I heard from Ken at Camptown hats tonight ....

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

Hi there friends,
I received a nice message from Ken at Camptown Hats tonight, and he said to let everyone here at COW know that he is making lots of phone calls to people who have contacted him about getting a Fieldmaster, and once this trial gets squared away, he should be able to get some things rolling. This is very exciting news, and I am very impressed with Ken's dedication to his customers, as well as the customer service. That is why he is a success in my book. :)
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

Oh, cool. Guess I might be getting a call from him sometime then. Thanks for the info.
IndianaSVT
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaSVT »

That is great to hear. I might get a call from Ken & still don't know what i want my hat to look like. Is it good when your wife says you have become to obsessed with the Raiders hat?
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

Ha, could be. But I can't help it. That Raiders hat is just too darn cool. They shouldn't have made it that cool. Now I'm forced to seek out my own Raiders hat.

I was gonna have Ken bash it that way, but upon the great counsel of this forum, I've decided to bash it myself. The turn seems essential for a good Raiders hat, and it seems like that's something best done while it's on my head, so that way I'll know just how far to turn it. But I will let him dimensionally cut it. I'm too scared to do that myself.

Hope you come to a good decision IndianaSVT. I guess it all boils down to personal preference. Some people don't need the turn. If that's the case you could let Ken bash it to whatever scene you like best. Of course I know that's a hard enough task in itself. :) The temple hat looks great. The Raven Bar hat looks great. The Cairo and truck chase hat looks great. I'd be happy if my hat looked like any one of them.
IndianaSVT
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaSVT »

That's the thing Argo, I like the Cairo hat. But the only i could really be happy with it is if it was turned, beat up & in need of a refurbish like the real one.

The way i got my wife to go along with buying a hat right now was to tell her that i would wear it with a suit to church also or with any other dress clothes. But she also knows that if i go hiking or climbing around in caves or what not that the hat is deffinatly going with me.

I had thought about getting the dimensional cut brim & the hat bashed like the idol grab scene & let nature take it's course & make that hat my own Cairo. In a way i don't want to copy everything about Indy, i want my own style & my own adventures to shape the hat.
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

IndianaSVT wrote:
I had thought about getting the dimensional cut brim & the hat bashed like the idol grab scene & let nature take it's course & make that hat my own Cairo. In a way i don't want to copy everything about Indy, i want my own style & my own adventures to shape the hat.
SVT your observation on Nature taking its course is dead on. Remember, Indy's screen hat is artificially aged, but in the real world, it would look like it does after years of use, reblocking, repair etc. I make my hats from the perspective of performance over time. The look so to speak is a function of time.

JJ
IndianaSVT
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaSVT »

Well Ken i think i'll just take mine like the Idol grab & i'll look forward to chatting with you soon about all the details. Btw did you recieve my money order & have you heard anything yet on the brown bodys?
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

Is this the address I should send the money order to:
The Camptown Hat Company Ltd.
86 Smith Street
Irvington, New Jersey 07111
United States

I hope so!
IndianaSVT
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaSVT »

If you got it off of the Camptown site then it sure is.
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

Mr. Z wrote:Is this the address I should send the money order to:
The Camptown Hat Company Ltd.
86 Smith Street
Irvington, New Jersey 07111
United States

I hope so!
I'm sure that's it.
swcrazyfan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by swcrazyfan »

I just talked to him and I should be sending my payment within the next two days! I'm so excited to get my first Indy Fedora!

I'm getting the CS bash but after Indy 4 Comes out I will probably be adding the raiders pinch.

I can't wait to start wearing it!

Ken your awesome!

Josh K
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

SWCF: Can't wait to see what you get. :D

Cheers!

Dan
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

I am really excited about mine as well. I ordered mine in this style:

Ken said this was totally doable, and from everything I've seen here, I'm sure the hat will rock!
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Very groovy Mr. Z! That should look great. :clap:
Congratulations! Can't wait to see what you get.

Cheers!

Dan
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

Well, I thought I'd sent in the money order this morning. But wouldn't you know it, there it was with the rest of the mail. Guess I'll try mailing it again tomorrow. :?
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

Argonaut wrote:Well, I thought I'd sent in the money order this morning. But wouldn't you know it, there it was with the rest of the mail. Guess I'll try mailing it again tomorrow. :?
You got your hat already?!
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

Mr. Z wrote:
Argonaut wrote:Well, I thought I'd sent in the money order this morning. But wouldn't you know it, there it was with the rest of the mail. Guess I'll try mailing it again tomorrow. :?
You got your hat already?!
Oh, haha. Guess I worded it wrong. The money order that I'd tried to send was there with the rest of the mail. That crazy mail man totally missed it and shoved the rest of the mail in with it. :roll:

But when I do get my hat, I'll post pics post haste. 8)
Piker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Piker »

Now, don't go, "Postal," on us. :D
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

Piker wrote:Now, don't go, "Postal," on us. :D
:lol: No worries. Unless that mail man of mine does the same thing tomorrow. Then I might go postal. :)
swcrazyfan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by swcrazyfan »

I am about to send my payment to ken and i just wanted to make sure that i am sending the payment through paypal to the correct email. i was going to send it to camptownhats@yahoo.com is that the correct one?
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

swcrazyfan wrote:I am about to send my payment to ken and i just wanted to make sure that i am sending the payment through paypal to the correct email. i was going to send it to camptownhats@yahoo.com is that the correct one?
That'll do it sir ! Thanks much !

Ken
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

That's it my friend. Good luck with your hat. Which crease did you go with?
swcrazyfan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by swcrazyfan »

gabrielle wrote:That's it my friend. Good luck with your hat. Which crease did you go with?
I am getting the CS bash for the premiere the i am gonna add the raiders pinch after the movie comes out.
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

swcrazyfan wrote:I am getting the CS bash for the premiere the i am gonna add the raiders pinch after the movie comes out.
Good choice! I can't wait for May 22nd. Please post photos when you get the lid...So we can all admire it. :tup:
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

swcrazyfan wrote:I am getting the CS bash for the premiere the i am gonna add the raiders pinch after the movie comes out.
You are far more talented then I; I am afraid I couldn't do the pinch justice.
swcrazyfan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by swcrazyfan »

Mr. Z wrote:
You are far more talented then I; I am afraid I couldn't do the pinch justice.
Don't say anything just yet because i have never bashed a hat. Ken is doing the original bash, and i hope i can add the pinch without messing up the hat. knock on wood.
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

I'm sure it will be awesome bud. I can't wait to see the pic. :)
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

VICTORY! I finally managed to get my payment sent today. It turns out it wasn't the mail man's fault it wasn't getting sent. It was mine. :oops: You'd think I'd know by now which address goes where. Oh well. I really can't wait to get this hat.
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

Argonaut wrote:VICTORY! I finally managed to get my payment sent today. It turns out it wasn't the mail man's fault it wasn't getting sent. It was mine. :oops: You'd think I'd know by now which address goes where. Oh well. I really can't wait to get this hat.
Great story! You can blame it on your total insanity to get the hat and get it now!!! I just can't believe you did it twice. :shock: #-o :roll:
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

gabrielle wrote:
Argonaut wrote:VICTORY! I finally managed to get my payment sent today. It turns out it wasn't the mail man's fault it wasn't getting sent. It was mine. :oops: You'd think I'd know by now which address goes where. Oh well. I really can't wait to get this hat.
Great story! You can blame it on your total insanity to get the hat and get it now!!! I just can't believe you did it twice. :shock: #-o :roll:
Yeah, haha. Didn't work the first time so I took it right back up. I never even thought twice about it. Thankfully, the second time the mail man left me a note saying it would come right back here again. Ha, anyways. It should be on its way now.
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

We will ignore it and not mention it again, hahahahaha, if you promise to post pics of the Camptown and how you like it when it gets there. I want one too so I'd like to know what you think...

I hope Ken ships it to you though and not to himself!!! Just kidding.

:-# :-# :-#
rrhanselka
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rrhanselka »

I heard from Ken today. He has bashed my hat and will ship it Monday.

YEE-HA!!!! I can't wait. Will post pics.

Many Thanks
Randoman
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

gabrielle wrote:We will ignore it and not mention it again, hahahahaha, if you promise to post pics of the Camptown and how you like it when it gets there. I want one too so I'd like to know what you think...

I hope Ken ships it to you though and not to himself!!! Just kidding.

:-# :-# :-#
Haha, definitely. Will do.
rrhanselka wrote:I heard from Ken today. He has bashed my hat and will ship it Monday.

YEE-HA!!!! I can't wait. Will post pics.

Many Thanks
Randoman
Awesome. Would love to see those pics sometime. What style did you have Ken bash it with?
rrhanselka
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rrhanselka »

Argonaut...
I had Ken bash my hat similar to Daniel Jones, but without the tight pinch. I figure I can always add that later.

I can hardly wait.

Randoman
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

Should I purchase a hat stand for my hat, or does the box that it comes in retain its shape?
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

rrhanselka wrote:Argonaut...
I had Ken bash my hat similar to Daniel Jones, but without the tight pinch. I figure I can always add that later.

I can hardly wait.

Randoman
Good choice. DanielJones's hat looks great. It's the one that convinced me to buy a Camptown.
Mr. Z wrote:Should I purchase a hat stand for my hat, or does the box that it comes in retain its shape?
Hmm, that's a good question. Ken's site says the hat box is good for storage, but I would think the brim wouldn't hold its shape as well in the box.
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

Argonaut wrote:Hmm, that's a good question. Ken's site says the hat box is good for storage, but I would think the brim wouldn't hold its shape as well in the box.
That's kind of what I was afraid of. Maybe I'll order one, since they're only five bucks. Thanks man.
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

Mr. Z wrote:
Argonaut wrote:Hmm, that's a good question. Ken's site says the hat box is good for storage, but I would think the brim wouldn't hold its shape as well in the box.
That's kind of what I was afraid of. Maybe I'll order one, since they're only five bucks. Thanks man.
Yeah, no problem. Makes me think I oughta get something like that too.
The Aviator
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The Aviator »

On the topic of Camptowns whats the wait time these days?!?
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

The Avaitor wrote:On the topic of Camptowns whats the wait time these days?!?
No idea. I know he's in the middle of a case right now, so it's hard to say.
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

Mr. Z wrote:
The Avaitor wrote:On the topic of Camptowns whats the wait time these days?!?
No idea. I know he's in the middle of a case right now, so it's hard to say.
Oh yeah. That could be why he hasn't had a chance to call me yet. Maybe I should e-mail him again sometime, though. :-k I guess I'm getting a little ancy. Just hope I get it before May 22.
rrhanselka
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rrhanselka »

I ordered my Camptown 1936 Fieldmaster on 03/07/08. He had a 7 1/4 size on hand, so I'm lucky. I'll get my Fieldmaster this week, about 4 weeks. WOW!!!!!I feel blessed and can't wait. I can't believe Ken is in the middle of a big trial. He's been a joy to deal with.

Can't wait and I'll be a repeat customer for sure.

Many Thanks
Randoman
Mr. Z
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Z »

I'm hoping to get this one or my Peter Bros before the premier, and I just may end up getting both!
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

Just thought I'd mention, for those that care 8) , I had a quick chat with Ken today. Sounds like he's getting plenty of business. :) He's a bit under the weather, so be patient. But he's really on the ball, though. He's keeping track of everybody's orders. Even gave me some great advice on getting a reverse-taper/Raiders-ish sort of look out of my hat.

So get well soon Jersey. :tup: 8) I really can't wait to see the hat, which I will proudly display to the rest of the forum as I bash it(and by bash I don't mean... ha, nevermind).

-Gregg
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Can't wait to see what y'all get & what you do with them. :D

Cheers!

Dan
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

I hope I can get a 7 1/8 long oval. If you read this Ken please let me know about the long oval...txs. It fits so much nicer, good and snug but doesn't leave any mark on my face.
IndianaSVT
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaSVT »

Newb question here, but how would i know if i have a long oval head or not? Just kinda curious that's all.
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

IndianaSVT wrote:Newb question here, but how would i know if i have a long oval head or not? Just kinda curious that's all.
If you wear a hat and it leaves a red mark on your forehead but fits good on the sides, a long oval will be snug on your forehead and not leave a mark.

I can wear my fedora all livelong day and it's snug enough to not blow away in the wind, but never leaves a mark.