Got My Mk VII, Thanks Swindiana

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

prettybigguy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Got My Mk VII, Thanks Swindiana

Post by prettybigguy »

Thanks to Swindiana's tip, I ordered and just received a Mk VII bag through his source. (his post is now lost, so PM him for info). When I ordered I was very clear that I wanted one w/out any writing on the outside, and the one I received looks great! Like the other bags that COW members have received, mine also has the "black stripe" on the back, but you can't see it when it's worn or when I display it. For the price, putting up with stripe is no big deal. It has the "W & G" stamp on the inside and it was in really good shape. The strap had the clip-on buckles so I didn't have to cut it off.
After a quick run through the washing machine, and working over the metal hardware with steel wool to remove corrosion, it looks (and smells) 100% better. In fact now it 's hard to believe that it's 60 years old.
I'll post some pics soon.
PBG
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

The strap had the clip-on buckles so I didn't have to cut it off.
That's strange...only my MKVI bags have the clip-on strap. My MKVII bags require the scissors to get the strap off. I wish more MKVII's had the clip on straps. I feel just horrible cutting off straps since it's such a collectible piece to WW2 collectors. Needless to say...I think I've only cut one strap off...my other 2 have the original strap.
prettybigguy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by prettybigguy »

Indiana Texas-girl wrote: That's strange...only my MKVI bags have the clip-on strap. My MKVII bags require the scissors to get the strap off. I wish more MKVII's had the clip on straps. I feel just horrible cutting off straps since it's such a collectible piece to WW2 collectors. Needless to say...I think I've only cut one strap off...my other 2 have the original strap.
Just how many bags do you have?! I'm looking high and low for them and it seems that you are sitting on a stockpile! :D :wink:
How many of you Gearheads have "multiple" vintage Mk VII bags?
PBG
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

ITG, have you tried taking a seem ripper to the thread in the original straps? This would still allow you to remove them and not damage the strap. They'd just need to be re-sewed if put back on.

PBG, I have two at the moment. An issued one with a Lee Keppler strap I got back in the early 90's and an original unissued one that I picked up a few years back. I also have a NH on the way, just for kicks. I had another bag from '90 from Keppler that I stupidly took the tie-down disk off of. I really kicked myself upon the next viewing as I saw it there plain as day. Had I known the scarcity of these things today, I would've kept it, but alas, I don't know whatever became of it.

Mike
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

I'm not trying to hog your post, but I thought I'd share pictures of mine instead of starting a whole new post. Hope you don't mind PBG.

I have a WPG, and one I got from Swindiana's connection. When I ordered, I didn't know to ask for one sans stripe. It had a faint stripe on the front and back, but I was able to get enough of it out for it to look good to me. It's going to be my primary bag. The WPG looks too new, while this one looks rugged, like it's been on a few adventures. It came with the strap sewed on, I just cut it off and threw it away. It did have a stamp inside the flap that was unreadable, but with all the washing, it has disappeared. Good deal for 10 pounds sterling. I like it a lot.

Both of these are after shots. Old strip shows up more inside than out in sunlight.

Inside

Outside
prettybigguy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by prettybigguy »

zohar wrote:I'm not trying to hog your post, but I thought I'd share pictures of mine instead of starting a whole new post. Hope you don't mind PBG.
Not @ all. I REALLY need to get a digital camera and get set up with a pic hosting site so I can post more pix.
The only reason I specified about the writing was because ALL of the Mk VIIs I find have writing on them from the original owners! It's too bad yours had the stripe on the front, mine only has a stripe on the back. Everything else on mine looks like yours though, including the black strap rings and the smooth fasteners.
I also have a WPG bag and I really like it. Is does look too new initially. I ran mine through the wash and now it looks a lot better. It sounds like you need to take it on some adventures so it will look as rugged as your vintage one!
I wanted to get 1 real MK VII before Indy 4 comes out and the few remaining disappear.
PBG
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

prettybigguy wrote: Just how many bags do you have?! I'm looking high and low for them and it seems that you are sitting on a stockpile! :D :wink:
How many of you Gearheads have "multiple" vintage Mk VII bags?
PBG
I confess, I've bought all the bags that can be found. All kidding aside, I have 3 MKVII and 3 MKVI's. However, my unissued MKVII W&G brand is my prized one and I have no intention of cutting the strap off. And then another MKVII has a Paul Frank patch on it and the orginal strap, I use this bag for a purse. Then my third MKVII I use with my Keppler strap as a purse too. I actually prefer the MKVI bag more for the way the pockets are divided and the straps clip on and off easily.
Mike wrote:ITG, have you tried taking a seem ripper to the thread in the original straps? This would still allow you to remove them and not damage the strap. They'd just need to be re-sewed if put back on.
Smart idea.
Kwebs
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by Kwebs »

I just got my bag as well it's great. Mine also has the black bar on it.
But I don't realy care, this is my first MKVII and I love it. This is such a great bag!

Thanks
Swindiana

Dave
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Mike wrote:ITG, have you tried taking a seem ripper to the thread in the original straps?
It hurts but my advise is just cut them. Take lots of photos to document and then enjoy the Indy bag.

Cheers,
Pyro.
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Got My Mk VII, Thanks Swindiana

Post by Swindiana »

prettybigguy wrote:Thanks to Swindiana's tip, I ordered and just received a Mk VII bag through his source. (his post is now lost, so PM him for info).
Hey guys! You will not get rid of me! :wink:

My profile was lost so I had to re-enter and here I'm back at it again.
Thanks for the kind words PBG. I noticed I had 3 PM's waiting for me while checking my email account but the site was down and now they are gone with my last profile and so are all of my posts. PM me again and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. It's great to hear that you have gotten your bags and even greater to see familiar pics of them. My original strap had the clip-on on one side and was sewn on the other side. Like Mike said, just use a seem ripper or even a knife to cut the seems open, it is easy as pie. I'll put pictures of my bag up in antoher post later. Cheers!, it's good to be back.

/Swedish Indiana
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Kwebs wrote:I just got my bag as well it's great. Mine also has the black bar on it.
But I don't realy care, this is my first MKVII and I love it. This is such a great bag!

Thanks
Swindiana

Dave
:tup:

/Swindy
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Swindy, glad you made it back.

Mike
Lindiana
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Lindiana »

Yeah Swindiana, I had to do the same thing, I got booted in the "restoration process" also.
Lindiana
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

PBG: Still interested in that Swedish military map case?
They are $3 and the store has lots of them but I think you'll get it cheaper if ordering from this site within the US http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/ where they are $3.99.

/Swindiana
prettybigguy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by prettybigguy »

Swindiana wrote:PBG: Still interested in that Swedish military map case?

/Swindiana
No thanks, I think I'm good with bags for right now.
PBG
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

prettybigguy wrote: No thanks, I think I'm good with bags for right now.
PBG
I understand, I just gave my WPG away to a friend of mine and I may be on to another source of real MKVII's again, so I guess I'll probably be having two bags anytime soon again. :wink: I'll also have a leather strap custom made soon too... The quest goes on... and on.

Hopefully I'll get a reply from the company with the MKVII's on monday and I'll let you all know what it's all about.

/Swindy
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Don't like the black stripe?
Wrestle this:

:lol:

Those are authentic markings by the way!

/Swindy
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

With a little conversion, those Swedish military map cases, with a little conversion, would be a perfect with one of Indy Magnoli's "Belloq's Tannis Map room plan". (I know this doesn't fit in with the General Gear board, but I just thought I'd mention it) -IJ
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Sounds great! I knew someone would find a use for them. :wink:

If they are out on http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/ I'm sure I could help you out.

/Swindy
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Yeah, The biggest change we'd probably have make would be to screen print an eagle, wreath and swastika (evil, evil, evil!) on it. (you know, like what the Nazi's screen printed on the Ark's crate) What's the name of those symbols anyway. I'm sure there's probably something easier to say than "eagle wreath and swastika". -IJ