Pros and Cons of US Wings

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

nicetrylaoche
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Pros and Cons of US Wings

Post by nicetrylaoche »

I just bought a US Wings goatskin jacket, and I was wondering if anyone who has ever owned multiple jackets or any US Wings jacket could tell me what they think...

I'd like to know the public opinion of the high points of the US Wings jacket, as well as the low's...

Also, as for screen accuracy, I'm not one that has to dot every "i" to ensure spot on accuracy, but just out of curiosity, how does US Wings compare to Wested and some of the others? (in case I want to buy another...)

Don't worry, I'll post pics as soon as it arrives. Thanks and God bless!
-Zack
ztmario
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Pros and Cons of US Wings

Post by ztmario »

nicetrylaoche wrote:I just bought a US Wings goatskin jacket, and I was wondering if anyone who has ever owned multiple jackets or any US Wings jacket could tell me what they think...

I'd like to know the public opinion of the high points of the US Wings jacket, as well as the low's...

Also, as for screen accuracy, I'm not one that has to dot every "i" to ensure spot on accuracy, but just out of curiosity, how does US Wings compare to Wested and some of the others? (in case I want to buy another...)

-Zack
lol isn't that a question you ask BEFORE you buy the jacket?

anyway, as far as I've read, the lows of the USW are that they're not the most SA, they're hit and miss as far as fitting, and even when they DO fit, it isn't the fit most people are looking for (the USW regular has longer measurements than a wested tall size..). the hi points are that they're generally well made, durable jackets, cheaper than the G&B and still made in the USA, look awesome, and they do at least have a lineage.. they made the ToD jacket.

hope that helps.
nicetrylaoche
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Pros and Cons of US Wings

Post by nicetrylaoche »

ztmario wrote:
nicetrylaoche wrote:I just bought a US Wings goatskin jacket, and I was wondering if anyone who has ever owned multiple jackets or any US Wings jacket could tell me what they think...

-Zack
lol isn't that a question you ask BEFORE you buy the jacket?

Well, I found this jacket for a steal, and in my size, and it just looked so amazing I just couldn't resist myself...I got it for less than half the price of a new one off the site...but I do see what you're saying...I guess I just have that disease...you know...that disease where you just can't resist giving up all your money for gear time and time again...anyways, that did help, but what are some of the aspects of the jacket that are not screen accurate? Thanks
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

My first Indy Jacket was a Wested in lambskin, but I'd heard so many things about how great goatskin is I wanted to try it. I picked up a Wings jacket in goatskin about a year ago when they had a dirt cheap sale going on.

Overall I thought it was an okay jacket, but not as nice or as well made as the Wested, and the quality of the leather seemed lacking as well. Whereas the Wested was buttery soft, supple, yet still tough, the Wings jacket felt very thin, stiff and brittle, like if it had been wrinkled too much the leather would crack or tear.

Here's the two side-by-side:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v430/ ... 588187.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v430/ ... aec1db.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v430/ ... 7748eb.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v430/ ... f04235.jpg

As for screen accuracy, I'm not too big of a stickler either, but here's what I know:
The zipper is on the "American" side.
The collar stand doesn't go all the way out over the top of the storm flap.
The side straps are woefully short, and too low, and have D-rings.
Most have a three-piece sleeve, and some larger sizes even have a two-piece back!
The back panel is square, without a subtle taper towards the bottom.

Actually, most of these didn't bother me, but the length of the jacket and the short side straps really prevented my jacket from fitting properly. The leather just felt weird, and didn't seem durable at all. I would have easily overlooked all the screen accuracy shortcomings if it had just fit better and felt better.

But it didn't, so I sold it. I'll probably end up being buried in my Wested.
INDIANA_7
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by INDIANA_7 »

PRO'S- It's not a Wested and won't fall apart.

CON'S- There are none. These US Wings jackets deserve far more recognition than they normally get.

I just received my US Wings KOTCS version today and like my other wings jackets, it ranks right up there with G&B and the quality can't be matched.

Best regards,
Indiana 7
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

Pro: Awesome Indy Jacket ( sorry G., "Adventure jacket")

Con: I don't have one.
Arca Perdida
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Arca Perdida »

WinstonWolf359 wrote: Most have a three-piece sleeve, and some larger sizes even have a two-piece back!
My understanding is that those modifications were only present on the imports/clearance sale from last year. The current, US-made ones have 2-piece sleeves and no seam down the back. But if you get lambskin, make sure to ask, as I've heard it's sometimes necessary to use multiple pieces to construct the jacket due to the animals being small.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Well, I picked up a second hand Wings in black goatskin, after owning a Lambskin Wested for a year.

PRO: The fit was better on the off-the-rack Wings than the custom Wested, for starters.

PRO: I know the Indy jacket is supposed to be short, but Wings gives it a length that won't look silly on 50% of the population. Big plus in my book.

CON: I'm not nuts about the wide collar stand, but that's a small quibble when looking at a jacket that has presented nothing else to complain about. (That's a big "pro" mixed in!)

CON: If I want to stretch my criticism, I can say that I've encountered nicer goatskin. On a G&B... I'd rather get a custom Magnoli at that price. Oh, wait! I did. :lol:

Overall, after about 7 months with the Wings, I have no regrets.
ortiz344
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ortiz344 »

To me, i really hate the wings collars, they just aint right.
Wings tend to be thicker heavier, more of a cold weather jacket , as wested tend to be more of a summer/fall one...
nicetrylaoche
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by nicetrylaoche »

WinstonWolf359 wrote:Overall I thought it was an okay jacket, but not as nice or as well made as the Wested, and the quality of the leather seemed lacking as well. Whereas the Wested was buttery soft, supple, yet still tough, the Wings jacket felt very thin, stiff and brittle, like if it had been wrinkled too much the leather would crack or tear.
Now these two jackets you're comparing are the Wested lambskin and the US Wings Goatskin right??? From what I've read, it seems even the Wested goatskin is not as "buttery" but seems as tough as nails, possibly stiff...If stiffness is one of the only problems (besides the SA details) then I'm not worried because I plan on wearing this jacket out! I hope to give it a natural predistressing buttwhoopin'...

Thanks for all the help guys! I'm thinking about ordering the Special Edition Cowhide Adventurer Jacket, but waiting for my Large Goatskin to get in before I decide on ordering and sizing. Thanks again!
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

The tweaks made to the US Wings jacket aren't that many since the ToD days. They're listed in another thread not too long ago around here in Jackets. Here's my pro and con...

The PRO: made by the people that made the ToD jacket, and has a great sturdy construction.

The only CON: Off the rack sizing, that's the only thing I can think of. They run in the standard S-M-L-XL, etc, but if it fits you, it's a great jacket.

I've had great luck with both US Wings I've owned. The goatskin (which I still have) is fantastic and solid as nails. I sold my first distressed cowhide a while ago, but have the new Indy IV leather cowhide shipping today. I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't like and trust US Wings. They're great to deal with and I stand by them 100%.
Last edited by Minnesota Jones on Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

nicetrylaoche wrote: Thanks for all the help guys! I'm thinking about ordering the Special Edition Cowhide Adventurer Jacket, but waiting for my Large Goatskin to get in before I decide on ordering and sizing. Thanks again!
Well, before you put in your order, you may want to call them first:

viewtopic.php?t=28277

Regards! Michaelson
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I seem to recall that U.S. Wings' regular distressed Cowhide looked almost exactly like the limited edition. So, if it's just the look you want, the limited being sold out won't be much of a problem.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Agreed. The biggest thing going for the 'limited' is the provenance. The quality of the already existing pre-distressed cowhide has long been established, and in stock.

Regards! Michaelson