Where to find hat blocks

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Spatterdash
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Spatterdash »

Hey, Cap'n...

Any detailed info would be appreciated.

The Hatshaper straight-sided dome has the potential to solve a problem, by the look of it. I need a size or two smaller than my homemade cedar block for reblocking, and the hatshaper fits the bill by all accounts.
A lot of folks convert hard-as-nails cowboy hats into some really nice fedoras use these hatshapers and get astounding results. I'm even told that a few professional hatters use them for basic reblocks. Seems they work just fine.
I'll be glad to hear any specific details you can share when the time comes.
Captain Ron Solo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Captain Ron Solo »

I got my new hat shaper on Friday. Before reporting on the results, I'd like to ask the experienced hatters about how much extra height could I expect to get out of my Akubra? I don't have photos to post right now, because I'm not at home, but I took before shots of the hat and the form. And I took photos of the hat stratched over the block. However, I feel like I should be able to get some extra height in the crown by stretching it, but it seems very resistant to this. The block did remove a good deal of the taper that had resulted over the years, but I'd like to get it an extra half-inch or so taller. Is this possible?
This brings me to the failure that I expreience. This may be common knowledge to some, but it came as an unexpected surprise to me... Apparently, Akubra sweatbands are not made of leather. For almost five years I've had this hat. I just took it for granted that it was leather. It looked like leather, and I had no reason to question it. Anyway, while I was steaming the hat over the boiling pot, I turned away for just a moment to get some juice from the fridge. When I turned back, my hat was crumpled into a nearly unrecognizable clump. The sweatband had shrunk in a matter of seconds to about the size of a bracelet. :?
I quickly grabbed the hat, saw what had happened, and immediately stretched the sweatband back out some and forced the hat over the form. The hat survived, although the sweatband is now only about 3/8" tall in some areas. ](*,) I will no doubt have to get a new one.
Anyway, I thought I'd share. The hat itself turned out fine. I'd like some more height in the crown, and I have to iron out some of the distortion in the brim. So, is it possible to stretch the felt enough to give me the extra half-inch of height I'm looking for?
I will try to get some pics up tonight. :tup:
Ron
Last edited by Captain Ron Solo on Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swcrazyfan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by swcrazyfan »

Captain Ron Solo wrote:I got my new hat shaper on Friday. Before reporting on the results, I'd like to ask the experienced hatters about how much extra height could I expect to get out of my Akubra? I don't have photos to post right now, because I'm not at home, but I took before shots of the hat and the form. And I took photos of the hat stratched over the block. However, I feel like I should be able to get some extra height in the crown by stretching it, but it seems very resistant to this. The block did remove a good deal of the taper that had resulted over the years, but I'd like to get it an extra half-inch or so taller. Is this possible?
This brings me to the failure that I expreience. This may be common knowledge to some, but it came as an unexpected surprise to me... Apparently, Akubra sweatbands are not made of leather. For almost five years I've had this hat. I just took it for granted that it was leather. It looked like leather, and I had no reason to question it. Anyway, while I was steaming the hat over the boiling pot, I turned away for just a moment to get some juice from the fridge. When I turned back, my hat was crumpled into a nearly unrecognizable clump. The sweatband had shrunk in a matter of seconds to about the size of a bracelet. :?
I quickly grabbed the hat, saw what had happened, and immediately stretched the sweatband back out some and forced the hat over the form. The hat survived, although the sweatband is now only about 3/8" tall in some areas. ](*,) I will no doubt have to get a new one.
Anyway, I thought I'd share. The hat itself turned out fine. I'd like some more height in the crown, and I have to iron out some of the distortion in the brim. So, is it possible to stretch the felt enough to give me the extra half-inch of height I'm looking for?
I will try to get som pics up tonight. :tup:
Ron
I can't wait to see the pics!
WeeMadHamish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by WeeMadHamish »

The whole sweatband shrunk? I know that the sweat is attached to a vinyl tape (which is then sewn to the crown), but I thought the sweat itself was actual leather.

As far as getting more crown is concerned, I don't think you can stretch it to get more crown -- I think that would actually encourage it to taper down the road, as it shrinks back down to a more stable size. Rather, you have to sacrifice brim width and iron it into the crown.
Captain Ron Solo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

So, here are some of the pics of my home-reblocked hat, including the sweatband aftermath. Looking at the pics, it's not easy to see much of a difference. I think it looks better on my head, but I didn't get a picture of that. :)

Before:
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m311 ... C03646.jpg
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m311 ... C03645.jpg

With the new form:
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m311 ... C03650.jpg

Just before the sweatband shrank:
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m311 ... C03656.jpg

And after:
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m311 ... C03668.jpg

The sweatband after:

I would still like to get some extra height, if anyone has suggestions.

Ron
Captain Ron Solo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Wee Mad Hamish wrote
The whole sweatband shrunk?
Yep. I'm afraid I didn't get pics of that... I had to move fast to get the hat stretched back over the block. But it did indeed shrink to about the size of my fist. Miller hats is here in town, so I may take the hat to them, and let them put a new sweatband in. I probably wouldn't bother, except that I'm afraid there's not enough sweatband to keep the liner in, when I decide to put it back. :)

Anyway, I had forgotten the topic of this thread...the block. Here's a pic of the hat before with the block.
Overall, I'd say it's a good shape. The rim around the bottom, while presumably giving the hollow plastic block structural strength, might get in the way for those with taller hats to start with. I'm considering filling the form with something, mounting it onto a stand, and getting rid of the rim. Regardless, I'd recommend this form for anyone who is looking for an inexpensive hat block. Once again, this is the straight sided dome form from hatshapers.com, for $33. My hat is a 59cm or 7-3/8, and the medium plus size worked great. :tup:

Ron
Captain Ron Solo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

I've also got a JPD that I got from Coronado3, and I'm debating whether to try trblocking that one. I really like the shape of the brim and the bash, but it's just got some taper, too. I'm fairly certain that the sweatband in the JPD is, in fact leather, so I don't have the shrinkage concerns. :)
If I do decide to do it, I'll take pics of that one, too.

Ron
Captain Ron Solo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Well, I used the form to reblock my JPD this past weekend. The taper was not glaringly obvious from the front, but it was from the side.
Here's a before pic:

On the block:

And After:

It really didn't change the appearance from the front much, apart from making the "humps" more rounded. All in all, I'm pleased with the form, and the ease with which I was able to reblock my hats. I would recommend one of these forms if you're looking for a relatively inexpensive block to do your own hat(s).

Having said that, if you have a hat with greater than 5-1/2" crown height, you may want to look elsewhere, unless you plan to remove the base. :tup:

Ron
Indiana Green
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Green »

Ron Solo,
Did you leave both the sweatband AND the liner in the hat when you reblocked those hats? I'm seriously considering buying a hatshaper and reblocking my hat but I don't want to take apart my hat.

Indy Green
Captain Ron Solo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

I did take the liner out, but left the sweatband in. Turned out to be a mistake in the case of my Akubra (see above). :) However, the leather sweatband of my JPD did just fine. To be honest, I might have gotten better results by getting a size larger block, removing the sweatband, and then reblocking, but I don't have the time nor the sewing prowess to mess with it. :)

Ron
Nicolas Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Nicolas Jones »

I assure you that you can do your own block yourself.
I did mine and it works perfectly.
I'll post a tutorial soon (it is made of plaster and is resin coated).

I did my hat last week, this is quite easy but you need to be patient

Nicolas
Last edited by Nicolas Jones on Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Or you can read another recent hat block tutorial:

viewtopic.php?t=20997

:wink:
Nicolas Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Nicolas Jones »

Yep, I read that post before but it requires some tools and some room.
I did my block in my kitchen with a thick plastic sheet, some tape and a piece of cardbord... easy
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

:lol: If it works, it works! Show away! :wink:
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

Ron, how tall is the Hat Shaper, what size did you order, and how far from the top of the crown are each of the grooves?
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

Ron, nice job. How abour a shot from the front?
Captain Ron Solo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Brody,
I'll have to get back to you on the measurements. I'll be at school until late tonight. I want to say that the entire block is only about 6" tall from the tip of the dome to the base. That's why I thought that some with taller hats may want to remove the base to get extra height. This block probably would not even touch the top of Renderking Fisk's hat. ;)
But I will get exact measurements for you as soon as I can.

Bending Oak,
I'll post some more pics when I get back with the measurements. :tup:

Ron
Captain Ron Solo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Brody,
The shaper is exactly 6" from the top of the dome to the bottom of the base, with the top groove being 4-3/4" from the top.

BendingOak,
Here are some pics of the fedoras from the front.
First, the Federation:

The Jimmy Pierce:

Together:

:tup:

Ron
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

thanks Ron for the pics. It looks like you did a nice job with them. I think I'm cursed with the front shots that everyone post now with the slight tilt down.
Captain Ron Solo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

It is curious how close I came to emulating your avatar shot without even trying. :) I had my wife take a couple of earlier pics, but you couldn't see any of the bash, so I had to bend my knees and tilt down to get a decent shot. I should have used a better camera, too.

Ron
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

Ron, the pics are fine. it just strikes me funny that so many have taken that same shot ( the head tilt down shot). People seem to like my avatar pic but I think most people if they knew why I took it that way would really laugh.
Captain Ron Solo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Well, it is a cool shot. Care to share the story? :)

Ron
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

That would be telling.
Captain Ron Solo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

:)
Luke Warmwater
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luke Warmwater »

Binkmeister and I went to an antiques mall near us this afternoon and found several wooden hat blocks, one of which was just my size. He took a picture which I'm sure he'll post later on.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

They had plenty of blocks for pinheads! :lol: I'll get that pic up soon. :wink: