Rockport Farnum Boots From Baragain Outfitters - Pics added!

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

IndyWannaBee
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Rockport Farnum Boots From Baragain Outfitters - Pics added!

Post by IndyWannaBee »

Just signed my name on Mr. UPS Mans electronic thingie, slipped off my Work America boots, put on my Rockports and MAN OH MAN! I feel like I am walking on a cloud.

Lightweight, good construction, comfortable, no digging into the lower shin and calf muscles, nice color, and a great vintage look.

I will definitely try some distressing on these guys to lighten them but they really don't need it!

I was torn at first due to the seam along the front but now I am very convinced that these are the best set of shoes (outside of Alden's that I don't own........yet!) that I have ever purchased. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by IndyWannaBee on Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

;0

I've never gotten to use that one yet.
IndyWannaBee
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyWannaBee »

Drats! Victim of the ole TTIWWIP Smilies!

I am at work so all in good time my dear man....all in good time! Tonight!!!
Vaderbreath
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Vaderbreath »

I hear ya. I've been wearing mine non-stop for the last four days, and they look like I've had them for 15 years. Comfortable as heck too. For that price, I know that this was the best deal for a pair of boots I've ever had.

-Corey
IndianaSVT
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaSVT »

What color did y'all get? I havn't really seen any dark tans in the light or without any brown polish. How do the dark chocolates lok after some wear on them?
IndyWannaBee
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyWannaBee »

OK Indys! Here are my Dark Chocolate RF! I paid $52.00 with $5.00 coupon. I decided to pay for the second day air because I couldn't wait!

I would like to add some lighter spots in key areas but the leather is treated with some type of waterproofing sealant. Alcohol and sandpaper do not seem to do the trick. Need to figure this out!

Links:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b360/ ... resize.jpg
IndyWannaBee
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyWannaBee »

Day 2 - Wearing the RF on the 2nd day I have noticed that they do start to hurt a little bit in the heel area. Probably laced up too tight. Readjusting the laces and they are more comfortable. Not good to wear them on long drives though.

I tested an area for distressing and the fine sandpaper did the job. I had to remove the surface layer of whatever sealer that was used on the leather until I got down to a lighter color. Need to finish off both boots and add some Pecards brown. Need to buy Pecards first though!!!
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I noticed the heal "pain" with mine too. Of course I really haven't had the chance to wear mine that much or break them in. I REALLY hope that goes away....:shock:

Does anyone know if inserts would correct that problem?
Vaderbreath
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Vaderbreath »

I too had a bit of heal pain, but after a few days it went away. I can't say that will be everyone's experience, but now they are so comfortable I don't want to take them off.

-corey
sneakertinker
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sneakertinker »

I have had other pairs of Rockports in the past (Not this model) and have also experienced the above-mentioned heel pain. While it's initially there after a while it just goes away. Just a break in kinda thing in my opinion.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Is it due to slippage, or is the top of the boot thicker than the side, causing more pressure at that location?

Regards! Michaelson
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Well, mine aren't slipping. They fit perfect. I've noticed though that when you lace them up all the way they pinch a little bit and then after wearing the boots around for a little bit I noticed the heal pain. :?

I haven't wore the boots around long enough to really break them in either. So going by the latest replies I'm guessing that's the problem. ;)
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

I must ask about sizing. I'm going to be ordering some Farnums in the next few weeks [hopefully! [-o< ] And was wondering if they run large, small, or dead on? I've heard on other threads they run large? What's the running opinion amongst Farnum owners?
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I wear a size 13 and I ordered a size 13 and they fit me just right. :)
IndyWannaBee
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyWannaBee »

I bought 8.5EE which is wide. Yes I know small feet! Well you know what they say about a man with small feet...............small shoes.

They are a bit large on me but I think it is where the toe ends at where the shoe starts to curve into the tip. My big toe sits about 1/2 inch away from the end of the shoe tip. Still fits great and today I have been walking around with them here in Santa Barbara, CA all day!!!
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Do the toes get really pointy then? I don't want to look like I'm wearing Beatle boots.
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

I got my boots in 10.5 where I normally wear a 11. I also got mine from Bargain Outfitters, no coupon but that's okay. Came to $68 with shipping. Better than some sites that had it for $100+.
IndyWannaBee
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyWannaBee »

Day Five - Love these boots...so much I have been wearing them almost everyday to work. Most of my co-workers keep asking me if they are the only shoes that I own except two real archeologist type coworkers. They know what I'm doing.

They are getting nice and scuffed up! Still need some Pecards to get them cleaned up at some point in the distressing!

If you can get these boots get them! They are probably as close to comfort as Aldens and I don't even own Aldens..........yet! :D