The Federation IV Display Page

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

BoilermakerJones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by BoilermakerJones »

Gabrielle,

What size is your Keppler and how well does it fit? The problem with measuring bare heads is that the widest point on your head may be a measurement between points on your head that don't leave room for the brim to clear your ears. And don't forget that you don't want the top crease to sit on the top of your head. Taking a measurement from a hat that fits well should prevent this problem.

I measured the inside of my hat by making a 1 inch band of cardboard - such as a cereal box - that is a few inches longer than my expected measurement. I then looped it inside the sweatband pushing both ends toward the middle to prevent slack. I then made a single line that marked both ends. I took the band out and measured between the lines. It was just too difficult to try to keep a fabric measuring tape to stay in place all the way around the sweatband.

If you still end up with 56.5, I would say go with the 57 and use the fitting tape as slightly too big is better than slightly too small.

I hope this helps.

Matt
morganswift

Post by morganswift »

I have some pics earlier in this thread of my Fed IV size 59. Just got my new 58 and it fits a lot better out of the box (only a short bit of foam was needed rather than all of it). Bash probably still in progress but getting there...

Cheers
Alex
Drhenryindianajones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Drhenryindianajones »

thats a perfect fit for you alex looks good nice bash to

as far as sizing goes email them the inches they will check for you the closest match there pretty good i have a fed and fed 4 love them both but i cant wait to get my ab
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

juuuuuuust pulled the trigger on a fed4 dlx. thanks to all on this thread who were accomplices in emptying my wallet :lol:

she's gonna be my CS stunt hat.....i'm look'n to put some serious mileage on this one as the leading actor is gonna stay in the trailer (sorry steve).

will post pics when the aussie pkg comes in :D
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

gabrielle wrote:I wear a 22 1/4" or 56.5cm. Would the 56 or 57 be best for a good fit?

:?
Just email Ron your measurement. He'll select the best hat for your needs. Thats what I did.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

morganswift wrote:I have some pics earlier in this thread of my Fed IV size 59. Just got my new 58 and it fits a lot better out of the box (only a short bit of foam was needed rather than all of it). Bash probably still in progress but getting there...

Cheers
Alex
Wow! Look at the difference in color with those 2 pictures! Why...the top picture looks like the 'Seaplane hat', while the second looks like the hero hat! .... :lol:
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

gabrielle wrote:I wear a 22 1/4" or 56.5cm. Would the 56 or 57 be best for a good fit?

Ok Gab- I just went through this, so I have first hand knowledge. I have the same exact measurements as you, and I initially got a 57. It was huge! So I sent it back and got a 56. It fit just right. -For a day. Then it got really nice and cozy against my head. It really likes me now and gives me a really good head-hug when I put it on. (I'm being sarcastic- it got too tight just from normal wear). So...I'll be selling this one to get another 57!!
I didn't wear the 57 at all since it was too big and I wanted to exchange it, but at the rate the 56 snugged up, the 57 would have been a perfect fit after a day or so of wearing it. Ron is right about the sizing on these.
Hmmmm....imagine that, Ron the hat expert knew more about his product than I did! What are the odds...?
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

citRon wrote:

Ok Gab- I just went through this, so I have first hand knowledge. I have the same exact measurements as you, and I initially got a 57. It was huge! So I sent it back and got a 56. It fit just right. -For a day. Then it got really nice and cozy against my head. It really likes me now and gives me a really good head-hug when I put it on. (I'm being sarcastic- it got too tight just from normal wear). So...I'll be selling this one to get another 57!!
I didn't wear the 57 at all since it was too big and I wanted to exchange it, but at the rate the 56 snugged up, the 57 would have been a perfect fit after a day or so of wearing it. Ron is right about the sizing on these.
Hmmmm....imagine that, Ron the hat expert knew more about his product than I did! What are the odds...?

:lol: I feel really bad for you bro...Seriously....What a pain....but well worth it!!
morganswift

Post by morganswift »

citRon, yeah it's strange re the colour. The first one was natural light and the second had some indoor lighting. The colour changes a lot. Adds more confusion to the plane scene in Raiders...

The sizing is a little tricky on these but I figure if you're having to put a little bit of the foam tape in that's probably a good thing...

Alex
WeeMadHamish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by WeeMadHamish »

Alright, here's my FedIV regular. As of this picture it has been turned, spritzed with water, sat upon, beaten with a brush, kicked around on the floor, creased along the ribbon and dusted in anticipation of opening night. The first pic is kind of blurry, but it gives a good look at the silhouette from the front.

ImageImage

I guess I'm going for a sort-of-Well-of-Souls look. I'm still working on the upward swoop the (my) right-hand side of the brim... I probably should have turned it about half an inch more.
Steve27752
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Steve27752 »

I had to do it. Has anyone else done it?.....................................................................................I`ve cut out the plastic section at the top of the liner in my Fed 1V!
Steve :D
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

Thanks all I guess I will be going with the 57. I sold my Keppler because it was too big. It was a long oval and I don't have a long oval head so I think that was the trouble. I gave Jimmy my measurements on my new JPD rabbit and it fits perfect. I appreciate all the help...

:D
BoilermakerJones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Steve,

I will leave the plastic in my Fed IV as it gives protection from grease stains in the top of the hat. I had that problem with my old Baily that sat directly on the top of my head. The Fed sits just off the top of my head, so I don't want any repeats.

Gabrielle,

I knew you got the JPD, but I guess I missed that you sold the Keppler. Good luck with your Fed, I love mine! I have enlarged the side dimples from my original pictures and I think it looks much better now.

Matt
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

BoilermakerJones wrote:Steve,

I will leave the plastic in my Fed IV as it gives protection from grease stains in the top of the hat. I had that problem with my old Baily that sat directly on the top of my head. The Fed sits just off the top of my head, so I don't want any repeats.

Gabrielle,

I knew you got the JPD, but I guess I missed that you sold the Keppler. Good luck with your Fed, I love mine! I have enlarged the side dimples from my original pictures and I think it looks much better now.

Matt
Pics please Mr. Jones!
BoilermakerJones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Gabrielle wrote:
Pics please Mr. Jones!
I just new someone would say that. I'll see what I can do tomorrow, but my daughter will be marching in the Memorial Day Parade followed by a band picnic. Maybe someone can get my picture outside to compare with my previous flash pics.

Matt
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

Morgan, that is a sweet looking fed!!! I like the bash alot!! Good job bro!
morganswift

Post by morganswift »

Cheers, Vegeta. Been tweaking the bash today actually - it's kind of an ongoing process! 8)

Alex
Africa Jones
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Africa Jones »

Alex's 2 bashes really look the part: a question - how many of you have turned the new fed and are bashing it in a Raider's style? (if so based on what scene - ie SOC, Idol grab etc)

My old Fed other than the bow and slight taper I'm very happy with, especially having removed the wire in the sweat band. How many here have "upgraded" from old model feds and is it worth it?

Africa
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Steve27752 wrote:I had to do it. Has anyone else done it?.....................................................................................I`ve cut out the plastic section at the top of the liner in my Fed 1V!
Yes. :lol: I carefully cut out the plastic cap in the liner this morning and the hat breathes MUCH better, especially since it's warm out today! The plastic cap in the liner traps all the heat in!

I'm still tweaking mine, but I'll get a pic up sooner or later. :wink:
Steve27752
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Steve27752 »

binkmeisterRick wrote:
Steve27752 wrote:I had to do it. Has anyone else done it?.....................................................................................I`ve cut out the plastic section at the top of the liner in my Fed 1V!
Yes. :lol: I carefully cut out the plastic cap in the liner this morning and the hat breathes MUCH better, especially since it's warm out today! The plastic cap in the liner traps all the heat in!

I'm still tweaking mine, but I'll get a pic up sooner or later. :wink:
I am bald on top and the top of my Fed was literally running with water (not very pleasant)!
I would like to dye the liner a light brown/khaki. Hair dye has been suggested. But I do not want it to run into the felt NOR run/bleed when wet.
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

If I get one will it be screen accurate for LC?
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

Im wanting to cut the plastic out of mine...
can you guys post pics of the liner with the plastic gone?
WeeMadHamish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by WeeMadHamish »

Africa Jones wrote:Alex's 2 bashes really look the part: a question - how many of you have turned the new fed and are bashing it in a Raider's style? (if so based on what scene - ie SOC, Idol grab etc)

My old Fed other than the bow and slight taper I'm very happy with, especially having removed the wire in the sweat band. How many here have "upgraded" from old model feds and is it worth it?

Africa
I did, in answer to both your questions. I own a Fed III regular, and I have to say that both the color and overall crown shape make for a much nice Raiders-style fedora.

My hat is loosely "Well of Souls" styled (which looks to me to be pretty much the sames as the Idol Grab plus some extra fuller's earth,) though it probably could have used just a bit more turn to get the upward swoop of the right side to be just a little more prominent. I've distressed the heck out of the felt and it's softened up nicely, and since I keep fiddling with the brim it might get droopy enough eventually for a nice SoC look.

Oh, and thanks for the praise, Aeris. I love what you do with your hats. :tup:
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Anyone know the quality of some of Akubra's other fedoras, not just the Fed?

My next purchase is a fed...especially due to the pics here...but I'm interested in different styles also and wondered if the other fedoras on hatsdirect were the same quality as the Fed.
WeeMadHamish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by WeeMadHamish »

They're all made out of the same Imperial or Heritage felt (which Akubra makes in its own factories, rather than outsourcing), so I'd say they're exactly the same quality. The only difference might be the amount of stiffener used in them, but that always varies anyway.
BTJepson
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by BTJepson »

I just got email confirmation that my Fed IV will be arriving in 5-10 days! As a total newb, I'm very excited at the prospect of a great looking hat that has such nice historical and screen accuracy. You can't beat that price either.

Now the big question, I love the Raiders bash, so... To turn or not to turn, that is the question.
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

scot2525 wrote:Well after reading every post in this thread I ordered my Fed IV stnd. tonight. I ordered a 55 after measuring my head keeping in mind I am two weeks overdue for a haircut. I am very exited about getting this hat. I am apprehensive about trying to bash it myself but think I can do a reasonable job with the tips I am finding on this website.

MorganSwift your hat is absolutely outstanding, I only hope I can get mine to look as half as good as your hat does.
My Fed IV just arrived less than hour ago. Everything appears to be in order. I am glad I went a size down and got the 55 as I will have to use the foam tape. I will get some pics up tonight whwn I get home. Icannot believe how fast this hat arrived.
jkdbuck76
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jkdbuck76 »

Does the Deluxe use Imperial felt?

Or the Heritage?
Buchanan Bob
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Buchanan Bob »

It uses the Heritage.
ANJALI
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Some pictures of the Deluxe

Post by ANJALI »

I received one week ago my "Deluxe".
very good hat. The felt has of course a better quality than the Fed IV. it is very easy to form the hat...
I hope that you'll be convinced
FEDIV
FEDIV
Deluxe (we see clearly the difference of quality for the felt)
Deluxe
Deluxe
Anjali
Last edited by ANJALI on Wed May 28, 2008 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
floyd1977
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by floyd1977 »

Well my federation is ordered and will be shipping soon. Can anyone direct me to a good guide on bashing the hat? Im going for a last crusade look. I've never bashed a hat before so Im a bit weary about it. If I mess if up can I ruin the hat? Should I use steam, I was looking a a bsh guide that said if I'd never used steam I should just shape it by hand and then get it wet in the rain when I was satisfied with the bash.. Good idea?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Anjali, who in the world is your photographer? I could SWEAR I was looking at shots made for a magazine photo spread on the AB Deluxe!!! :shock:

FANTASTIC!!!! :clap:

HIGH Regards! Michaelson
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

Anjali, Great looking feds bro!! They suit you very well!!
ANJALI
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by ANJALI »

:oops:
Michaelson...I blush !
There are pictures took by myself !
I'm a wildlife photographer... :wink:
Buchanan Bob
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Buchanan Bob »

Fantastic looking feds ANJALI. Great job on the bashing.
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

Well here are the pics of my Fed IV stnd. that arrived today. This is the first "real" hat that I have ever owned and this is my first attempt at bashing a hat. I spent about 20 minutes trying to get something close to an Indy look. Constructive criticismis welcome and wanted, a few links to "bashing" tutorials would be appreciated. Just remember, " Will you take it easy!!"

Here are the pics.

Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

Scot, the front of your fed looks pretty good. But I think you bashed it a good bit too far down in the back. Use a bit of steam to sofen it up, then bring it up some by pushing from the inside. Here is a pic of how I bashed the back of mine.

Last edited by Vegeta on Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

starting to love the subtle pinches these days....lends themselves to TOD.... :D

you've got slight taper going on there which is probably a result of pushing your center crease in too deep. but if that is how you prefer to style your hat, then i think you've done one marvelous job!

cheers,

G
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

ANJALI wrote::oops:
Michaelson...I blush !
There are pictures took by myself !
I'm a wildlife photographer... :wink:
I sent a link to Ron at HatsDirect so he can see your excellent shots. :D

HIGH regards! Michaelson
ANJALI
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by ANJALI »

the administrator told me that the size of the pictures is too big. So I'll delete later my post. I have to go in my work now !
:(
Anjali
ANJALI
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by ANJALI »

The pictures have been resized...
I'm very sorry for the difficulty.
Regards
Anjali :oops:
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

Vegeta wrote:As promised...a pic of me with my fed on.

I have to say this 1 more time...Every time I see this pic I can't help thinking how that hat looks so perfect for you. That is why I was finally convinced to try my hand at bashing and get a FED IV. I absolutely love this pic. It was well worth the wait once you got the hat and it looks so nice on you!!!

GREAT JOB!!!

Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

gabrielle wrote: I have to say this 1 more time...Every time I see this pic I can't help thinking how that hat looks so perfect for you. That is why I was finally convinced to try my hand at bashing and get a FED IV. I absolutely love this pic. It was well worth the wait once you got the hat and it looks so nice on you!!!

GREAT JOB!!!

:oops: You make me blush...lol. Thanks SOOO much for the compliments again!! Post some pics of yours!! I'd love to see em!!
BroadSword
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by BroadSword »

OH SUCH TORTURE!! My wife just called and told me, "You got 2 big boxes...one from The Hattery... And one from Chicago". As fate would have it, my new Fed IV and Wested jacket (purchased from the Cairo Bazaar) have shown up on the same day. How cool is that! Now hopefully they both fit me right. I'll report back later tonight. Hmmm should I go home early or not...that is the question.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

i've gone home early just to bash open crown hats that came in :lol: .....you know, come to think of it, you don't look so well....perhaps you should lie down or even yet, take the rest of the day off :wink:
Georgia Jones
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Georgia Jones »

Broadsword, how in the heck can you concentrate at work with those treasures awaiting you at home... :lol:
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

I just wanted to report that I decided to cut the plastic liner out of mine. i did it VERY carefully with some small scissors on my leatherman and i took my time... I have to say i like the looks of it much better and it breathes better too considering its so hot outside...

Looks better eh?
Nobody
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nobody »

That turned out very good
The Librarian
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Hats Direct site

Post by The Librarian »

Just came from the site and the pic of the Heritage Fawn Deluxe is not coming up? Anyone hear of it being dropped, or changed?

Thinking of a new Deluxe but I have a Fed Deluxe III (size 61) in the dark brown and it's hard to justify another. If only the Deluxe came in Moonstone! *sigh*
BroadSword
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by BroadSword »

Question...do ALL versions of the Fed say "Imperial Quality Felt" or just the deluxe?