hat logo updated june 11th

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat logo updated june 11th

Post by BendingOak »

With such great comments and support from everyone I decided to push ahead. I wanted to share a image for a hat logo and to get everyones input. I hoping to have everything together by the beginning of July to start things off. I will have only 3 sizes to offer but will start to add a size or two as I go. All the feedback would be helpful. thanks Again.

Last edited by BendingOak on Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

I wouldn't change a thing, it looks so perfect like it is!!!

Maybe give us a little info. about your hats, and I apologize in advance if I missed it elsewhere.

What are the hats made from?
Sweat bands?
Wait time?
Price?
Available sizes?
WalkingEye
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by WalkingEye »

i think i'd capitalize the h in hat and possibly the c in co as well. also you may want to shift the name down slightly further from the logo.

so what sizes are you offering?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

my honest opinion: that is one great looking vintage logo.

if I had to desigh it I would loose the bulldog tough part.....sorry thats just my opinion...

but everything else is great :D

bests
Holt
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

PENMAN
Est. 2008

Penman Hat Company
Portland, Oregon U.S.A.
Bulldog Tough

That would be my suggestion for the text layout.

Jack
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Alternating between wearing my Magnoli/AB/HJ & my Penman lids!

Post by Johnny Fedora »

:roll: So...you just couldn't wait and had to show off my hard (and might I add beautiful) handy-work to the masses. Couldn't wait a day or two for an earth (or at least COW) shakeing announcment or at least a message board subject heading that sounds a little more thrilling like, oh, I don't know...ANNOUNCING THE OPENING OF THE PENMAN HAT CO.! Not "hat logo". Really?...:lol:

Just kidding man! :wink: It's really too cool, and I know that you're just jazzed to spring this on everybody. Congrats! Just let me handle the press from now on though. Just kidding, but seriously I was writting something up.Image

Johnny

p.s. Gabrielle, thanks.:) :oops: You should see the ones that didn't make the grade.

p.p.s. Indiana Holt, that's his actual dog.

p.p.p.s. WalkingEye, there's an aestectic reason those letters aren't in caps. :wink:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

Thanks Johnny Fedora for all your hard work. I was going to make a Announcement on July first. I really wanted to show off your work.

The hats will be all very high quality 100% beaver felt.
Sweat, and ribbon is not 100% worked out just yet but should be by the first of july. That why I have not placed prices just as of yet. I'll post sizes real soon when I get my next block.
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

I love the logo. I wish you all the best in this hat venture.
Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chewie Louie »

I love dogs, but I'd lose the Bulldog image as well. Kinda takes away from the traditional old style look.
carolinamike
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by carolinamike »

Nice looking logo.
Last edited by carolinamike on Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I love it. I love everything about the logo. It just screams "old time hat." I will definately be picking one of these up. Your work is simply sublime. As soon as you have a projected price, let us know and I will pre-order, given you have a 7 1/2 size block. If not, get a move on it! :lol: No seriously, I will buy one as soon as they become available.

Congradulations Bending Oak!

Dave
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

It's a great looking logo, but it just doesn't look much like a hat logo to me. It looks more like a logo for an Antique shop. I think the text layout is the main problem, for me at least. Putting PENMAN in the center in bold caps is reminiscent of the way Stetson and other old hat companies do their logos (they also use crests frequently). Just my 2 cents, but the logo looks great as it is.

Jack
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

Like it a lot, and if you hadn't asked for critiques I probably wouldn't have noticed that the front wheel of the Penny-farthing is about 1/4 the diameter of the back wheel up in the (hypothetical) air. Probably done to balance the image in the oval frame, but you did ask.

LJ
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

After looking over the logo again, I would prefer the "Bulldog Tough" to be smaller, as well as the bulldog itself. I love the bulldog though, I think it should stay, just smaller.

Dave
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Johnny Fedora »

Long John Tinfoil wrote:Like it a lot, and if you hadn't asked for critiques I probably wouldn't have noticed that the front wheel of the Penny-farthing is about 1/4 the diameter of the back wheel up in the (hypothetical) air. Probably done to balance the image in the oval frame, but you did ask.

LJ
It's just jumping off the word "the". I like to take bikes off sweet jumps. :wink:

Johnny
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Usually the seat and bars on mine tilt with the trajectory.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

i love it!!! and if you didn't know....i love the bulldog too! maybe when i place an order, you can put the bulldog on the ribbon :D

the penman hat company......the birth of something new....what a great time to be a gearhead!
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

How about colors? I'm not really set on the color's yet.
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Sepia-toned?
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Gold graphics and lettering on a dark red, burgundy or marroon background. Gold on black should look really nice, too. Or white lettering and graphics on midnight blue.

Jack
Indycrazy5187
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycrazy5187 »

That logo is so cool...it's one of those logos that when you see it....you remember it and that's good.
Fink
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fink »

Portland? I thought you were a New Yorker... :?: :lol:
Great logo, but the few changes I could suggest have already mentioned.
All I can ask is what it has already have been asked, plus: Are you planning to offer alternative colors? International customers support? PayPal payment allowed? Website catalog expected soon? Ultra rough alternative models can be expected?
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

Black on burgundy would be great!!!

Or even a classy off white, like white with just a touch of brown mixed in, the way a Siamese cat is a creamy color. And of course black lettering.
Indiana Blooze
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Blooze »

Firetruck Red with white lettering, outlined in black :wink:
And if you can believe it, I love the bulldog!!
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I'm a New Yorker now living in Portland.

Blooze, Why an I not shocked by your answer. Thats the way a fire engine or truck should be but not in my liners. You do know my firefighting days are now over.
Last edited by BendingOak on Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
myamoebafriend
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by myamoebafriend »

What sizes are you going to offering to start out with?
BazzanoJones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by BazzanoJones »

Beautiful vintage logo! Here's yours logo with my personal little changing in the layout composition...hope this help you to catch up the final logo! :wink:

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

A BONE SHAKER!! I love those old bikes...even though they were responsible for more broken legs than any other model ever made, they're CLASSICS!!

I TOTALLY approve, Oak!! :clap:

HIGH regards! Michaelson
Terrasolo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Terrasolo »

BazzanoJones wrote:Beautiful vintage logo! Here's yours logo with my personal little changing in the layout composition...hope this help you to catch up the final logo! :wink:

I wasn't too keen on the bull dog part, so having it accented would not have been an option I would have gone with, but I have to say that it really does look good.

I know it can be tough when someone else tweaks your design, but this one gets my vote.

however, after another look I might still lose the bull Dog part and just use the accent for the established info.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Cool logo John, I love the "The Prisoner" homage.

In the same way that the OR doesn't need the period after it you can probably loose the ones in USA too or just have one after the A.
WalkingEye
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by WalkingEye »

BazzanoJones wrote:Beautiful vintage logo! Here's yours logo with my personal little changing in the layout composition...hope this help you to catch up the final logo! :wink:

I really like this version!
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

Thanks everyone for your input so far. I'm going to consider what everyone has come up with. I think for color I'm going with a white background but need to see what is the best color to go with for the print ( image/logo). I'm think white liner because it would work for both grey and brown hats.
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Johnny Fedora »

Oak, good call on the white liner. I hadn't thought of two colors of hats when I made my suggestion for light gold.

BazzanoJones, I actually quite like the flourish around the dog. It kind of reminds me of Main Street, U.S.A., Disneyland. I should have thought of that...As for the caps on hat and co. That would kind of detract from a particular look/homage that Oak and I were playing with here. Let me put it another way...my screename not only serves as a cool name but also message to other discerning fans that I have a great love for all things Disney. In much the same way do both the bike and the choice of lettering serve to revel something about Oak. While not exact, those images together will speak to those who get it (and they are too cool for school! :wink: ), and to those who don't, well...its still a cool logo. Wow. I explained it without having to explain it. Is that vague enough for you Oak? :lol:
Last edited by Johnny Fedora on Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

The second logo is really awesome!
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

So Oak's a fan of Indy AND e e cummings?
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Johnny Fedora wrote:Oak, good call on the white liner. I hadn't thought of two colors of hats when I made my suggestion for light gold.

BazzanoJones, I actually quite like the flourish around the dog. It kind of reminds me of Main Street, U.S.A., Disneyland. I should have thought of that...As for the caps on hat and co. That would kind of detract from a particular look/homage that Oak and I were playing with here. Let me put it another way...my screename not only serves as a cool name but also message to other discerning fans that I have a great love for all things Disney. In much the same way do both the bike and the choice of lettering serve to revel something about Oak. While not exact, those images together will speak to those who get it (and they are too cool for school! :wink: ), and to those who don't, well...its still a cool logo. Wow. I explained it without having to explain it. Is that vague enough for you Oak? :lol:

I guess so. :lol:

What should my sweatband read

1- the Penman hat company
handmade
Fine Fur Felt

2- the penman hat co.
handmade
100% beaver felt

3- the Penman hat company
handmade

........or should it be handcrafted?
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

:arrow: This side toward enemy

Sorry, just having some fun. Looking at surplus gear that includes wear instructions can do that to ya.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

2- the penman hat co.
handmade
100% beaver felt
My vote.

Regards! Michaelson
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

I'm with him, but I'd go with "handcrafted".
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

Terrasolo wrote:

I wasn't too keen on the bull dog part, so having it accented would not have been an option I would have gone with, but I have to say that it really does look good.

I know it can be tough when someone else tweaks your design, but this one gets my vote.

however, after another look I might still lose the bull Dog part and just use the accent for the established info.
This one is perfect!!!

And I'd go with:

Penman Hat Co.
Handcrafted
100% Beaver
Fink
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fink »

I believe "handcrafted" is better because is more proper.
Indiana Blooze
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Blooze »

Handcrafted by J. Penman
Pure Beaver Felt

Yeah, I heard about your back. After 21 years I think I have filled out injury reports on all of my major joints.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

The Penman Hat Co.
Handcrafted for ______________ (i don't know if you want to do this but i've always enjoyed bespoke tagging...if i'm using the term correctly)

Fine Beaver Felt
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I'd stick with either 'pure' or '100%' beaver felt.

The term 'fine beaver felt' is also used on hats that are blends.....unless you plan on making them with blends.

Regards! Michaelson
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Johnny Fedora »

Good call Michaelson! :wink:

Johnny
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I like the second idea but would change only one detail:

The Penman Hat Co.
Handmade
Pure Beaver Felt

I think that "pure" sounds better than "100%." I also like Indiana G's idea of personaliztion. I love the throw-back to the era of bespoke fedoras. It is only fitting that a handmade fedora would be SO personalized that your name would be printed on the sweat. Maybe not the whole name; maybe just initials, but some detail like that would be great.

Dave
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

DR Ulloa wrote:I like the second idea but would change only one detail:

The Penman Hat Co.
Handmade
Pure Beaver Felt

I think that "pure" sounds better than "100%." I also like Indiana G's idea of personaliztion. I love the throw-back to the era of bespoke fedoras. It is only fitting that a handmade fedora would be SO personalized that your name would be printed on the sweat. Maybe not the whole name; maybe just initials, but some detail like that would be great.

Dave
then its settled then.....everyone will have their hats stating:

HANDMADE FOR INDIANA G

....very touching guys and thanks for the recognition.

now, oak, lets talk royalties before i fire out a C & D order.... :P
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

Michaelson wrote:
2- the penman hat co.
handmade
100% beaver felt
My vote.

Regards! Michaelson
Mine too.
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Just out of curiosity, what would it cost to have our various custom hatters put the customer's initials on the band?
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Long John Tinfoil wrote:Just out of curiosity, what would it cost to have our various custom hatters put the customer's initials on the band?
The hatters I've dealt with didn't charge anything at all.

Jack