Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Spatterdash
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Black Goatskin Options?

Post by Spatterdash »

Okay, here's the deal.

I haven't had a new leather jacket in a decade. I look at the wardrobe and realize I really need a black Indy, there's only so much dark brown a man can take.
I need a black, and why settle for lamb? I need a black goatskin. No problem, I've seen 'em around, especially the really nice ones at US Wings. Heard good things about the durability and look. I was already a happy customer, as I own one of their khaki bush jackets. I'm good to go, right?

They're discounting their black goatskin. One of the MOST popular skins, one of the MOST popular colors for leatherwear, and they're canning it.
The few still left are for people about 3 sizes larger than me, or two sizes smaller. Really tears me up. I can have an indy jacket, sure, in one of 5 or 6 different hides, all the same frikkin' color.
Yeah, I'm a little upset. I consider a leather jacket an investment, something to budget for, not a whimsical "buy it while you can!" purchase.

So, cautious of stories about weak stitching and size problems, I started checking into Wested's site. I knew Wested has always had a variety of hides to offer, and construction was in-house, so I figured I had a better chance. No, no black goatskin. They offer black in most of their other skins, but the one EVERBODY wants? Nope, nothin'.
I figured they may be willing to discuss it, so I wrote them. First email was in November 2007. There have been two others since.
I won't do business with a company that ignores me.

So that leaves me with G&B, flightsuits.com... for $150 more than the other two companies?
Is there no place I can a find an economical black goatskin for less than $400? Is there someplace I've forgotten or haven't noticed in my searches?
Michigan Smith
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Michigan Smith »

I would email or call Wested. They make all kinds of different leather stuff other than just Indy jackets, and may have black goat but just not listed as an Indy jacket option. Although Peter did just post the other day that he was limiting what he would do on "special order" basis.
Spatterdash
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Spatterdash »

Thanks Michigan, I appreciate the suggestion, but like I said, I've emailed Wested a total of three times since Nov of last year and I've never received a reply.
That leaves a real sour taste, ya know? I was willing to ignore all the other stories and reports and give the original maker a shot, but if he is so busy he can't say "yes, I have it" or "No, sorry, I suggest A or B or whatever" than I can only assume he'd rather not do business.

On another note, I called and talked to Laurie at USWings, just to make sure no stone went unturned. She was very surprised at my want of a black and sympathetic that I'd been budgeting for this for some time, but as many of you showed black jackets on this forum, overall sales apparently weren't worth it to someone over there.

So, I asked her to consider something a little different... I asked her if she would be willing to ask Sarge to ask Michaelson to do a poll here about horsehide Indy jackets. I askewd out of self-interest of course. If I can't get a black goat, I'll hope the Sarge can offer black and brown horsehide.

We'll see what happens.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Why me? You can put up a poll and see what folks think! :D

I'll be glad to help if you need me, of course....

Regards! Michaelson
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I don't think they purposely ignore people, their spam filter seems to go on the fritz from time to time.

That being said Magnoli seems to have loads of different leathers at his disposal so you might try him.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

His quality is top drawer too!

Regards! Michaelson
Spatterdash
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Spatterdash »

Michaelson,

I figured you had a much better relationship with Sarge, and I also didn't want to step on any toes, i.e., conducting a poll about a merchant without a merchant's heads up. Remember, it was Laurie I spoke to, not Sarge, and I'd want a green light from him before stepping up to the plate.
Spatterdash
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Spatterdash »

KT,
Yeah, I like Magnoli's stuff, but he's even more than an Expedition from G&B.
That was half the point, affordability.

I know, I'm complaining and venting (and I thank you all for your indulgence) it's just that there WERE black goatskins in my price range, and now that I have money in hand, now that I'm ready to go... there are none.

It's a little nauseating, and I feel kinda shafted, ya know?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Spatterdash wrote:Michaelson,

I figured you had a much better relationship with Sarge, and I also didn't want to step on any toes, i.e., conducting a poll about a merchant without a merchant's heads up. Remember, it was Laurie I spoke to, not Sarge, and I'd want a green light from him before stepping up to the plate.
Understood! Oh, and you're not stepping on anyone's toes at all! :lol:

I'll see if I hear anything from them on this then.

Regards! Michaelson
Michigan Smith
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Michigan Smith »

Missed the part about 3 prior tries to contact Wested, sorry. I too have little patience for inadequate customer service, but I also understand Wested is a small family run/own type business, in a foreign country no less, so I would not necessarily give up on them. They seem to have frequent internet/computer/email troubles. I wonder what kind of feedback Nowak is going to have after people plunk down 4 digits on a jacket and everything is not exactly perfect (real or perceived).
Spatterdash
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Spatterdash »

Well, apparently I'm wrong about G&B as well.

(EDIT.........)

Nope, spoke too soon. Got good news on that account.

G&B offer the Expedition at Flightsuits.com in standard seal brown. anything else is considered a custom option, however, the price remains the same.

Say you wanted a Expedition. Gibson & Barnes will likely send you a standard in your size, to make sure it fits and to clarify any changes you might want to make. Some people want a nickel zipper or longer sleeves, those are options G&B will handle without the price of the Expedition changing. Goat right know is $446 + shipping.

One of the changes you can make is asking for black goatskin.
No change in price.
But, it would be non-returnable, as they would consider it non-standard.

What was confusing was that their current catalog only lists a brown color for the expedition. You can get black, same price, but you'd better love it, 'cause it's yours for good.
That's one reason they want you to try the jacket on before finalizing your order.
Last edited by Spatterdash on Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

I have an older black Indy Wested goat. It was my first Wested & I dig on it still. It had the TOD cut with LC pockets. It can hold a lot of gear. The older goat was a lot thicker & much heavier than my newer goat which made it feel rather bullet proof.

Cheers!

Dan
Bemo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bemo »

Well since there is no poll at the moment I'll post my opinion as well. I too have been thinking of a black Indy jacket. My thought was that at the least, perhaps Todd would offer his Standard in black.

Peace.
Spatterdash
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Spatterdash »

****Edited my last comment, now includes specific info on Gibson & Barnes (flightsuits.com) ****