KotCS shorter crowned AB? **possible spoilers**

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

KotCS shorter crowned AB? **possible spoilers**

Post by Kokopelli »

I just saw KotCS again....this time I noticed that it seemed that the AB's crown was shorter in the scene when they go into the 'skull' waterfall temple entrance. Is it just the lighting/angle...or was there a shorter crown version made?
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

Wasn't there supposed to be one scene where Indy was wearing a DP in this movie so that they could claim the hat was worn by Ford in the film?
WeeMadHamish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by WeeMadHamish »

Steve said there was also one scene where there was in fact a shorter-crowned, wider-brimmed AB (a prototype) used in error. That may be it.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

I noticed in the graveyard scenes, the brim looked a little bit short - although it could have been because maybe the wide brim was before that and I was just noticing the short one... idk if that makes sense.

In any case, I thought the brim looked pretty short in that cemetery scene.

Shane
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

McFly wrote:I noticed in the graveyard scenes, the brim looked a little bit short - although it could have been because maybe the wide brim was before that and I was just noticing the short one... idk if that makes sense.

In any case, I thought the brim looked pretty short in that cemetery scene.

Shane
Speaking of short brims.........McFly...That brim on your hat looks TINY!!
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

When I talked to Bernie last Friday, he told me that the "odd" hat he had to use twice. But, I did not ask which scenes he was talking about. Bernie told me that he used the shorter hat twice. Once on the outside, and then he put the hat back, and used in on the inside. So, it must be a scene where you see Indy outside, and then he enters the inside of something. Bernie wanted continuity as those scenes were together. I have not spotted it yet, but perhaps the next time I see the film, I will pay more attention to the outside/inside sequence. Hope this helps. Fedora
havershaw
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by havershaw »

I could swear I instantly recognized it just after the scene with Mutt and Indy in the plane...when they're walking around in the street and Indy is giving Mutt advice just before they go into the sanitarium . I noticed it the very first time I saw it and every time I've seen it, it still seems short to me. There are a few publicity stills from those scenes and I think you can kind of tell in those as well.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Vegeta wrote:Speaking of short brims.........McFly...That brim on your hat looks TINY!!
Well, wide brims don't do my skinny face any favors. I like the shorter brims, or the curlier brims. My brim is a LC brim on a Well of Souls crown. :wink: Here's a better pic of my brim... ignore the chicks - it's just a good shot of my hat from straight on.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/ ... G_2007.jpg

And now, back to your regularly scheduled investigation!

Shane
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

It doesnt look as bad in the pic with the girls....Probably the white background in your avatar that makes it look like that. I'm a pretty thin guy too but I love the way the normal brim looks on me. Good times.
jock123
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jock123 »

I claim no expertise in matters of the hat, but myself I would have said that the scenes in the cell, specifically where Indy is sitting up high looking down at the floor, appear to feature a shorter crown than elsewhere.

Again it just could have been the angle…
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

How about this one? So far this is the only picture i can find to post...but it looks like a shorter crown than other stills I've seen.

[img][img]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b341/ ... 3-1600.jpg[/img][/img]
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Also, that one short crown hat had a larger brim. 2 7/8 by 2 5/8. I thought it would really stand out, but so far, not to me it doesn't . But, I still have to go and watch the film a few more times. Maybe I will remember to look for it the next time I go.

The gray hat had this larger brim size as well, but was taller than even the regular brown hats. Hard to tell on that too, that is, that it was taller. I was totally surprised by this, as I thought it would really stand out. Fedora
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

Fedora wrote:Also, that one short crown hat had a larger brim. 2 7/8 by 2 5/8. I thought it would really stand out, but so far, not to me it doesn't . But, I still have to go and watch the film a few more times. Maybe I will remember to look for it the next time I go.

The gray hat had this larger brim size as well, but was taller than even the regular brown hats. Hard to tell on that too, that is, that it was taller. I was totally surprised by this, as I thought it would really stand out. Fedora
It did stand out to me, it was in the most horrid scene of the movie though, where the spaceship destroys the temple when Indy and Co watch from nearby. That hat had a much wider brim.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

I definitely noticed the wide wide brim on the gray hat. Not *bad* looking, but definitely different than what we're used to seeing. It was an interesting choice, but I think it was a good one. It shows Indy likes to change things up once in a while.

Shane
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

citRon wrote:How about this one? So far this is the only picture i can find to post...but it looks like a shorter crown than other stills I've seen.

[img][img]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b341/ ... 3-1600.jpg[/img][/img]
Nah, that looks like a pretty typical KCS hat to me. :junior: -M