What is the OFFICIAL IJ4 Whip to buy?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Indiana Jackson
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

What is the OFFICIAL IJ4 Whip to buy?

Post by Indiana Jackson »

I want the one seen in the movie IJ4. I understand that Joe Strain, David Morgan, and Terry Jacka all supplied whips. Which one did Harrison Ford use in the movie? Any speculations or guesses? Need to know accurately.

Thanks.
IJ :?
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

So far the Jacka is the only really visible one. The rest are around there somewhere.

The whip coach preferred Terry's whips, that's why they are the only ones seen thus far.
Indiana Jackson
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

So if I wanted to buy the official IJ4 KOTCS whip, I should buy a Terry Jacka since thats what ford is seen using since Delongis trained him and thats what he preferred. Its a lot of money and I want to get it right.

Thanks.
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

Any of them would be fine.
Thats just the most featured one.
We wont know for sure until the film comes out on dvd.
But so far from the film, that is the only whip that has
been identified.

Adam Ouellette
www.wolfpitwhips.com
Last edited by Mola Ram on Wed May 21, 2008 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LemonLauren
Vendor

Post by LemonLauren »

The Jacka is probably the best guess so far, as it has showed up already in most of the promo material. But if you can wait one more day, we'll get to watch the movie and be able to know more accurately. (I'm so excited - the midnight showing is less than 8 hours away!!!!)

Lauren Wickline
www.midwestwhips.com
Indiana Jackson
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

I just finished talking with Colin at aussie saddle in Malibu and he said that The Jacka whip is the one seen and used in the movie. He also stated that Ford liked it so much that he took one home with him as did Spielberg and someone else. I don't know how true this is but I can see Ford keeping the whip regardless of who made it. Just something I heard.

Anyone know anything about ordering from the Aussie saddle company?
http://www.aussiesaddle.com/shootist/Sh ... 0Whips.htm

Trustworthy?

thanks,
IJ
redsleighdown
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by redsleighdown »

Indiana Jackson wrote:I just finished talking with Colin at aussie saddle in Malibu and he said that The Jacka whip is the one seen and used in the movie. He also stated that Ford liked it so much that he took one home with him as did Spielberg and someone else. I don't know how true this is but I can see Ford keeping the whip regardless of who made it. Just something I heard.

Anyone know anything about ordering from the Aussie saddle company?
http://www.aussiesaddle.com/shootist/Sh ... 0Whips.htm

Trustworthy?

thanks,
IJ
BE WARY! I am actually in the middle of a purchase from Colin right now. Yeah, Colin is a nice guy but I swear every time I inquire about an whip I want to order, If he’s out of stock of that one he will try to sell me a different one, insisting how great it is. He told me that he had the correct Indy whip in stock and when it arrived, it was the wrong one. He told me to take it out and try it because I would end up liking it just as much! You have to be VERY stern with him and it took a few debates to FINALLY get him to pay for shipping the WRONG whip back to him!

If you want the real Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal skull bullwhip, Tell him you want the new ten-foot bullwhip designed exclusively for Harrison Ford for the Indiana Jones sequel. The ones Terry Jacka is making for him and the one he has listed on his website with a six-inch handle and a handle core that extends three feet into the belly of the whip. You want it in antique brown, not black and the price should be $895 not including shipping. He is currently out of stock on these but should get a shipment in next month.

The other Jacka bullwhips he carries are the regular Australian bullwhip, with the 11 inch (short) handle and the Longer handled delongis style bullwhips, both great whips and essentially the same as the Indy whip, just made with longer handles.

Its a GREAT whip but just make sure you get the right one shipped! Dan (BullWhipBorton) is working on getting getting Jacka to sell whips to us directly but that is likely to be a good distance in the future. This would reduce the price but it is the exact same whip sold by aussiesadle.

Good luck!
Bardoon
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bardoon »

Now I'm going to TRY and pay attention to the whip in KotCS.

I'm wondering whether the HERO whip has the dark knots (whether through use or artificial weathering) or not as seen in the supplied whips by Terry Jacka and Joe Strain.

Then I have to e-mail Bernardo back and let him know whether I want the dark knots or not.
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Some of the whips that appeared on screen had darker knots, some didn’t It just depended on which one showed up in which scene.

the Aussie Stock Saddle Co. is where Anthony Delongis gets most of his whips from and is where the whips for the new film where ordered through. They are a reputable enough company, but yeah if you order from Colin you have to be very diligent and specific about what you want.

Regarding direct sales for Terry Jacka’s Indy 4 bullwhips, "I'm working on it, I'm working on it!" :lol: Terry wanted to wait until the film was released so that everyone could see the whips on screen and see if that justified the prices and effort of making them to individual to order.

The plan is to be able to offer 10ft and 8ft copies of the Crystal Skull bullwhip, while The prices will still be a bit on the higher side compared to the copies being made by other whip makers, they should be more reasonable then what TASSC is charging currently. Unfortunately things like postage from Australia and the permits to export kangaroo hide products out of the country drive the cost up and there is really no way around that.

Another issue is that Terry is kept very busy with his large scale orders. so even when he does start dealing with customers directly, the output of these whips is going to be anything but fast. I'm currently the “guinea pig” for this process so hopefully everything will go smoothly (keep your fingers crossed) and I will be able to announce something more definite with in the next couple weeks now that the movie is out.

Dan
ztmario
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ztmario »

actually, the "official" indy bullwhip is probably this one: http://shop.indianajones.com/catalog/pr ... d1=;pcid2=

don't know if it's been posted about yet, that's what I was looking for. guess it's time to update the whip list.
stealthboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by stealthboy »

ztmario wrote:actually, the "official" indy bullwhip is probably this one: http://shop.indianajones.com/catalog/pr ... d1=;pcid2=

don't know if it's been posted about yet, that's what I was looking for. guess it's time to update the whip list.
It may be "officially" licensed, but it does not represent the whip seen in the movie. Just FYI.
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

BullWhipBorton wrote: I'm currently the “guinea pig” for this process so hopefully everything will go smoothly (keep your fingers crossed) and I will be able to announce something more definite with in the next couple weeks now that the movie is out.
Dan, can I just be the first to say this:

"You Lucky Son-of-a...errrr....uhhhh...Very nice couple, I'm sure!"

Thanks for the continued info. Keep us posted on Jacka customs. I don't necessarily want a KotCS bullwhip, but I DO want a custom Jacka at some point in the not so distant future!

As to whips appearing in the movie, as near as I could see it's ALWAYS the Jacka on the belt. It's ALWAYS a Jacka in Ford's hand. When he's just standing there with it, and when he's using it as a rope between him and Ray Winstone toward the end, (NO SPOILERS, HONEST!)

In the ONE scene where it's Harrison cracking, it's the Jacka.

In the ONE scene where it's a stunt person, (the warehouse bits that we've seen from the trailer,) it's probably a Strain that uncoils, (as Strain's whips were SUPPOSEDLY for the stunt guys,)

It's a Morgan handle that extends out, (I'd heard that David braided a couple handles over some chroma green rods that extended a few inches from them so that animators could motion track the handle for adding the CGI whip,)

It's a bunch of Pixels generated in Alias:Maya that wrap around the light fixture.

It's a steel cable core stunt whip that Harrison is swinging on, (either with a whip braided over top of it a la Morgan's black whip in Zorro, or Eurothane rubber molded over it like the swinging whip in Raiders probably was.)

And then it's the Jacka again when he smacks into the hood of the truck.

That's what it looked like to these old eyes. I'm going to see it again tomorrow, (taking my Mom, who started this whole buisness with me when she dragged her 6 year old kid to see Raiders back in '81!) I'll be watching for details then.

All the best...

-The Other Dan
ztmario
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ztmario »

stealthboy wrote:
ztmario wrote:actually, the "official" indy bullwhip is probably this one: http://shop.indianajones.com/catalog/pr ... d1=;pcid2=

It may be "officially" licensed, but it does not represent the whip seen in the movie. Just FYI.
yeah, I got that.. but since he said "official" in big bold letters when posing his question..
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

I can't wait for Terry Jacka to put up his own website. I'd like to buy one of his Indy 4 whips.
Hairyloft
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Hairyloft »

I'm really hoping that Terry Jacka can set up a site or BullwhipBorton can help set us up as this is the whip I want, just not sure I can stretch to the the Aussie Stock Saddle Co anymore, unless I have to!

Jason