supporter of the talented gear vendors here.

Long story short. Appology accepted Henry. :tup:
Cheers,
G-MANN
Thanks G-MANN. Rather than get an over all bad taste in my mouth, I won't let the actions of other members get the worst of me, as I did in this instance. Normaly I don't, but hey, we all digress at some point, only to recover.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well, this one has run it's course, so it's time to close the door.

HIGH regards! Michaelson