Modern day revolver

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Modern day revolver

Post by afrayedknot »

What would be the modern day equivalent of the S & W HE2, or any of Indy's handguns, for that matter?
IndigoJuliet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndigoJuliet »

perhaps a S&W model 27 I assume you wish to stay in style of wooden grips and not rubber.

I do not beleive anyone does a break open revolver anymore, but somehting like the S&W classics line would be the best bet
Magnum Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Magnum Jones »

A Glock
PyramidBlaster
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: "Tampa, Florida--Or, how I learned to stop worrying, and love the Bomb..."

Post by PyramidBlaster »

I'd totally see Indy carrying a 4" Stainless .357. It's dual-caliber, and Power-wise, it's somewhere in the same vicinity (his 38/44 was an early ancestor of the .357).

The large-frame Mod. 627 fits the bill, AND it's an 8-shot...Nothin' too exotic, just tried-and-true...

...Oh, I thought we were on the subject of what a 'Modern Day Indy' would carry...

I guess my comment on the REAL topic would be a variation on the model 22 (which is basically what he carried) or the model 25...
IndigoJuliet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndigoJuliet »

A GLOCK! NOT! they are rubbish I have seen too may explode, slides break, misfeeds and go off becuase of the rubbish "safety".

They are a poor copy of the HK which is the Original polymer based pistol. The only reason they are popular is becuase they are cheaper than the much more superior HK's. Do you see specail forces use them? No they use HKs.

The question was on revolvers, a Ruger or S&W would be the choice, cheapr go for the taurus clones.
dr. tyree
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by dr. tyree »

Indy seems to prefer revolvers, and autos were certainly available in his era, so I'm thinking he would stick with a revo. And I think it would be steel, since that fits with his rough and ready type character. So I'm thinking he would carry an older S&W model 29 with a four inch barrel if he was still going big bore, maybe a SW model 625, but more likely 27/28 in .357. IF -- he was wearing a gun on his belt, which isn't likely in today's civilian world. If not, then I'm guessing he would have a concealable gun.

The Ruger SP 101 in .357.
Last edited by dr. tyree on Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

Afrayedknot, to answer your original question, IMO the closest modern-day equivalent of the S&W HE 2 is the S&W Model 22 (Model of M1917). That is, if you're interested in purchasing a new firearm that closely resembles Indy's main sidearm (in Raiders), this would be the closest match. Here is the link to the S&W site - http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... sFirearm=Y

As for his Browning Hi-Power, they still make this pistol. Here is the link to Browning's site - http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... catalog_=B. There are at least 2 models in several calibers, but I believe the Hi-Power Standard in 9mm is the closest match to Indy's other sidearm (in Raiders).

I haven't looked into Colt or Webley to see what they're making these days. My preferences are to the pistols in Raiders, so someone else can chime in with that information. Hope this helps.

Craig
Magnum Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Magnum Jones »

IndigoJuliet wrote:A GLOCK! NOT! they are rubbish I have seen too may explode, slides break, misfeeds and go off becuase of the rubbish "safety".

They are a poor copy of the HK which is the Original polymer based pistol. The only reason they are popular is becuase they are cheaper than the much more superior HK's. Do you see specail forces use them? No they use HKs.

The question was on revolvers, a Ruger or S&W would be the choice, cheapr go for the taurus clones.
I can tell you never owned one.
carebear
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by carebear »

The thing to remember is that basic firearm technology, both revolver and auto, hasn't markedly changed in several decades.

Modern handguns are essentially identical in function to ones from a hundred years ago. The biggest changes have been in metallurgy (and plastics), those changes have allowed the new, even more lightweight frames, more powerful chamberings and (for revolvers) higher capacity cylinders.

The first polymer-framed high cap 9mm is, what, 40-ish years old (the HK VP-70) and a variety of striker fired pistols have been around for decades longer. I carry a Colt Lightweight Commander with an aluminum alloy frame, that "high tech" frame material has been around since at least the '50s.

Even the new "wonder" calibers offer only incremental improvements over rounds that made the transition from black powder. Heck, probably the most innovative area in handguns has been in actual bullet design, modern hollowpoints do show marked improvements over the old ball rounds. But, then again, those rounds did their jobs essentially unchanged for hundreds of years.

There's no "real" reason for Indy to change a thing. He's not "outgunned" with what he's always carried. Any change would be strictly a matter of a change in taste, not necessity.
IndigoJuliet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndigoJuliet »

Cannot agree with you more Carebear.
Magnum
I have owned 2 glocks brand new (they were the cheapest options) and after the slide want bang will never own another one again. There was an article about 3 months later about slides breaking and parting from the frames in one of the pistol magazines (this goes back about 10 years ago) Glock 17, 21. (yes parted from the frame like the sig sauers used to do for a while or crack thier slides...)

I had a HK P9S 9mm and a HK USP, .45acp never had a problem, in fact the pistol club used glocks, and soon returned to the Rugers becuase they could not handle the abuse of daily shooting. The HK P9s outperformed the glock in all but one area... it only held 9 rounds being a compact, and was my backup carry. A guy was shooting his reloads and had problems feeding in his glock, 5 rounds out of a magazine, he passed them to myself and a fellow shooter with a browning hi power, both our pistols chambered and fire no problems, no miss feeds. More ND (negligent discharges) happen with Glocks than any other pistol, and with the "saftey" trigger it sometimes under pressure situations does not go off becuase if you sntach the trigger, the saftey stops you firing.

The glock is ligthwieght, cheap and reasonably reliable, it winning point is it is light and cheap. Seals had Barretta's and went back to their 1911, they are also using HKs. One seal I spoke to said they would never have them as they do not have a proper saftey.

I do speak from experience... :P about 3000+ rounds out of a number of different glocks. 17,19, 21,23 and a 27...

Another point, my Paraordance P14-45 straight out of the box was a nice pistol, tad heavy compared to the 21, but one of the Instructors on the range believed his 21 would out shoot my Para(this was before I had it trciked up for comp work)... He made rather nasty comments about an old pistol, its a relic, etc etc... Well he was given a box of the same ammo, 2 targets 20M (60ft) down range, my P14, and his beloved Glock 21 in .45acp. Lets say the apology was accepted, and I beleive the glock was left only for his security work, his target competition peice from then on was not a glock.

PS the company may have been found in 1966, but the gluck only came out in 1988, HK designed the P9s around 1960, mass marketing 1969. If you pull an HK apart you see it heritage from the G3 rifle.
Magnum Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Magnum Jones »

IndigoJuliet wrote:Cannot agree with you more Carebear.
Magnum
I have owned 2 glocks brand new (they were the cheapest options) and after the slide want bang will never own another one again. There was an article about 3 months later about slides breaking and parting from the frames in one of the pistol magazines (this goes back about 10 years ago) Glock 17, 21. (yes parted from the frame like the sig sauers used to do for a while or crack thier slides...)

I had a HK P9S 9mm and a HK USP, .45acp never had a problem, in fact the pistol club used glocks, and soon returned to the Rugers becuase they could not handle the abuse of daily shooting. The HK P9s outperformed the glock in all but one area... it only held 9 rounds being a compact, and was my backup carry. A guy was shooting his reloads and had problems feeding in his glock, 5 rounds out of a magazine, he passed them to myself and a fellow shooter with a browning hi power, both our pistols chambered and fire no problems, no miss feeds. More ND (negligent discharges) happen with Glocks than any other pistol, and with the "saftey" trigger it sometimes under pressure situations does not go off becuase if you sntach the trigger, the saftey stops you firing.

The glock is ligthwieght, cheap and reasonably reliable, it winning point is it is light and cheap. Seals had Barretta's and went back to their 1911, they are also using HKs. One seal I spoke to said they would never have them as they do not have a proper saftey.

I do speak from experience... :P about 3000+ rounds out of a number of different glocks. 17,19, 21,23 and a 27...

Another point, my Paraordance P14-45 straight out of the box was a nice pistol, tad heavy compared to the 21, but one of the Instructors on the range believed his 21 would out shoot my Para(this was before I had it trciked up for comp work)... He made rather nasty comments about an old pistol, its a relic, etc etc... Well he was given a box of the same ammo, 2 targets 20M (60ft) down range, my P14, and his beloved Glock 21 in .45acp. Lets say the apology was accepted, and I beleive the glock was left only for his security work, his target competition peice from then on was not a glock.

PS the company may have been found in 1966, but the gluck only came out in 1988, HK designed the P9s around 1960, mass marketing 1969. If you pull an HK apart you see it heritage from the G3 rifle.

I agree there are many fine firearms and Glock is one of them.

All the data you post comes from reveiws and I used to buy into that hype. I have never owned an HK and I'm sure they are fine firearms ( for the price they had better be.)

I have spent thousands on firearms, ammo and countless hours on the range as well. I have seen guys that can take a cheap firearm and out shoot the best. How well do you know your equipment??

Do you play Golf?? The guys that watch all the t v adds spending thousands, and buying into the hype buy my product read the reveiws how great it is and spend no time on the most important basics of practice and range time seldom win. You take Tiger Woods clubs, and give him a ten dollar yard sale set who will win??

With that said, Indiana Jones of today would most likely carry an auto, with all the hollywood hype it would be a Glock.
IndigoJuliet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndigoJuliet »

Al the data in my post comes from personal use.

What part of "I have fired 3000+ rounds in glocks" , "I owned 2 glocks" I had 2 HKs" do you think I got from a review? and does not tend to speak from personal experience?

Please read the post ...

Yes I play golf but as my Aunt used to be a professional on the European circuit I get given what ever clubs she is no longer sponsored by, I have a mixed bag of Pings and Caloways and Caloways with Ping grips LOL
pigirondan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pigirondan »

Indy would carry a Model 10 S&W.
Custom79
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Revolvers..

Post by Custom79 »

In Dr. Jones shoes, I would probably carry a revolver. I agree with the choice of a Smith & Wesson.

I'm a wheelgun guy myself with both a Colt Trooper Mk III and a S & W Model 586 to my name. Both are beautiful, powerful and reliable!

Regards.

C79
cooncatbob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cooncatbob »

I think Indy would carry either a S&W 620 7 shot .357mag /38 special or a 629 .44mag/.44 special.
IndigoJuliet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndigoJuliet »

Have put through a number of boxs on this one iin .44mag, its nice piece of work. Hoeever I think if it had woooden grips it would be more Dr Jones.
Dang I might have read that in a magazine Nope sorry acutally been there done it. sorry Magnum Jones...

the rubber grips are nicer for recoil in .44 mag but the wood is more stylish
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

BELIEVE me, Pogue grips on a 4 inch 629 with full power 250 grain 44 mags is a MUST!! I've tried it both ways when I had mine. Trust me. :shock:

Regards! Michaelson
cooncatbob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cooncatbob »

IndigoJuliet wrote:Have put through a number of boxs on this one iin .44mag, its nice piece of work. Hoeever I think if it had woooden grips it would be more Dr Jones.
Dang I might have read that in a magazine Nope sorry acutally been there done it. sorry Magnum Jones...

the rubber grips are nicer for recoil in .44 mag but the wood is more stylish
I have the Hogue Pau Ferro grips on my 66 and found them quite an improvement over the combat grips that came on my revolver.
I do wish that i'd gotten a 4 inch barrel instead of 6.
carebear
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by carebear »

cooncatbob wrote:I have the Hogue Pau Ferro grips on my 66 and found them quite an improvement over the combat grips that came on my revolver.
What is this "instead of" of which you speak? Seems to me you have bracketed the target and now need to hie yourself to the gunstore and fire for effect. :D

Put a 4" in between that 2 and 6.
cooncatbob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cooncatbob »

carebear wrote:
cooncatbob wrote:I have the Hogue Pau Ferro grips on my 66 and found them quite an improvement over the combat grips that came on my revolver.
What is this "instead of" of which you speak? Seems to me you have bracketed the target and now need to hie yourself to the gunstore and fire for effect. :D

Put a 4" in between that 2 and 6.
Actually I do have this one, but it's vintage not modern.
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

My vote would be for Springfield Armory's XD series semi-automatic pistols. (9mm, S&W 40, or 45 ACP) short or long barrels. They are well made, very popular, and a pretty good value as well.
Westelk
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Westelk »

I own more revolvers than anything but I have to go with the Glock!
in fact the pistol club used glocks, and soon returned to the Rugers becuase they could not handle the abuse of daily shooting.
If you hate Glocks because of plastic or grip angle or trigger pull I could understand. But to claim they are unreliable/not durable is laughable :lol: I own a 17 with over 5000 trouble free rounds. This guy has over 100,000 through his 17 - http://www.volny.cz/glock/html/tested.htm and this guy has done just about anything you can imagine to his G21 including throwing it out of a plane (notice the HK didn't make it through his test). - http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?op ... id=90&Item[/code]
AnalogReigns
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Taurus Judge...

Post by AnalogReigns »

I think Indy might carry a Taurus Judge today... Lets one shoot .45 ammo OR, .410 SHOTGUN shells! (more ammo to choose from)

Makes for about the most devastating pistol available today.
According to Taurus the name refers to the number of judges that carry one of these into court for personal protection...
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

I'm not sure it matters what he'd have at home today. The way travel restrictions are in a post-911 world, he'd do like the rest of us and source the best he could get locally on arrival.

Okay, maybe he'd get one of his many loyal sidekicks to get something in advance and meet him at the airport...
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

Long John Tinfoil wrote:I'm not sure it matters what he'd have at home today. The way travel restrictions are in a post-911 world, he'd do like the rest of us and source the best he could get locally on arrival.
Depending on where he went, I guess that leaves him either a pellet pistol or an AK47. :lol: :wink:
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

Unfortunately, it seems to me (I wouldn't want anyone to act on the assumption that I speak from personal experience), in a lot of the world it's harder to find a pellet gun (or BB gun or pea-shooter) than it is to get your hands on some useful firepower. Quality will vary, as will price and the level of risk - personal or legal - involved in the acquisition, but you likely won't have to go more than halfway through your "six degrees of separation" before you get there.
John Falcon
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by John Falcon »

What ever happened to his Hi-Power...I'm wondering.
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

Didn't he lose that gun in the fight at the Raven Bar? I remember Indy
struggling with the local native on the floor, squeezing his wrist to make
him drop that gun, then engaging that goon in a fistfight - don't remember
him picking it back up, though. I think he was in too big a hurry to get
Marion outta there. :junior:
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

he had it on the bantu wind after that 8)
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

Right, right - my bad. Might he have picked it up after knocking the goon
out with the wooden stool? ( Maybe when the camera was off of him? ) :junior:
John Falcon
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by John Falcon »

If Indy was alive today (and smart), he'd go with a 9mm of some sort.
9mm isn't as powerful as a .45, but you can find 9mm rounds all over the world.