AB Deluxe worn by Harrison?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

AB Deluxe worn by Harrison?

Post by TonyRush »

Just saw this on Ebay:

MOD EDIT: NO EBAY LINKS PLEASE

Looks like the real deal. Might be a good opportunity for someone who wants to get a unique hat without the usual waiting period.

Tony
Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

yeah, i saw that too today. but i don't really believe the story.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

It is real, the seller is a member here.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

The following is from the Indygear main site. Always beneficial to do a little research first. This is the hat mentioned in the text below.

On April 30th, 2007, Peter Botwright called Marc to inform him that he had mentioned Adventurebilt to Bernie Pollack, Costume Designer for Harrison Ford who had just been brought on for the new Indy IV project (as it was known at the time). Bernie spoke to Marc the next day and arranged to have a sample sent for consideration. Not having one handy, Marc asked a customer of a recently finished hat to forward it on to Bernie for consideration. At this point, Steve also came in as a point of contact to Bernie who found it easier to deal with someone stateside, with less of a time difference. This is also the point when near disaster struck for AB, almost tossing them out of the running.

The hat sent was a replica of a Raiders style pinch, which unfortunately was viewed as a 'caricature of the Raiders hat' by men who preferred the more relaxed pinches of Temple of Doom and Last Crusade. A phone conversation between Steve and Bernie was able to keep Adventurebilt in the mix of vendors. Steve promised Bernie he could blend a Last Crusade pinch with a Raiders block to come up with THE look that they were looking for. A rushed hat done during long, sleepless hours was quickly sent off to Mr. Pollack, and Adventurebilt was back in Bernie's good graces.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

is that g-man's hat?....if it is....no word of a lie in that description.

g-man....save yourself all that auction non-sense and just give it to me :P ....it's my size too!!!!
TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TonyRush »

Dang, you make me want to buy it now! And I just got one!

LOL

Tony
Luke Warmwater
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luke Warmwater »

OMG why would someone sell this??
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Gas money maybe. :wink:
Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

Kt Templar wrote:It is real, the seller is a member here.
ah okay, didn't know that. shame he sells it. oh well...
G-MANN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by G-MANN »

It's real and it's spectacular.

A big Thank You to those that chimed in before me.

Cheers,
G-MANN
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

so.....uh...g-mann....er....can i have it :P

g-mann, don't sell her off my friend. keep it. i've got a piece of gear thats similar, and there ain't a hope in h-e-double hockey sticks that i'm gonna sell it off....heck, the ark of the covenant has seen more daylight than my collector piece :lol:

bottom line.....don't sell it. but if you do, make sure its not no joe-shmoe-billionaire-boy that's giving it to their 11 year old as a birthday gift cuz they liked the new movie. just my 2 cents.....take it for what its worth.

cheers,

G
jeff
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jeff »

Luke Warmwater wrote:OMG why would someone sell this??
Ya know, sometimes life gets in the way and you need the money. Not for "mad" money, but rather to pay the mortgage, medical expenses, etc.
G-MANN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by G-MANN »

I am hoping that someone in the hobby gets the hat. So far the people bidding on the hat are avid Indy fans. I am not selling it because I need the money. The hat has been sitting in the box since I got it back from Bernie, except when I removed it for Agent5 to check out.

If I keep the hat it may end up sitting in my closet for the next 20 years.

I am just happy that I was able to get an Adventurebilt fedora to Bernie within 24 hours and help Marc and Steve get the contract.

Cheers,
G-MANN
Last edited by G-MANN on Sat May 31, 2008 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TonyRush »

G-Mann, if you don't me asking, though.....you spent a fair amount of money and presumably a fair amount of waiting time to get your AB Deluxe.

Were you not planning on wearing it when you bought it?

Tony
G-MANN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by G-MANN »

I don't mind at all. Yes I did plan on wearing it eventually however when this hat arrived I already owned 3 other AB Deluxes and 2 AB's made by Steve. As well as about 5 other Indy Fedoras.

Cheers,
G-MANN
TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TonyRush »

OMG.

Okay. 'Nuff said. :)

Tony
Alan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alan »

Nice collection. I don't blame you a bit. Good luck!

Edit: Ah, nice score. Now I certainly don't blame you. Wow. :shock:
Last edited by Alan on Sat May 31, 2008 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Yeah, I think G-Mann's all set with fedoras. :wink:
myamoebafriend
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by myamoebafriend »

G-MANN, if you don't mind, I'm going to track you down, break into your house, and steal one of those. I don't care which, just any one of them will do.

Best Wishes
Max
G-MANN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by G-MANN »

Well, just sold the hat to a collector in Hollwood for $5,000.00 :shock:

Cheers,
G-MANN
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

G-MANN, if you don't mind, I'm going to track you down, break into your house, and steal one of those.
I doubt you'll get by his Rottweiler. She'll either eat your alive or lick you to death. Either way is torture.
JulianK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JulianK »

Holy Indylids Batman, that's quite the plethora of fedora you've go there!
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

G-MANN wrote:Well, just sold the hat to a collector in Hollwood for $5,000.00 :shock:

Cheers,
G-MANN
wow! congratulations!!!
Indycrazy5187
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

AB

Post by Indycrazy5187 »

Wow...that's a lot of hats....How much would you be willing to sell one of those for hahaha
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Here's the link now that the auction is closed for those who wanna see. It really is a nice, nice hat which John shaped to perfection.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Indiana-Jones-AB-De ... dZViewItem
Indycrazy5187
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

AB hats

Post by Indycrazy5187 »

If I had 5000 rolling around my bank account then i might have thrown down...Congrats to whoever bought that.
taikonaut
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by taikonaut »

To a fan $5000 is nothing for an iconic piece. Did they took any picture of Harrison Ford wearing it?

I know what it is like owning something that has a celebrity/historical connection because sometimes it just sit there doing nothing. I have Danica Patrick's nose cone that flew off her car when she hit someone in her Formula Ford days in England. And yes she did threw a tantrum by kicking it so will be happy for it to go to a fan.
Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

taikonaut wrote:To a fan $5000 is nothing for an iconic piece. Did they took any picture of Harrison Ford wearing it?

I know what it is like owning something that has a celebrity/historical connection because sometimes it just sit there doing nothing. I have Danica Patrick's nose cone that flew off her car when she hit someone in her Formula Ford days in England. And yes she did threw a tantrum by kicking it so will be happy for it to go to a fan.
I love Danica.... sigh. :oops:
zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by zeus36 »

The buyer has a great &bay ID- I'm jealous !
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Hmmm. Wow. Wonder what the one I have from the film is worth? :lol: The film hats for Harrison were numbered in a particular color of felt pen.(by Bernie) I reckon only we know how many we made for him. I gotta a feeling, there will be more hats supposedly worn by him, than there actually were made. :lol:(there were alot of hats left over that were not used. I guess beaver fur just held up better than what was used prior) I may have to authenticate some of these in the future. If my or Marc's handwriting is not on the inside, indicating it was Harrisons, there may be stunt hats sold as his hats. One stunt double practically wore Harrison's size. Fedora
taikonaut
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by taikonaut »

Fedora wrote:Hmmm. Wow. Wonder what the one I have from the film is worth? :lol:
Steve, are you offering it for sale :?:
darthjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by darthjones »

One from the film?! Cool! Any chance we can see a couple pics. of it? Is it one of the newer looking ones or full of Fullers?

:)
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Wonder what the one I have from the film is worth?
I thought they weren't going to allow you to even buy back one of the hats? Did they have a change of heart?

Please elablorate.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Steve if you have a hat from the movie dont you ever dare part with it! But do make sure you get it evaluated and insured

Ken
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Yeah, Steve. IF it is a verifiable screen used hat worn by Ford, then you most likely have a $20,000+ investment in your hands. I would get it separately insured aside from your standard homeowners insurance. Document it with photos and video as well and keep it in a safety deposit box in your bank, NOT your home. If theres a fire and you lose your hat, then you also lose your documentation so keep it somewhere else. Bank is safest.
Indycrazy5187
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycrazy5187 »

Yea steve...Keep the hat...i know I would
G-MANN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by G-MANN »

Fedora wrote:Hmmm. Wow. Wonder what the one I have from the film is worth? :lol: The film hats for Harrison were numbered in a particular color of felt pen.(by Bernie) I reckon only we know how many we made for him. I gotta a feeling, there will be more hats supposedly worn by him, than there actually were made. :lol:(there were alot of hats left over that were not used. I guess beaver fur just held up better than what was used prior) I may have to authenticate some of these in the future. If my or Marc's handwriting is not on the inside, indicating it was Harrisons, there may be stunt hats sold as his hats. One stunt double practically wore Harrison's size. Fedora
Steve,

The same collector that bought my hat is interested in the hat you announced here. Just in case you are interested in selling it. If so drop me a PM and I will give you his contact info.

Cheers,
G-MANN
Zach R.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Zach R. »

Whoever it is has some serious money to spend, they've bought some pretty impressive American History pieces according to their eBay listings.
G-MANN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by G-MANN »

Zach R. wrote:Whoever it is has some serious money to spend, they've bought some pretty impressive American History pieces according to their eBay listings.
Yes he sure does and from what we have discussed he has quite a collection of movie memorabilia. I'm sure he would make a VERY good offer to Steve.

Cheers,
G-MANN
Oklahoma Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Oklahoma Jones »

How would anyone feel about hat # 49 from the felt run used for the movie?
Henry
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Henry »

Oklahoma Jones wrote:How would anyone feel about hat # 49 from the felt run used for the movie?
I am not trying to be a nay sayer here, but a hat "worn by" Harrison Ford is a bit different, in my opinion, than a hat simply placed on his head for a screen test. I have one of the KOTCS hats worn by Ford (#3) and can say that the 20,000.00 price tag is still too low for what it is. I understand the story that went with G-Manns hat, and to me that is really stretching the bounds of "worn by." Without one of the screen test shots (which I know for a fact did not accompany the hat), its nothing more than a Indy style hat. Its not production used, not screen used, and if I am not mistaken, the hat in question did not even fit Harrisons head (according to Bernie). So what was it, other than hype about the film, and decent story, that warranted 5,000.00? At least a felt hat #49, if actually used, is still a legitamate production used hat, and should bring about 5,000.00 at best. I guess as long as the buyer is happy with what was purchased, and GMANN was certain forth wright with the info, then there is no harm nor foul, but we all know that this was not what collectors view as a true Indiana Jones fedora worn by Harrison Ford. Just my opinion for what its worth.
G-MANN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by G-MANN »

He is happy with the hat and nobody forced him to make me the offer for the hat. It is worth what he was willing to pay for it. No more no less.

Furthermore, the day you sell your hat for $20,000 is the day it will be worth $20,000. Until then it is worth exactly what you paid for it.

G-MANN
Henry
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Henry »

G-MANN wrote:He is happy with the hat and nobody forced him to make me the offer for the hat. It is worth what he was willing to pay for it. No more no less.

Furthermore, the day you sell your hat for $20,000 is the day it will be worth $20,000. Until then it is worth exactly what you paid for it.

G-MANN
Well then I guess its worth 22,500.00. I didn't mean to offend you, I am a purist when it comes to collecting. Don't get me wrong, I read the description, there was certainly nothing with held. The problem comes when the person who now owns it decides to sell the hat. This person may embelish the provenance, or use a similar twist that was used in the original auction. Was it misrepresentation......no, but was the hat auctioned really a Harrison Ford worn Indiana Jones fedora as collectors would define..........no. I guess this hat falls into a category of its own, but should not, in my opinion, be considered a Harrison Ford "worn" fedora.
Last edited by Henry on Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
G-MANN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by G-MANN »

If that's what you paid and you are happy then that's exactly what it's worth.

G-MANN
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

but we all know that this was not what collectors view as a true Indiana Jones fedora worn by Harrison Ford.
Well, the guy who bought it did.

What I don't get is how if Ford tried the hat on that it's "stretching bounds" to say he wore it. I don't know how else to word it. I'd have to say that if he tried it on then he wore it. Period. It's no stretch, it's just a fact.
I'd say that is the VERY bottom line.
Henry
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Henry »

agent5 wrote:
but we all know that this was not what collectors view as a true Indiana Jones fedora worn by Harrison Ford.
Well, the guy who bought it did.

What I don't get is how if Ford tried the hat on that it's "stretching bounds" to say he wore it. I don't know how else to word it. I'd have to say that if he tried it on then he wore it. Period. It's no stretch, it's just a fact.
I'd say that is the VERY bottom line.
i]"Well, the guy who bought it did."[/i

That is nothing more than wishful thinking, or inexperience in the collecting field.

[i]"What I don't get is how if Ford tried the hat on that it's "stretching bounds" to say he wore it. I don't know how else to word it. I'd have to say that if he tried it on then he wore it. Period. It's no stretch, it's just a fact."[/i]

That is not in dispute, however the implication that the term "worn" implies in the collecting community.

[i]"I'd say that is the VERY bottom line"[/i]

Obvioulsy you are not a collector, or you have not kept tabs on the market.

Example:

03/08 Indy Whip sold 57,000.00
03/08 Holy Grail Cup 35,000.00
2007 Indy Jacket Last Crusade 90,000.00
2002 Indy Whip TOD 32,200.00
1999 Indy Staff of Ra Head Piece (Not screen used/ was crew gift) 60,000.00

1999 Indy Gloves (which were not worn by Harrison) 5,500.00
1999 Indy Shirt TOD 18,000.00

Notice that there is not a hat listed in the FEW examples above. That would be because a true screen worn hat from the Indiana Jones films are a scarce as they come. Especially hat proven to have been worn by Harrison himself. Butterfileds/ Christies, Gurnseys, and Profiles In History specificly stated that a conservative auction estimate would be between 40,000.00- 60,000.00. Now that speaks volumes I would say.

This is not a school yard fight, its simply an opnion that is shared by more than just myself. I have not said that GMANN did anything wrong. He simply stated facts, your right. However wording can create many implications, or extend the bounds of fact. If this person is happy, good for him or her. I am looking forward to the auction description that no doubt will soon follow that hat.
Last edited by Henry on Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

Well well, second forum I see you on Henry. Are you actually going to post pictures of your highly praised collection now? Or are you going to do it like you did before: big stories and no proof what so ever. How is your Temple of Doom Stetson doing?
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Obvioulsy you are not a collector
Wow. I'm insulted.

The Adventurebilt is an Indiana Jones fedora, yes? Yes. :tup: The hat was sent to Ford for him to try on, yes? Yes. :tup: It is an Indiana Jones fedora worn by Harrison Ford. Fact? Yes! :clap: It was never, ever claimed to be a production hat or even made for the production and the guy who purchased it knew that full well. STILL, it IS an Indy fedora worn by Ford. The guy who bought it thought it to be worth $5000.

Now, since you know all about the 'market' and what the price of such items are supposed to be, could you please tell me the exact price the G-mann hat is supposed to be worth?
Henry
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Henry »

Dutch_jones wrote:Well well, second forum I see you on Henry. Are you actually going to post pictures of your highly praised collection now? Or are you going to do it like you did before: big stories and no proof what so ever. How is your Temple of Doom Stetson doing?
No I am not posting any photos as usual. They were online for sometime. As for believing me, simply ask Steve himself, he'll vouch for the hat. This is typical. Someone of "importance" on the messageboard is disagreed with, then suddenly all his worker bees come to the rescue by attempting to slander the other person. Do your best, makes no difference to me. I did not want to throw this nugget out there, but since I can see how this thread is going...here you go..... the hat GMANN sent to Western Costumes, the very one that Harrison "wore" for the fittings was too small for his head, and he was not able to get it on.....LOL! Don't believe me....ask Bernie........LOL! So I guess even the loose claim of the hat being "worn" is still not applicable.....

You should really know your audience before you attempt to throw darts. Here is a thread about my hat. Read carefuly my good man, and learn.

viewtopic.php?t=30430
Last edited by Henry on Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Henry
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Henry »

agent5 wrote:
Obvioulsy you are not a collector
Wow. I'm insulted.

The Adventurebilt is an Indiana Jones fedora, yes? Yes. :tup: The hat was sent to Ford for him to try on, yes? Yes. :tup: It is an Indiana Jones fedora worn by Harrison Ford. Fact? Yes! :clap: It was never, ever claimed to be a production hat or even made for the production and the guy who purchased it knew that full well. STILL, it IS an Indy fedora worn by Ford. The guy who bought it thought it to be worth $5000.

Now, since you know all about the 'market' and what the price of such items are supposed to be, could you please tell me the exact price the G-mann hat is supposed to be worth?
Sorry no I could not, as that item is not something that I would invest time to research. It does not appeal to me. Your still missing the point. Makes no difference to me. Enjoy it for what its "worth."