Just Ordered A Magnoli HJ

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

mwells
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Just Ordered A Magnoli HJ

Post by mwells »

Decided to get a Magnoli HJ it seemed like the best of both worlds orginal maker etc and Steve redoes them to make the better I am getting the cairo streets bash I can not wait to get it. Now if I could ever have luck contact AB that would be next.
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Alternating between wearing my Magnoli/AB/HJ & my Penman lids!

Post by Johnny Fedora »

:clap: Congrats on the purchase!!! You'll find after a while, that your Mags HJ is a constant companion. Enjoy!Image

Johnny

p.s. Don't forget to post pics when it arrives!-J
Indycrazy5187
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Mag

Post by Indycrazy5187 »

I ordered mine one the 25th...can't wait.
mufflowne
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mufflowne »

Is that your first Indy hat?

Props on the purchase.
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

Congratulations on a great choice. Post pics when you receive it and we will issue you an Official Magnoli HJ Owners Club Certificate!

(Ok... there's no certificate. But who needs a certificate when you have such a great hat!)
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

Congrats, Steve does wonderful work.
myamoebafriend
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by myamoebafriend »

I'm hoping this will be my next gear purchase after I receive Todd's shirt.
mwells
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

HJ

Post by mwells »

Pics will be posted as soon as it arrives this will be my second Indy hat ever. I had a Peters Bros hat a few years ago and it was great but I ended up selling it. The HJ's are the real deal though I had never ordered one before because of the wait time and quality which is now all resolved :)
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Can I ask what the total damage was including shipping and everything?
Indycrazy5187
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Magnoli

Post by Indycrazy5187 »

IF you're getting a magnoli...it's 305 with shipping. But if you're in another country then it's i think 315.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

What was the wait time he quoted you? I am planning on purchasing one in the coming weeks and want to know how long I will be waiting. Its don't going to stop me from ordering one if it is fairly long, bu just nice to know.

Dave
Indycrazy5187
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Mag

Post by Indycrazy5187 »

He told me they ship 1 to 2 months...but i'm not going to get my hopes up...with the movie out i'm sure he's getting a slew of orders...so order now if you really want it.....I've ready nothing but good things about Magnoli so I'm happy I went with him...he's also very quick in responding to emails and very generous in helping you out...I think I sent him like 5 emails in one day asking questions and he answered them all in detail....I know Johnny Fedora on Club Obi Wan knows a lot about Magnoli as well..he could also help you
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

Wonderful pics Tron. The hat is so beautiful, it really looks, aside from the AB, the closest to the real thing I have seen.
Indycrazy5187
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Mag

Post by Indycrazy5187 »

It looks great all dirty like that....priceless.
ANJALI
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by ANJALI »

Just probably a stupid question...how to order a Magnoli HJ?
I've been looking for on Internet but I didn't see anything...
Regards
Anjali
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

Would a Magnoli be better suited as a Raiders hat? in other words would it lose its potential as a LC hat?
myamoebafriend
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by myamoebafriend »

blueoakleyz wrote:Would a Magnoli be better suited as a Raiders hat? in other words would it lose its potential as a LC hat?
Could someone also answer this regarding it's potential as a TOD hat in addition to it's potential as a LC hat as well?
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

myamoebafriend wrote:
blueoakleyz wrote:Would a Magnoli be better suited as a Raiders hat? in other words would it lose its potential as a LC hat?
Could someone also answer this regarding it's potential as a TOD hat in addition to it's potential as a LC hat as well?
Yeah I may even like the ToD better I'm not sure..
ANJALI
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by ANJALI »

Thanks Tron7960 !
Regards
Anjali :wink:
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

In my opinion the Magnoli HJ/AB is best suited for Raiders or LC. The Christy's Adventurer is perfect for TOD styling.

Jack
mwells
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

HJ

Post by mwells »

Yes I agree the HJ is more suited for Raiders or LC. Actually to get technical I think it is the exact same as the hat used in LC so that would be the most accurate but I like the shape of the Raiders hat more. TOD I would go with somthing different but I have never been a fan of the various hat styles seen in that film or the coat for that matter. I am not doging on it it just seemed to me that the entire costume during that film just looked so different from the one before and even the ones after it for that matter.
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: HJ

Post by eazybox »

mwells wrote:Yes I agree the HJ is more suited for Raiders or LC. Actually to get technical I think it is the exact same as the hat used in LC so that would be the most accurate but I like the shape of the Raiders hat more. TOD I would go with somthing different but I have never been a fan of the various hat styles seen in that film or the coat for that matter. I am not doging on it it just seemed to me that the entire costume during that film just looked so different from the one before and even the ones after it for that matter.
I think you are right. There are 2 styles from TOD that I really like: Suspension Bridge and Elephant Ride. I just bought an Adventurer, and it's ideal for those looks.

But I also own a Magnoli HJ/AB, and it is the cream of the crop as far as Raiders hats go. You can't go wrong getting a Magnoli.

Jack
TimInKC
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by TimInKC »

Tron, is the distressing of your hat natural wear, or did you artificially distress it? It looks fantastic.

I'm a longtime Indy fanatic (saw Raiders on VHS in 1984 when I was 4 years-old and I've been hooked ever since), but only now did I bite the bullet and register here at COW. Glad to finally join you guys. I feel like I'm "home"...heh.

I've had a Peter Bros. Raiders custom for several years, but I'm going to be ordering a new fedora here soon. Like everyone else, I'd love an AB custom job, but with the long waiting time, I'm thinking I may order a Magnoli HJ/AB. I'll definitely be wanting to achieve that well-worn "Streets of Cairo" look.

---Tim
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

TimInKC wrote:
Tron, is the distressing of your hat natural wear, or did you artificially distress it? It looks fantastic.

I'm a longtime Indy fanatic (saw Raiders on VHS in 1984 when I was 4 years-old and I've been hooked ever since), but only now did I bite the bullet and register here at COW. Glad to finally join you guys. I feel like I'm "home"...heh.

I've had a Peter Bros. Raiders custom for several years, but I'm going to be ordering a new fedora here soon. Like everyone else, I'd love an AB custom job, but with the long waiting time, I'm thinking I may order a Magnoli HJ/AB. I'll definitely be wanting to achieve that well-worn "Streets of Cairo" look.

---Tim
Thanks. I took a paintbrush, some fullers earth and used screen shots from the cairo truck chase as reference/inspiration.
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: HJ

Post by eazybox »

Aeris_Canon wrote:[quote
Let's see them side by side, Eazy! Another Christy's is always good to see. Can you show us the difference between the two? Thanks!

Here's a Todd's HJ regular Poet block TOD.
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/3442/toddshj12nf4.jpg
Ask and ye shall receive. The Magnoli is on the left, and the Christy's is on the right:

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd12 ... 0_0529.jpg

AC, the Todd's you posted looks great, as do all your hats.

Jack
Anderson
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Anderson »

1-2 months isn't that bad, I've been waiting for my AB since the beginning of may- last year! :D
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Aeris_Canon wrote:Thanks and thanks for the pics.

The crown on the Christy's looks "right" for Indy's hat. Nice job on the T.O.D. Eazy! Are you wearing it much?
Yes, I love the Christy's and it will probably become my favorite to wear. I'll see how it holds up over time. The bash just fell right into place with no trouble at all.

Jack
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Johnny Fedora »

:roll: Ok...This question seems to be popping up alot lately from old timers to newbies. Everyone needs to remember that the Mags fedora is NOT a factory hat but a from the ground up custom built hat...by Steve Delk. The thing can look like any hat from any scene in ANY of the original films. It's not a question of "does this hat lend itself to Raiders or Last Crusade"...tell Indy Magnoli when you order it what you want and Fedora will make what you want.Period :wink:

Johnny
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Johnny Fedora wrote:
:roll: Ok...This question seems to be popping up alot lately from old timers to newbies. Everyone needs to remember that the Mags fedora is NOT a factory hat but a from the ground up custom built hat...by Steve Delk. The thing can look like any hat from any scene in ANY of the original films. It's not a question of "does this hat lend itself to Raiders or Last Crusade"...tell Indy Magnoli when you order it what you want and Fedora will make what you want.Period :wink:

Johnny
Keep in mind that you would need a different blockshape for TOD and maybe even LC, depending on which scene you want. I think the main intent for the Magnoli was to restore the original Raiders block to a standard HJ. That block wasn't used for the other movies and doesn't work as well esp. for TOD.

The Magnoli is in a class by itself as a Raiders replica from the original manufacturer and assembled by The Master. But if you want an authentic TOD look and prefer not to spend a small fortune just for the HJ brand name, in my opinion the Christy's Adventurer is your best bet right now. Actually, I would urge you, if you can, to get both of these hats! :wink:

Jack
Kevin_Kenobi
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Kevin_Kenobi »

I just bought my first hat from Magnolia's site today!

2 months is what he quoted me as well.....Im so very excited!!

We could start a "Fedora waiting period support club". :D

Nice pictures from all you guys thanks for posting them :)
Indycrazy5187
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycrazy5187 »

Kevin_Kenobi wrote:I just bought my first hat from Magnolia's site today!

2 months is what he quoted me as well.....Im so very excited!!

We could start a "Fedora waiting period support club". :D

Nice pictures from all you guys thanks for posting them :)
I'm beaming with anticipation for when I look outside and see a box on my doorstep....It's only been 15 days since I ordered it and I feel like it has been forever hahaha
Kolawan
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Kolawan »

eazybox wrote:
Johnny Fedora wrote:

Johnny
Keep in mind that you would need a different blockshape for TOD and maybe even LC, depending on which scene you want. I think the main intent for the Magnoli was to restore the original Raiders block to a standard HJ. That block wasn't used for the other movies and doesn't work as well esp. for TOD.

The Magnoli is in a class by itself as a Raiders replica from the original manufacturer and assembled by The Master. But if you want an authentic TOD look and prefer not to spend a small fortune just for the HJ brand name, in my opinion the Christy's Adventurer is your best bet right now. Actually, I would urge you, if you can, to get both of these hats! :wink:

Jack
OK, stupid question, but then why does Magnoli get his hats manufactured by Steve with only a 1-2 month timeframe and Steve's AB hats have a 14+ month wait? I suppose the fact that Magnoli is replicating the HJ Raiders block might have something to do with it, but if you can style Magnoli's any way you want, what's the difference between whom you order it through? I'm already down for an AB, but this wait is EXCRUCIATING! But worth it in the end I'm sure.
Jason
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Well, with an AB, Steve has to make the hat from scratch. With the Mag/HJ, Steve does only a number of things (blocking, pouncing, ribbon, and sweat) that basically turn the hat into a custom HJ. I know he has written somewhere that it does not take a lot of time for him to do it, which is why the wait time is not very long. Not only that, the AB is beaver while the Mag/HJ is rabbit. The Mag/HJ might as well be a rabbit AB though.

Dave
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Johnny Fedora »

DR Ulloa wrote:Well, with an AB, Steve has to make the hat from scratch. With the Mag/HJ, Steve does only a number of things (blocking, pouncing, ribbon, and sweat) that basically turn the hat into a custom HJ. I know he has written somewhere that it does not take a lot of time for him to do it, which is why the wait time is not very long. Not only that, the AB is beaver while the Mag/HJ is rabbit. The Mag/HJ might as well be a rabbit AB though.

Dave
Well, actually fairly scratchbilt :wink: actually. The HJ bodies are shipped to him and he still pounces/sands, infuses the felt with B & L, hand stiches the...wait, let me think, yup almost every step he uses when he makes an AdventureBilt hat in fact there's only one step that he does diffrently and that's it as far as I know. The trick is (I think) the blocks. The Adventurebilt hat uses (for the most part) the new block (aka: the CS blocks) this leaves Steve's "Old Raiders" blocks open for Mags HJs. Part of the wait time for new AB's is the availability of a block in a given size. With the Old Raiders blocks free well...there it is. Now I might be wrong but that seems to be the case.

Johnny