5 1/2 inches bashed or open crown?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

5 1/2 inches bashed or open crown?

Post by Mark Brody »

I know that the Raiders hat was 5 1/2 inches tall. I believe I've heard somewhere on these boards, that it's 5 1/2 inches open crown. In my experience, hats lose about an inch with a center dent (depending on the blockshape), and I find it hard to believe that such a tall hat would be, bashed, anything less than 5 inches. Does anyone know the true story?

What I'm REALLY looking for here is; how tall was the Raiders hat open crown?
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

5 1/2 inches
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

Is that another vague answer with a hint of sarcasm, or the answer to the final question? I can't really tell.
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

Yeah, if you'll review the stickied thread, "Indy's hero screen used Raiders fedora", it discusses that a bit. It seems they claim the center dent is now thought to be about 4.5 inches I believe. Sounds a tad skimpy to me too but that's what the authorities say.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

As far as I know, the official open crown height is 5 1/2 inches. Keep in mind that many factors will go into how tall a bashed hat will look. The straight sides of the Raiders crown, for example, will make it look taller on a persons head than a tapered crown would. The width of the ribbon, lighting, the exact bash, the width of the brim and how curled it is... even how dusty the hat is will have an effect. Then, the wearer's face and build get factored in.

That's why, if somebody asks me for advice on getting the right look on a custom Indy hat (like an AB) I recommend sending photos and asking for a hat that will have the same "look" rather than the same measurements, when worn.
WeeMadHamish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by WeeMadHamish »

bigrex wrote:It seems they claim the center dent is now thought to be about 4.5 inches I believe. Sounds a tad skimpy to me too but that's what the authorities say.
I believe that's 4.5 inches at the front pinch. That's where I creased mine to, anyway. 4.5" in the front, 5" at the top of the humps, and 4" at the back.

5 1/2" open crown, of course.