My first Fedora arrived today!!!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

Oh boy, am I excited!!! I finally received my very first Fedora in the mail today; a Peter Brothers-LC hat with a Temple of Doom pinch. Needless to say, I am so happy and blown away. I instantly geared up for some photos (and running around the house while being chased by Natives, of course :wink: ). I have a Fieldmaster and Adventurebuilt coming as well, but for my first Fedora, I am absolutely blown away. I had a theme park fedora back in 95, but I'd say this is a million times better. I noticed my vocabulary has gotten child-like, but I feel like a kid again with this great hat. I opted for the soft rabbit fur, by the way. Here are a few pics:

Here's one of me semi-geared up. I can't tell if it looks giant and awkward on me, or if I'm just not used to it.

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

You just need to get used to it. After you wear it for a while, it will take on your head shape and style.

Looks GREAT!!!

HIGH regards! Michaelson
Thousand Truths
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Thousand Truths »

It looks great!
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

yeah it just takes awhile to get use to wearing a fed, its not the norm for us these days.
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

Thanks everybody! At first I thought it was too tall, but I looked at a few Ford photographs, and I guess it doesn't look as "ginormous" as I originally speculated.

Does it appear fairly "screen accurate? It looks pretty sweet to me.
Iowa
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Iowa »

That's a great lid! It looks just right on you, with that nice stovepipe look the Raiders fedora has in certain shots.

I'm curious: how floppy is the soft bunny felt?
Arkansas Russell
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Arkansas Russell »

Sweet!!
Looks like a winner to me!!!
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

Iowa wrote:That's a great lid! It looks just right on you, with that nice stovepipe look the Raiders fedora has in certain shots.

I'm curious: how floppy is the soft bunny felt?
It's actually a lot more rigid that I expected. I wasn't sure if it was going to be somewhat flimsy, but it is not like that at all.

Thanks for the props Arkansas and Iowa. :)
Magnum Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Magnum Jones »

I think it looks real good. That tall stove pipe look is what we all want in a fedora.
BoilermakerJones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by BoilermakerJones »

Looks great Z!

Is it in time for your classroom discussion that you mentioned earlier?

Matt
Piker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Piker »

Great Lid, Amigo!!!
Custom79
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

I like it!

Post by Custom79 »

Hi Z.

The only reason the hat looks awkward is that your head is tilted to one side in the picture.

It honestly looks great. I find that it always takes a bit for me to get used to a new lid.

Enjoy the new hat.

Regards.

C79
Thousand Truths
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Thousand Truths »

Yea I'm sure when I get my first Fedora it will look a little awkward cause I've never worn one! Just gotta get used to it.
TheChimp
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by TheChimp »

congrats on the new hat, and I think it looks just fine.

I understand your concern. I have a Fed IV on order, and it'll be my first fedora, so I'm a little worried about how one's going to look on me as well.
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

BoilermakerJones wrote:Looks great Z!

Is it in time for your classroom discussion that you mentioned earlier?

Matt
It sure is! We started Friday, and now I have a little bit of time to "wow" 'em on the last day of the lesson. I can't wait to see their faces. Thanks for asking. :)

Thanks again to everyone for their words of encouragement. The stove pipe look is cool, and I am already slowly getting more used to seeing it on me. The height really threw me at first, but clearly, as everyone keeps mentioning, this is par for the course, and quite normal.
Piker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Piker »

It takes a little bit to get used to the look of a tall hat.

Once you get used to the stovepipe, put a low crown on and the low hat looks sooooooo weird.
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

Piker wrote:It takes a little bit to get used to the look of a tall hat.

Once you get used to the stovepipe, put a low crown on and the low hat looks sooooooo weird.
Ha! I bet; I hadn't thought of that. :)

Actually, I had my Cubs hat on tonight, and it did seem rather low. :o
BoilermakerJones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by BoilermakerJones »

Go Cubbies!

I live in Tigerland now, but I grew up in the Chicago area. After wearing a fedora for several years now, a baseball hat seems rather restrictive. A fedora won't give you hat hair like your Cubs cap. The only hat I really like as well as a fedora is the Cubs cap that I got at the first playoff game I ever attended in 1989. (Of course I didn't like the outcome of the game.)

Matt
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

Go Cubbies indeed! Great start so far. :)

I noticed that about wearing an Indy lid ... it doesn't give you hat head at all. How great is that?!
Honolulu Jones
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Honolulu Jones »

Looking good brah.

I'm interested to hear how the PB compares to the Camptown and AB once you get those, so don't forget to fill us in.
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

Honolulu Jones wrote:Looking good brah.

I'm interested to hear how the PB compares to the Camptown and AB once you get those, so don't forget to fill us in.
Thanks Honolulu. :) Someone told me it looks too high on my face; no one else has said this yet. I didn't think it would be the wrong bash for my face, but I wasn't sure.
Swamp
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Swamp »

Mr. Z.,

Just for information sake, when did you order from Peters Bros. I ordered a hat on March 13. I just want to gauge how long yours took. I am by no means complaining about the wait, just like to have a guesstimate of when I should be expecting my Indy straw. My Fed DLX is getting rather hot here in Oklahoma.

BTW Cubbies fan myself. What a homestand.

Swamp
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

Swamp wrote:Mr. Z.,

Just for information sake, when did you order from Peters Bros. I ordered a hat on March 13. I just want to gauge how long yours took. I am by no means complaining about the wait, just like to have a guesstimate of when I should be expecting my Indy straw. My Fed DLX is getting rather hot here in Oklahoma.

BTW Cubbies fan myself. What a homestand.

Swamp
Swamp, yes that homestand was great!!

I ordered my hat on St. Patrick's Day of this year, and got it on Monday, so that was just over 4 weeks or so. Not very long at all. Go Indy and Go Cubs!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

You might have received it sooner if they hadn't been out on the rodeo circuit and didn't return to the shop until the end of March....so you did pretty good in that turnaround.

Regards! Michaelson
Piker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Piker »

Go Cubs! :D
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Mr. Z, today I'm wearing my PB rabbit fedora in your honor!! :D I 've got your back!! :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
kobol
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by kobol »

Nice Peter bros.
I do agree with Michaelsons earlier post. Once you wear that fed a while. It will start taking on it's own shape and character while conforming to your head. In essence becoming your hat and style.
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

Michaelson wrote:Mr. Z, today I'm wearing my PB rabbit fedora in your honor!! :D I 've got your back!! :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
That is so great; thanks Michaelson. It's good to meet positive and supportive fans out there! You'll be interested to know that I took your advice and talked to Joe. He agreed with you 100% (great minds think alike), and suggested I look at the hat from 8-10 feet away in a full-length mirror for an accurate depiction. I have the hat on as I type this, by the way. :D

Kobol, I also appreciate the props. ;)
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Looks great Z!! Are you going to do any other shaping or distressingto it, or are you satisfied with how it looks letting it weather & shape over time?

Cheers!

Dan
Swamp
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Swamp »

Have you got your first Indy reference yet? I wore my yesterday and my neighbor comes out of her garden and yells, Hey Indy! I tipped my hat and said High.
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

DanielJones wrote:Looks great Z!! Are you going to do any other shaping or distressingto it, or are you satisfied with how it looks letting it weather & shape over time?

Cheers!

Dan
I am not quite sure yet. I may add more of a pinch to it to make it more distinct, but other then that, I'll let nature take its course.

Swamp, no Indy references yet, but I haven't worn it at school yet. That's when the kids will go nuts! :)
Buchanan Bob
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Buchanan Bob »

I, too have PB in the soft rabbit coming in June. Yours looks great! :!: If mine looks half that good, I'll be well satisfied. I wear my current fedora everyday, and I also work at a school. (college) I have only received positve comments from everyone. Most women tell me they wish men would go back to wearing hats like these. A lot of the instructors say they have fedoras at home and will start wearing them. I still haven't seen too many, but that's okay. I'm kinda known for the fedora look now, and I don't mind being *different*. :D Great fedora, Z.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

What college are you at, Bob?

Regards! Michaelson
Buchanan Bob
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Buchanan Bob »

Hello Michaelson, I work at a West Central Technical College, in Waco, Georgia. A fantastic place to work, or go to school. :lol: I read in another thread that you like the Peters Bros. fedoras. As you probably know by now from my other posts, I have a soft rabbit ordered in the TOD style. What do you think of these? It seems Mr. Z loves his and it sure looks good. I wear my fedoras everyday, rain or shine, and wondered how the PB would hold up to this. I also have an AB coming that I ordered recently. I think from what Steve has said, his hats are made to be worn. Well, I fully intend to wear mine! :D
All the Best!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Very good! I work at the Unversity of Tennessee Space Institute in Tullahoma, TN. Lot's of academic types hanging around this joint! :lol: :wink: From looking at a map, you're close enough to me to hit with a rock.....if thrown REAL hard!! :lol:

The soft rabbit PB is a VERY nice hat! With all rabbit furs, I'd suggest a treatment of Scouts water proofing to help make it more weather resistant, but it's still comparible with an Akubra in terms of resistance to foul weather....

Wear it in good health! PB makes a GREAT hat!

Regards! Michaelson
Last edited by Michaelson on Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buchanan Bob
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Buchanan Bob »

And Michaelson, I've got to say I love your avatar. If that isn't a picture of a guy knowing things, then I don't know what is. :lol:
All The Best!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Maybe not the RIGHT things....but, things! :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Buchanan Bob
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Buchanan Bob »

:notworthy:
All the Best!
rrhanselka
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rrhanselka »

Mr. Z, your PB looks GREAT!!!! Very similar to my PB that I received a couple of weeks ago. I got the 50/50 hat, and it, too, is a lot firmer than I expected. BUT, I really like it that way. Also the taller crown, but a bit tapered.

I've set out on a mission to own, at least, one example of the most noted makers of Indy hats. I'm well on my way. So far, I have not been disappointed by a single hat. They are all PRIMO in one way or another. Right now, I'm wearing my Camptown Fieldmaster, another wonderful hat. I'm anxiously awaiting my AB, as well as, the new 'Legend' from Camptown. I haven't seen a hat yet that I wouldn't be a repeat-buyer.

Kudoes to each and every one of the talented hat-makers that make this such an enjoyable hobby/addiction to so many of us.

Many thanks
Randoman
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

Ah, the good folks of acadamia representing here at COW. :) I teach high school in Washington, Il., and my students call me either Mr. Z or Indiana Jones. Pretty cool. :)

Thanks for the props on my PB Randoman and Buchanan Bob!