A whip WILL hold the weight of an adult!

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

A whip WILL hold the weight of an adult!

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

First off, my whip is nylon, so I don't know if that makes a difference. ...and it took many tries to get the wrap to hold, but, man, it actually held and I pulled myself up a steep incline (about 45 degress) without damage to the whip nor to myself from the wrap failing.

Note the look of surprise on my face.

I dunno about swinging on it though. Seems to me that'd be putting a LOT more stress on the whip than just climbing it steady.
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mississippi Jones »

:shock: :-k :-s
Shtick
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shtick »

To be fair, the whip isn't supporting your full weight. There is considerable strain on it, but it's not the same as if you were suspended from it.

Still, handy to have in such an event! I'd hate to see you tumble backwards into the water. Although, you do appear to enjoy soaking your gear... ;)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I'm sure there's a significant difference using nylon over a leather whip. Either way, I wouldn't do it with MY whip, nor would I recommend it at all! Unless, I'm borrowing Sable's whip, anyhow. :wink:
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

I fully expected to roll back into the river. That it held at all is amazing to me.

And of course I don't recommend doing this yourself (unless you're using Bink's whip). I just wanted to see if it'd work.
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

very cool pic :lol:

yeah the nylon whips actually should be MUCH stronger than even a roo whip. the nylon resists abrasion better and can take much more force to break an equal sized strand.
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mississippi Jones »

:lol:
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Did you get one of those new 'emoticon only' keyboards, Mississippi, or do you just have a cold today?

;)
Shtick
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shtick »

Besides, you said the whip would support the weight of an adult... You offered no evidence of that. :twisted:
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Grey hair ain't enough evidence?

Just because you're an adult, you don't have to behave as one.
Shtick
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shtick »

Snakewhip_Sable wrote:Grey hair ain't enough evidence?
Right there with ya, brother!
rjallen70
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rjallen70 »

paracord IS stronger than leather...550-650 lb test per strand. (uncored).
I just did a small experiment with a single strand of de-cored paracord. It easily supported my 150lb weight, jumping and stomping up and down on it for over a minute. I tried my best to snap it.
I tied it to my exercise machine and tied a loop in the end like a stirrup and went at it. It tightend so tightly on my shoe it had to be cut off.
Ron
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

I do a bit of field work in remote areas. A whip could come in handy in some emergencies - like climbing up a steep incline, or (more likely in my case) scaring away a scrub bull.

But I've never carried one on my belt on the job. I might see if I can carry one in a field bag next time I'm miles from anywhere.

When my dad was in his 20's he was out hunting with my mum (or mom) and other friends in long grassy country. A "very big" venomous snake attacked them, struck wildly at one of the women and left a mark on her leg but didn't manage to bite her. It didn't stop at that but came back again. Dad shot the snake when it stopped and stood up in the grass. Mum confirmed this potentially tall sounding recollection to me. I often think a whip would have been a more useful defence, though in this case the bullet found its mark. Anyway, I use this snakey event as a justification for thinking about carrying a whip out in the bush on long walks.
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

I'm not buying it. You're on a level surface and the pic is just tilted. I KNOW a whip will hold a persons weight because I used to swing from branches with my cheapo.
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

JMObi wrote:I do a bit of field work in remote areas. A whip could come in handy in some emergencies - like climbing up a steep incline, or (more likely in my case) scaring away a scrub bull.

But I've never carried one on my belt on the job. I might see if I can carry one in a field bag next time I'm miles from anywhere.

When my dad was in his 20's he was out hunting with my mum (or mom) and other friends in long grassy country. A "very big" venomous snake attacked them, struck wildly at one of the women and left a mark on her leg but didn't manage to bite her. It didn't stop at that but came back again. Dad shot the snake when it stopped and stood up in the grass. Mum confirmed this potentially tall sounding recollection to me. I often think a whip would have been a more useful defence, though in this case the bullet found its mark. Anyway, I use this snakey event as a justification for thinking about carrying a whip out in the bush on long walks.
When I was a kid I would carry a whip with me on hikes and use it in such ways (swung with it too), those were fun times.

Yep I agree with you about the usefulness of a whip in such circumstances. I remember hearing stories of the old coach drivers being able to use their whips to wrap, fling and cut snakes and lizards that they came across. Actually in the Indiana Jones novel "The White Witch" Indy uses his whip to cut down a cotton mouth I do believe.
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

Do you think snakewhip is pulling our respective legs, Vegeta :-) Maybe you're right and he's about to start laughing at us. I do think it's possible, as you and rebelgtp point out.

rebelgtp, in my days as a jackaroo (trainee stockman/manager) I saw the ringers kill a few snakes. The year I was in the northern territory they had just had their best wet season for years, and their were many young brown snakes (brown snakes....very dangerous.....you go first!) only 3 feet long on the station. One electrician in at the station nearly got bittenin the face when he opened a fuse box. The year before, another guy had one in his swag (bed roll). The guys would routinely kill them from horseback with a few stockwhip cracks to the middle of the snake. Don't know if some conservationists would like this.
Last edited by JMObi on Thu May 01, 2008 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

JMObi wrote:Don't know if some conservationists would like this.
You know its REALLY funny you should say that considering I actually do conservation work :lol: .
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

Whoops! Remember, i didn't do it!! :-)

All the best to you in your important work!

Actually, in fairness to my ringer cobbers of old, there were tons of those common browns (I think that's what they were) around, and maybe they were redressing the ecological balance. Probably concerned for calves getting bitten, as well as people. The real plague up that way now, but not when I was there, is cane toads. These imported suckers kill the snakes when they eat them. They are on the march toward the territory, from the east.

Anyway, back to the topic I guess....
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

JMObi wrote:Whoops! Remember, i didn't do it!! :-)

All the best to you in your important work!

Actually, in fairness to my ringer cobbers of old, there were tons of those common browns (I think that's what they were) around, and maybe they were redressing the ecological balance. Probably concerned for calves getting bitten, as well as people. The real plague up that way now, but not when I was there, is cane toads. These imported suckers kill the snakes when they eat them. They are on the march toward the territory, from the east.

Anyway, back to the topic I guess....
No worries I'm not fanatical about it or anything, but it os one of those jobs that is both fun and important :wink: .

Actually personally I have no problem with dispatching something that is 1) common to the are (not endangered or close to it) and 2) is an immediate threat or is causing damage. Now while I prefer removal and relocation I know sometimes that just isn't an option.

Also out where I live Western Rattlesnakes are all to common (can range from 3-4 feet in length).
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

The brown snake is the deadliest snake in the world if I remember correctly.
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

Yes, from what i've heard this is true. Even more deadly than the Tiger snake and the Taipan but I'm not sure. I was speaking with my dad last night (its day here now) and he said the snake that attacked his group was 6'6". They lifted it up (both pieces) and measured it. I also checked the details with him and he confirmed it, except to say the grass was actually short, in rolling lightly timbered sheep country. The rifle was a .25/.303 (a necked down .303). The snake was an Eastern brown I think he called it and these are known for occasional aggression maybe due to mating. He said the snake actually came rushing at them from 50 yards away. They were 10 miles from help, on foot. After swiping at the woman friend and then also himself it went off about 10 yards off and stood right up off the ground briefly. I asked him if this well aimed shot is why mum (mom) married him and he said maybe, he wasn't sure. Might have increased his standing in her eyes.

I hope Snakewhip_Sable doesn't mind his thread getting taken over by my Aussie snake posts. Aussies love regaling others with their various snake encounters, so do forgive me.

Back to the scheduled programming.
Last edited by JMObi on Fri May 02, 2008 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

Here is me as a stupid kid.....I found this 6ft eastern diamondback rattle snake about 2 miles from my house :D I regret that it "comitted sucide". I have 2 pet snakes and would never kill another one. I love em.

JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

Wowwww!!! That's a big rattlesnake. You definitely have me impressed. Alas I have no photos to show..unless I scan them first (which I'm no good at).

I think maybe it's official now: this thread is laid open to any and all talk of snakes, snake attacks, swinging with whips, climbing with whips, bullwhipcracking at wild scrub bulls, the time you nearly got snapped by a vicious dog.....and maybe having a whip with you would have been a good thing...let's hear it here. I for one am interested to read it.

I can't get over the size of that snake you are holding!
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

My dad had to shoot a black mamba once while he was riding around in the back of a truck in South Africa (where he comes from). He was sitting in the truck with some of the local blacks, who were sort of like the Sapito / Barranca guides, I guess (see? I'm on topic!) and he and his brother got out of the truck, and were carrying some small shotguns, when all of a sudden this black mamba came at them. My dad shot it, and the local guys were terrified to keep it in the truck with them lest it come back from the dead and kill them all. :lol: But they took it and, being the resourceful, nature appreciating people they are, they skinned and ate it, I believe.

EDIT: By the way, I have also used a whip like Sable has, but it was a very beaten up $20 whip my neighbor picked up for me in Mexico. I was hiking and pretending to be this guy called Indiana Smith or something and while climbing up a hill, I threw the whip handle up into a tree and climbed up on it. However, I probably only weighed like 50 pounds. :lol:

Shane
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

JMObi wrote:Do you think snakewhip is pulling our respective legs, Vegeta :-) Maybe you're right and he's about to start laughing at us. I do think it's possible, as you and rebelgtp point out.
No, no, I swear it's the real deal. I'm not 'pulling a McFly' as it were. If the shot were taken from the side you'd see that incline is about 45 degrees and I'm perpendicular to it - for that matter if it were zoomed in more you'd see the very nervous look on my face because I really thought it'd come loose or the fall would break and I'd put a bit too much distressing on my jacket and skin.

Maybe I'll go back on the weekend and recreate it with video from a level angle.

Here's the root I lashed the whip onto.

And here's a different angle with the tree root in the background, right side. The path going up toward it is very steep.
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

Yeah....It was a beautiful snake.......I regret killing it every time I look at the pics...I love, and respect animals (I'm a hunter too, but I eat everything I take) and the fact that this monster snake that had to be well over 10 yrs old, died for no real good reason, still bothers me. If I could go back...I'd catch em and relocate him. He was caught in a business complex that have woods near by.
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

I had 2 pet carpet pythons. These are great pets. The poor lady in the pet shop near me used to think I was a setting up a pet mouse collection. I didn't have the heart to tell her. I'm not much of a hunter myself, though I agree that hunting for food is logical and in a way honest, since going to the supermarket to buy meat is no different.

Snakewhip_Sable, thanks for the pics. I will have to get organized soon and start posting some pics of my del Carpio or Morgan. I actually have an old print (110 instamatic Kodak) of a 'whip practice' with the guys when I was a jackaroo. I'll see if I can drag it out of a back drawer somewhere and get someone to scan it for me.

Now, no more talk of snakes......we'll be frightening Indy. Back to how to climb using a whip.
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

Snakewhip_Sable wrote: Climbing aid? Please explain or perhaps respond to that here: viewtopic.php?t=28847
Nothing fancy, Sable. I've used a whip on numerous occasions to climb up ledges and embankments. I've only used a whip a few times to climb down. This is due to the fact that unlike Indy a whip is darn hard to unravel when it has had a lot of weight put on it at the wrap point. So if I am going up I can then unwrap it by hand when I get there. I've used a whip to steady myself in a descent by wrapping the middle of the whip around a root and then gripping the fall against the handle creating a large loop.

I've never swung on a whip so in that regard it has never held my full body weight multiplied by inertia.

How I wrap and anchor point from a distance is pretty self-explanitory. A light throw, crack and wrap. Accept it sometimes takes a couple tries (or five) to get the thong to hold fast.
:wink:
—Kyle
crazylegsmurphy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by crazylegsmurphy »

If there is one thing I know, Snakewhip wouldn't pull a fake!
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

crazylegsmurphy wrote:If there is one thing I know, Snakewhip wouldn't pull a fake!
I'm a poor liar. I usually suffix any lie with, "No. That's a lie."
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

I went back and did it again.

I will say, it doesn't look like much, but I was leaning back and supported by the whip - had it given way, I'd definately have fallen back and rolled into the river.

The incline feels a LOT steeper than it looks on camera. It's not terribly difficult to walk up the incline, but it's a lot easier to climb up the whip.

That's all I gotta say about it. That NYLON whip did support substantial weight and one should never EVER do that with a leather whip, especially wnything that's expensive or dear to you.

The one thing edited out was the previous nine times the wrap didn't catch - that would've been very tedious for you to watch and even more tedious to upload.
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

wow.

That picture seriously makes it look a LOT steeper. :lol:
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

Anyone else notice that *almost* face of Anubis in the tangled roots of that tree? I can see the eyes and the gaping mouth. Rather photogenic!
stealthboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by stealthboy »

As a kid I used to swing on my whip all the time in a huge willow tree in my backyard. I got really good at whipping it around a branch, getting it to hold, swinging, and then being able to get the whip off the branch... it's actually possible! ;) The trick is to get it to wrap cleanly from one side to the other (two or three passes around), then you flick your wrist over to the side it wrapped towards, which will cause the thong to overlap the part that wrapped, so as you put weight on it, it just tightens the wrap. Then, once you swing, you flick it over the other side, which basically just removes the thong from on top the part it was cinching down.

Don't know if that makes sense, but it worked for me all the time. Now, granted, I weighed a lot less back then and only used a whip that was destined for abuse... ;) It was a cheapo swivel-handle bullwhip, but it was enough for playing Indy.
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

Check out the tree-hanging picture here

http://cgi.ebay.com/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI ... 0056431015

(Scroll down a bit. How do you put pictures right in a post anyway??)
Indywanabe91
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indywanabe91 »

has anyone posted a video of themselves or anyone trying to swing?