Nowak Jacket Owners Thread

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

With all the water scenes, that may have applied some sort of waterproofing to the jacket.
'Blues
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

IndyBlues wrote:With all the water scenes, that may have applied some sort of waterproofing to the jacket.
'Blues
I *knew* it! The secret aging technique is Pecards!!! ;) :P

...I'm kidding of course...
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Dr._J wrote:I also heard you both like Indiana Jones? Any truth to that? ;)
I'm sorry…"Indiana" who? :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Castor Dioscuri wrote:
IndyBlues wrote:With all the water scenes, that may have applied some sort of waterproofing to the jacket.
'Blues

Oh, I don't know. It's a great moustache wax and night face creme.... :-k 8-[

Regards! Michaelson
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Michaelson wrote:
Castor Dioscuri wrote:
'Blues

Oh, I don't know. It's a great moustache wax and night face creme.... :-k 8-[

Regards! Michaelson
That's it. I'm waking up screaming for the rest of my life! :cry: 8-[
Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chewie Louie »

taikonaut wrote:
Nebraska Brad wrote:On my second time seeing the movie I was watching for the elusive scalloped pocket. In the scene where he and Mutt are walking through the streets in the market place there is that famous shot that is floated as evidence of the scalloped pocket. As you watch Indy walk you see a view in the same shot that shows a non scalloped pocket and then as he turns the scalloped illusion appears. At least this is how I saw it. Can someone else confirm or deny this?

-Nebraska

FYI I dont own a Wested so no brand loyalty.
I am pretty sure they had jackets with the so call scalloped pockets in the film. Not saying who made this or that jacket. For non action slow scenes they are more likely to have a premium looking ones as oppose to the ones used for action and by stuntmen. Also nowadays computer enhancement are used to correct anything.
I don't know why you keep believing jackets with scalloped pockets appeared in CS, especially when there are only what? 2-3 photos that give that impression? ](*,) I've already demonstrated in the other Nowak jacket thread how the illusion of scalloped pocket appears based on the perspective and angle of the shot. I even posted demonstrative pics using my own Nowak jacket, and my observation after seeing CS again.

Nowak owners you can rest easy. You have an accurate duplicate of the jacket used in CS.
taikonaut
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by taikonaut »

Chewie Louie wrote:[
I don't know why you keep believing jackets with scalloped pockets appeared in CS, especially when there are only what? 2-3 photos that give that impression? ](*,) I've already demonstrated in the other Nowak jacket thread how the illusion of scalloped pocket appears based on the perspective and angle of the shot. I even posted demonstrative pics using my own Nowak jacket, and my observation after seeing CS again.

Nowak owners you can rest easy. You have an accurate duplicate of the jacket used in CS.
I am not convinced by the illusion you re-created, it wasnt enough to convince me but I have no doubt what was featured on the promotional photos of CS. There are nuances that gave it away, ie type of lens used, optical distortion, etc, there wasnt enough to say otherwise. Pocket snap imprint on one of the photos I posted also suggest very clearly that the pocket flap near it is elongated, ie a scallop shaped.

I think you are worrying too much about screen accuracy. No one is suggesting TN did not made the movie jacket differently, it is just plausible he might have made some with scalloped pocket, the wardrobe people swapped the pockets or another jacket by someone else could have been included in some scenes deliberately or accidentally.
RNomura
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by RNomura »

Thanks Chewie Louie!

I'm loving my Nowak immensely though the weather has gotten a bit too warm to wear it. It will definitely be making an appearance at the studio screening this evening.

I daresay that this jacket looks much more screen accurate than I look like Harrison Ford. :)

~Ron
Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chewie Louie »

taikonaut wrote:
Chewie Louie wrote:[

I am not convinced by the illusion you re-created, it wasnt enough to convince me but I have no doubt what was featured on the promotional photos of CS. There are nuances that gave it away, ie type of lens used, optical distortion, etc, there wasnt enough to say otherwise. Pocket snap imprint on one of the photos I posted also suggest very clearly that the pocket flap near it is elongated, ie a scallop shaped.

I think you are worrying too much about screen accuracy. No one is suggesting TN did not made the movie jacket differently, it is just plausible he might have made some with scalloped pocket, the wardrobe people swapped the pockets or another jacket by someone else could have been included in some scenes deliberately or accidentally.
Oh, I'm not worried about screen accuracy, I'm just interested in the facts. Not sure what was unconvincing about the pics I posted in the other thread. Heck, if those pics came from the IndianaJones web site you and a few others would be exclaiming, "Ah-Ha, scalloped pockets!" This is, however, a Nowak owner's jacket thread and not a "Does the jacket in CS have scalloped pockets" thread. Anyway, if and when you see the movie again, pay particular attention to the pockets in the marketplace and cemetery scene. You'll see what I'm talking about.
Mannie Bothans
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Check Out the Pockets on My Nowak

Post by Mannie Bothans »

Photos of my new Nowak are now up.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27236920@N ... 5359194844

The jacket is too long on my arms and too tight around my fat waist, but that is my fault... I ordered HF's exact size.

I did order a slightly different inside pocket inscription. (Check it out, and let me know what you think).

I also asked Tony to go easy on the distressing. I think it looks S.A. for a few of the scenes in the movie.

I am thinking of using Pecards lotion on it, but I have NOT used it on the jacket as of any of these pics.
Demaroth
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Check Out the Pockets on My Nowak

Post by Demaroth »

Mannie Bothans wrote:Photos of my new Nowak are now up.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27236920@N ... 5359194844

The jacket is too long on my arms and too tight around my fat waist, but that is my fault... I ordered HF's exact size.

I did order a slightly different inside pocket inscription. (Check it out, and let me know what you think).

I also asked Tony to go easy on the distressing. I think it looks S.A. for a few of the scenes in the movie.

I am thinking of using Pecards lotion on it, but I have NOT used it on the jacket as of any of these pics.
GORGEOUS jacket, Mannie!

Dang, you people need to stop getting yours before I get mine! I don't know how much longer I can wait! :P

- John
Mannie Bothans
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Mannie Bothans »

Thanks, Blues. At first I kinda liked the idea of having a unique jacket inscription, but then I thought to myself, this might be something someone else might want in a Nowack jacket, so I posted the pics. Feel free to steal the idea-- but don't try to steal me jacket.
IndyBlues wrote:The jacket looks great, and fantastic idea on the black stitching for the inscription. Mind if I steal it? The idea, that is, lol.

Your link was screwed up, so I added it to this post. Makes life easier. :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27236920@N ... 359194844/

'Blues
Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chewie Louie »

That jacket looks great, I wouldn't do anything to it. The inscription idea was nice as well.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

I really like the covert black stitching idea! Having that "INDY IV" in bright gold lettering almost cheapens the overall jacket, since sometimes I wonder if the average passerby who notices the lining when it flaps open, or when I take it off, might think that it is just some novelty, Disneyland jacket. Having it in black makes it harder to spot unless you're looking for it, I suppose. I'll have to steal that idea from you! :)

Nice jacket though! And is it just me, or does that jacket without distressing remind anyone else of Wested's Novapelle? The fit looks excellent, and anyway, if Indy doesn't zip up, why should we? ;)

Please post pictures post-Pecards! This I have to see!
Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chewie Louie »

Castor Dioscuri wrote:I really like the covert black stitching idea! Having that "INDY IV" in bright gold lettering almost cheapens the overall jacket, since sometimes I wonder if the average passerby who notices the lining when it flaps open, or when I take it off, might think that it is just some novelty, Disneyland jacket. Having it in black makes it harder to spot unless you're looking for it, I suppose. I'll have to steal that idea from you! :)

Nice jacket though! And is it just me, or does that jacket without distressing remind anyone else of Wested's Novapelle? The fit looks excellent, and anyway, if Indy doesn't zip up, why should we? ;)

Please post pictures post-Pecards! This I have to see!
No one will ever mistaken this jacket for a novelty, Disneyland jacket. No one. Plus, who walks around with their jacket flopped open so everyone can see the inside lining? It hardly gets noticed. However, I agree that the black stitching does look pretty sharp yet subtle. Had I known beforehand what Tony had in mind for the customization of the jacket, I probably would have told him to use a smaller font.

As for the distressing Tony does on the jacket, a little bit of Pecard's will make it all but blend and vanish. I've already tried it in a small spot, but I actually like how my jacket looks as is. Outside in the sun, the distressing is noticeable, inside it blends and is not as clearly visible. I like the character it gives the jacket.
Nebraska Brad
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Nebraska Brad »

Very cool stitching and great looking jacket!

-Nebraska
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Chewie Louie wrote:Plus, who walks around with their jacket flopped open so everyone can see the inside lining?
Well, I for one sometimes walk around with my jacket on in very windy conditions unzipped, where it tends to flap open due to the wind.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Looks like there'll be 777 jackets sold to 333 people, seeing how many folks are buying double! ;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

...leaving 111 for the rest of the world, right? :-k :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

...and that's why archaeologists make bad economists...

That explains how Indy badly miscalculated the height of the staff in Raiders... ;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Castor Dioscuri wrote: That explains how Indy badly miscalculated the height of the staff in Raiders... ;)
"....and take back ONE Nowak jacket, to honor....."

:lol: :wink:

Regard! Michaelson
Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chewie Louie »

Hey, for those that bought 2 Nowak's, regular and lightly distressed, can you post comparison pics? Thanks
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

Chewie Louie wrote:Hey, for those that bought 2 Nowak's, regular and lightly distressed, can you post comparison pics? Thanks

$1400 for 2 jackets......some of you are just too #### rich! :wink:
Han Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Han Jones »

Tony called me today to confirm everything on my second jacket so I will take some pics as soon as it gets here.
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

Just got off the phone with Tony, and my jacket is on the cutting block.
Should have it by Thrusday of this week.
I cannot wait to see this jacket. I asked for a darker jacket, with minimal distressing. Got a custom inscription, in black. Check it out:

Authentic Indy IV
Crystal Skull Jacket
Custom Made for
Michael A. XXXXXX
L.E. #612/777
by Tony Nowak
"It's Not The Years,
It's The Mileage"

I added the Indy quote, because I'm buying this jacket as a present to myself, for my 40th birthday. The quote seemed to fit the event nicely.
'Blues
TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TonyRush »

Oh lord -- are we still debating about this? LOL
taikonaut wrote:I think you are worrying too much about screen accuracy. No one is suggesting TN did not made the movie jacket differently, it is just plausible he might have made some with scalloped pocket, the wardrobe people swapped the pockets or another jacket by someone else could have been included in some scenes deliberately or accidentally.
Do you really think that the wardrobe people are going to actually rip off and sew on pockets on-set? C'mon. I think you're stretching your argument pretty thin.

I'll settle this when I talk to Tony on Monday. If he says he made no scalloped pockets for the film, I'll take his word for it and -- like Chewie Louie -- will be completely satisfied that the jacket I OWN is the same cut as the one on the screen. :)

Tony
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

For one, wardrobe wouldn't have had time for modifications by the time the jackets were shipped to set to the start of filming. I seriously doubt this took place.

And technically, I am a Nowak owner, though my jacket is still hung up in Memphis (Michaelson take a drive and give 'em a kick for me. :wink: ). So I'm expecting it on Monday.

Tony has said now that he will not ship anything out for Saturday delivery as they've screwed up a few of them now.
Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chewie Louie »

JERRY: This jacket has completely changed my life. When I leave the house in this, it's with a whole different confidence. Like tonight, I might've been a little nervous. But, inside this jacket, I am composed, grounded, secure that I can meet any social challenge.

GEORGE: (Nods) Can I say one thing to you? And I say this with an unblemished record of staunch heterosexuality.

JERRY: Absolutely.

GEORGE: ..It's fabulous.

JERRY: I know.

GEORGE: And I'll tell you something else, I'm not even going to ask you. I want to know. But I'm not going to ask. You'll tell me when you feel comfortable.. So what was it? Four hundred? Five hundred? Did you pay five hundred for this? (Jerry's acting coy throughout the whole thing) Over six?

Can't be seven. Don't tell my you paid seven hundred dollars for this jacket! Did you pay seven hundred dollars for this jacket? Is that what you're saying to me?! You are sick! Is that what you paid for this jacket?! Over seven hundred? What did you pay for this jacket? I won't say anything. I wanna know what you paid for this jacket!

Oh my God! A thousand dollars?! You paid a thousand dollars for this jacket?! Alright, fine. I'm walking out of here right now thinking you paid a thousand dollars for this jacket, unless you tell me different. (Jerry still coy, stays silent) Oh, ho! Alright! I'll tell you what, if you don't say anything in the next five seconds, I'll know it was over a thousand..
davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

I called Tony last Thursday to order my jacket. That guy is so fun to talk to on the phone. I think he almost fell out of his chair when I told I was a member here and all the great things people are saying about his jacket. He called us crazy, but in a good way, about the things some of us have asked for and all the other questions about him meeting HF and the jacket and anything else an obsesive mind can come up with. I asked for a 48R with tall sleeves. He said no problem and that it should be ready in about 2 weeks. Can not wait to get back to the US and try it on. We should be so blessed to have this many options to support our habbit/hobby.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

so anyone actually wearing their jackets regularly?....doing what mr. nowak wanted you all to do.....beat the #### outta them?

i wore mine in a rainstorm this weekend.......i think i love it more now than when i first got it.....it's looking less like a predistressed and more like a distressed jacket :wink:
RNomura
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by RNomura »

It's been really warm here in LA so I haven't been getting to wear my jacket as often as I'd like to.

Thankfully, it's cool when I go to work so I get to wear it in the morning.

~Ron
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

I received my jacket today and I love it! It's not only the best quality jacket I've ever owned but Tony's service is EXCEPTIONAL. He calls you to let you know what is going on each step of the way, and I didn't even ask him to do that. I think he is the Marc Kitter of jacket vendors! :wink:

The jacket is very heavy and fits snugly. I am a size 43 chest and ordered Ford's size except for the sleeves, which are 1 inch shorter. The distressing does not appear as heavy as some of the other jackets I've seen photos of (none of those sharp, straight lines). I didn't ask him to go light on the distressing, but it looks perfect.

The scalloped pocket debate is really a non-issue as I could see from looking in the mirror that different angles of view easily create the illusion of the pockets being scalloped.

Tony is also a great cheerleader for Indy 4. When I told him I was underwhelmed by the movie, he urged me to get my enthusiasm up! He is a very warm, funny guy as others have mentioned and he obviously cares very deeply about your satisfaction. Besides the jacket and the canvas bag, I got a folder with a certificate of autrhenticity and a couple of other little goodies. I recommend this jacket highly. Just like an AB, it should be on everyone's must-have list.

I am one of those older guys who is a bit tech-challenged, so photos can sometimes be a problem for me, but if I can, I'll soon try to post some good photos of this masterwork. Thanks so much, Tony!

Jack
TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TonyRush »

Eazybox, that post has me fired up! I'm even more impatient for mine than I was.

Mine should be here later this week. :)

Tony
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

TonyRush wrote:Eazybox, that post has me fired up! I'm even more impatient for mine than I was.

Mine should be here later this week. :)

Tony
If I didn't already have mine, I'd envy you! :wink:

Jack
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Well, even though the weather's in the 90's here, the house has been cool enough for me to wear my #12 since I've been home. I can't say how happy I am with it.

Weight-wise, it's on par with the FS, maybe slightly lighter, it fits great, not tight in any place. Tony really nailed it with my specs. No small feat since my FS and Wested offered two different measurements for him to go by!

I asked for light distressing and the "aging" of the jacket looks great! Can't wait to sweat it out showing it off at Finger Lakes.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Could somebody who owns a Nowak give me the pocket measurements from the bottom of the jacket, and the distance in from the zipper on both sides? My original guess was 2 inches both ways. Just interested in the actual measurement for verification.
Mannie Bothans
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

My pockets aren't the same

Post by Mannie Bothans »

whipwarrior wrote:Could somebody who owns a Nowak give me the pocket measurements from the bottom of the jacket, and the distance in from the zipper on both sides? My original guess was 2 inches both ways. Just interested in the actual measurement for verification.
I have a "Harrison-sized" Nowak and on my left side, the pocket is 2 1/8 inches from the bottom and 3 inches in from the edge of the storm flap. On my right side the pocket is 2.5 inches from the zipper and 2 inches from the bottom.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27236920@N ... otostream/
Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: My pockets aren't the same

Post by Chewie Louie »

Mannie Bothans wrote:
whipwarrior wrote:Could somebody who owns a Nowak give me the pocket measurements from the bottom of the jacket, and the distance in from the zipper on both sides? My original guess was 2 inches both ways. Just interested in the actual measurement for verification.
I have a "Harrison-sized" Nowak and on my left side, the pocket is 2 1/8 inches from the bottom and 3 inches in from the edge of the storm flap. On my right side the pocket is 2.5 inches from the zipper and 2 inches from the bottom.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27236920@N ... otostream/
Very clever to use Pecard's on the bag's leather label. Did you use it on the jacket as well?
Mannie Bothans
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: My pockets aren't the same

Post by Mannie Bothans »

Chewie Louie wrote:Very clever to use Pecard's on the bag's leather label. Did you use it on the jacket as well?
Thanks, I answered in the Gear Care section, but I'll reply here, too-- no all the pictures of my jacket are completely WITHOUT Pecard (so far). If the lotioned area is not totally shiny after it dries, I will consider the lotion. If it stays this shiny and un-velvety, I won't do anything to my jacket.

The one thing I wish I would have done differently was to ask for shorter sleeves and a wider waist.
Doeindy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Essex, England (Ole U.K.) were the rain forever falls. 29 mins down the road from Wested leather!

Post by Doeindy »

Did'nt Peter write in another thread that the publicity photos had his jackets in them for CS.

Paul.
Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chewie Louie »

Doeindy wrote:Did'nt Peter write in another thread that the publicity photos had his jackets in them for CS.

Paul.
I could be wrong, but I believe he was refering to his shirt and pants, not his jackets.
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

Well, if all goes according to plan, I'll have my jacket tomorrow when I get home from work. Tony emailed me last night with the tracking number. Can't wait to post a review. :D
'Blues
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Happy birthday, Bizzaro. :wink:
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

Mike wrote:Happy birthday, Bizzaro. :wink:
Right back atcha, Mike:D
'Blues
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Thanks for the pics and measurements, Mannie. I appreciate it. I'm satisfied that my pocket placement is accurately scaled-down from Harrison's size, and looks nearly identical to my eyes.
Demaroth
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Demaroth »

Question for anyone that feels up to it... Tony called me yesterday afternoon and is just getting started on my jacket, and called me to confirm my size measurements. I thought I was good to go, but got a little worried, so I thought I'd check in with y'all. :)

My suit jacket and old Wested are 21" width under the arms and was 7 1/4" on the shoulder. I'd like to have a little bit of room in the jacket, so I sized up a tad on my measurements to Tony. I went 22" width and 7 1/2" on the shoulder. Should I maybe go a bit larger, or will that afford a good amount of space?

Thanks!

- John
JAAKUB
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by JAAKUB »

Hey,
I was wondering what the turn around time on jackets are? Not that I am getting impatient cause it has only been a few weeks, but I was just wondering when to expect it. Thanks.
Jim
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

2-3 weeks?
Demaroth
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Demaroth »

JAAKUB wrote:Hey,
I was wondering what the turn around time on jackets are? Not that I am getting impatient cause it has only been a few weeks, but I was just wondering when to expect it. Thanks.
Jim
I ordered mine on the 22nd, and Tony's just started it. I've been very anxious myself, but he's doing them one at a time, by hand. Going to be well worth the wait, I think. :D

- John
JAAKUB
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by JAAKUB »

Hey,
cool. thanks for the info. I ordered mine right after the 22nd so should be started in the next couple weeks. Thanks again for the info.
Jim