Stitching at the hand-warmer area coming undone on my Wested

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

nevrwhere
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Stitching at the hand-warmer area coming undone on my Wested

Post by nevrwhere »

The stitching is coming undone on the hand-warmer area on both sides of my Wested. Now I would have chalked it up to me being too rough on the jacket, but it is happening on both sides of the jacket. The only things that go in those pockets are my hands (without gloves) and keys so it isn't something I am doing as far as I know. It also is coming undone on the top and bottom of each side. I am not flaming Wested, it is a great jacket and I know they are a quality company, but has anyone had anything like this happen to them? And what is the best option for having it fixed? The jacket is around two years old and sits (treated) in my closet for about 7 months of the year. So basically after 10 months of wear, the stitching is coming undone. Help!
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

You'll have people screaming blue murder. It's not the end of the world.

I think the easest thing to do is take it to your local alterations place that says they do leather and get them to tack the pockets top and bottom. Show them how the pockets work to make sure they don't sew them shut :) and maybe ask them to show you the thread to make sure it's a close enough colour match for your taste.

Over here the local dry cleaners will do the job for the equivalent of $10 or so.

I have 3 year old lambskin that I wore a lot for 2 1/2 years dragging a big bundle of keys, mobile phones etc, etc, in and out of the handwarmers – and they are still perfect. But I can see how they could become undone.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

The Gibson & Barnes Expedition has reinforced stitching at stress points. I’m not sure if a Wested does. I’ve never had trouble with stitching on an Expedition. I'd have your jacket repaired locally as well. Cheers

Last edited by Rundquist on Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
INDIANA_7
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by INDIANA_7 »

Stitching coming undone on your wested. I've experienced this numerous times. Typical and to be expected. My solution, buy a jacket from a different maker like Gibson & Barnes, US Wings etc. Those jackets are built to last. They may not be 100% screen accurate but they'll outlast any Wested any day. You can even use the side entry pockets and not worry about the stitching coming apart or even the leather tearing!!. Well worth the price in my opinion.

I had to have the side entry pockets on my Wested sewn shut so they wouldn't continue to tear. I'm just glad I didn't actually ever use those pockets. I could imagine the worse damage if I did.

Best regards,

Indiana 7
Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

That happened to my handwarmer pockets as well. I just got some thread that matched the color and carefully resewed it through the holes. It was rather tricky not going through the liner too, but I got it. When I sent it back to Wested to get the sleeve lining replaced I had them reinforce it as well.

One thing to consider though, don't get thread that is super strong. You would much rather have the thread break than the leather stitch hole rip.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

this has happen to my lamb Wested and I took it to my local Taylor. It took a couple of days and a few dollars. No big deel. Let's not Thor the baby and the bath water out of the tub just yet.
nevrwhere
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by nevrwhere »

I wasn't throwing the baby out with the bath water, I just wanted to know if it was a common problem and how to get it fixed. Isn't that why we have these forums?
Lao Feng
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Lao Feng »

Personally, I had my hand warners pockets sewn shut. My jackets get a real work out in the field and the pockets keep gettijg hung up and snagged on everything from door knobs to bushes to you name it.
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

Rundquist wrote:The Gibson & Barnes Expedition has reinforced stitching at stress points. I’m not sure if a Wested does. I’ve never had trouble with stitching on an Expedition. I'd have your jacket repaired locally as well. Cheers

I agree with Rundquist. My year old 5 month worn Wested Cowhide did the same thing. I love my G&B---- G&B is just plain and simple a superior jacket when it comes to durability. In fact, G&B has a life time gurantee on stitching. PM sent to you nevrwhere.
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

I'm ordering my first Wested and I'm wondering if I should request reinforced stitching on the outside pockets.
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

afrayedknot wrote:I'm ordering my first Wested and I'm wondering if I should request reinforced stitching on the outside pockets.
Or save yourself the hassle and get a G&B.......they come standard with reinforced stitching :twisted:
nevrwhere
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by nevrwhere »

From what I have seen on the forums Afrayedknot, I would definitely request reinforced stitching around the handwarmers. I would also think about trying to get something other than satin on the sleeves too. Sure they make the jacket slide right on, but on the right arm where the elbow bends, the lining on mine is split.
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

nevrwhere wrote:From what I have seen on the forums Afrayedknot, I would definitely request reinforced stitching around the handwarmers. I would also think about trying to get something other than satin on the sleeves too. Sure they make the jacket slide right on, but on the right arm where the elbow bends, the lining on mine is split.
Why request and pay for something that should come standard. It is a $350 dollar jacket after all.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

INDIANA_7 wrote:Stitching coming undone on your wested. I've experienced this numerous times. Typical and to be expected. My solution, buy a jacket from a different maker like Gibson & Barnes, US Wings etc. Those jackets are built to last. They may not be 100% screen accurate but they'll outlast any Wested any day. You can even use the side entry pockets and not worry about the stitching coming apart or even the leather tearing!!. Well worth the price in my opinion.

I had to have the side entry pockets on my Wested sewn shut so they wouldn't continue to tear. I'm just glad I didn't actually ever use those pockets. I could imagine the worse damage if I did.

Best regards,

Indiana 7

this is what I was talking about.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Seems to be reinforced on this jacket.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

There must be another reason those jackets are coming apart then.
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

Rundquist wrote:There must be another reason those jackets are coming apart then.
Cheap Materials :?: :?:
nevrwhere
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by nevrwhere »

I am not sure the materials are cheap Cowboy, none of the thread has broken and the leather is fine, I think it just came undone. Should I PM Peter about it? I read somewhere else his wife has had health issues and as much as I love my jacket, I have no desire to bother him with it if he is experiencing that kind of stress.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

By all means let him know, should spur him to change it if there is actually an inherant problem. It doesn't happen on every jacket. I have had 5, none have had any issue with the handwarmers. (and a couple of those jackets have been through a full washing machine cycle!).

It might just be as simple as using heaftier thread, or thread with more nylon content. Or smacking one particular machinist because they forget to finish the pockets properly!

But as I said before, it really is not worth the hassle or cost to send something all that way. I'm sure it can be fixed locally.
starks_6
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by starks_6 »

My old Wested did this to but on the left hand side. It will get sorted however. Overall I was happy with the jacket quality and Peter and Gemma are really nice people to deal with. I think the important thing to remember is nothing man made is going to always be perfect!
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

starks_6 wrote: I think the important thing to remember is nothing man made is going to always be perfect!
Except a G&B Expo :rolling:
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

The same exact thing happened with my Wested and it was roughly the same age as your jacket, Nevrwhere.

I decided to sell mine and go with a G&B. It's not that I couldn't have had it fixed here in town or anything. I just didn't want to deal with any future problems that might occur with the stitching elsewhere.
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

Kt Templar wrote:Image

Seems to be reinforced on this jacket.
No, like this

Yep, pretty durable with the double stitching. Might need to go triple. But maybe that will cost more. :(
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Rundquist wrote:The Gibson & Barnes Expedition has reinforced stitching at stress points. I’m not sure if a Wested does. I’ve never had trouble with stitching on an Expedition. I'd have your jacket repaired locally as well. Cheers

Why does the left hand side of that pocket flap look twisted or malformed in some way?
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

CM wrote:
Rundquist wrote:
Why does the left hand side of that pocket flap look twisted or malformed in some way?
Shut up :-$

Or I will give you a noogie rub :wink: