Is Todd's leather jacket a good "real leather jacket&qu

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Is Todd's leather jacket a good "real leather jacket&qu

Post by blueoakleyz »

Is a Todd's costumes' standard, xl, I think lambskin, leather Indy Jacket a good "Real leather jacket" or just for costumes?

I mean is it high quality and will I be able to wear it everyday in moderate (most severe would be rain or light rain) weather? Mostly social situations and not hard work.

silly question but I've been fooled before, is it "real leather", although I'm sure it is?

but also, is it screen accurate enough to "fool" the non gearhead?
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

It's real leather, but thin. Why not get a fantastic Indy jacket - the G&B goat. Looks great and is really strong.
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

I have a small todd's standard and regret buying it for 2 reasons. 1. It's too small and way too short.

2. more importantly, it feels incredibly fragile. So no, if you want a 'real' leather jacket dont go for the todds. Go for a wested?
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

Which one of those are in the similar price range ($100-200)?

Maybe I'll get it just as a costume prop...
not sure
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

If you want to wear it as a jacket i'd recommend at least a wested. Not sure exactly how much it is in USD now. Have prices of westeds gone up since a few years ago?

Todd's standard is pretty much just a costume jacket.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Dre wrote:I have a small todd's standard and regret buying it for 2 reasons. 1. It's too small and way too short.

2. more importantly, it feels incredibly fragile. So no, if you want a 'real' leather jacket dont go for the todds. Go for a wested?
G&B is best. A real leather jacket - have we all forgotten what that means?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

The Todd is the least expensive but it is a costume jacket and not meant to be worn day to day.

Wested currently have a OTR goatskin at £135/$270 which looks excellent value. You can wear that day to day.

G&B are "mil spec" but run significantly more than that.
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

Okay I'll have to think about it. $150 isn't so bad for a costume piece (especially if it can actually act as a coat in a pinch).

For anything higher I would probably be interested in getting a style that suited me and kept it brown just to have that Indy look
kobol
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by kobol »

I consider the Todds more like a light windbreaker. So if it's treated as such and not subjected to any abuse it will probably hold up.
I have both the Wested and G&B, and as has been echoed here, they are much more durable.
gi_canuck
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by gi_canuck »

I've been wearing Todd's standard XL everyday for 2-3 months now and it's been holding up fine even through some hiking trips and heavy rain and stuff... Yeah, regular day to day non abusive use, it'll hold up just fine... but anything more than that? I don't think it'll withstand any Indy like abuse... I would say it's not just A costume piece, but more like a windbreaker sort of jacket like the gentleman above mentioned...
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

The great thing about Todd's Standard is the way it looks and drapes exactly like the Raiders jacket, at an unbeatably low price. That's what it was designed to do, and it succeeded wonderfully.

It was never intended to be a work jacket, though, and if that's what you require, one of the more ruggedly built choices would probably be a better investment.

Jack
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

eazybox wrote:The great thing about Todd's Standard is the way it looks and drapes exactly like the Raiders jacket, at an unbeatably low price. That's what it was designed to do, and it succeeded wonderfully.

It was never intended to be a work jacket, though, and if that's what you require, one of the more ruggedly built choices would probably be a better investment.

Jack
That's EXACTLY the word I thought of when watching Raiders.. so that definately turns me on to this jacket.
MACHONE
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by MACHONE »

I have to agree with the comments that Todd's is more than a costume jacket. At first I was put off by it's costumy look out of the box. I have been wearing it regularly as a warm weather jacket. It is like a windbreaker, but as the leather is wearing in I am growing more confident in it's durability as a non-work normal wear jacket. The more I have been wearing it, the more I like it.
Ben
Vaderbreath
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Vaderbreath »

Ben, I absotlutely agree with what you said. I wear mine often as a casual warm weather jacket, and it looks and feels great. But if I need to do some work or if it's a bit cool outside, the G&B comes out.

-Corey
Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shawnkara »

I think people sometimes underestimate the strength of leather, even thin leather. It may feel delicate when applied to something as large as a jacket, but leather is tough. How thick do you think the strands of a bullwhip are, and look what those can take! I thinner Indy jacket is exactly what I want. It seems incredibly thin in Raiders. Hangs like a thick flannel.

I'm not saying Todd's jacket is cheap or poorly made, NOT AT ALL but I've owned plenty of really cr@p THIN leather jackets over the years NOT MADE by Todd and they've held up very well, even when somewhat abused. Never underestimate leather! There's a reason it's been a staple textile of mankind since the dawn of time :wink:
Raider
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Raider »

blueoakleyz, listen to this one. I own 4 Indy jackets - 3 of them are Wested (lambs and horsehide). I ordered Todd's just to know what I am talking about while discussing about jackets.
After opening the box I was shocked by what I saw - a piece of thin leather, looking like $10 Walmart Halloween costume. You'd think this is a really bad review, right? Read on...
I read one of the COW topics regarding Todd's jacket and a special prewashed version and as I wasn't thinking about wearing the jacket I received anyway, I threw it into a washing machine with two heavy shoes and started "cold water, 1200 RPM" program. I was shocked again. What I took out after 30 mins, was my new favorite jacket for warm days - totally different than "out of the box" thing I saw earlier, somehow tougher, darker, mat, screaming (loud!) Raiders - Well of Souls...

Of course, it's not as durable as Wested's lamb which I use quite hard but it's also not "costume" anymore, for sure... Think about it.

:junior: Raider
FordPerfect
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by FordPerfect »

Does this look like a costume jacket to you?

If you want the Raiders look, feel & drape (with accurate details to boot) simply take one Todd's jacket and give it a #### good kicking.
The results are astounding - my sincere thanks to McFly for giving mine the bashing it needed.
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

Raider wrote:blueoakleyz, listen to this one. I own 4 Indy jackets - 3 of them are Wested (lambs and horsehide). I ordered Todd's just to know what I am talking about while discussing about jackets.
After opening the box I was shocked by what I saw - a piece of thin leather, looking like $10 Walmart Halloween costume. You'd think this is a really bad review, right? Read on...
I read one of the COW topics regarding Todd's jacket and a special prewashed version and as I wasn't thinking about wearing the jacket I received anyway, I threw it into a washing machine with two heavy shoes and started "cold water, 1200 RPM" program. I was shocked again. What I took out after 30 mins, was my new favorite jacket for warm days - totally different than "out of the box" thing I saw earlier, somehow tougher, darker, mat, screaming (loud!) Raiders - Well of Souls...

Of course, it's not as durable as Wested's lamb which I use quite hard but it's also not "costume" anymore, for sure... Think about it.

:junior: Raider
PICS PICS PICS!!!
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

I too own a Todds custom and I wear it in the mornings when it can be cool, I don't abuse it but I don't baby either. It's an awsome jacket when it's warm out and you want to wear a leather jacket, put on a Wested Goat and you'll end up looking like Gobler at the end of Raiders, all mellty like. :lol: when it hot/humid. Don't get me wrong my Goat is my main jacket but I love my Todds equally.

Go for it, you won't be disapointed. Matter of fack I'm thinking of getting a standard small for my daughter.

Croft
Vaderbreath
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Vaderbreath »

Fordperfect, do you know what McFly did to distress your jacket because it looks great. I've distressed mine a bit with alcohol, but not too much. I really do love this jacket, and it makes a great warmer weather choice... but I want to distress it better.

-Corey
r.deckard
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by r.deckard »

I own one of Todd's customs in the washed lamb also and all I can say is it's the best Raiders jacket I have owned PERIOD. Everything is right about it. Yes the price is a little high but would you rather spend $500 and get the correct thing or spend thousands trying to get close to the right thing?
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

I agree with r.deckard. I love my Todd's jacket, it is absolutely Raiders, all the way! I've worn it to work everyday since I got it (beginning of April) and it just getting better and better. I am more aware of my surroundings when I wear it because it is so thin, and I won't pretend to say that it will be as hard wearing as my Wings goatskin or Wested cowhide, but it is definitely more than a costume piece and is hands down the best Raiders jacket I have ever seen.

Weston
DoubleOhSeven
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by DoubleOhSeven »

I've got a Todd's. It was my first jacket. I got so confused by the differences in leather colors with the Westeds, and the G&Bs were better, and the pockets were too big on the US Wings...blah blah blah...that I screamed really loud and bought the Todd's because it was only $150.00.

Whew. I'm glad I did. It is, to me, one of the best Indy style jackets out there. I love mine, and although it's not as heavy or as durable as a Wested or G&B or my USW CE jacket, it's still a leather jacket and will last long with proper care.

A lot of people mistake the Todd's Standard Jacket as a costume piece because it is a really thin lamb. While it's not made out of kevlar, mind you, leather is still leather, and is more durable than most fabrics. I wouldn't think it would hold up to getting dragged behind a truck, but it wasn't made for that, either.

For $150.00, you can't go wrong. And you for sure won't find another jacket that looks this good for a better price.
Vaderbreath
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Vaderbreath »

Well, I had my first real test with my jacket a few days ago. I made a short movie for my youth group (I'm a pastor), and I put my Todd's through rolling around, climbing, swinging, crawling...and it worked great. I've decided not to distress it, but let it distress naturally which it already has started. Plus, it looked really great on film. I thought about using my G&B, but it was too warm outside. Great jacket so far!

-Corey
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

That's great to hear. Some people are put off by the thinness of the hide on the Standard. but it is actually a closer match to the original than the thicker hides. And it's good to know that it can hold its own when subjected t some rough treatment.

Jack
IndyFalco
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyFalco »

Todds Standard Jacket can take a heck of a beating. Look at my jacket

viewtopic.php?t=31180
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Vaderbreath wrote:Fordperfect, do you know what McFly did to distress your jacket because it looks great. I've distressed mine a bit with alcohol, but not too much. I really do love this jacket, and it makes a great warmer weather choice... but I want to distress it better.

-Corey
Thank you! And hey, you could just ask me! :lol: I just used some light sandpaper on it, and also threw it in the dryer (with NO NO NO heat) and let it tumble for an hour or two (I'm not sure his needed that, but it's probably good anyway). I don't think I used alcohol on his, but I may have done just a little bit. I didn't want to do his too much because it didn't look really worn yet (it was brand new!) and I wanted to match the distressing to the jacket, instead of to a film grab, which would look fake.

Ford - it was a pleasure! I'm glad you like it, and I do think it looks pretty good! Looks really natural, eh? Have you worked on it? :D

Shane
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Fordperfect (why not Ford Prefect, I wonder. I created a space cowboy adventure hero for our school paper called Rex Perfect and always got the names mixed up.) I haven't yet said how great your jacket looks. The only thing I think it needs is a darn good soaking. I think you'll like the result. Well done Mcfly, and Fordpefect, you look like a stuntman about ready to do something dangerous.

Weston
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

Is a Todd's costumes' standard, xl, I think lambskin, leather Indy Jacket a good "Real leather jacket" or just for costumes?

I mean is it high-quality and will I be able to wear it everyday in moderate (most severe would be rain or light rain) weather? Mostly social situations and not hard work.
Most people here have commented about how Todd's jacket looks. Yes, it looks great, albiet a bit short in the waist from most of the photos (including my own personal Todd's jacket.)

This is not a knock against Todd or Wested although it may sound like that. But read it the way it was intended without adding any personal/loyalty issues.

I think that there are two more points that need to be addressed.

Point 1. is Todd's "... a good "Real leather jacket.."

Todd's jacket is real leather. I own the calfskin. It was one of the first jackets offered as a package deal and the price was very good. But what are you comparing the jacket to when you ask this question? What do you mean by "good."

Without a cost vs. value debate, here is my view.

People who have owned a lot of different jackets are not going to rate Todd's jacket quality up there with a Aero, Vanson, Schott, Bates, Langlitz, Buco, etc. unless they are insane. The reason I pick these jackets (as well as many others that are not mentioned) is that they are still around 20-50 years later. I do not mean the company itself, but the jackets. They are on eBay all the time because they are good, tough, well constructed leather jackets that have survived many years of abuse. Is Todd's in that category. No - but neither is Wested.

And don't think I am confusing toughness with thickness. Anyone have a Lost Worlds medium weight horsehide jacket? Thin and comfortable, but tougher than nails. Too bad Stuart didn't make an Indy jacket.

Comparitively, Todd's calfskin and lambskin are on the fashion end of the toughness scale. This means that they were built for looks NOT function. Not to say that there is not any functionality to the jacket, but I think even Todd himself would say that the appearance of his jacket - at least at the outset of starting his Raiders jacket business - was more paramount than the toughness.

Point 2. Everyday wear/social situations. This jacket will be great in these conditions, as long as your everyday situations do not include bushes, rain, falling off a motorcycle, etc...

I would not recommend wearing any light leather jacket in the rain (lamb. calf). As we all know, the leather shrinks when dried too rapidly. My Todd's jacket shrunk to the point where I cannot wear it without looking like more of a dork than I already do. It was already too short in the body and sleeves too. The same goes for my Wested lamb. Peter summed it up best when he said that these jackets were not meant to be rainjackets. When you think about it, the thinner leathers will dry much faster than the thicker leathers and therefore must be dried much slower. Often ambient temperature is too fast.

There is a trade-off here that bothers me as well. Everyone has clamored so much for the correct drape of the leather (usually comparing a professionally beat-up movie jacket to an off the rack jacket) that it now cost more for a more aesthetically pleasing, but thinner, less durable leather.

Finally, these durability questions cannot possibly be answered yet. We do the same thing with the Adventurebilts. We are telling everyone to buy (or not to buy) whichever product because it is tough - yet we are basing this on products that are not even 5-years old. So is Todd's jacket tough? Ask again in 20 years to see how it has fared.

And FordPerfect, you asked:
"Does this look like a costume jacket to you?"

Yes, it does. Sorry, but you are dressed in a replica of a costume that has been distressed so that it looks like the jacket that was worn by Harrison Ford in a movie called "Raiders of the Lost Ark." How can it not look like a costume jacket?

(I know what you meant. The picture looks great; I was just having some fun with it.)

I liken it to the costume maker who made the perfect replica of a Chewbacca costume. Picture him wearing it, stepping out and saying "does this look like a costume?" Although it looks authentic, it is based on the likeness of a fictional character, making it look like a costume, since it did not actually exist prior to the movie.
Digger
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Digger »

Ruth's Chris and Denny's both serve steaks. To quote Belloch, "Do as you will"
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

rick5150 wrote:

I mean is it high-quality and will I be able to wear it everyday in moderate (most severe would be rain or light rain) weather? Mostly social situations and not hard work.
Most people here have commented about how Todd's jacket looks. Yes, it looks great, albiet a bit short in the waist from most of the photos (including my own personal Todd's jacket.)

I think that there are two more points that need to be addressed.

Point 1. is Todd's "... a good "Real leather jacket.."

But what are you comparing the jacket to when you ask this question? What do you mean by "good."

Without a cost vs. value debate, here is my view.

People who have owned a lot of different jackets are not going to rate Todd's jacket quality up there with a Aero, Vanson, Schott, Bates, Langlitz, Buco, etc. unless they are insane. The reason I pick these jackets (as well as many others that are not mentioned) is that they are still around 20-50 years later. I do not mean the company itself, but the jackets. They are on eBay all the time because they are good, tough, well constructed leather jackets that have survived many years of abuse. Is Todd's in that category. No - but neither is Wested.

And don't think I am confusing toughness with thickness. Anyone have a Lost Worlds medium weight horsehide jacket? Thin and comfortable, but tougher than nails. Too bad Stuart didn't make an Indy jacket.

Comparitively, Todd's calfskin and lambskin are on the fashion end of the toughness scale. This means that they were built for looks NOT function.
Point 2. Everyday wear/social situations. This jacket will be great in these conditions, as long as your everyday situations do not include bushes, rain, falling off a motorcycle, etc...

I would not recommend wearing any light leather jacket in the rain (lamb. calf). As we all know, the leather shrinks when dried too rapidly. My Todd's jacket shrunk to the point where I cannot wear it without looking like more of a dork than I already do. It was already too short in the body and sleeves too. The same goes for my Wested lamb. Peter summed it up best when he said that these jackets were not meant to be rainjackets. When you think about it, the thinner leathers will dry much faster than the thicker leathers and therefore must be dried much slower. Often ambient temperature is too fast.

There is a trade-off here that bothers me as well. Everyone has clamored so much for the correct drape of the leather (usually comparing a professionally beat-up movie jacket to an off the rack jacket) that it now cost more for a more aesthetically pleasing, but thinner, less durable leather.

Finally, these durability questions cannot possibly be answered yet. We do the same thing with the Adventurebilts. We are telling everyone to buy (or not to buy) whichever product because it is tough - yet we are basing this on products that are not even 5-years old. So is Todd's jacket tough? Ask again in 20 years to see how it has fared.

And FordPerfect, you asked:
"Does this look like a costume jacket to you?"

Yes, it does. Sorry, but you are dressed in a replica of a costume that has been distressed so that it looks like the jacket that was worn by Harrison Ford in a movie called "Raiders of the Lost Ark." How can it not look like a costume jacket?

(I know what you meant. The picture looks great; I was just having some fun with it.)

I liken it to the costume maker who made the perfect replica of a Chewbacca costume. Picture him wearing it, stepping out and saying "does this look like a costume?" Although it looks authentic, it is based on the likeness of a fictional character, making it look like a costume, since it did not actually exist prior to the movie.
Rick - Those are some of the most articulate and accurate words I've read here. Thanks.
bobjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by bobjones »

Indeed, I have wondered what an Indy jacket by Will or Stuart would look and feel like. I guess their first challenge would be what hide they might use, since Stuart on his website does not have kind things to say about lambskin, and Aero makes most of its jackets in FQHH or heavy steerhide.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Rick - Those are some of the most articulate and accurate words I've read here. Thanks.
I'll drink to that. Agreed. Rick has a way of getting straight to the gist of things. And unlike myself is articulate enough to convey what he thinks. Well said, and dead on. Fedora
MightyMegs
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by MightyMegs »

Digger wrote:Ruth's Chris and Denny's both serve steaks. To quote Belloch, "Do as you will"
:lol: