I have ordered my first fedora (Fed Deluxe IV) - It arrives!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Jens_Hoppe
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

I have ordered my first fedora (Fed Deluxe IV) - It arrives!

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

So this is my first foray into the fedora section of the message board... :)

Re-watching KOTCS yesterday convinced me I had to have a fedora myself. Price and small waiting lists being priorities, I went with a Federation Deluxe IV. It was in stock and should be sent straight away - and I'll let you know when I get it. Provided I got the size right (I went with a size 60), I will probably be asking your advice on how to shape it in a few weeks' time... ;)
Last edited by Jens_Hoppe on Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
morganswift

Post by morganswift »

Congratulations. It's a great hat. Be sure to post some pics when you get it.

Cool Moomintroll avatar by the way 8)

Cheers
Alex
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Congratulations! Can't wait to see what you get & do with it. :D

Cheers!

Dan
Terrasolo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Terrasolo »

braver then me, I was not ready to attempt to shape my own hat just yet so I went with a custom shaping. Will be interested in seeing before and after shots on this.
Jens_Hoppe
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Terrasolo wrote:braver then me, I was not ready to attempt to shape my own hat just yet so I went with a custom shaping. Will be interested in seeing before and after shots on this.
It's not very hard. At least that's what I have read and what I keep telling myself! "It's not hard, it's not hard, there's nothing to be afraid of..." :D
Terrasolo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Terrasolo »

Jens_Hoppe wrote:
Terrasolo wrote:braver then me, I was not ready to attempt to shape my own hat just yet so I went with a custom shaping. Will be interested in seeing before and after shots on this.
It's not very hard. At least that's what I have read and what I keep telling myself! "It's not hard, it's not hard, there's nothing to be afraid of..." :D
LOL, I'll track your progress, it might just convince me to have a go.
Vaderbreath
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Vaderbreath »

Guys, shaping these hats (especially the Fed) is not hard at all. Take your time... the felt is pretty forgiving, and just keep checking in the mirror. I love to bash my own hats, but I also remember the first one I did and I was nervous to even touch it. After I mustered the guts to bash it, I was okay. In fact, a few weeks later, I just mashed the whole thing up and sat on it. It still came back just fine and looks great. The main thing-have fun with it!

-Corey
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: ...listening to a tinny piano playing in the parlor downstairs....

Post by IndianaBogart »

Congratulations on your new hat! I have a Fed III and I love it. And from what I hear the Fed IV are even better.
prairiejones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: In the damp jungles of Peru, drinking Dewar's with Pagey.

Post by prairiejones »

Good choice. From what I've seen, these new Feds look great. I got one three years ago. The old block was ok, but nothing like this new look. I had mine reblocked by Fedora, and the shape is just like my AB.

Shaping is a breeze. Just follow some of the good advice on here. NO STEAM!!!!! And turn it. Any questions, PM me.
Jens_Hoppe
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

After only a week, the hat has arrived! It looks beautiful.

... And it's too big. :( My measurement of 60 must have been a bit on the large side. However, I can bring it into size by applying foam strip all the way around the inside of the brim, so I am guessing that a 59 would have been perfect.

I have also, possibly a bit too impetuously, applied Akubra's "step 2" in their sizing guide, ie. sprayed water on the sweatband and subsequently heated it with a hairdryer, and since that wrinkled up the sweatband a bit (without seeming to do anything about size), for all I know I might have lost my right to return it...

And no, I haven't made any serious attempts to shape it yet.

What to do? As I wrote, the hat can be made to fit, but is foam strip all the way around an unsatisfactory solution?
BazzanoJones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by BazzanoJones »

Depending in how many size you must shrink it. If the hat is a 60 and you need a 59 the adesive foam it's a perfect solution. Wear it for a while: foam will go in shape and the sweatband will shrink a little. Remember: better a larger hat than a little one! :wink:

Of course, if you have a 60 and need to shrink it to a 56...this is a problem! :?
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

Jens_Hoppe wrote:After only a week, the hat has arrived! It looks beautiful.

... And it's too big. :( My measurement of 60 must have been a bit on the large side. However, I can bring it into size by applying foam strip all the way around the inside of the brim, so I am guessing that a 59 would have been perfect.

I have also, possibly a bit too impetuously, applied Akubra's "step 2" in their sizing guide, ie. sprayed water on the sweatband and subsequently heated it with a hairdryer, and since that wrinkled up the sweatband a bit (without seeming to do anything about size), for all I know I might have lost my right to return it...

And no, I haven't made any serious attempts to shape it yet.

What to do? As I wrote, the hat can be made to fit, but is foam strip all the way around an unsatisfactory solution?
someone else here said they got a 60 which was too big, returned it, got a 59 which was too small after realizing it shrank half a size after a week and then got a 60 again. So give it time to shrink.

My head measures a 59 but I'm still going to get a 60 and trust hatsdirect when he says it's really a 59.5
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

It's better a little larger than smaller. Put the foam inside and it will fits perfectly. Then the hat will shrink a little, naturally, during next months. My Fed III was quite large, now it fits perfectly without any artificial shrinking.
Jens_Hoppe
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

I have posted a couple of pictures in the Fed IV thread.