cowhide

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

stone
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

cowhide

Post by stone »

hi everyone,I'm new to the website.Can anyone shed anyone light on the pros and cons of cowhide as I am thinking of purchasing one from wested.(Reason I'm thinking cowhide is for durability.) Thanks
bobjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by bobjones »

In my opinion, which is far less educated than many others here, is that cowhide is heavy and absorbs water, while goat is more durable, lighter, and can handle wet weather better.

I am considering a lighter weight coat to go alongside my FQHH Aero, so for me its between lamb and goat...
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well, any hide will absorb water if it's applied long enough, even goatskin.

If you put a coating of leather dressing, like Pecards, it will make it water resistant, and just as resistant to soak through. Just keep in mind, though, NO leather jacket should be considered 'raingear' per se.

Cowhide can be all over the scop in terms of weight, and that's based on how thin it's shaved to make a jacket. I have a Wings VIP that is heavy and the perfect winter blizzard jacket. I've worn it in high wind snow conditions, and it was impervious to the storm.

That said, I have the other end of the scale of a lambtouch cowhide from Wested, and it's as light, if not lighter, than some lambskin jackets I've owned in the past.

Cowhide has been used for centuries to make leather outer garments, and have served their owners well when proper treatement has been applied to keep them loose and supple. It's tough, and a field hide that doesn't have to be babied.

At the moment I own more cowhide jackets than any other hide, and have been pleased with the performance of each.

Regards! Michaelson
stone
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by stone »

Thanks for the advice