How do you hang your jacket (specifically a Todd's standard)

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Nos402
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

How do you hang your jacket (specifically a Todd's standard)

Post by Nos402 »

My roommate got a Todd's standard and is trying to figure out the best way to hang it. He put it over the back of a chair one night which left some dimples which are slowly disappearing but we figure any hanger would probably do the same and leave bumps on the shoulders.
starks_6
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by starks_6 »

If memory serves me correctly you throw it in an old suitcase...but you have to throw a whip and S&W on top of it and say the cool magic words....
"besides, you know what a cautious fellow I am"!

And it should be sweet :lol:
indyroh
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by indyroh »

I've never hung my jacket up before! I have it smashed into a wad laying on my floor. It really helps with that "worn" look without actually beating it up!
TheChimp
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by TheChimp »

If you're gunna hang it, hang it on wide hangers (I prefer wooden ones) to help retain shape. Don't use thin ones, whether they be metal or plastic.
TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TonyRush »

If you're going to hang it, I'd recommend wide wooden or plastic hangers: the kind that you get when you buy a good-quality suit. Basically, you want the hanger to have enough surface area that it can support the weight of the jacket without "pushing" at the leather.

Or, you can just throw it in the corner when you're not wearing it.

Tony
rigor
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rigor »

I took a thin plastic hangar, put paper towel rolls over the ends, then wrapped the paper towel rolls with bubble wrap. Sounds silly. :oops: Okay, actually it IS silly, but I could then slide the rolls out to make the hangar as long as I wanted. I could also adjust the slope of the hangar's shoulders since the thin hangar rattles around in the large paper towel rolls. Once I was happy with everything, I just taped the rolls to the hangar. I have the jacket supported all the way out to the sleeve seam, and the hangar is extremely puffy so there's no chance of dimpling the leather. Next up is duplicating my chubby hangar in wood.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

All my leather jackets get gently folded and put in a box without a lid. I fit 3 jackets per box. I never hang them.
Woodford
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Woodford »

How about making a hanger like Toht had! :) Has anyone done that?
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Yes. Koreana Jones AKA Indiana Jun made them a few years ago.
MACHONE
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by MACHONE »

TonyRush wrote:If you're going to hang it, I'd recommend wide wooden or plastic hangers: the kind that you get when you buy a good-quality suit. Basically, you want the hanger to have enough surface area that it can support the weight of the jacket without "pushing" at the leather.

Or, you can just throw it in the corner when you're not wearing it.

Tony
I agree with and use the suit hangers. I also use the wide wooden ones. My Todd's jacket has not gotten any dimples on the shoulders with either of these hangers.
Ben
Rambler
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

US Wings

Post by Rambler »

My US WIngs lambskin Indy came with a very nice hanger. It is the first one I have ever had that was actually wide enough across the "shoulders" to fully support a 2XL jacket without leaving bumps in the top seams. It is also "thicker" so the radius of the top surface is lager and spreads out the load on the jacket better.
Perhaps they sell them seperately.
Piers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Piers »

Surely something like this could be found at walmart, target, or perhaps any jacket or suit store

I love that Sarge puts them in with his jackets.. I wish I had a dozen more..
WeeMadHamish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by WeeMadHamish »

I always hang mine from a hook by the loop. Doesn't seem to have affected it adversely.
TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TonyRush »

I would not hang it from the loop. Over time, I think you might find that loop is suffering from the weight of the jacket.

But that's just me. When my Tony Nowak CS jacket arrives, it'll be on a hanger, thrown on the floor of my office or on my back. LOL

Tony
AdaminNYC
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by AdaminNYC »

I'm of the "throw it in a corner" school. I've read of people going at their jackets with sandpaper and rubbing alcohol to make them look aged. I think a little natural wrinkling couldn't hurt.

I've also been rolling up my cowhide horizontally. It has been helping to soften the leather. I think softening the zipper area helps avoid demon roll.
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

Piers wrote:Surely something like this could be found at walmart, target, or perhaps any jacket or suit store

I love that Sarge puts them in with his jackets.. I wish I had a dozen more..
At Wal-Mart I picked up two of these, one for each of my Raiders jackets. I usually hang my jackets on the hangars when in storage (like my very heavy G & B winter cowhide) but I use the loop to hang the jacket overnight when I'm using it, like my cowhide Wested that I use for 3 out of 4 seasons.
Joe
TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TonyRush »

AdaminNYC wrote:I think softening the zipper area helps avoid demon roll.
I've seen this phrase only occasionally.

What is "demon roll" and why is it called that?

Tony
AdaminNYC
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by AdaminNYC »

What is "demon roll" and why is it called that?
Allow me to finally be the person who refers to another thread:
http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?t=28916
TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TonyRush »

Great info, thanks for the direction. Also, on THAT thread there's a link to another thread that has some pics as well.

Tony
LANDINGPARTY
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LANDINGPARTY »

Does anyone keep their jacket in a gamet bag?
TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TonyRush »

I've been told that leather shouldn't go into an enclosed bag. Something about humidity, perhaps?

Tony
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

I believe that's for plastic bags, as they don't "breathe." A garment bag should probably be okay, depending on what's it made of. Although personally, I wouldn't put mine in a garment bag, just because I don't think it really needs it. But that's JMO. (Hey! That's the first time I've used that abbreviation!)

Shane