The CS jacket sleeves are too long.

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

The CS jacket sleeves are too long.

Post by Rundquist »

Anyone else think that they got the sleeves too long on the CS jacket? I’ve been paying attention lately to sleeve length (especially since I had to fix one of my jackets because the sleeves were too short for me). Those sleeves look sloppy. Now they’ve gone and done it. Indy looks like a bum. :shock:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well, Abner thought he was a GIFTED bum, according to Marian, so maybe there's a method to the madness. :-k :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

too long for a jacket.....definitely not. too long for an indy jacket.....i would have to say yes.

but then again my fashion taste is from the 30's, not the 50's :wink:
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Indiana G wrote:too long for a jacket.....definitely not. too long for an indy jacket.....i would have to say yes.

Cuffs down to your knuckles was acceptable in the 30's?
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Michaelson wrote:Well, Abner thought he was a GIFTED bum, according to Marian, so maybe there's a method to the madness. :-k :lol:

Regards! Michaelson

:whip:
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Rundquist wrote:
Indiana G wrote:too long for a jacket.....definitely not. too long for an indy jacket.....i would have to say yes.

Cuffs down to your knuckles was acceptable in the 30's?
i'm saying shorter cuffs were (according to the IJ trilogy) acceptable in the 30's. longer cuffs were more suited for the 50's (according to the IJ quadrology).

pure speculation of course as the only way to confirm is if we could talk to someone that has spanned that era........michaelson??? {ducks under the plymouth} :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana G wrote: pure speculation of course as the only way to confirm is if we could talk to someone that has spanned that era........michaelson??? {ducks under the plymouth} :lol:
[-X :lol:

Actually, we DID wear stuff a LOT longer when I was growing up, and I remember my Dad's overcoats and jackets were always oversized, as they were sized to fit over heavier clothing and suits, so his cuffs always fell where Indy's do in the photos I've seen in Indy IV. In my case, I've not raised any eyebrows on that based on my personal memories of the men in my family in Southern Ohio in the 50's and early 60's....but once again, others experiences may vary.

Regards! Michaelson
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

Well you can't argue it's not SA.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Sure you can! [-X .......but you'd be wrong! :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Aeris_Canon wrote:How can the CS jacket sleeves be too long? They're pretty accurate to the film's version. Isn't that kind of like saying the KOTCS hat is too tall? It's pretty accurate to the KOTCS hat.

Yeah, the sleeves do look a bit long, though. Not horrendous, but almost as if they'd expected the leather to react a certain way and it didn't. Usually the problem with the Indy vendor jackets is that the sleeves are often a bit short and could stand to be longer.

But, for the KOTCS jacket, they're pretty accurate.
My point is that they don't look good. They could have dressed Indy up in a "Bozo the Clown" costume if they wanted and it would be (here's that stupid phrase) "screen accurate". But he would still look like a clown. :(
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

And some would debate the correct shade of his red nose.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I think the sleeves might be intentionally longer for the purpose of action scenes. We all know how goofy-looking it is when you reach up or stretch, and the jacket sleeve pulls back, exposing half of your forearms. Maybe the filmmakers wanted Indy to look cool if he is hanging from something- and not like his jacket is too small. So that's my take on the issue.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

I actually love my jacket sleeves that long. -Just a quirk I have, and now it seems, so does Indy!
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

Aeris_Canon wrote:How can the CS jacket sleeves be too long? They're pretty accurate to the film's version. Isn't that kind of like saying the KOTCS hat is too tall? It's pretty accurate to the KOTCS hat.

Yeah, the sleeves do look a bit long, though. Not horrendous, but almost as if they'd expected the leather to react a certain way and it didn't. Usually the problem with the Indy vendor jackets is that the sleeves are often a bit short and could stand to be longer.

But, for the KOTCS jacket, they're pretty accurate.
Right on! This is one of the reasons I've decided to no longer pursue the "Gear" part of this hobby. I don't want to be "that fan". Does it work? Does it feel OK? Is it durable? Those are the questions I ask these days.
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

Which of the 50 jackets made for the film are the pics of? Will we all be arguing in years to come that the sleeves are too short?
Arca Perdida
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Arca Perdida »

whipwarrior wrote:We all know how goofy-looking it is when you reach up or stretch, and the jacket sleeve pulls back, exposing half of your forearms. Maybe the filmmakers wanted Indy to look cool if he is hanging from something- and not like his jacket is too small.
I agree. I can't stand driving and having my sleeves ride up. I'd rather have them a bit too long with my arms down and be able to tie my shoes or reach up for something without exposing half of my arms.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Ditto here. That gets pretty annoying. You feel a bit cooler when your arm is properly covered in leather whilst driving.
Jinxed1
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Jinxed1 »

I agree, there is nothing more annoying than your sleeves riding up.
It is the nature of this jacket. I had thought about exchanging my
large Limited Edition US Wings jacket for a medium. After wearing it
however I know I would not be happy with one that had shorter sleeves.
When I start moving, or even sitting the sleeves pull back to my wrist.

That is probably the reason they went longer in KOTCS. If you look at some
of the action scenes in the first 3 movies you can see indy's sleeves half way up his forearm.
manu7
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by manu7 »

i agree longer sleeves feel right except when your arms are hanging at your sides like a pair of salami's. i thought my sleeves were too long on my kotcs jacket but got use to it real quick and dont mind it. especially after seeing how long they are in the pics of harrison
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

While we're on the subject of the CS jacket, I think it looks quite a bit longer in the body than previous Indy jackets. Look at the two-page gear shot in the Ultimate Guide. It looks like his jacket falls about 6 inches below his waist, whereas it's more like 4 in the earlier jackets. That or, true to form, old people wear their pants like they're expecting a flood. ;-)
Jinxed1
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Jinxed1 »

My L.E. US Wings jacket is 2" longer in the body than my Raiders Wested
and 1" longer than my TOD Wested and Cooper LC jacket.
My Wested jackets feel Like tailored suit jackets and match the fit
of the first 3 movies.
My US Wings jacket, from what I see in all the pictures, is a dead on match
of the new KOTCS jacket. Longer body and longer sleeves with much more
girth to them.

It feels bigger than my Westeds but everyone I ask says it fits perfect.
Go figure!
zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by zeus36 »

Maybe they made the sleeves longer to show Indy is older?

Same way they have actors playing older people wear bigger shirts with looser collars and higher waisted pants.
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

Or maybe they forgot to take the sleeves back one kadam to honor the Hebrew god whose CS jacket this is?
St. Dumas
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by St. Dumas »

afrayedknot wrote:Or maybe they forgot to take the sleeves back one kadam to honor the Hebrew god whose CS jacket this is?
Oh yes! That's that I call "bringin' it".

SD
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

I think that the sleeve length would have been a lot better if the same jacket was made from a non-prewashed hide.

When you take a brand new jacket with some type of finish on the surface, it will eventually form wrinkles around the elbow area and create that famous ‘ride-up’ on the sleeves that causes some of us to order our jackets with 1/2 – 1” longer sleeves to compensate.

When you really distress a jacket by washing it, sandblasting it, etc. – it gets so soft that it will not hold those wrinkles. The sleeves then lose that characteristically cool look of a well-worn jacket and instead take on an ill-fitting, force-distressed, mall store broken in-looking jacket kind of look.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

rick5150 wrote: When you really distress a jacket by washing it, sandblasting it, etc. – it gets so soft that it will not hold those wrinkles. The sleeves then lose that characteristically cool look of a well-worn jacket and instead take on an ill-fitting, force-distressed, mall store broken in-looking jacket kind of look.
...tell us howyou really feel! :D
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yeah, that's always bothered me about old rick. He always beats around the bush when it comes to telling you what he really thinks! :roll:

:lol: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

Hahaha ...hey, wait! Old? =; :lol:

As you know, I am an advocate of taking a brand spanking new leather jacket and dumping it into the washing machine to help break it in. There are a few things I do first, but the jackets never get that 'blah' look to them like the prewashed CS jackets seem to have. The industrial leather prewash seems to be a lot more injurious to the leather than a standard washing machine.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

rick5150 wrote:Hahaha ...hey, wait! Old? =; :lol:

Man, it TOOK you long enough to spot that one!!! :rolling:

Regard! Michaelson
WebleyMKV
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by WebleyMKV »

I agree with zeus36 on this one. I think that every costume detail in this has been more carefully thought out than in the previous movies (as is evidenced by the costumer's take on the hat and why he ended up going with an AB. They are paying attention to detail a lot more. I can speak for my own experience watching my dad get older. I don't know if anyone has noticed this but old men don't tend to buy too many new clothes. They usually just put a new hole in the belt (either direction), wear the same clothes whether they shrink or expand in their old age. Someone fit like Indy would naturally shrink a bit around the waist as he loses muscle tone, making pants have to go up a bit, a trusty leather jacket hang on him a bit, etc. I think that they've paid attention to this detail in costuming him. Why wouldn't they? They are not, afterall, trying to show him look younger, just look his age. Boy, those longer hanging sleeves do show in the new trailer, don't they? But I think Ford only looks a little more grisly and ticked off in this one...I wouldn't mess with him. It has once been said that "Age and tyranny will always overcome youth and skill."

BTW, I have a theory that as we guys get older, we have to make a decision, conscious or not, whether our pants will go up around our belly or go down underneath the overhang...beer belly exposed or Fred Mertz style (from I Love Lucy for those too young to know who Fred Mertz is).
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

WebleyMKV wrote: BTW, I have a theory that as we guys get older, we have to make a decision, conscious or not, whether our pants will go up around our belly or go down underneath the overhang...beer belly exposed or Fred Mertz style (from I Love Lucy for those too young to know who Fred Mertz is).
Well said Plato.
Arca Perdida
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Arca Perdida »

WebleyMKV wrote:...old men don't tend to buy too many new clothes. They usually just put a new hole in the belt (either direction), wear the same clothes whether they shrink or expand in their old age. ...I think that they've paid attention to this detail in costuming him. Why wouldn't they? They are not, afterall, trying to show him look younger, just look his age.
I agree with the real life observation, but I think as far as Indy goes, that's reading too much into it. While they're not trying to make him look younger by dying his hair, and such, I don't think they're going out of their way to make him dress like an old man either.
I really think the changes were for practical purposes (comfort, less constricting than the tighter fit, etc.). Plus, it's a different costumer. Things are naturally going to look slightly different. I wonder how many retakes they did in Raiders because at some point the sleeves rode up beyond goofy. Who knows?
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

Your darn right they are too long! and the Raiders are too short! oops but since they appear in the movies I guess they are screen accurate! It just depends on what you're looking for in a jacket. :lol: :?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

That's true, bigrex. This is Indygear.com, not GQ.com. :lol:

Regard! Michaelson