Indy's distressed jacket

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

Holt
Craftsman

Indy's distressed jacket

Post by Holt »

hi.just made another tread about this jacket.will try to post some more pictures soon of it.these will just have to do so long.enjoy

I really wanted mine to scream indiana jones.I wanted that dull color and also wanted it to look worn and aged.

here is me in my dining room wearing the jacket.

New condition

and wanted it to look like this
and mine,a couple hours later:D what do you think?
Holt :D
Mr. Das
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Das »

I think you got the Crystal Skull looked nailed. The Last Crusade is heavily distressed, though.
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

Looks good. What steps did you take?
hanson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hanson »

very nicely done. i'm not a big fan of artificial aging because of the"back-and-forth-up-and-down, sandpaper the seams" look most jackets wind up with. i always thought the rotla gear looked "lived in and used" or just really dirty; whereas, imho, the other films had made a noticeable effort to make the gear look like it had been to 4377 and back. regards. hanson.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Here is my Wested jacket with LC aging:

Bullitt
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bullitt »

Is this before or after the Pecards treatment? This is too distressed for my taste, however it probably looks better in person.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Whip warrior, VERY LC. Very brave. Looks Fab.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I never use Pecards on my jackets- only Letap. And yes, distressing it did take more than a little bravery, plus a few months of gradual work. It does look better in person; it's just difficult to capture the subtleties with a digital camera.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

thanks you guys.I used alcohol and very very fine grain sandpaper.
you can hardly notice tht it was done by sandpaper.I off course see it's fake because I did it.but I have let other people see it in person and they could not believe that it was fakely done.but I did not use alcohol first.I sanded the hole jacket down and then I used alcohol on it.was out the hole left over shine in it

I am very happy with the resuslt :D

and whipwarrior.what an exelent LC style jacket.

Regards
Holt
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Hey Indiana Holt, I think if there was a new Indy fans movie coming up you should be starring. Not that you look like HF, but you are good looking enough for the role.
rhboyd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rhboyd »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

oh man.... there's faint praise if there ever was any... "good looking enough..."

:roll:

oh brother!!!
-r!
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

PLATON wrote:Hey Indiana Holt, I think if there was a new Indy fans movie coming up you should be starring. Not that you look like HF, but you are good looking enough for the role.
thank you.I am starting to blush here :oops: :D

Regards
Holt
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

Holt, I like what you did with your jacket! :tup:

Dale, I know that's the same jacket you had when we got together at Indydawg's place a few years back.
Have you worked on it more since then? I don't remember it looking that distressed.

Brian
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

No, I pretty much had it finished when you saw it at our little 2003 Georgia Summit. I had the LC collar snaps added by a local leather shop in December, but that's about it. If it looks a bit more aged, it's just from natural wear and tear. I'm a delivery driver by trade, and I wear this jacket about 60% of the year. I only wish that the digital pictures could make it look half as nice as it does in-person. The camera tends to create a blur effect where the sandpapering is. In reality, there are some really nice transitions from the rough to the new leather. Really must be seen to appreciate.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

take your jacket outsside and take a picture of it with no flash.then we will see what you see everyday :D

Holt
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

whipwarrior wrote:The camera tends to create a blur effect where the sandpapering is. In reality, there are some really nice transitions from the rough to the new leather. Really must be seen to appreciate.
I agree Dale, the camera doesn't do it justice. As I recall, your jacket reminded me of the one I saw at the Smithsonian, only better. It really is a work of art like 'it belongs in a museum!' :tup:
I'm glad you get to wear it most of the year...the jacket is made to be worn. I wear mine most of the year too and it amazes me to see where natural distress marks actually end up after a few years. Regardless, I you have a really nice jacket.
Cheers,
Brian
Mike Jones
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Mike Jones »

in that type of skin is the jacket?
JAN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by JAN »

I used alcohol ...
Hey Holt. Living in Norway that way of distressing must have cost you more than the jacket itself :wink:

Looking good though!

Best regards

JAN
starks_6
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by starks_6 »

What kind of alcohol do you use?? Looks great by the way!
Harrison_Davies
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Harrison_Davies »

whipwarrior wrote:Here is my Wested jacket with LC aging:

Wow mine looks great compared to that distressing, I feel much better now that I didn't overdo it. Not saying you did, that's what you were aiming for. But I always felt I overdid it.