Wested wait times?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

ztmario
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Wested wait times?

Post by ztmario »

ok, here's the story.. I just sold my goatskin expo for $300 (which I think was very nice of me, btw :wink: ) and I was going to turn around and use the money to buy a new jacket. at first, the plan was to buy a used USW vintage cowhide I saw on ebay.. I figured I could get it for about $150 and use the rest of the money to put towards a custom wested. well.. I bid a max of $175 for the USW and it sold for $225 so I'm beat out of that. now I'm leaning towards a brand new cowhide from USW but for $360 that's a lot of money considering the only reason I'm not DEFINITELY getting the wested is that I want the jacket for the 22nd.

I know I can just buy a wested off the rack and have it in two weeks, but if I'm gonna get a wested, I want it to be a custom.. a LC and the predistressed cowhide. and I want it to fit the way I like it.. looong sleeves and shorter body. I really have no interest in a shiny new lambskin off the rack wested.. I just won't wear it outside of as a costume piece.

so I either spend the $360 for a USW and get it in time.. or buy the custom wested and not have it for the 22nd.. UNLESS of course, you guys have been getting custom jackets sooner than that? I've already emailed wested, and am waiting for a response on wait times. it's weird because gemma said they can do an off the rack in a long size in two weeks. isn't that technically custom?? I'm assuming that a fully custom jacket will take longer. so.. how long has it taken you guys to get customs from wested lately?
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

the wait time is five weeks, plus a coupleof days to ship it across the pond. that is if they have the leather in stock... they just got a load of vintage cowhide in last week, because my jacket took six weeks, waiting on leather...
ztmario
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ztmario »

so it wouldn't make it. hmm.. that kind of *****, but I guess it's my own fault. I think I'm going to order one up anyway, because I can't understand paying $360 for a jacket just as a place holder. yours is the cowhide? any pics up?
PETER
Vendor

Post by PETER »

For custom Jackets we aim for 21 days and most leave within that time frame. Off the peg can despatch from day 0ne to 2 weeks depending on stock levels.
At this time, despite the demands our stock levels are pretty good and that has been easing the pressure on custom jackets.
Cheers
Peter
Rom Hunter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Rom Hunter »

Great to hear this, Peter.

I'm looking forward to the day my custom jacket arrives.

8)
Adey
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Adey »

my custom wested took about 12 days to arrive, and i love it
ztmario
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ztmario »

PETER wrote:For custom Jackets we aim for 21 days and most leave within that time frame. Off the peg can despatch from day 0ne to 2 weeks depending on stock levels.
At this time, despite the demands our stock levels are pretty good and that has been easing the pressure on custom jackets.
Cheers
Peter
thanks peter, just placed the order. if it comes before the 22nd, I'll be a happy camper.

one thing though.. I didn't get the 80's cut because every picture I've seen of someone with that cut, the back is tapered in a lot. is this because of the cut, or is it because of them tightening their side straps to excess? I don't really want a tapered jacket, but I REALLY don't want the jacket to be very loose in the body. not sure what to do..
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

...counting the days...- I ordered April 1st.
I think I'm more anxious than I ever was waiting for Christmas to come!
SR5150
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by SR5150 »

I ordered mt ROLA special before Xmas (42R on the shelf).

Ordered on Friday: Arrived Tuesday as I recall.

Can't ask for more than that.

Steve
AdaminNYC
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by AdaminNYC »

Now is this 21 business days, or calendar days? My personal opinion is that Peter should work 7 days a week. A 14 hour day sounds appropriate. This is the land of Charles Dickens, is it not?

Of course, once the custom cowhide bound for NYC is in the mail, he can relax and take a well-deserved vacation.
ztmario
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ztmario »

AdaminNYC wrote:Now is this 21 business days, or calendar days? My personal opinion is that Peter should work 7 days a week. A 14 hour day sounds appropriate. This is the land of Charles Dickens, is it not?

Of course, once the custom cowhide bound for NYC is in the mail, he can relax and take a well-deserved vacation.
you did pre-distressed cowhide or novapelle?
AdaminNYC
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by AdaminNYC »

Actually, I put in a request for natural, undistressed cowhide.

I got one in pre-distressed, and it is an absolutely wonderful jacket. I just have some kind of mental block against pre-distressed hide. I look down at that leather and I think "this is not genuine." I can't get past it.

I'll probably be selling it on eBay when my new one arrives. I'll let you guys know first, in case anyone is a 40s.
ztmario
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ztmario »

AdaminNYC wrote:Actually, I put in a request for natural, undistressed cowhide.

I got one in pre-distressed, and it is an absolutely wonderful jacket. I just have some kind of mental block against pre-distressed hide. I look down at that leather and I think "this is not genuine." I can't get past it.

I'll probably be selling it on eBay when my new one arrives. I'll let you guys know first, in case anyone is a 40s.
is there any chance you can post some pics of the leather? the one thing I haven't been able to find through searching is any pics of the pre-distressed wested cow. all I found was speculation that it was the same hide as the wolverine jacket, and a picture of that. pre-distressed cow was my first choice, but I went with the nova because that's all I could find information on. definitely would like to see some good shots of the hide while I still have time to change my mind..
AdaminNYC
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by AdaminNYC »

That's part of the problem with the pre-distressed; I don't think it photographs very well with a flash. Take a look at this pic:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7 ... =560926931
It looks kind of acid-washed, right?

I'll try to get a good sunlight photo of the leather this weekend.