Optimo "Indy Brown"

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Optimo "Indy Brown"

Post by zohar »

Rundquist posted this before the great lost posts debacle, so I'm bringing it back up. Optimo has a new color coming out next month that they're calling "Indy Brown". Kevin has told me that it's supposed to be in between the Chocolate and Maple colors that they ran this past year, and a such, it may be more screen-accurate.
Is anybody around here planning on getting an Optimo in this new color?
I'm just trying to find out who will be the first to take the plunge. I have a Phantom Blue one in the works, but getting one in Indy Brown is not out of the question, as I am tickled pink with the Milan straw I just got from them yesterday, and am in the mood for more Optimos.
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

I'll be getting one of these in the Fall or maybe for Christmas. Hopefully, my Girlfriend is reading this. :wink:

P.S. Honey, I wear a size 3 7/8ths.
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

Wow, and I thought my head was small at a 6 3/4 . . .
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

I think he meant 7 3/8.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I will order one in the new color. My hat buying days are over, except that I will treat myself to one Optimo each year, depending on the colors offered. Well, they won't be completely over. If HJ starts using the original manufacturer once again, I may buy one of those. And if I like that Montecristi that should be here anyday, I may buy another one of those. And I was thinking about diversifying and trying out a couple different traditional Akubras. On second thought disregard what I said above about the hat buying days being over. A question. Can a hat wearer such as myself, ever have too many hats? Seriously. :wink: I guess that is like asking if one can have too much love, too many friends, or too much money. Of course my wife has enrolled me in some sort of 12 Step Program. She says that I will like the place. Full of coffee drinkers and smokers. The coffee if free she says. Real social place. Everyone stands up and says his or her name, and what they are. I assume I would just stand up and say, " name's Fedora and I am a retired cabinetmaker." When I asked her what the 12 steps were all about, she just says I would have to climb 12 steps to reach the front door. No problem as we live in a 2 story house, and I climb more than that each night at bedtime. Such an odd name for a social gathering of coffee drinkers and smokers. Course, I don't smoke much, just a cigar on special occassions, and I got this huge Briar pipe from Denmark that I used to puff on years ago. I might pull it out, buy some pipe tobacco and take it with me so I won't feel too out of place. My wife is such a dear. She says I won't even have to drive. She will drop me off herself tomorrow night. Man, I can't wait. I am thinking about wearing my Pecan Optimo. regards, Fedora
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

I have plans for getting one of the Indy brown Optimos. Of course I'll have a look at the samples first, but I'm willing to buy one that is a little more in direction of the pecan - which Rundquist said the new one will be.

Regards,

Marc
Cabinetman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cabinetman »

Fedora wrote:"...and I am a retired cabinetmaker."
This is great! Now I can show this to my wife. "See, Mrs. Cabinetman, all this Indy stuff, this obsessive craze...it's okay."

Thanks for coming out the woodwork, so to speak, on that one, Fedora.

Cab
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Actually the first guy in line for the new color is our very own Sergei. He ordered a Chocolate brown months ago only to be told that they were out of that color in his size. He’s paid for. He’s first :D. Cheers
Last edited by Rundquist on Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

The first 'gut' in line? :shock: I'm sure Sergei will appreciate THAT! (grins) Regards. Michaelson
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

Excellent! I can't wait for him to get it, because I know there will be many pictures of it posted here.
BTW, I should receive my Phantom Blue Indy next week :D
Cabinetman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cabinetman »

I ask as though I am ready to buy, but I am curious...

What's the turn around time on an Optimo (assume your size and color selection in stock)?

Cab
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Michaelson wrote:The first 'gut' in line? :shock: I'm sure Sergei will appreciate THAT! (grins) Regards. Michaelson
:oops: Oops. Thanks for the correction. :D
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Cabinetman wrote:I ask as though I am ready to buy, but I am curious...

What's the turn around time on an Optimo (assume your size and color selection in stock)?

Cab
They usually quote a waiting period of about two weeks for new customers. Cheers
Cabinetman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cabinetman »

thanks
Whipcrack
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Whipcrack »

Optimo’s turnaround depends on how busy they are. Remember they are in Chicago, one of the coldest cities in the U.S. Optimo is very busy from early fall through year end when all their winter orders come in. I would be surprised if you get anywhere near two week turn around then. Also when this new color comes in they will be busier filling all the new orders for it.

Just a warning, I could be wrong. Ether way they are worth the wait.

Bill Walton
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Honey, I wear a size 3 7/8ths
No, that optimo was for my cat. Oops! :oops: I meant 7 3/8ths. Can you imagine if she read this and presented me with a tiny Optimo on Christmas morning? :shock:
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

Oh, they're preparing for the onslaught of orders for the color, too. I think they have something like 3 times as many in Indy Brown than they normally order for a color.
Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

I'd wait for a look at the felt samples first before ordering.

IF I was a "screen-accurate" freak that is.

That's a big chunk of money to be laying down and possibly being disappointed later.

Don't forget that "Indy Brown" is THEIR idea of what the color is and not necessarily what the anal-retentive, obsessive-compulsive masses think it is.
schwammy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by schwammy »

Dr._J wrote:
Honey, I wear a size 3 7/8ths
No, that optimo was for my cat. Oops! :oops: I meant 7 3/8ths. Can you imagine if she read this and presented me with a tiny Optimo on Christmas morning? :shock:
LOL! That's the best laugh I've had all week. Thanks, Dr. J!
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

Good observations, Chamorro. We don't want a bunch of gear collectors upset with the folks up there because the color isn't "quite" right.
prettybigguy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by prettybigguy »

What if you walk into Optimo's shop off the street? Does anyone know if they can set you up on the spot, or do you pick your color and they ship it to you when it's ready?
PBG
Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

That all depends on how busy they are and what's in stock. I'd call them before you show up.
Illinois Troy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Illinois Troy »

What if you walk into Optimo's shop off the street? Does anyone know if they can set you up on the spot, or do you pick your color and they ship it to you when it's ready?
PBG
For a fedora, they will take your info and let you choose the color, which is cool because you can see it on other hats in the shop. After that visit they'll ship it to you, unless you live close enough that you can just walk in 8) .

Illinois
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Has there ever been a color that everybody's been satisfied with? It'll never happen. At least they're giving you your choice of two Indy-esque browns. Last year they didn't run any Indy browns. We contacted Optimo just after they had run their colors for the entire year. What we were using (Pecan & Chocolate) were from the year before's colors. That's one of the reasons that they ran out so soon. At least this year there shouldn't be any fans that are disappointed that they can't get their hats. :D
Cheers
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Optimo's new colors are in. The "Indy Brown" is the color that is very similar to their old Pecan. Chestnut is their alternative Indy color. It has some red in it. The new felts have an extra silky finish this year in part do to the nutria fur in them. They have also had some extra dark brown ribbon made for the Indy hats, which should be arriving any day. Happy hunting fellas. Cheers
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

zohar wrote:Excellent.

Are you going to get one of the new "luxury finish" hats in another color? Kevin said it's sort of a middle ground between the short hair and long hair beavers.
I sure am, in a "Davenport" style. :D
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

Cool man. I shall probably be joining you in a Park Avenue luxury. Color is yet to be decided.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I am lucky to have bought the old stock. I love the chocolate brown, and the Pecan ain't bad either. I will say it once again, these Optimo hats are very special. They are indeed the highest quality hats that I have ever owned. As far as quality, there is Optimo, and then everything else. If you are a hat wearer like me, sooner or later you will want an Optimo.Inevitable, just like death and taxes. :wink: Fedora
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Oh, we want 'em, Fedora....most of us just can't AFFORD 'em. (grins) Regards. Michaelson
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

Michaelson wrote:Oh, we want 'em, Fedora....most of us just can't AFFORD 'em. (grins) Regards. Michaelson
I hear you, Michaelson. It took me a whole year of saving $25 a week to get the two I have, and one I have coming! I guess it's better than blowing my money on something silly like food ;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Sorry. I'm at that age where I really enjoy my meals. (grins) Don't get me wrong, I'm tickled to death for EVERYONE who gets one.....I'm just among the many who DON'T have one. Keep those reports coming, though. Sounds to me like they're pulling out all the stops in supplying just about anything a body wants in colors and styles now. Regards. Michaelson
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

I had a little talk with Marlene yesterday and I asked her how she likes the new felt. Answer "Oh my God, it's................................ I can't tell how fantastic it is. The Indy brown is dead on accurate, you'll love it." When Marlene - who is used to see their fine felt every single day - is speechless, than what will we be?!

Regards,

Marc