Magnoli HJ (arrived...FLATTENED!) - Fed IV comparison

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

imagine671
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Magnoli HJ (arrived...FLATTENED!) - Fed IV comparison

Post by imagine671 »

Hey there, everyone,

So, my Magnoli HJ just came back from Steve yesterday. Before I explain the shock I was in upon receiving the hat, let me just say that Steve did an EXCELLENT job re-hauling my Mag HJ. The crown had been noticeably short and I was seeing much more taper in my hat than in the other Mag HJs posted on this site. Through Steve's efforts, the hat is now spot on. No complaints AT ALL!!! The felt is sooo soft, and I love the floppiness of the hat. There's considerably less stiffener in the Mag HJ than in the Fed IV (that may have been a huge understatement). This does not detract from my opinion of either hat, though, as I think they both benefit from their respective qualities. The Fed IV might be able to take a bit more of a beating than the Mag HJ as it seems a bit more robust, if that makes sense. HOWEVER!! I may be in need of retracting that last statement (not in terms of the quality of the Fed), because, as the pictures below illuminate, my Mag HJ took one heck of a beating on its way across the pond and bounced back from its injured state quite well (especially coming from the form of a pancake)! Testament to Steve Delk's skill, I say!

Without any further ado, here are some photos. The first two show you the condition the hat (and box) were in upon receiving the Magnoli HJ (AFTER I popped out the hat - it was completely flattened!) My friends figure it's Royal Mail's fault as opposed to the US Postal Service, as this has happened to them on a number of occasions. I would hate to place the blame on either one, but lets just say the Royal Mail woman was literally pealing out in her van when I opened the door no more than fifteen seconds after the knock! She just pointed at the box at my feet and never looked back! The third photo is of my hand re-shaping of the HJ (I had to steam it - and put it back into its open-crown form) After letting it set open crown, I very quickly steamed it in as close as I could get to a Raiders look before popping it on my head and running out the door for work/university. Might have to do a bit of tweaking. Finally, you'll see the Mag HJ pitted against the Fed IV in an epic set of comparison pictures!! (not really - ha). It's quite funny that these hats arrived one day after the other. I LOVE THESE HATS!! (**The Fed IV has a bit of Fuller's Earth applied, but the reddish tone is its own)

Cheers, everyone!!
-Steve H

Image Image Image

Image Image Image
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

:shock: WOW! That's one smooshed hat box!!!! I'm glad it popped back out for you, though if I had a drop and run delivery like that, I would've reported it, just out of poor business practice. Still, the hat rebounded nicely and they both look great!
WeeMadHamish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by WeeMadHamish »

I like how the box is quite obviously stamped "FRAGILE." I guess they thought they'd test it.
morganswift

Post by morganswift »

Well recovered! Both hats look great!

Cheers
Alex
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

That's the worst one I have seen to date. I think we need to use titanium as a packing crate.

I noticed the crushed hat gave you the telescope crown marks! :D Fedora
imagine671
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by imagine671 »

Haha. Excellent. I was thinking that actually...the hat got smashed to smithereens, and that's exactly what they did to the Raiders hat (though maybe not to QUITE the same degree. :-P Again, thanks for the hat, Steve...very pleased with it.

-Steve H
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

Let's see some before and after pics of you wearing the Magnoli HJ.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

Who knew that the postal service was a indygear fan. They helped with the distressing. :D Hats looks great, thanks for posting.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

That's why I never mark anything "fragile." :shock:
imagine671
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by imagine671 »

Per Tron's request, I have provided two photos, profile shots of the Magnoli HJ before and after Steve's re-working (assuming it's the same hat body, which I'm GUESSING it is, but Steve would know for sure). Let me know what you think. I can definitely see a difference, especially in the front and back - and of course in the height (I can now have a deeper center crease than before - I had to compensate for the lower crown height by having a shallow crease before the hat was fixed). Excellent work, Steve!

Image Image
BEFORE & AFTER

Cheers, all!
-Steve H
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

A large improvement indeed! Congrats.

Dave
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

Fantastic. Plus the new HJ has more SA hair!
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

Tron7960 wrote:Fantastic. Plus the new HJ has more SA hair!
:lol: A good comment there Tron, looking good for the premiere imagine. Glad your hat made it in one piece, my goodness, I guess my box looked opposite to yours, perfect box. The Magnoli HJ, looks great imagine. Glad those postal workers had the guts to distress your hat. :wink: Look good, hat recovered nicely. Maybe I should do that, sit on my hat and then recrease. Got some character there in that hat now. Nice looking hat. :tup:

IndianaChris
imagine671
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by imagine671 »

Hey there.

Thanks for all the great comments, guys. Really appreciate it. Ha..."SA hair". That was particularly good. Yeah...I cut it cuz it was getting to be a hassle, plus my girlfriend dropped the not-so-subtle hint that she liked my short hair she'd seen in pictures of me when I was younger. Plus with the premier...Why not?? =)

-Steve H
Piker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Piker »

I'll have to take pics of my Akubra Hat shipping box. Then we can let the members vote on which one is worse!!
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

imagine671 wrote:Hey there.

Thanks for all the great comments, guys. Really appreciate it. Ha..."SA hair". That was particularly good. Yeah...I cut it cuz it was getting to be a hassle, plus my girlfriend dropped the not-so-subtle hint that she liked my short hair she'd seen in pictures of me when I was younger. Plus with the premier...Why not?? =)

-Steve H
Did the same thing myself a couple of weeks back! (well I paid a professional to do it :wink: )
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

I remember your post from when you received the hat initially, and do say that this is an improvement. Not that the other was essentially "bad". Bravo to Fedora for the changes.. and poo on whichever mail service crushed the box. I've never seen one quite that bad. And I send and receive all the time.
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Yoinks!! Well at least it turned out well in the end. Good looking lids!

Cheers!

Dan
mtechthang
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

New thread?

Post by mtechthang »

Piker wrote:I'll have to take pics of my Akubra Hat shipping box. Then we can let the members vote on which one is worse!!
Yes. I suspect we have all had one (though I admit gladly- I've never had one quite that bad!!). :shock:

I wouldn't go quite so far as to say they "helped" distress the hat but I think it is a testament to 1) Steve's talent at re-working the felt, :D 2) the bashing ability of the hat owner!! 8)
imagine671
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by imagine671 »

Cheers for that, mtechthang!! =)