The Federation IV Display Page

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

uncle ogs
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by uncle ogs »

I know what you mean, its great seeing them arrive one by one to the four corners of the globe!
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mississippi Jones »

Steve,

In your open crown pics, why is the crown shorter in the first pic than the second pic?
imagine671
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by imagine671 »

Hey Mississippi Jones,

That's an excellent question, and I can only come up with two answers to it. =)

1) The first pic (open crown) is from the side, whereas the second one is from the back. It kind of plays tricks with your mind, I think, because it's not as wide, yet just as high.

2) The angle at which I took the first picture and also the lighting.

But yeah...very strange, huh? Especially since each picture was taken about 10 seconds between the other.

Cheers,
-Steve
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Steve27752 wrote:
Risu wrote:It's not totally plastic. The whole lining is done is satin (I think that's what it is) and then there's a piece of plastic that sits in the top to protect the logo and keep water from soaking through the hat onto your head. It's actually quite practical.
Would it be easy to remove it without damaging the liner/hat?
Steve :D
I find the plastic annoying because it traps the moisture and heat inside the hat even more than it keeps moisture out! I once cut the plastic out carefully with a razor blade, but it was a very old hat, and the plastic was better off being removed no matter what. I'm tempted to try it on another hat, but I haven't found a suitable test subject.

The other option is to remove the entire lining on warmer days. If it's glued in, pull it off carefully at each glue spots. If it's sewn in, a couple of snips is all it takes. The liner can then be removed and replaced with ease.
IndianaSolo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: New York City..."You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"

Post by IndianaSolo »

Anyone here notice a resemblance of Imagine's Fed to the pix of Todd's HJ (although the Fed looks better) :-s

http://toddscostumes.com/indy/HJ%20Indi ... fedora.htm
indiana smith
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indiana smith »

[quote="imagine671"]Hey there, Alex (and others),

Thanks for the compliments, guys. The more I look at this hat, the more I love it. Anyway, in answer to your question, Alex, initially I put the 'Fuller's Earth' on simply to give the Fed more of a 'used-in-action' look. When it's too pristine, it doesn't give me that Indy vibe I'm looking for. HOWEVER, now that I've applied it (basically brushed some in all round it, and added some at the base around the ribbon), I think that it ever so slightly LIGHTENS the hat to about the shade I expect to see from an Indy fedora. That makes me happy as well. =) There are a lot of people on this site who wouldn't DREAM of applying 'dirt' to their hats, though (especially on the very day they received them!), and I can totally respect that. It was SO hard to make the decision to put a bit of dirt on the hat, especially if it were to rain (which...I mean...come on...this is England). =) After the premier, I'll try to get rid of as much of the Fuller's Earth as possible, so I can wear the hat in a light drizzle. =) Take care!!

-Steve H
Actually, the fullers won't turn into mud if it gets wet.It Will just come off.
imagine671
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by imagine671 »

WOW, Indiana Smith!! Thanks for that! Now I don't feel as bad about putting Fuller's Earth on my hat! =) The day's getting better and better. I even found my bike that got stolen a few days ago -- in front of my neighbor's HOUSE!!! What the heck?! :shock:

Take care, all!
-Steve H
morganswift

Post by morganswift »

imagine671 wrote:I even found my bike that got stolen a few days ago -- in front of my neighbor's HOUSE!!! What the heck?!
It's the power of the hat, man! :lol:

Alex
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

morganswift wrote: It's the power of the hat, man! :lol:

Alex
You mean... The Hatman? (cue dramatic Danny Elfman score)
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Ahh, thanks, Steve! I'm about to order my new Fed IV right now!
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Done and done! My new Fed IV (reg) has just been ordered!

I'm VERY excited since this is going to be my FIRST FEDORA!......at least since I was 9 years old.
imagine671
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by imagine671 »

Awesome, Mississippi Jones!!

You cannot go wrong...honestly. OH, and I hope this doesn't make a difference for you - and it would have been nice to catch you before you ordered the Fed if it DOES, but I'd recommend NOT going up a size like hatsdirect recommends. Of course, this is WHOLLY personal opinion...BUT, from what we've been reading in this thread, these hats are arriving a bit bigger than expected. When I ordered my 58 and then heard the bit about hat sizes, I got very worried that the 58 would be too tight for my (measured) 57.5 cm head, and considered moving up to the 59. Not the case. If anything, the 58 was a little loose, but after sitting on my head for a day, the Fed IV has settled/conformed quite nicely to my head. This is just MY experience though. Please allow others to weigh in on it!! I can't wait to see pictures of your Fed IV!! That's such good news!

All the best,
-Steve H
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Oh good. I ordered a 57 because that's what my measurement is. I didn't go up a size. Thanks for telling me, I'm glad I stayed with my measurement.
oswd
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by oswd »

My head measured 58'5 cm
I have asked for the size 59 and I have replied that this was the correct size.

Best regards
Steve27752
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Steve27752 »

My Federation 1V arrived here in the U.K. first thing this morning. Am I happy?................................................Oh YES!
I know that a picture says a thousand words but I have neither a digital camera nor the know how to yto get photo`s from a camera onto a computer and onto a website.
It looks as good as all the others in the photo`s that have been posted so far.
I have several Akubra hats as they are my favorite make and yes this one is slightly large, so I have used the adjustment tape and it is now a perfect fit.
A big thanks to Ron and Jenny (thanks for the gift) at Hatsdirect.com
To Michaelson and all who helped with this project.
And yes when my Federation 1V is not so new the plastic will be very carefully cut out.
Steve :D :D
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

My Deluxe finally got here. \:D/

I can't add anymore than you've already read, but CAN say the new finish is absolutely amazing! I'd had to say if you handed this one to me and I didn't look, it feels just like a beaver hat! They REALLY did a great job on the pouncing, as that was one of the points Ron said they wanted to address on this new offering. EXCELLENT job, Ron!

Thank you, Ron, for asking for my input! As usual, it was a pure pleasure on my part!! :D

Regards! Michaelson
IndianaSolo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: New York City..."You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"

Post by IndianaSolo »

Now Michaelson, we know that you only just received it and tuning it up to your specs but just a friendly reminder, ;0
Iowa
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Iowa »

I just got word (well, at 1:30 a.m.) from Jenny that my Moonstone Gray has arrived at the shop and will ship out with the next post, so it's likely on its way. I can't wait; the color looks to be outstanding!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

IndianaSolo wrote:Now Michaelson, we know that you only just received it and tuning it up to your specs but just a friendly reminder, ;0
...and like the new V-8 commercial where the husband tells his wife 'you can hit me in the head all you want, I don't like vegetables'...... :lol:

Yes, there's a parallel in there somewhere....:wink:

Regards! Michaelson
morganswift

Post by morganswift »

Just one more shot of my hat. Gone a little 'deeper' with the side dents and think I'm pretty happy with it now...

And I second the request for pics from Michaelson! :D

Cheers
Alex
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Well did any of you Fed IV owners go up a size when you ordered? I just got an e-mail from Hats Direct requesting me to confirm my size. It's now or never! What should I do? What did you guys do? 8-[
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Mine was a 59 (which I usually get) and fits me right out of the box like I was measured for it....but then I believe I kind of fall between sizes when it comes to a 58/59, so the 1/2 size down situation still holds in theory.

Regards! Michaelson
Steve27752
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Steve27752 »

Mississippi Jones wrote:Well did any of you Fed IV owners go up a size when you ordered? I just got an e-mail from Hats Direct requesting me to confirm my size. It's now or never! What should I do? What did you guys do? 8-[
I ordered my usual Akubra size which is 57. However I think my Federation which arrived this morning would equal a 58, I used the spacing foam to make it fit............................I would definately not go up a size.
morganswift

Post by morganswift »

I measured my head at 58cm and ordered a 58 but then after the email advising to go up a size I changed my order to a 59. I would say it was too big out of the box but when I put the foam tape in it was perfect. And now, with a little natural shrinkage, it's getting a little snug. Hope that helps...

...not sure it does :lol:

But I would say it's better to be a size over than a size under

Cheers
Alex
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

True. The sweatband does shrink due to wear and perspiration, so it will fit down to your head size nicely with wear. A small hat, on the other hand, will become to tight and will require stretching to make it fit.

You chose.....wisely! :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
uncle ogs
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by uncle ogs »

Yep. I went up one to a 59 and needed the tape but i reckon it will sort itself out.
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Thanks guys, this definately helps. I'm just going to stick to my 57. If worse comes to worse, I'll just order another one.....someday.
Aztec
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Aztec »

After loving my Fed regular size 59 for almost two years now, I was wondering if it is really worth it to purchase the FED IV? Is the difference big enough to warrant the purchase? I would consider buying the FED IV reg. From those who have the new one and old one, it would be a great help to hear. And yes I have read the various posts regarding the hat and have seen the great reviews, but dropping 120$ or so on hat is no small chunk of change.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Unless you have a problem with your old Fed, I personally see no reason to purchase the new one, unless you just want a new hat and keep the old one for a backup.

The block and finish of the new hat is far better than the old, but they're still the same tried and true tough Akubra fedoras.

Regards! Michaelson
serenade
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serenade »

I would love to have your opinion about this guys...

It's worth the money to have de Deluxe version instead of Normal? I mean... really worth for somebody who is not going to wear the Hat very often, only few times in real life... and for Indy costume...

Thanks in advance...
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

serenade, if you only plan to wear the hat on occasion and usually as part of a costume, you're probably best going with the regular FedIV. It's less expensive, but it will STILL take worlds of abuse! It's equally a nice hat, just not as finely finished.
serenade
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serenade »

Thanks!!! I think I'm gonna order a Regular Fed... but I don't want to buy a regular and then a deluxe weeks later... hahahha

and the last question is.. I have a fur DP, pretty nice bashed... but yet a DP...

The improvement in the look of the hat will be huge or not very?
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

I have to second Bink's wise words. But be warned... even regular Feds can be addictive! Oh, and the DP and Feds (even the older ones) are a night-and-day difference in looks.

Michaelson; Thank you. Somehow, mystically, you're small additions/clarifications to the mountain of comments here have made a big difference in my decision-making. I now know that I want a Deluxe (it will be my first), and that I will probably benefit by ordering up one size. The old 59 Feds have no room to shrink on me!

Now, all I need is some money and to pick a color. :-k
IndianaSolo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaSolo »

serenade wrote:Thanks!!! I think I'm gonna order a Regular Fed... but I don't want to buy a regular and then a deluxe weeks later... hahahha

and the last question is.. I have a fur DP, pretty nice bashed... but yet a DP...

The improvement in the look of the hat will be huge or not very?
In my opinion after having a wool DP(wool or fur, it's still the same style) my Adventurer was a HUGE HUGE improvement, and from what I'm seeing on this thread, the Fed IV is an improvement over the Adventurer.

Actually the other day I recall seeing a couple of college kids talking about the "Official" IJ hat one of them was wearing. I couldn't help but smile and remember that back in Jan. I was exactly the same way.
Club Obi Wan, I thank you DEEPLY for giving me the Red Pill :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :mrgreen:
serenade
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serenade »

####... I will have to buy a reg Fed then...

Thanks for all the advice, guys, COW simply rules!!!

Going to order a nice Lid... :P
Risu
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Risu »

I got mine in the mail today and I was so psyched I had to open it before going to class. The first thing I noticed was how much stiffer it is than the old fed, and it also has a reverse taper I thought could only be found in a homemade hat, very nice. In under a minute I CS bashed it with a slight turn and went to class, it's extremely easy to bash compared to the old fed. Anyways, I got back and decided to go all the way with the Raiders bash. I still have some details to iron out, but it's almost there.

Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

That hat looks too big for you. Did you have to use the inserts??
Jones Boy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jones Boy »

I have been drooling =P~ over these new Feds for a bit now, watching from the sidelines and I took the plunge on behalf of my two sons (who are both 'dyed in the wool' Indy fans).

I got my first Akubra at an early age and I wanted to continue the tradition.

I am highly impressed with Ron's professionalism and attention to detail, especially in sourcing an extra small hat for one of my boys (the other has a size 57 so easy one there [-o< ). I spoke to him and he was extremely helpful, so thanks Ron.

I can't wait to see the expressions on my boys faces - they will be gobsmacked. Will let you know how it goes. The hats should be here any day now. 8-[
XPLSV
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by XPLSV »

Iowa wrote:I just got word (well, at 1:30 a.m.) from Jenny that my Moonstone Gray has arrived at the shop and will ship out with the next post, so it's likely on its way. I can't wait; the color looks to be outstanding!
Iowa...I'll be watching for a pic! I'm on the verge of getting one with the tax rebate and a pic will probably give me enough impetus to ignore the wife's wrath :lol:
Risu
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Risu »

Nope, fits perfectly. Looks way more proportional than my old fed, too. It probably just looks too big because of the harsh lighting and the reverse taper, which makes the top of the crown bulge out wider than my head.
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

Looks like they just used the Bushman block? Image Image and to think, it's been cheap and available everyday since 1981. And it's pictured in the Indygear Fedora guide since always. I had plans to stridently insist the Bushman was the Raiders hat, untill Screenused's Real Deal turned up. I still need a hat with the proper color, and will probably invest in a Federation 4 this year. :D Image Image Image
Last edited by 3thoubucks on Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:02 am, edited 6 times in total.
mountainman
Vendor

Post by mountainman »

Hi 3thoubucks,

this block set has not been used in over 30 years and is used exclusively on the Fed 4. The set is a wooden set, which is probably some 50 - 70 years old. It is a little more oval than the previous set making it a better fit.

Cheers, Ron
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

The Bushman block is 100 years old. If there's a diference, it must be slight. (The brim flange would be different, though.) But the Bushman is only available in sand and tan, and doesn't have the right ribbon, so they aren't in competition with the Fed 4. Thanks for coming up with such a great hat. The longer oval sounds good to me, as my vintage HJ is a longer than usual oval.
Last edited by 3thoubucks on Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steve27752
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Steve27752 »

Risu wrote:Nope, fits perfectly. Looks way more proportional than my old fed, too. It probably just looks too big because of the harsh lighting and the reverse taper, which makes the top of the crown bulge out wider than my head.
It looks a perfect fit to me.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

3thoubucks wrote:The Bushman block is 100 years old. If there's a diference, it must be slight. (The brim flange would be different, though.) But the Bushman is only available in sand and tan, and doesn't have the right ribbon, so they aren't in competition with the Fed 4. Thanks for coming up with such a great hat. The longer oval sounds good to me, as my vintage HJ is a longer than usual oval.
You're telling Ron Lilburne, the number one Akubra dealer in the world (this according to Akubra themselves) the differences and history between the blocks of the Akubra Bushman and the new Fed IV? :shock: :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Piker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Piker »

Michaelson wrote:Mine was a 59 (which I usually get) and fits me right out of the box like I was measured for it....but then I believe I kind of fall between sizes when it comes to a 58/59, so the 1/2 size down situation still holds in theory.

Regards! Michaelson
Very similar here, I am between a 60-59 so the 60 coming in at 59.5 was perfect.

Customs did a number on my hat though, looks like they used it to play Australian Rules Football. Hope there is a special place in #### for them.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I think the most abused hat box I ever received from Ron occured right after 9-11. :-k

They reduced the number of planes allowed into the U. S. during the period right after the attack, and yet companies overseas still had to ship items out in a timely manner.

The shipper that HatsDirect was using literally crammed the proverbial 5 pounds into a 3 pound bag, and everything that would have normally been shipped out of Australia on 3 cargo planes were shipped out on one. Needless to say, most of the hat boxes that came on THOSE planes looked like pancakes or worse! :shock:

Still useable, but my GOODNESS what a mess that box was in. I threw it away after taking the hat out. The hat was ok, but the box was totaled.:?

It looked JUST like the HJ box seen in this thread. How the hat survived intact, I don't know, but it did.
viewtopic.php?t=28924

Regards! Michaelson
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Tawny Tawny Tawny

Post by Kokopelli »

-got my Tawny Fed 4 today!. The box got killed, but the hat is fine. I had to get to class then work, so I'll get pics later.
Thoughts: The new block and brim are excellent. The brim is very stiff, but the cut and shape are great. Color- darker than I expected. More 'pecan' than tan. Fit- I have a 56 old Fed Dlx, which is snug, but not really tight. My head is 56.5, so going by HD's recommendation on sizes for the new block, I got a 57. It slips down to my ears easily. Hopefully I'llput the foam in there, and it'll snug up with wear.

Ok, had a little time to play with it at work. Haven't tried bashing it yet, 'cause I'm afraid itmight be too big. Putting the foam tape in it along the sides, as I'm a long oval, it still rests on the tops of my ears, and I can get my fingers between it and my head. Without the tape, it easily goes over my ears all the way down until the crown rests on my head.
I can't wait to post pics- it's hilarious!
Last edited by Kokopelli on Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

What's with all the battered boxes? Don't they realize we can distress our hats without their help? :wink:
Vaderbreath
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Vaderbreath »

Well, my Fed arrived today (it takes awhile being in Washington State!), and I love, love, love it. Great feel, took a bash really well, and the color is beautiful. Thanks, Ron, for an awesome hat that will be worn for many years!!!

-Corey