After seeing the movie....

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

After seeing the movie....

Post by Mississippi Jones »

I'm gonna get a Novapelle from Wested :D . I thought it looked really good in the film, and now I've decided that that's gonna be my next jacket. :D

By the way, all of you U.S. Wings LE owners, when you were watching the movie and you see Harrison wearing his jacket, did it have a special meaning to you? Did you say to yourself, "Yea, I've got that too!" 8)

That's what I would've said......you lucky sons-a-..... :)
ortiz344
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ortiz344 »

i posted this in the indy iv section but, the jacket was soaking wet thru half the movie, hard to tell how it really looks...
TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TonyRush »

I guess I don't understand this thread. The jackets in the movie were made by Tony Nowak. Why did watching the movie motivate you to want to buy a different jacket?

Tony
TheChimp
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by TheChimp »

Well, I don't know what his reason is, but the Wested would be 1/2 the price.....
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

In many of the shots, I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the Nowak and the Wested novapelle hide, and I'm not being biased because I own a Wested CS. The only give-away was in some of the very close-up shots where you could see that the leather was shiny. All of the cemetery / cave passage / Akator temple stuff where the Indy was really covered it dust- I could have sworn blue that he was wearing a Wested novapelle.
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

TheChimp wrote:Well, I don't know what his reason is, but the Wested would be 1/2 the price.....
Not if you have to send it back for repairs or because they build it wrong! (Running away very fast)
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Peter has hit upon a great leather with the novapelle. The darker colour it has is a good match for what you see on screen.

The drape is very much like the screen leather too.

I got a little self conscious walking out of the theatre with mostly gear and the jacket... I could feel the stares... "Hey, that jacket really looks like...", lol!

Wested offer a great price and a great jacket.

This one has had a coat of pecard.

TheFedoraGuy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TheFedoraGuy »

Kt Templar wrote:Peter has hit upon a great leather with the novapelle. The darker colour it has is a good match for what you see on screen.

The drape is very much like the screen leather too.

I got a little self conscious walking out of the theatre with mostly gear and the jacket... I could feel the stares... "Hey, that jacket really looks like...", lol!

Wested offer a great price and a great jacket.

This one has had a coat of pecard.

Great jacket!!! Can't await mine... placed the CS/Novapelle order 2 weeks ago, hope it won't take so long any more.
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Why would you want to buy anything related to this movie!?
I'm fighting urges to sell or burn everything I own that's Indy related!

TR
myamoebafriend
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by myamoebafriend »

Ok, you didn't like the movie, I can give you that. But I don't see why all these people think that has to affect the other movies for them. And this is a jacket forum, so put that opinion somewhere else.
TheFedoraGuy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TheFedoraGuy »

Texas Raider wrote:Why would you want to buy anything related to this movie!?

TR
I liked the movie. The 7 people who were with me even loved it. The entire audience was amazed according to the their clapping and cheering. Maybe it's because we are Germans and the evil guys are Russians this time ;-)
sebas
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sebas »

The Nowak/Pollack jacket looked painfully medoicre. Puffy, clunky, and the color was too light. As with anything, Raiders will always be the "be all and end all" of Indiana Jones.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

Yes the colour is too light, but it seems a quality jacket to my eyes. 8-[
Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chewie Louie »

TR
Lighten up Francis. :roll:
Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chewie Louie »

sebas wrote:The Nowak/Pollack jacket looked painfully medoicre. Puffy, clunky, and the color was too light.
Not a chance. If anything, the gear looked GREAT. The hat and the jacket both. I can't wait for my Nowak and AB to arrive.
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

TR
viewtopic.php?t=29966
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mississippi Jones »

To back up my reason for getting a Wested Novapelle instead of Nowaks...like it was said, it's HALF THE PRICE!

I've heard some GREAT things about U.S. Wings and I would order one from them except I'm worried about the sizing. With Wested I know I can get it customed made and it will fit the way I want it to. :D
Digger
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Digger »

Mazda Miatas and Porsche Turbos are both good sports cars. There is always a reason for cheap!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Most the time, yes. 8)

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

i just received my TN jacket and have a wested X-1 in novapelle. the novapelle is a tad lighter in weight and feels more like real leather. the TN leather feels 'velvety'.

as you can see by KT's photos, making a wested CS from novapelle is the way to go if you don't want the nowak jacket.

the fit is surprisingly close to an 80's fit wested so i would request that if you're gonna hit peter up for one.

G
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Mississippi Jones wrote:To back up my reason for getting a Wested Novapelle instead of Nowaks...like it was said, it's HALF THE PRICE!

I've heard some GREAT things about U.S. Wings and I would order one from them except I'm worried about the sizing. With Wested I know I can get it customed made and it will fit the way I want it to. :D
Wested: Yeah... half price, half the quality. Sorry, cheap shot. I know they're heaps better these days.
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

While I've seen many beautiful Crystal Skull jackets posted in various threads, and am especially a fan of the Nowak limited edition jackets I've viewed, a second viewing of the movie has me putting the brakes on a purchase at this time. Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the many who loved the movie. The thing is I didn't love the jacket. It seemed to me to lack the drape and character of any of the first three film jackets. Some scenes were more "jacket friendly" than others, (the scene where Indy and Mutt arrive in South America :tup: ) but overall I'm not sold.

At least not yet!

(Feel free to remind me of this in the future when I post pictures of my new KotCS jacket and especially when I complain about missing out on the Nowak)
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Tron7960 wrote:While I've seen many beautiful Crystal Skull jackets posted in various threads, and am especially a fan of the Nowak limited edition jackets I've viewed, a second viewing of the movie has me putting the brakes on a purchase at this time. Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the many who loved the movie. The thing is I didn't love the jacket. It seemed to me to lack the drape and character of any of the first three film jackets. Some scenes were more "jacket friendly" than others, (the scene where Indy and Mutt arrive in South America :tup: ) but overall I'm not sold.

At least not yet!

(Feel free to remind me of this in the future when I post pictures of my new KotCS jacket and especially when I complain about missing out on the Nowak)

I know what you mean, Tron. Very different jacket to Raiders. However I remember seeing LC and thinking what have they done to Indy's jacket - it's so stiff and what are those silly snaps there for!?. I got to like the LC jacket very much (but hated the film). I like the new jacket from what I've seen. Haven't seen the film yet - I'm too sacred.

You see, that cool drape in Raiders is an indication of the fact that the jacket is a very soft lamb and not the real deal in terms of strength, etc.

I always wanted a cool jacket like the movie jacket but one which would wear harder. I eventually went G&B goat. Has a good almost SA drape, but is tough and well made. I'm now seriously tempted by the Nowak.
taikonaut
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by taikonaut »

That Raiders jacket still look the most convincing of all the Indy films. The lambskin while not the most durable or period authentic did lend itself to be easier to distress by the wardrobe people and it was closer to how an old battered horsehide would have looked like. Many WW2 A2 jackets are dyed dark seal brown with brownish red undertones that reveal itself when worned down that really gives the jacket character. The Raiders jacket for me seems to have an element of that which was missing in the follow up films.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

taikonaut wrote:That Raiders jacket still look the most convincing of all the Indy films. The lambskin while not the most durable or period authentic did lend itself to be easier to distress by the wardrobe people and it was closer to how an old battered horsehide would have looked like. Many WW2 A2 jackets are dyed dark seal brown with brownish red undertones that reveal itself when worned down that really gives the jacket character. The Raiders jacket for me seems to have an element of that which was missing in the follow up films.
The thing is I have a friend with a 60 year old, well worn horse hide. It does not drape like lamb. Nothing does. His HH still looks like... well the Nowak jacket, if you must ask. There is no question in my mind that the Raiders jacket always looked like it was made from soft leather and was essentially a prop jacket. Having said that, I always thought it looked fantastically cool. The fact that they were filming in the heat was the main reason they went with lamb.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

Tron7960 wrote:a second viewing of the movie has me putting the brakes on a purchase at this time. Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the many who loved the movie. The thing is I didn't love the jacket. It seemed to me to lack the drape and character of any of the first three film jackets.
Tron I agree with you 100%. I had exactly the same reaction watching the movie. :roll:
taikonaut
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by taikonaut »

CM wrote:
taikonaut wrote:That Raiders jacket still look the most convincing of all the Indy films. The lambskin while not the most durable or period authentic did lend itself to be easier to distress by the wardrobe people and it was closer to how an old battered horsehide would have looked like. Many WW2 A2 jackets are dyed dark seal brown with brownish red undertones that reveal itself when worned down that really gives the jacket character. The Raiders jacket for me seems to have an element of that which was missing in the follow up films.
The thing is I have a friend with a 60 year old, well worn horse hide. It does not drape like lamb. Nothing does. His HH still looks like... well the Nowak jacket, if you must ask. There is no question in my mind that the Raiders jacket always looked like it was made from soft leather and was essentially a prop jacket. Having said that, I always thought it looked fantastically cool. The fact that they were filming in the heat was the main reason they went with lamb.
Read carefully. I did say it was easier for the wardrobe people to distress lambskin to look like an old horsehide, not how lambskin would aged like horshide. Lambskin would not naturally age like what you see on the Raiders jacket but you can make it appear so easier than stronger hide. I dont know what your friend own but Novak's jacket did not look like horsehide one bit.

This is tyical A2 jacket from WW2 made from horsehide but of course it is not as battered as Indy's jacket.

CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

taikonaut wrote:
CM wrote:
Read carefully. I did say it was easier for the wardrobe people to distress lambskin to look like an old horsehide, not how lambskin would aged like horshide. Lambskin would not naturally age like what you see on the Raiders jacket but you can make it appear so easier than stronger hide. I dont know what your friend own but Novak's jacket did not look like horsehide one bit.

This is tyical A2 jacket from WW2 made from horsehide but of course it is not as battered as Indy's jacket.

Yeah... whatever. All I was saying was that the Raiders jacket always looked like lamb. Period. It never looked like the real deal. The Nowak jacket actually looks like something a real-life Indy would wear. I've got nothign to add. Good photos, by the way.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

And yes, I know, the Nowak isn't HH. As cowhide it still looks like the real deal. I think your reservations are more to do with your love of the first film than the real world. And why not? Indy is a fantasy, so he should wear butter soft lamb in a jacket cos he can get a new one very time it breaks.
Mattdeckard
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mattdeckard »

Too off. looked more like gear from a ride at Disneyland than what indy wears which is clothes that have been lived in. The distressing they did made it look too done in a lab. They could have studied Raiders a bit... In Raiders they did... well it was just a magnificent job at making it all look natural.

I think all the clothes looked like they were just bought throughout the whole movie. It just needed distressing and perhaps a lighter leather.

Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

well I will say that CS gave me a new hightened appreciation for my 2001 Wested pre-D Raiders cowhide. The colour/grain is VERY similar to the CS, and in one scene, you can clearly see the D-rings on the CS jacket. MY cowhide has the D rings, etc.. so other than the press studs on the stormflap, my 7 yr old Wested looks VERY much like a CS jacket - and I already have 2 in the closet!
Drhenryindianajones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Drhenryindianajones »

the novapelle is the way to go im goin to be ordering mine soon love the pics ive seen so far !!
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

CM wrote:
Tron7960 wrote:While I've seen many beautiful Crystal Skull jackets posted in various threads, and am especially a fan of the Nowak limited edition jackets I've viewed, a second viewing of the movie has me putting the brakes on a purchase at this time. Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the many who loved the movie. The thing is I didn't love the jacket. It seemed to me to lack the drape and character of any of the first three film jackets. Some scenes were more "jacket friendly" than others, (the scene where Indy and Mutt arrive in South America :tup: ) but overall I'm not sold.

At least not yet!

I know what you mean, Tron. Very different jacket to Raiders. However I remember seeing LC and thinking what have they done to Indy's jacket - it's so stiff and what are those silly snaps there for!?. I got to like the LC jacket very much (but hated the film). I like the new jacket from what I've seen. Haven't seen the film yet - I'm too sacred.

You see, that cool drape in Raiders is an indication of the fact that the jacket is a very soft lamb and not the real deal in terms of strength, etc.

I always wanted a cool jacket like the movie jacket but one which would wear harder. I eventually went G&B goat. Has a good almost SA drape, but is tough and well made. I'm now seriously tempted by the Nowak.
Ya, I love the look and fit of my Wested Lamb (Raiders special offer) but I know it's not up to serious wear. My next Indy jacket will be one of the "tougher" offerings. Have always assumed it would be G&B, but with all the new offerings that CS has inspired (with more on the way I'm sure) I've got time to decide. The Indy IV jacket may yet grow on me.
IndyK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyK »

I've loved the look of the CS jacket ever since the first PR-photos were released. I also bought one of Peter's first prototypes and what really impressed me was the look right out of the bag! No distressing needed, it looked just Cs spot on, right out of the bag...

Indy-wishes from
Indy-K
Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chewie Louie »

Mattdeckard wrote:Too off. looked more like gear from a ride at Disneyland than what indy wears which is clothes that have been lived in. The distressing they did made it look too done in a lab.

I think all the clothes looked like they were just bought throughout the whole movie. It just needed distressing and perhaps a lighter leather.
I couldn't disagree more. Everything, IMO looked great. Plus, you can't expect Indy to have the same outfit more than 20 years later.
Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chewie Louie »

IndyK wrote:I've loved the look of the CS jacket ever since the first PR-photos were released. I also bought one of Peter's first prototypes and what really impressed me was the look right out of the bag! No distressing needed, it looked just Cs spot on, right out of the bag...
The jacket looks great, but I wouldn't say spot on. The lining of the Wested looks brown and the CS jacket is black. I could be wrong, but it appears that the pocket flaps on Peter's jacket are scalloped and the stitching looks a little different. But like I said, great looking jacket. I have a Wested as well as the new Nowak and I love them both for different reasons.
BoilermakerJones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by BoilermakerJones »

Mattdeckard wrote:I think all the clothes looked like they were just bought throughout the whole movie. It just needed distressing and perhaps a lighter leather.
Perhaps that was Bernie's plan. As you can see from Indy's house, he seems more well off than he was in the previous movies. He can afford a newer jacket.

Matt
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Just saw the film. I thought it was fun but too much CGI. The costume looked great to me.
taikonaut
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by taikonaut »

CM wrote:And yes, I know, the Nowak isn't HH. As cowhide it still looks like the real deal. I think your reservations are more to do with your love of the first film than the real world. And why not? Indy is a fantasy, so he should wear butter soft lamb in a jacket cos he can get a new one very time it breaks.
Nope. Raiders wasnt my best film but the jacket looked more convincing. And I actually like the real world look especially horse hide. The lamb skin was used because it simulated horsehide when distressed by the wardrobe. There is a lot wrong with the way Indy's jacket would have aged in the real world compare to on screen particulalry in the sequals to Raiders.
taikonaut
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by taikonaut »

[quote="CM
Yeah... whatever. All I was saying was that the Raiders jacket always looked like lamb. Period. It never looked like the real deal. The Nowak jacket actually looks like something a real-life Indy would wear. I've got nothign to add. Good photos, by the way.[/quote]

How about this then?
The man is the real Richard Winters from BOB, I don't think he is wearing lambskin but look at the way the leather drapes, would you say that it has a hint of Raiders?