Pecards on the lining...

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

Indydawg

Pecards on the lining...

Post by Indydawg »

Here's one that I don't believe has been touched on.

No matter how careful I am when I'm applying Pecards to my jackets, I always end up getting some of the product on the lining of my jacket.

Is there any way to get that stuff out or are you just stuck with it?

Later!
Indydawg
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Try a little 'Dawn' dishwashing detergent in water and hand wash the area. Pecards, being oil based, will be pulled out by the Dawn. It may help on the wax too. Why are you putting Pecards inside your jacket storm flap? Just curious. Regards. Michaelson
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Michaelson wrote:Why are you putting Pecards inside your jacket storm flap? Just curious.
Should you not? I thought you need to treat all the leather areas.

Mike
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Your call. I don't. Leather dressing is made to help preserve and weatherproof leather exposed to the elements. The inside of the jackets are never exposed to those elements, and if you think about it, are never exposed to that much light either. I've found that on jackets I've owned for over 20 years, though the outside shows the normal aging process, the inside looks like the day I bought them. I also never apply it as I'm not wanting to chance transfer of product to my shirt or sweater. But there's nothing wrong with doing it....I was just wondering WHY it was being done. Regards. Michaelson
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Well that's good to know, thanks. I always just assumed (I know, I know the old saying...) that you just treat wherever there's leather. But good point about the transfer on clothes. Luckily, I've never had an issue with that yet.

Mike
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I wouldn't be to concerned if using the Leather Lotion, but the standard oil based dressing with wax is what can transfer and make the 'mess' that our buddy IndyDawg was asking about. Regards. Michaelson
Indydawg

Well, actually...

Post by Indydawg »

This occured around the inside of the neck on my A2 which does not have a leather collar stand....but I've had it happen before on my Indy jackets from treating the inside of the storm flap and collar/collar stand area. Also, on my distressed jackets I've owned, I do apply it to the leather on the inside because I'm just that anal....I've even applied it to the leather bound inside pocket!

But thanks for the tip, Michaelson! It worked like a charm! Took off part of the AAF stamp that the little "oops" fell right in the middle of (just my luck.... :roll: ), but it sure took the stuff off. And for the record, it was the oil based jell I was working with...not the leather lotion. That stuff is nothing to worry about on the lining if it just gets a little there.

Thanks!
Indydawg
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Ah, good. I'm not sure how well it would pull the wax of the standard dressing out, but it probably would do a fairly good job. Glad it worked! Regards. Michaelson
Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

In a dry climate, wouldn't the inside leathers dry out too?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Wouldn't know. It sure ain't dry over here! (grins) Regards. Michaelson
Indydawg

LOL...you got that right!!

Post by Indydawg »

Hot and wet....that's nice if you're with a lady, but it's bad if you're in the jungle.....or the South in June, July, or August.

Later!
Indydawg
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

...or September, or sometimes October.... :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Indydawg

LOL!!!

Post by Indydawg »

Yep....and even into November and December, for that matter!!!

I remember one Christmas not too long ago that I wore shorts and a T-shirt to Christmas dinner at my aunt and uncle's house....it was 80 degrees outside with a low at just under 70....

Caraaaaazy weather we have down here.
Later!
Indydawg
PropReplicator
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by PropReplicator »

For getting the wax part of the Pecards out, I heard of a little trick a long time ago. You can use an iron set on a low temperature, lay a couple of layers of newspaper over the wax-impregnated cloth, and iron on the newspaper over the wax area. The heat will soften up the wax and the newspaper will soak it up and out of the cloth. I hear that works really well.

The main thing to remember is to NOT get the iron too hot, especially if you have a man-made fiber for your lining as it will melt or scortch it.