Browning HP Clone

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Browning HP Clone

Post by theinterchange »

I was browsing an online gun auction site for a Browning HP [just to get an idea of price] and the only result I got was a clone by FEG for $399. Was wondering if anyone knew anything about these? Also, how hard are HP's to come by?
carebear
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by carebear »

They're Hungarian IIRC. They were exact clones but I think they now have slightly different internals.

Try the other two big online sites as well and give it some time. I got my Belgian production Hi-Power for about that much.

gunsamerica

gunbroker

auctionarms
Magnum Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Magnum Jones »

I bought on brand new in the late 90's with 2 hi-cap mags for $199.00
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Yeah, try to stay away from the newer FEG's. The older ones are good. Look at the slide lock lever. If it looks like the 1911 style,stay away, those guns aren't parts interchangeable with real HP's,and are weaker in design.
You can find plenty better copies for the same cost,just look around. FN makes a great copy.

TR
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

ok, I'm fairly new to handguns. So, I don't know that much about them. I was leery of the gun but was just curious, and that answered my question about the HP. BTW the clone was on Auction Arms.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

just to be clear.. the HP was a .9mm?
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Yes ;-)

TR
carebear
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by carebear »

theinterchange wrote:just to be clear.. the HP was a .9mm?
Technically it was a 9mm. .9mm would be a safety pin. :D

Common mistake though.

The .32/.38/.45 calibers are in hundreths of an inch, thus the decimal.

As you get into handguns more you'll find out interesting details, like the fact that the .38's are actually .357-ish in diameter.

Marketing people were mucking with the facts even a century ago.
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Don't worry, Interchange,,some of us knew what you meant. ;-) (semantics) :roll:

TR
M1917
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

FEG's

Post by M1917 »

I have one of the FEG's, and it's a very accurate copy of the Browning. The only thing missing is the lanyard loop, which I never had much use for anyway (at least on a semiauto). Of course, mine is one of the earlier ones.
Respectfully,
Fritz
carebear
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by carebear »

Texas Raider wrote:Don't worry, Interchange,,some of us knew what you meant. ;-) (semantics) :roll:

TR
Semantics (and accuracy) are important. You don't want people thinking he's a reporter from a major media outlet or something, do you? :D
IndigoJuliet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndigoJuliet »

.38 and .357 are the same calibre, but putting a .357 in a .38 if you an fit it (the .357 is longer) may well violate your warranty and being able to fire the gun again... *.38 are not designed for the bigger bag, But you can safely put a .38 into a .357

.357 magnums have a much higher load or how would you say simply power, hence the magnum in the name...

a 9mm is slightly small in diameter/calibre.
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by 191145 »

I have an FEG PJK-9HP (this is the model for Browning-correct design) and a Browning HP from 1969. Here they are both shown with the original grips which I actually don't use, in favor of thinner ones. You mentioned Auction Arms which is not the most widely-used site. You'll find more Hi Powers on Gunbroker, along with the FEGs, Inglis's, FMs and Charles Daleys. For the purpose of Indy, ideally you would want a well-used early model or clone thereof with ring hammer. An inexpensive FEG would be perfect for this purpose. Image
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Pardon my misnaming. I'm learning. :D I've mainly been around rifles/shotguns before but am really finding an interest in handguns. Partially because of Indy, but, also because they're sparking my interest period.