My new gear storage

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

My new gear storage

Post by rebelgtp »

I was needing a way to keep my gear together, both my Indy stuff and my "real life" gear. In these pics things are all kind of mixed together but I'm going to separate things out a bit more here in the next week or so. I have a couple "excursions" planned for this summer and it will be nice to just grab the case and go.

The cases are old artillery 105mm ammo cases that I picked up at a local surplus store for $5 a pop. I'm thinking of taking the best one and sanding it down then finishing it.

In this picture I have
2 Whips
US Wings Jacket
2 Mk VIIs
1911 in holster with belt
German alpine pack
Flash light
Pick
Roll of small tools
Radios
GPS and Compass
Journal
trowel
Binoculars
Gloves
Watch
Cleaning Brush
various of little things that are still in the Mk's

What do you guys think?

Image[/img]
Darth Indiana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Darth Indiana »

don't sand it; it's already naturally distressed. you just need to stencil "property of (insert name)" on the side.
GoldenHistorian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by GoldenHistorian »

that is sooo nice and cheap to i wish i had one,
maybe you could stencil a german eagle on it instead and make it like the german ammo boxes indy hides behid to search for something to blow the ark up.
or the red crates in the back of the marion decoy truck.
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

Giben wrote:that is sooo nice and cheap to i wish i had one,
Yeah they are very cheap, you couldn't even buy the hardware or wood for the cost of one. Funny thing is the day I picked it up I went to go meet my mom for lunch and she saw it in the back and said "oh that would make a nice flower box" :lol:

So as part of her mothers day stuff I went back to the surplus store to buy more of them. You can buy one for $5 or get five for $20, so I picked up another five of them :lol:
morganswift

Post by morganswift »

Very cool 8)

Spot of varnish should keep the elements out. Then bung in a couple of sandwiches and a thermos and you're good to go!

Cheers
Alex
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

Very cool!

I did something similar with an old crate I found. I turned it into a gear closet.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2108/244 ... 1210562908
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3227/244 ... ca.jpg?v=0

And I also think you should NOT sand it down.
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

I have multiples of these crates (and can easily get more) I'll more then likely clean up one that I keep at home then keep the one for in the truck in the rough :lol: .

The place that I got these at gets them by the pile :lol:
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Very cool. I'm going to stop by a local Army Surplus store and see if I can pick up something similar.

Dave
gmarthe
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by gmarthe »

A nice find. At least your Army Navy store actually carry "surplus" items. Mine only carries all new iems in military style. The only good Army Navy went out of business years ago.
Andymac84
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Andymac84 »

That's awesome man. Really cool. I was thinking to get a box like this, it was even a bit taller--like a treasure case :wink:
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

gmarthe wrote:A nice find. At least your Army Navy store actually carry "surplus" items. Mine only carries all new iems in military style. The only good Army Navy went out of business years ago.
There are actually two surplus stores I know about in the Miami area, one in Homestead and one in Hialeah. Coincidentally, I've never been to either, though I have heard from a friend that the one in Hialeah is much better. The only thing stoping me is entering the dreaded city of Hialeah!

Dave
mufflowne
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mufflowne »

That's heinie! Tron, post more pics of your room! It's really busy!
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

mufflowne wrote:That's heinie! Tron, post more pics of your room! It's really busy!
Thanks. Maybe I'll find a more appropriate place to post more pics of the room (Lao Che's Table?) so as not to hijack rebelgtp's thread.
morganswift

Post by morganswift »

Turns out Tron lives in the Lucasfilm archives - who knew? :wink:

Cheers
Alex
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

gmarthe wrote:A nice find. At least your Army Navy store actually carry "surplus" items. Mine only carries all new iems in military style. The only good Army Navy went out of business years ago.
yep its rather nice its a small little place, loads of odds and ends, can buy used and new bdu's, bags, tons of off the wall stuff (including stainless surgical stuff :shock: ). They also have GI boots for get this $25 a pair! Sadly they never seem to have my size.
gmarthe
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by gmarthe »

DR Ulloa wrote:
There are actually two surplus stores I know about in the Miami area, one in Homestead and one in Hialeah. Coincidentally, I've never been to either, though I have heard from a friend that the one in Hialeah is much better. The only thing stoping me is entering the dreaded city of Hialeah!

Dave

Thanks for the tip. I'm in Broward so I didn't know about those 2. I would figure the one in Homestead would have great stuff since the Air force base is there. Don't be scared of Hialeah (okay maybe be a little scared) :wink: