Now official. Crystal Skull fedoras are ABs.

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

I'm 5'11 and 150 pounds. :) I guess I'm wondering if the style is indeed correct. The new hat is a hybrid of Raiders and LC, with not as tight of a pinch, and the hat was reportedly not as tall, although the recent photo even caught the guys at AB by surprise by the height. How am I doing so far? :)
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Now official. Crystal Skull fedoras are ABs.

Post by gabrielle »

Fedora wrote:Adventurebilt, which consists of me and my buddy Marc Kitter, were chosen last May to make the film hats, after the costumer looked at other hats and hatters and they came up short.
Congrats to you and Marc. With all the effort you 2 have put into Adventurebilt, with all the attention to detail and the work ethic you guys have you both deserve everything you're getting right now. Best of luck with all of it...

I know as soon as I have the money saved I'll be ordering my AB too.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I'm 5'11 and 150 pounds. I guess I'm wondering if the style is indeed correct. The new hat is a hybrid of Raiders and LC, with not as tight of a pinch, and the hat was reportedly not as tall, although the recent photo even caught the guys at AB by surprise by the height. How am I doing so far?
It depends on which scene or pic you are looking at. I have seen the new hat look taller and shorter. Just like in Raiders. :lol: I think it has to do with filming some how or the other.

The original hat as picked by Ford and Bernie was shorter than what Steven picked from watching the costumer test on film. So Steven picked the dimensions and Bernie chose the creases. But, as mentioned prior, the shorter hat with larger brim was accidently sent and used in Hawaii. So, we shall see two crown heights. The shorter one was the original height picked, and then changed my Mr. Spielberg. Fedora
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

Cool info bud. It's always been interesting to me that costumers don't look at that stuff more closely. Maybe they think most people won't notice, but if that's the case, they've never been to Club Obi-Wan. ;)
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

It's always been interesting to me that costumers don't look at that stuff more closely.
I was really surprised that Bernie did not see it right off, because he was so concise and precise when we were making these hats.

But, as I said prior, the mistake was made at Western Costume when the girl who was aging the hats and liners accidently grabbed a sample hat and sent it to Hawaii. Bernie only noticed the slight difference AFTER some scene was shot, and it was too late to change. But, he DID notice it. It was just too late. But, I think this was great irony. He and Ford picked this hat originally, and it made it into the film anyways. Fedora
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

It is indeed ironic; Ford still had it work out for him. That sounds like Indiana Jones to me. :)
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Wait, so I'm 5'8" and 120 lbs, and I'm getting a CS hat - you think it'll look super tall on me??

Shane
Piker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Piker »

5' 9" and 220. I am jealous!!!!!
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

I'm 5 '11 and 150; not sure how the CS hat will look on me, but I can't wait to find out!
michaelb
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by michaelb »

5' 6", 162 lbs! :roll:

Just got mine. Looks great, and the wife says so as well... But, I think I got you guys beat by being shorter and heavier, proportionally that is...

MB
Whipmaster18
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

im new here

Post by Whipmaster18 »

Hello there,
My name is Chris Ferguson, i am new to this forum. First of all, congrats to Adventurebuilt for making the hats for the movie, i cant wait to see it!! Since im new to the forum, maybe someone can help me? I just want to know how i post my own messages on the forum. Any help?

Chris Ferguson
Whipmaster18
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

Mr. Z wrote:I'm 5 '11 and 150; not sure how the CS hat will look on me, but I can't wait to find out!
I'm 5' 11" and 165, and I've never felt like the raiders hat is tall or anything....Its really on personal preference though.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

The CS fedora is the same height as the hats Bernie had on hand from the other films. We had Bernie to measure the film hats he had and the open crowns were 5 1/2, not shorter as some have postulated here in the past. The hats creased down to right at 5 inches tall at the highest point on the sides.

There was a time when working on the prototype that a shorter crown was chosen, 5 1/4 to be exact. With a bigger brim than what we ended up making in the end. But, the costumer test that was filmed by Steven made him pick a taller hat, the 5 1/2 open crown model with the original brim specs that was given by Swales initially years ago. Swales later changed those specs when talking with some of us. The specs Swales gave someone many years ago, taken from the old Indy Diggs website, was 70mm by 65mm. The brim specs then grew as time passed. To the 2 7/8 by 2 5/8. I look forward to the new film because I will be able to tell if what we cut the brims looks like the other hats in width on the sides. Fedora
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

This is really cool information. Thanks Steve!

p.s. I hope this means it will look good on a guy my size. :wink:
Fedoraman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fedoraman »

I am confused here - I know and believe Steve, but "Pony R" on Ren's site posted some text from "Reelz" website that states that Barons had to reshape and reblock ALL the hats supplied by Steve at the last minute to make them look more authentic.

Is this just just more Baron's BS or what????
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

Whoa. That's gotta be B.S., I would think.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Fedoraman wrote:I am confused here - I know and believe Steve, but "Pony R" on Ren's site posted some text from "Reelz" website that states that Barons had to reshape and reblock ALL the hats supplied by Steve at the last minute to make them look more authentic.

Yep. More Baron BS. Steve's told us that not true, and besides the fact that I trust the guy completely, we have the costumer for KCS raving about how great Steve was to work with. Do you think he'd be doing that if he had to get all of the hats steve gave him fixed? :junior: -M
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

Fedoraman wrote:I am confused here - I know and believe Steve, but "Pony R" on Ren's site posted some text from "Reelz" website that states that Barons had to reshape and reblock ALL the hats supplied by Steve at the last minute to make them look more authentic.

There's a lot going on right now on my end with a few phone calls and messages - I'll keep you all posted.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

We have straightened out all the Baron's claims as in previous threads…possibly even this one.

We all know that Steve and Marc made the hats for the films and Baron's had a hand in helping reshape some hats once they arrived to Bernie and supplied boxes for storing the hats for the film.

ALL TALK OF ANY 'WRONG DOING' ON THE PART OF BARON'S OR ANY SLAMMING TOWARDS THEM STOPS NOW. NO FURTHER WARNINGS.

Mike
Fedoraman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fedoraman »

Sorry - BS was not the best way of saying what I intended - I apologize.

The claim that got my interest was the REBLOCK and reshape statement.

That has all kinds of implications - the block is what makes the hat what it is. Taper and all the other ugliness that happens over time can be accounted for by the felt quality, but the block is the look, at least initially, and if one is after the absolute look of the new hero fedora's (longevity of the look notwithstanding), that could send ALOT of business to Baron's...
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

There's no issue being closed here. We ALL know Steve and Marc supplied the hats. As Steve has stated in the 'other place to look', Michaelson and I were in on all the details from the beginning. We've repeatedly stated what Baron's involvement was and back that. This is not what's being moderated. However, slams against Barons that can lead to suits coming against this site will not be tolerated.

I've warned 'the other place' that said conversation should also be closely monitored as well as I'm sure anything that hints at liable that can't be backed up…i.e. blanket statements made by fans who were not part of the process…should be moderated.

If that place chooses to ignore warnings and find themselves in hot water, so be it. It's not on my head.
Piker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Piker »

We all know who the "Peter Keating" :twisted: is and who the "John Gault" :wink: is in all this anyway.
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

My appologies if I came across as slanderous. :oops:
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

So FC does EVERYTHING ELSE? And here I thought they only did hats and vintage clothing. ;)
Piker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Piker »

Ark Hunter wrote:So FC does EVERYTHING ELSE? And here I thought they only did hats and vintage clothing. ;)
Yep. even leather teddies!! :shock:

http://thefedorachronicles.com/forum/vi ... =10&t=3571
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

Mr. Z wrote:My appologies if I came across as slanderous. :oops:
You didn't do anything wrong - you reacted in a manner based on what you knew at the time.

Your reaction is what any normal, passionate person would have done or said at the time.
Ark Hunter wrote:So FC does EVERYTHING ELSE? And here I thought they only did hats and vintage clothing. ;)
If you wear a fedora and you want to write about anything that you do, share your beliefs, or share a memory - The FC is for that. The word "Chronicles" is very important to us.

There are other sites - like this one - that does all aspects of of Vintage Clothing better then us. I'll admit that. All we wanted to do is provide a place for people to tell their stories.

If you collect stamps or butterflies and you happen to also be "into" that era, I'll create space for you to share your passion. If Mike Marosy wanted to vent about me and what a pain I am - I'll provide space for him.

It's not a Indyfan page - it's a fan page about you and all of us. You're the hero.

Now, I've invited both parties over to my place to hammer this this out and discuss this in an adult manner. Baron's and Adventurebilt. BOTH sides can have their say. If they want to chat like gentlemen or fight like barbarians - that's up to them.

I strongly believe that people here should be allowed to know where this debate is and read it for themselves. If someone says something that's not true or unfair about your friend or aquantance then you should either speak up for them or let both sides have their say.

With that said - we're not affiliated with any site, period. We don't want anyone to get into trouble for what we say on our site. Mike Marosy is in the clear about this issue. He's done his job and he gets my respect and my salute.

I invite the conflict and hope there can be some resolution to this because I want what's best for my friends and fellow fedora wearers. How is that a bad thing?
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

RF- you rock
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

Thanks RF. :)
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Renderking Fisk wrote:Now, I've invited both parties over to my place to hammer this this out and discuss this in an adult manner. Baron's and Adventurebilt. BOTH sides can have their say. If they want to chat like gentlemen or fight like barbarians - that's up to them.

I strongly believe that people here should be allowed to know where this debate is and read it for themselves. If someone says something that's not true or unfair about your friend or aquantance then you should either speak up for them or let both sides have their say.
Ren,

I have heard what Baron's had to say on some interviews that I have seen. I forget his name, I think it is Mark, whatever. Quite frankly, I don't care to ever hear him speak again, and that would be too soon.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

If Mike Marosy wanted to vent about me and what a pain I am - I'll provide space for him.
Nah, we have our own place to do that. :?

Was this mike on!!!??? :shock: :lol: :wink:

Regard! Michaelson
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Bufflehead Jones wrote:
Renderking Fisk wrote:Now, I've invited both parties over to my place to hammer this this out and discuss this in an adult manner. Baron's and Adventurebilt. BOTH sides can have their say. If they want to chat like gentlemen or fight like barbarians - that's up to them.

Ren,

I have heard what Baron's had to say on some interviews that I have seen. I forget his name, I think it is Mark, whatever. Quite frankly, I don't care to ever hear him speak again, and that would be too soon.
Although I'd like to see Steve confront this liar, I have to agree with you Buff. I don't really want to hear anything Baron has to say, much less buy anything from them. :junior: -M
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I talked to Bernie yesterday. He called me to check on how many hats we actually sent for the film itself, excluding the gift hats. And he wanted a brown hat count, as he was about to do another interview I think and wanted to get it right. The issue with Mark came up, and Bernie again told me Mark had helped in recreasing the prototype hats, to Bernie's specs in the early stages of creating the right hat for Bernie. Bernie told me that he was mostly concerned with creasing the hat to fit Ford's face, or what he thought looked the best. Bernie already liked the LC creases and that was pretty much what he was gonna go with. Here is a pic of an early prototype as creased by either me or Marc, when we were first trying to give Bernie a LC crease. As you can see, we were still trying to push sort of a Raiders look on him, which he did not buy. :lol: But we can be forgiven as we are gear guys and our fav hat has always been the Raiders fedora. Here is a pic from Western Costume of how the hat started out....

Bernie then took this hat along with probably 5 others to Barons to work on the creases, with Mark's help.

In the meantime, Bernie had sent me a pic of Ford from some scenes in TLC, to use as a model, and told us to make the top of the front pinch tighter, and to push the side creases back farther. He tweaked this crease job and this is what he finally came up with.

As you can see, it is definetely TLC look, but with our straight sided blockshape.

Bernie than sent me the hat fitted to Ford to use as a 3 D model to crease the film hats to, once he had settled on the creases that he felt looked the best on Harrison.

I think this is a good illustration of where we started, and where we ended in the Crystal Skull fedora. It is also a "first" for the folks interested in Indy's hats. We never had an insider making the hats for the prior films. This time, we do. :D And there are two of us. Regards, Fedora
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

Bravo Steve !

What a great Story and insight. You are the man, again !

Greatest regards
Ken
Ozraptor
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Ozraptor »

That's really interesting. I'm glad Bernie didn't go for as much of a 'cowboy hat' look with regards the sides of the brim, and the degree of upwards curl—is it just me, or does the hat in LC look incongruous with a suit because of that 'cowboy curl'? It makes it look less like a dressy hat to my eyes.

Steve, do you know if they distressed the CS hat much? Except for the Fuller's Earth it looks very new in many of the promo shots. The very least they should have done would be to sit on it a few times, and scrunch it up into a ball.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Steve, do you know if they distressed the CS hat much? Except for the Fuller's Earth it looks very new in many of the promo shots. The very least they should have done would be to sit on it a few times, and scrunch it up into a ball.
The hats were sent by me to Western Costume, where a girl aged them(whatever that means) and sent them directly to the film site, to Bernie.

In the new film, you will see the hat fairly new looking, as well as aged and dirty. By the way, the one odd hat that accidently got sent along with the 'chosen" hat was actually noticed, and then used again when Indy goes inside "something" that was filmed on a set in LA. Bernie had to save that one odd hat to use again for continuty since the brim was a bit larger.(1/8 an inch larger) So, when you see Indy with a little more brim outside, you will see the same hat inside. This shows just how picky Bernie was with these hats. And his concern with continuity of 'looks' with the hat. Fedora
Cassidy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Cassidy »

Fedora wrote:The hats were sent by me to Western Costume, where a girl aged them(whatever that means)
Couple of girls over the years have aged me, that's for sure. :lol:

I'm sure I speak for many when I say we appreciate the insights you're sharing with us leading up to May 22nd, Steve.

Oh, what hat does Indy wear during his wedding sequence?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Oh, what hat does Indy wear during his wedding sequence
Nice try, Lao Che, er, Cassidy! :lol:

Regard! Michaelson
Cassidy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Cassidy »

Michaelson wrote:
Oh, what hat does Indy wear during his wedding sequence
Nice try, Lao Che, er, Cassidy! :lol:

Regard! Michaelson
Busted! 8)
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

This may be a joke that I'm not aware of, but I hope it isn't a spoiler!!!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

A joke. Our old friend Cassidy was just 'fishing'.... :lol: :D

Regards! Michaelson
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

Phew; thank goodness! :oops:
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

One of the our Danish members once told me an AWESOME start on CS. It starts out with the Paramount mountain as always and fades into a terribly tapered Fedora, worn by a REALLY angry Indy during a mild downpour. He's heading directly into the next hat shop in NH, asking for the BEST hat possible and something that will hold up to be worn as it should. The lady smiles and tells him, that she's got EXACLY what he wants. A handcrafted, pure beaver Fedora: the AB :wink:

Though we will never see this, alone the thought of this opening scenes still makes me smile.

Regards,

Marc
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

:lol: That would be great!
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

That should be for Indy V. :D
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Here is the best AB I have seen so far, or one of them.

The long side dents that Bernie put in get pushed forward in the action, and the hat gets more to what Marc and I wanted to give them!!! No taper in this baby here! Pushing those side dents back really changes the looks of the hat. Fedora
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Quicksand, why did it have to be quicksand! Indy's lost his whip and gun belt too!
Fedoraman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fedoraman »

GADZOOKS! Is it just me or does HF look like he is about 80 in that shot? The pants look brand new as well...

Hat looks aces but the rest, I dunno - Grampa Indy and his boy...starting to get nervous again.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I like what Ford said in a recent interview, although I would not be able to quote that here. He used some off color language. But, he basically said, "what's the big deal on my age. You are older, most everyone is."

By the way, the photo of him on the new ET mag is really good. Looks much, much younger in that photo. Still wears the same size clothes too. Not bad. Fedora
Fedoraman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fedoraman »

He has certainly stayed in good physical condition for a guy his age - but when I see him age, it reminds me that I am not as young as I used to be either :cry:

The thing that makes me nervous about the film is the believability factor goes waaaaaay down with an old, grampa Indy. Admittedly, the whole series is an excercise in suspension of disbelief, but a 65 year old guy dodging bullets and beating the tar out much younger guys is hard to swallow.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Well, I can at least state that I'm as in bad a shape now, physically, as I was in 1981......just heavier. :roll: No where to go BUT up! :lol: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson