The Wested

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Mal
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

The Wested

Post by Mal »

After placing an order in December, enduring credit card problems, and receiving a jacket that wasn't up to par with my expectations, 4 months later Peter and Gemma have truly graced me with a beautiful replacement jacket.

Made from PLATON's TOD specs and cut from Novapelle (thanks for the recommendation KT), the jacket seems just a touch big on me but I am otherwise entirely satisfied with all other aspects.

For my first and hopefully last Indy jacket, I couldn't be happier - save for the fit, which will probably shrink after some exposure to harsh rain, etc.

The only question I have now is do y'all think it needs a coat of Peccards or should I just ride it out and let some natural distressing occur?

Jonny Whip Crack
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Jonny Whip Crack »

Hi Mal. Nice jacket. I've got the same one in a LC style, a size 46 when I'm normally a 44. I got the bigger size due to the thicker hide, which in my opinion makes the jacket feel tighter. The first thing I did was pecard the jacket (1 hour worth of work), then hung up overnight. The next day I wiped off any excess pecards. I love the look. It definately gives it a darker tone, but still shows the distressed look. Also, it makes the jacket less stiff, allowing better movement. I love the look. I'd post pictures, however I have no idea how to.
Enjoy your new jacket.
Jonny
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

great jacket man!congrats!

Eric
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Good fit- SMALL pockets!!! :shock:
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

Doesn't look too big from the pics, it looks good.
St. Dumas
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by St. Dumas »

How's that too big?

SD
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

whipwarrior wrote:Good fit- SMALL pockets!!! :shock:
Did they reduce the pockets but keep the flaps closer to their standard size?
Custom79
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Don't Change a Thing

Post by Custom79 »

Mal.

I am presently considering a Wested Indy jacket. I have just looked at the pictures you posted and, in my opinion, your new purchase fits perfectly.

I sincerely hope that, if I pick up a Wested, it looks as good as yours does.

Regards.

C79
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

Mal, that wested is a keeper. :tup: Great looking jacket. Everytime I see a Novapelle, man I just can't get over how great it looks. Great TOD jacket, nice to see a different style jacket around here on COW. Good for comparison. I have to get me one of these Novapelle jackets, they are just awesome looking. I can't believe though it took four months to get your jacket right. Looks great, fits well on you Mal. I returned my jacket last month to wested and still no replacement yet. USPS does not even know if it even was delivered, has got me concerned. :-k I tried e-mailing Peter, no response. They are just swamped over there at Wested. Well I will just see what happens. Great looking jacket again Mal, that's it, my next jacket is an LC with Novapelle. I am hooked. :D :wink:

IndianaChris
Mal
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Mal »

Thank you Indianachris, Custom79, Tron, Eric, and Whip Crack for the compliments.

Whipwarrior and bigrex, I actually prefer the small pockets and as I remember PLATON was curious to see how his measurements came out. Even Peter called me up at 7 AM and asked if I was certain of the pocket size.

St. Dumas, it's supposed to be an 80's fit, so I was expecting something a little 'snug' that would hug my frame a little more. Other than that it fits fairly well.
Rom Hunter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Rom Hunter »

Mal wrote:Whipwarrior and bigrex, I actually prefer the small pockets and as I remember PLATON was curious to see how his measurements came out. Even Peter called me up at 7 AM and asked if I was certain of the pocket size.
I can fully understand that.

These are the smallest pockets I've ever seen on an Indy jacket.

Nice jacket though.

8)
Ozraptor
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Ozraptor »

Have a look at the TOD jacket. It has tiny pockets compared to the other jackets! I think this is pretty screen accurate. Only slight difference compared to the Noel Howard TOD jacket is the pocket placement—slightly higher on yours; otherwise very very similar! I want one.

You should use water treatment to pull out the collar so that the points sit way out on the shoulders and pull the right side zip over. And wear it hanging right off your shoulders!

Actually, it's funny, but the pocket flaps on the original differed on each side! The left pocket (from the wearers' point of view) was more angular with less scallop. Dodgy Coopers workmanship...

What is the lining? The original was nasty synthetic material, as you can see in several scenes. I'm sure it would have been exceedingly uncomfortable in the heat!

I'll stop obsessing now.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

At last, a Wested TOD jacket!!
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

That novapelle is really a nice looking hide and the jacket looks like quite a good fit...
but those pockets!! I don't care if they're screen accurate (which I doubt in fact) - they look ridiculous to me. What on earth can you use them for??

I can understand people wanting "screen accuracy" - I do too , to an extent. But not when it's at the expense of funtion. I personally prefer my unpopular, screen inaccurate large Wested pockets because I use them for stuff. Gloves, keys, wallet, a paperback..

Each to their own though. As you only expressed doublts about the fit - I think it looks perfectly fine on you.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

whiskyman wrote:That novapelle is really a nice looking hide and the jacket looks like quite a good fit...
but those pockets!! I don't care if they're screen accurate (which I doubt in fact) - they look ridiculous to me. What on earth can you use them for??

I can understand people wanting "screen accuracy" - I do too , to an extent. But not when it's at the expense of funtion. I personally prefer my unpopular, screen inaccurate large Wested pockets because I use them for stuff. Gloves, keys, wallet, a paperback..
I like the pockets - if they're the same size as the Noel Howard pockets then they're correct.

I have a conventional Wested and I rarely use the pockets anyway. I keep keys in my pocket and carry anything I need in a bag. Don't have a cell phone so...
Labbas
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Labbas »

Very nice jacket and looks to be a perfect fit! After seeing this one and whipwarriors am I having big trouble with stoping myself from ordering a jacket in novapelle! Must... resist...

// Labbas
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

hey guys.

this is the original jacket worn in the TOD.

Holt
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Well...sort of. It is a nice attempt at one, same as USWings. If and when someone does a real TOD jacket that actually looks like the TOD jacket, then I'm in. Not my favorite film, but dare I say, the best jacket in the series.

The jacket fits you fine, my man. The sleeves will shorten up with wear.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Indiana Holt wrote:hey guys.

this is the original jacket worn in the TOD.

Holt
Yeah I'm familiar with that jacket!
True, it does have very small pockets (too small for my liking) - but to me they don't look quite as small in relation to the jacket as on Mal's jacket. Maybe that's just me.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Fits you like a glove, Nick.
but to me they don't look quite as small in relation to the jacket as on Mal's jacket
It's just the flaps are just a bit too long. Also, the one pocket is just a bit too far away from the storm flap stitch. No biggie. Still looks good.
Rom Hunter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Rom Hunter »

I see it now.

It's indeed the length of the pocket flaps that's creating the smaller look.

8)
Mal
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Mal »

All this talk about the pockets, PLATON'S gotta either be shakin' his head or laughin' his ### off.

Thanks rom, oz, CM, and labbas for the compliments.
Last edited by Mal on Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

agent5 wrote:
Well...sort of. It is a nice attempt at one, same as USWings. If and when someone does a real TOD jacket that actually looks like the TOD jacket, then I'm in. Not my favorite film, but dare I say, the best jacket in the series.

The jacket fits you fine, my man. The sleeves will shorten up with wear.
Of course, we now know that the US Wings wasn't an attempt at one - it was the one used in the TOD film... Wested has never made a TOD jacket.... until now.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Hi guys,
The pockets in my TOD specs were supposed to go with a size 40 jacket. Not a 44. It should be expected that they would look small on such a big size jacket.

I didn't come up with the pocket size by chance. This size was tested. Someone else, I think it was Indiana G had ordered a TOD jacket previously, with the same size pockets, posted photos in this forum and the pockets looked OK. Then I compared that size to whatever measurements I could take from the various available TOD photos and it was a perfect match. That's why/how I included them in my specs.

My further comment is that the pockets on Mal's jacket are not proportional to the pocket flap. Except of looking small in relation with the jacket they look too short too. And I don't think they were short in my specs (neither on the other member's jacket).

Also there are other inconsistencies with my specs like the fact that the yoke seam is too high.

Here's the thread with Indiana G's jacket
viewtopic.php?t=20106&highlight=tod

and a quote
i received correspondence from noel in regards to the sizing of the pockets on his authentic TOD leather jacket. they are 6" tall x 5 1/2" wide. the indygear site has these speced at 6" x 5", so only off by 1/2".

i've got wested building me my authentic TOD jacket for a premium and a non-returnable status. i will post pics in a month or so when it arrives.
So pocket size is confirmed.

Photos are missing but maybe if he reads this can post them again here.
Mal
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Mal »

PLATON wrote:
Also there are other inconsistencies with my specs like the fact that the yoke seam is too high.
Peter called and said that it wouldn't be possible to fulfill that part of the request. I can't recall the reason he gave, it was 7:00 AM and I'd gotten no sleep the night previous.

So, PLATON, let's say I were to walk into Peter's shop a couple of years from now and was interested in having the pockets fixed. What specs precisely would I need to provide? What measurements would fix them?
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

The pockets need to be scaled up proportionally.
Coincidentally I had such a request from another member who wanted me to resize my Raiders pockets specs so to be suitable for his 48 size jacket.

I am looking into it and have the job almost done. It's not very hard to do it if you have illustrator or coreldraw. You understand that not only the pocket size change but also the pocket placement in relation to the storm flap and bottom of the jacket.

I 'll post the results of that when finished and can do a similar job for you.
Just give me a little time cause I am extremely busy these days.
Mal
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Mal »

Sure thing. I appreciate it.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

It will be an easy fix because the old pockets stitcholes will be covered by the new pockets.

Only that I am afraid you will have to bear the cost of the new pockets because this wasn't Wested's mistake.
Mal
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Mal »

I don't care how much it's going to cost, I would like to get this thing right. I'll send it back with the specs for the pocket's done right and ask him to take the jacket down a size if at all possible.

But if the idea is to lengthen the pockets, but also to lower their position, how will the stitching for the current flap placement be covered? Won't the whole pocket be moved essentially?
Mal
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Mal »

I just got back from trying on a friend's size 40 Raiders and it fit me perfectly. I do not understand. I normally wear a size 44 jacket, so why is it that a Wested 40 fits perfectly but a Wested 44 is too big? How much would it cost to ask them to take it down that much in size?

If I ask Peter to make it a size 40, then can he apply the same measurements I gave him the first time for the pockets, move them in position according to the new size and have it be SA?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

first of all....I dont think that 44 looks to big on you.
and second...if you have a 40 on and it fits perfectley I must ask if you tryed it with a wseather underneath?or had you a t-shirt on?

I would go for something in between,just to be on the safe side...

a 42 maby?

bests
Holt
Mal
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Mal »

I just received an email from Gemma saying they won't take it down a size as it would mean re-making the jacket. I wish I could say that's unreasonable of them but it makes sense -especially what with the volume of orders they have coming in now and what not.

Makes me wonder if they'll even consider moving the pockets if I ask...
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I'd be surprised if they did. Unlike cloth, once a hole is punched in leather, it doesn't 'heal' like cloth does....that is, it won't close over itself. You'd have a second set of holes where they had to move the pockets. Not a nice look. :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Michaelson the stiches will be under the new pockets because the new pockets will be bigger.
Mal
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Mal »

I saw the other thread, I must say I am excited about this - especially if Peter agrees to do it. As soon as you have those specs, this baby is in the mail back to her maker.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Makes me wonder if they'll even consider moving the pockets if I ask...
PLATON, he said 'move', not cover.

Regards! Michaelson
Mal
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Mal »

Guess we'll see...
Last edited by Mal on Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

If he puts on a larger pocket, as PLATON mentions, then you would have no problems. The holes will still be there, but will not be visible.

Regards! Michaelson
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

I will give you a good drawing for the pockets. I 'm sure you'll like it.
Just give me some time.
Mal
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Mal »

Sounds good.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Hey Mal,

I am trying to draw those pockets for you but need a few measurements of your jacket.

Please let me know what is the storm flap length and the back length measuring from collar seam to bottom.

Regards,
Platon
Mal
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Mal »

Back: 27 Inches
Storm Flap: 23 Inches

PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Here's what I could do.
Based on the logic that the back measurement of size 40 jacket is 25 inches, then size 44 is 27 inches as Mal says. I believe that the theory that TOD was 1 icnh longer than Raiders does not stand. When I scale the NH jacket to measure from collar seam to bottom 25 inches, then pocket size corresponds to 6 x 5.5 inches. When scale it to 26 inches back, pocket size changes.

So what I did was to enlarge NH jacket so that back measurement is 27 inches. The pocket size changed as in the photo below.

I repeated same technique with Mal's jacket and result is pretty close.
So, I would suggest pocket size for 44 size jacket to be 6.5 height x 6 width. The pocket placement should also change according to the NH photo example.

Here's the photos

Mal, another way to test if this is right is to cut two pieces of paper with dimensions 6.5 x 6 inches and place them on top of the pockets of your jacket to see how it will look.

One other suggestion is to sew Raiders pockets on the jacket and make it a Raiders jacket.

Anyhow, here's a drawing showing old pockets (black) and where the new pockets could be placed (red). As you can see, they cover the old stitching quit well I believe.

Hope it helps
Mal
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Mal »

I just cut out a piece of paper and tried it - it is going to make a monumental difference and I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to help me with this alteration.

I am going to get an estimate from Gemma and we'll see how soon I can get this thing on it's way back to Wested.

Thank you again, truly.
Mal
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Mal »

Ok all,

Thanks entirely to PLATON'S efforts, I was able to ship it back to Wested and get the pockets re-sized accordingly. They look great now, if you ask me. It took enough comments from everyone for me to see that they were "too small" before, but it seems that the problem has been corrected.

Once again, thank you PLATON.

Here is the finished product:
Piers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Piers »

MUCH better! very nice
LordxHelmetx
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by LordxHelmetx »

very nice. Looks great. no seriously I want it now, where do you live?