If I wanted to order an Adventurebilt for my birthday

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

If I wanted to order an Adventurebilt for my birthday

Post by blueoakleyz »

I would LOVE to order the same exact hat as Indy used in a movie.

I probably couldn't afford one for a year or so (just got out of college) but when I do order do you think 1) the price will be the same? 2) it will be exactly like the one Harrison Ford used except for te size?

New question at bottom
Last edited by blueoakleyz on Mon May 26, 2008 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Price depends on Steve. It probably won't go up too much if it does. The hat itself, however, will be identical to the screen used hats.

Dave
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

God that's awesome
I may even order it in Harrison's size just for the coolness of it
mtechthang
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: If I wanted to order an Adventurebilt in say a year...

Post by mtechthang »

blueoakleyz wrote:I would LOVE to order the same exact hat as Indy used in a movie.

I probably couldn't afford one for a year or so (just got out of college) but when I do order do you think 1) the price will be the same? 2) it will be exactly like the one Harrison Ford used except for the size?
Welcome to COW! Well, you can order the same hat from the same builder. And there is every reason to believe they will still be in business, yes. :D

Also, look around the site and you'll see that is one of the main reasons the Adventurebilt co (Marc and Steve) were chosen to make the hats for CS. They can make you pretty much exact copies of any of the hats from any particular scene of the movie of your choice but do so in a superior felt and handwork.

As to the price, contact Adventurebilt http://www.adventurebilthats.com/ and ask. (You'll have to be very patient for a while with communication given how busy they must be!) Given uncertainties of the market, I don't think you are going to get any assurances as to the price on anything a year from now. That would be unwise for any business to do.

I believe that Steve and Marc will keep their prices fair as they can given demand and realities of the processes and materials. Although they are going to be exceptionally busy for a time, they are great to do business with and you should contact them. You can also keep up with things here and they do stop by periodically and have at times offered incentives to members here. Also, check out Fedora Chronicles and Fedora Lounge- they are not so Indy or screen accuracy oriented, imho, but you should subscribe to several of the lists in order to maximize your enjoyment of Fedoras. The expertise of the members of this list can also be a great advantage for your search for the perfect hat!
lingarn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by lingarn »

Actually, it looks like the price has already gone up, as promised...

It is $400 today, wasn't it $350 earlier this week?
mtechthang
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Price?

Post by mtechthang »

lingarn wrote:as promised...

It is $400 today, wasn't it $350 earlier this week?
Yes. But I have to say the $50.00 increase is surely less than expected! :) Wonder if/what Steve will continue to do for COW though? I know he said one reason for the increase was the work-load. Contacting him is still the best policy, once we can get through, that is! :shock: (I couldn't be happier for you Steve (and Marc)! I wish you all the best as this is going to be a stressful time (at least in a good way)!! I almost wonder if there isn't someone you know in his area who might be willing to field some of the email landslide in lieu of a Delk original 8) - I know, that's probably fraught with as many problems as solutions.) :oops:
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

I'm kind of sad the price went up already :( I might not be able to get one for quite a while

I might be interested in getting one in Harrison Ford's hatsize for 100% screen accuracy if there is a chance it might fit on my head, tight or not. Does anyone know his size?

I would like to start wearing fedora's just for the heck of it and might end up getting an Indy brown + gray Fed IV

This all seems like a prop-world kind of thing but in the real-world, how much do fedoras that people generally just buy for the style run?

Thanks for the welcome
mtechthang
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Geepers. Why??

Post by mtechthang »

blueoakleyz wrote: I might be interested in getting one in Harrison Ford's hatsize for 100% screen accuracy if there is a chance it might fit on my head, tight or not. Does anyone know his size?
Umm. I'm kind of gob smacked by that one. :shock: (I checked- language wise, that's ok!) :o I guess if you wanted it just for a display. But why'd anyone pay that kind of scratch for a hat whose claim to fame is utility and a work ethic if it doesn't fit? (If memory serves he's a 7 1/4 but you should check- I'm only sure of my own size). :)
blueoakleyz wrote:I would like to start wearing fedora's just for the heck of it and might end up getting an Indy brown + gray Fed IV

Look at the Camptowns- he gives break to COW members- just do a search. There are several styles and colors. But till you know you want to wear em, perhaps Akubras or other Rabbit fur would be a good start. (Again, this site is full of advice on buying and making authentic versions- else, you can get the original - the Herbert Johnson Poet from http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/catalog/
blueoakleyz wrote:This all seems like a prop-world kind of thing but in the real-world, how much do fedoras that people generally just buy for the style run?

Anywhere from $125 for Akubras on up to $1000 (some nutters even more) :) but you can get customs for around $300 or so up. Take your time. Find one you like and try it out (I can't stress too much the importance of fitting properly). Best of luck.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

mtechthang got it right. A good custom hat will be around $300 - the Adventurebilt itself being the top of the line - if not quite the top of the budget. :junior: -M
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

Yeah, I know, kind of silly. Just depends on how close it could fit my head after I've lost some weight.
mtechthang
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

But probably not tooooooo. . .

Post by mtechthang »

blueoakleyz wrote:Yeah, I know, kind of silly. Just depends on how close it could fit my head after I've lost some weight.
Blueoakleyz- Only a little :). But wearing it is more important to me as I need to (have to!) wear hats thanks to mister sun :twisted: (who I love!). True, here Steve and Marc are top of the heap (well, they may be their own heap? :lol: :lol: :lol: ) Camptown Hats http://www.camptownhats.com makes a pretty good 50/50 rabbit/beaver fedora for a bit less than Adventurebilt. The Herbert Johnson Poet is a good rabbit fedora but do get the one from Magnoli as the felt is much improved over current ones. Several other sites do good discussions of the fedora- there is much to learn. Most isn't all that important in the grand scheme- except, as Joe said in "Shadow of a Doubt", "Don't put the hat on the bed."
oswd
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by oswd »

400$
D'OH
:'(
Very expensive for me in this moment.
FloatinJoe
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Price?

Post by FloatinJoe »

mtechthang wrote:Wonder if/what Steve will continue to do for COW though?
If I remember correctly, the COW discount disappeared on the 22nd as well.

Fedora said in another thread:
Fedora wrote:The COW discount is still good for members, until May 22. At that time, the discounted price will only be for my customers who have done business with me. The COW discount would have been good for right at 4 years, and if you did not take advantage of it in those years, there is no one to blame but yourself. :D
I am just glad that I made a purchase before the movie.

Mike
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

errrg now I"m worried, do you guys think it will go up in prize again in the next year or two? I desperately want one but don't have the disposable income yet
Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

If the demand continues to skyrocket like it has, I think Steve will have no choice but to raise his prices to help slow down the orders and decrease the wait time. He's only human and can only make so many hats a day.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Its great to know that Steve is indeed extending the COW discount to those who had done business with him prior to CS. Not that his hats aren't worth the $400, its just that that is still alot of money, even if it is the best quality hat you can have. I would have no problem paying the current price, but the old one is certainly appealing, isn't it? Glad I got my order in on time.

Dave
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

I'm going to have to ask for this as a present in september for my bday
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

I'm thinking I may order one for my birthday so the price doesn't go up again by the time I order. My birthday is in september though.

Here's what I want to know, would Steve make me one IDENTICAL to the hero one Harrison used? For example the same materials, design, bash. And all the same logos or lack of logos?

Also apparently Harrison's size for the original Raiders was 7 1/4 (58cm). I figure that it has to have expanded a LITTLE bit over 20+ years so maybe it's a 59.

Either way, when I measure myself with a measuring tape, loosely, I'm a 60. BUT if I pull it as tight as it can go I'm a little under a 58. So I think it could fit. Would it stretch eventually?
Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

Why would you buy a hat that doesn't fit, just so it is like Ford's, and then try to make it strech to fit on your head? It would throw the look off completely. Just get one made in your size. Even if you order now, chances are that by the time your hat is made the run of bodies that he made the movie hats from will be depleted (if it isn't already) and there will be a different run of felt. No real difference, but it's like the USWings LE jackets made from the same run of leather as the movie jackets.

Steve uses the same blocks, can bash it the same way, but he uses his own liners. The ones for the movie had plain white liners in them.
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

Which September you trying you get to?? This September or next September. I ordered mine in January of this year and I don't expect to get my hat until September or this year maybe even a little later.

As far as size goes you should go with a measurement that fits on your head comfortably. Hats shrink as you wear them due to sweat and just really being on your head. Steve makes the hats a little bigger and then they usually form to your head. You don't want to pull the measurement to tight on your head. You should measure above the eyebrows, but it should not be too loose or too tight. Its about a hat that is going to fit you and last a long time, not one designed for Harrison Ford. I suggest to save up your money and try to get one as soon as you can. Even though it is $400 dollars for the hat, it will be worth it. :wink:

IndianaChris
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

Indiana wrote:Why would you buy a hat that doesn't fit, just so it is like Ford's, and then try to make it strech to fit on your head? It would throw the look off completely. Just get one made in your size. Even if you order now, chances are that by the time your hat is made the run of bodies that he made the movie hats from will be depleted (if it isn't already) and there will be a different run of felt. No real difference, but it's like the USWings LE jackets made from the same run of leather as the movie jackets.

Steve uses the same blocks, can bash it the same way, but he uses his own liners. The ones for the movie had plain white liners in them.
It's more important to me as a collectable. Besides it could fit. I have a medium dorfman pacific that used to fit but is too tight now but it does still technically "fit".
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

IndianaChris711 wrote:Which September you trying you get to?? This September or next September. I ordered mine in January of this year and I don't expect to get my hat until September or this year maybe even a little later.

As far as size goes you should go with a measurement that fits on your head comfortably. Hats shrink as you wear them due to sweat and just really being on your head. Steve makes the hats a little bigger and then they usually form to your head. You don't want to pull the measurement to tight on your head. You should measure above the eyebrows, but it should not be too loose or too tight. Its about a hat that is going to fit you and last a long time, not one designed for Harrison Ford. I suggest to save up your money and try to get one as soon as you can. Even though it is $400 dollars for the hat, it will be worth it. :wink:

IndianaChris
This september is when I'd order. It'd be funny if it arrived for my birthday sept 2009.
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

It's something I'll definately flipflop between between now and september. But I'll have experience with an Akubra by then.
If it's not the same materials I might just go with a stock AB (it would still be 100% screen accurate right?) in my size.
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

blueoakleyz wrote:It's something I'll definately flipflop between between now and september. But I'll have experience with an Akubra by then.
If it's not the same materials I might just go with a stock AB (it would still be 100% screen accurate right?) in my size.
I don't know what you mean by a stock AB...The only 100% Screen Accurate AB is to get one made by Steve or Marc themselves by hand. I guess with the September thing I am not joking. If you order a hat now your probably going to have to wait a year to get it. So if you order a hat in September, your probably going to get it next year sometime. When.. I don't know, depends on if lead times go down here in the next couple of months and your hat size. I would measure your head a couple of times, it is what I did, and I kept getting close to 24 inches, I think it was 23 7/8. Anyways start saving up, who knows the hat price could go up again.

IndianaChris
mtechthang
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Akubra isn't the only option.

Post by mtechthang »

blueoakleyz wrote:It's something I'll definately flipflop between between now and september. But I'll have experience with an Akubra by then.
Akubras are fine hats, I have a few. Also look at Camptown hats. Pretty close between the Fieldmaster and the Fed. Likely the Fieldmaster is cheaper given shipping!! It is a 50/50 beaver/rabbit blend so a bit better felt (arguably, anyway). :)

http://www.camptownhats.com/
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

IndianaChris711 wrote:
I don't know what you mean by a stock AB...The only 100% Screen Accurate AB is to get one made by Steve or Marc themselves by hand. I guess with the September thing I am not joking. If you order a hat now your probably going to have to wait a year to get it. So if you order a hat in September, your probably going to get it next year sometime. When.. I don't know, depends on if lead times go down here in the next couple of months and your hat size. I would measure your head a couple of times, it is what I did, and I kept getting close to 24 inches, I think it was 23 7/8. Anyways start saving up, who knows the hat price could go up again.

IndianaChris
By stock I do mean one made by hand but I mean with all the logos they would normally put on it.
Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

blueoakleyz wrote: By stock I do mean one made by hand but I mean with all the logos they would normally put on it.
All AB's have their logo on them. Only the film hats had their liners changed out for white ones.
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

Indiana wrote:
blueoakleyz wrote: By stock I do mean one made by hand but I mean with all the logos they would normally put on it.
All AB's have their logo on them. Only the film hats had their liners changed out for white ones.
Could they make one like that for a customer?
Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

That is a question you would have to ask Steve or Marc.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

They are custom made hats. I see no reason why not. But why would you do that when you can proudly bear the AB logo on your hat?

Dave
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

DR Ulloa wrote:They are custom made hats. I see no reason why not. But why would you do that when you can proudly bear the AB logo on your hat?

Dave
It just depends. On one hand I might want it as a pure collectable, one that I could say (not as in literally lie about it or deceive people) "This was made for the movie but wasn't used". Did some on the film have the logo?

But yeah, no matter what it would be 100% screen accurate on the outside huh..
mtechthang
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mtechthang »

blueoakleyz wrote:"This was made for the movie but wasn't used".
Well. That does seem a little deceptive, no? More like, it is just like the one in CS and made by the guy who made Indy's hat.
blueoakleyz wrote:But yeah, no matter what it would be 100% screen accurate on the outside huh..
Mostly. There is a lot of posting (elsewhere here and on other sites) about how to make it screen accurate - (you can do a search- you have to dirty and sweat it up a bit depending on the scene you are talking about).
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

mtechthang wrote:
blueoakleyz wrote:"This was made for the movie but wasn't used".
Well. That does seem a little deceptive, no? More like, it is just like the one in CS and made by the guy who made Indy's hat.
blueoakleyz wrote:But yeah, no matter what it would be 100% screen accurate on the outside huh..
Mostly. There is a lot of posting (elsewhere here and on other sites) about how to make it screen accurate - (you can do a search- you have to dirty and sweat it up a bit depending on the scene you are talking about).
See this part: "(not as in literally lie about it or deceive people)"
mtechthang
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Please do accept my apologies if that offended-

Post by mtechthang »

blueoakleyz wrote: See this part: "(not as in literally lie about it or deceive people)"
Blueoakleyz, I apologize for that slip. If that offended I could see why. :oops: I used the word deceptive when "misleading" would have been a better choice of words. Ironically, I was intending to point out that your choice of words might mislead (but recognizing that you didn't intend to). Unfortunately I didn't choose my words very carefully at all. Sorry. #-o
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Please do accept my apologies if that offended-

Post by blueoakleyz »

mtechthang wrote:
blueoakleyz wrote: See this part: "(not as in literally lie about it or deceive people)"
Blueoakleyz, I apologize for that slip. If that offended I could see why. :oops: I used the word deceptive when "misleading" would have been a better choice of words. Ironically, I was intending to point out that your choice of words might mislead (but recognizing that you didn't intend to). Unfortunately I didn't choose my words very carefully at all. Sorry. #-o
No I wasn't offended I just wanted to clarify.