Carmel Aldens "changing..."

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

Hey all,

Was going to place an order for Carmel Alden AF64 boots today - then the owner informed me that the next batch on the way will be WITHOUT eyelets in the lace holes. I asked him why and he had this to say:
We're always making small changes to the details of our shoes as our tastes change and in order to keep the shoe styles up to date.
Now I'm not so sure I want them...
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Carmel Aldens "changing..."

Post by Indiana G »

IndyFrench wrote:Hey all,

Was going to place an order for Carmel Alden AF64 boots today - then the owner informed me that the next batch on the way will be WITHOUT eyelets in the lace holes. I asked him why and he had this to say:
We're always making small changes to the details of our shoes as our tastes change and in order to keep the shoe styles up to date.
Now I'm not so sure I want them...
what is he trying to say.........it's just gonna be raw leather around the laces??? that doesn't sound like a worthy feature considering the price tag.......i'm confused........
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

That's what I said! I mean, any respectable rugged hiking shoe or workboot has reinforced lace holes! Well, I've already decided I'm switching over and buying some Redwings in Dark Wood color instead. I wanted a true Indy hiking shoe and was willing to pay, but the compromises to the 405 design beyond the needed sole is detrimental to its function and appeal as an "Indy boot."
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

Thanks for posting this. I ordered a pair of those, and they are on backorder until June/July. If that's the case, I'm cancelling my order.
'Blues
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

Hey says there are metal reinforcements "UNDER" the leather on all Alden shoes including these.

I responded with essentially, "Well, there's no need to remove the exterior eyelets then, because removing them only detracts from the Indy look, which is the point of this boot anyway."
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

We don't sell AF64 as a hiking boot, and though AF64 is based on the Indy Boot, it was never our intention to make it as close to the Indy Boot as possible. Otherwise we wouldn't have made it with the lug sole and oiled leather.

We will cancel your request.
The owner's response when I cancelled my boot request. Doesn't look like this is where IndyGear afficionados need to be spending their money IMHO. A VERY pricey boot that is awesome in theory, but it is clear there is no interest in keeping the "Indy" 405 design consistent...
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

woohoo! now my AF64's are 'collector's items' :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Mike, any reason why you can't get a standard pair of 405's and have vibram lug soles installed yourself? It's been done before, and quite successfully.

Regards! Michaelson
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

Michaelson wrote:Mike, any reason why you can't get a standard pair of 405's and have vibram lug soles installed yourself? It's been done before, and quite successfully.

Regards! Michaelson
That's what I did...
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I know. 8)
:lol:
Regards! Michaelson
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

I just emailed Adam at Alden of Carmel, asking if my boots are going to have the speed lacers or not. I pre-ordered them assuming they were going to be like the picture. I'll keep you posted.
Mike
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

blues,

the speed lace claws should be still intact....i believe that they are only modifying the lace holes. instead of a metal painted ring around each penetration of the lacing, you'll just see raw leather......looks kind of back-woodsish to me and not very befitting of the 405 glory.

some people may prefer the non-sa look....so to each their own :D
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

Indiana G wrote:blues,

the speed lace claws should be still intact....i believe that they are only modifying the lace holes. instead of a metal painted ring around each penetration of the lacing, you'll just see raw leather......looks kind of back-woodsish to me and not very befitting of the 405 glory.

some people may prefer the non-sa look....so to each their own :D

OOOooooooohhh. Thanks for clearing that up, G. Still, they jacked up the price, and they're taking someting away. Lame. Still may cancel.
'Blues
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

Would Alden install the lug soles for me? Or would I have to buy them separately and have a shoe cobbler do it?

1 - Where do you get vibram lug soles?
2 - The real draw of these Aldens were the near-proper Raiders color. The current Aldens are like the ones I have - near brick-red "brown"
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Can't help you on the color, but every cobbler I've dealt with HAVE the heels and soles in stock, so you just tell them what you want, and they install them.

Regards! Michaelson
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

OK, got a reply from Adam, at Alden of Carmel:

"Hi Mike.

Thank you for your e-mail.

The new version of our AF64 will not have the round metal eyelets. (the 5 lower eyelets out of the 9 total)

It will still have the 4 speed hooks. The top 4 eyelets out of 9 total.

The round metal eyelets will be replaced by "invisible" or "blind" eyelets, which are just plain lace holes. (these are reinforced under the leather layer)

So to re-cap. We are changing the lower 5 eyelets from: round metal eyelets (called "agatine" eyelets) to: "invisible" or "blind" eyelets, which are just plain lace holes like an ordinary shoe.

There were two other misunderstandings that came up in our correspondence with Mr. French.

First, we do not sell AF64 as a hiking boot. It has never said anything like that on our web site.

Second, though AF64 is based on the Indy Boot, it was never our intention to make the boot as close to the Indy Boot as possible.

If we wanted to do that, we would use the same sole as the original Indy Boot, and, we would not use this heavily oiled leather.

AF64 is based on the Indy Boot pattern, but is essentially a different shoe, because of the sole and the leather used.

If you are posting to a web site or are in e-mail correspondence with Indy Boot fans, perhaps you can pass on this information in order to help avoid any confusion or disappointment.

If you have any questions, please e-mail.

Sincerely, Adam, Alden of Carmel"

That about sums it up. I can deal with the re-enforced eye holes, just wanted to make sure they would have the hooks.
'Blues
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

Michaelson wrote:Can't help you on the color, but every cobbler I've dealt with HAVE the heels and soles in stock, so you just tell them what you want, and they install them.

Regards! Michaelson
Exactly. I just took my old pair of Aldens to a reputable cobbler, and he showed me an assortment of Vibram soles. $30 later, I had a pair of very usable Aldens.
'Blues
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

All that aside, I still don't see the point of omitting the eyelets...

When did eyelets go out of style on a work boot???
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

sorry,
I can't hold back...
WTF?!! :evil:

I was actually going to SELL my current pair to get these.
Now I'm not so sure...

I know some of the guys over on the SuFu forum own pairs like these. I'll post this over there and see what their feelings on the "no eyelets" are.
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

Their rhetoric to IndyBlues isn't conforming to their rhetoric on their own website:

From the response to IndyBlues:
First, we do not sell AF64 as a hiking boot. It has never said anything like that on our web site.

Second, though AF64 is based on the Indy Boot, it was never our intention to make the boot as close to the Indy Boot as possible.

If we wanted to do that, we would use the same sole as the original Indy Boot, and, we would not use this heavily oiled leather.

AF64 is based on the Indy Boot pattern, but is essentially a different shoe, because of the sole and the leather used.
From THEIR OWN WEBSITE:
The most all-weather shoe we offer is this durable and rugged high lace boot, featuring the same heavy duty rubber lug sole used for police boots. Also featuring heavily oiled, low maintenance leather uppers. Definitely not a dress shoe! This is the boot that Indiana Jones wishes he had !
Not only do they tout this boot as "the most all-weather...durable and rugged" and say it's "definitely not a dress shoe!" they even mention the Indiana Jones connection as a selling point. But then the guy turns around and backpedals. Oh, no intention of selling it as an Indiana Jones boot or as a hiking boot either.

OK, so just what the heck IS this boot?!
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

Its not THAT bad, but its still really annoying....

Who knows what it is french.....

one thing is for sure...its expensive.... :lol:

Sounds like they are using it as an exterior selling point, but hes not trying to gain a sale JUST on that factor, because alden essentially makes dress boots. The Indy boot, while rugged, at its heart IS a dress boot.
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

I just don't see why they need to reinvent the wheel here. I'm off to buy Redwings now.

IndyFrench out.
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

Ditto,

I've been eying a pair for a really long time.

I guess I should just pull the trigger.

these look pretty freggin sweet if you ask me.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/28451819/c/45106.html
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

I'm all about these RedWings here...

http://www.jcrew.com/catalog/product.jh ... =cat250095

Pretty dang close if you ask me...and in "Dark Wood" color - Pure Raiders!
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

They do look nice. The only thing that's bugged me about shoes like that is the ridge created by the moc toe seam. The Aldens have a nice smooth seam on the toe, and it doesn't create a bump. That's one of the things that I think makes a boot very "Indy" and it's not easy to find (except on Aldens and Rockports).
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

What isn't easy to find on Aldens though are ones that don't force you to take out a second mortgage to own them...and these AF64 Carmel numbers are even more expensive..."and now with less Indy styling! Indiana Jones would be jealous to own these!"

Sheesh...
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

Pre trailer release these cost 345....

NO JOKE

post trailer release they cost 375....

and when me and Blues were checking them out last month...

they rose to 405....

Thats a 60$ price increase in less than a year.
Now modifications are being made....super bull carp.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

so i did pay $345 then??? can't remember exactly but thanks for reminding me.....now i have some ammo if my wife goes off on my "$400 boots"

.......THEY'RE ONLY $345!!!! :lol:

- somehow, i don't think the plymouth will save me from her......i'll just duck behind michaelson. she's usually very nice in front of new people :lol:
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

Sounds like they are using it as an exterior selling point, but hes not trying to gain a sale JUST on that factor, because alden essentially makes dress boots. The Indy boot, while rugged, at its heart IS a dress boot.
I wish I could agree with you on this, but from everything they're touting on their own website...
Definitely not a dress shoe!
My point is, regardless of whether the Alden 405 is a dress boot, we've all said Indy would really need and wear a work/hiking boot. So, Alden of Carmel is putting themselves out there and offering....what? It's a dress boot that's "definitely" not a dress boot, yet it's a "rugged" shoe "based on the Indy Boot" but "never [with the] intention to make the boot as close to Indy as possible" nor to make the boot one worthy of work/hiking wear because "we do not sell AF64 as a hiking boot."

So, what exactly IS this boot good for? It's not a dress boot, but it isn't a proper work boot or hiking boot. Hmm.... for a now-inflated $405 smacks and even less Indy-styling, where's the draw here? Yet they never aimed it as an Indiana Jones boot, despite invoking his very name in their copy to pundit these shoes.

Sounds like talking out of both sides of the mouth. Sorry to belabor the point. This just irritates me for some reason. I'll be quiet now, I swear...
schmidty612
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by schmidty612 »

Hey All,

You could get the regular current 405's from me for $278 including shipping, and spend 40 bucks to have them dyed dark brown (if SA is your thing) and have lug soles slapped on 'em by a decent cobbler. You are STILL paying less than you would from Alden of Carmel. Just a thought...

Schmidty
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

This is pure B.S. Just be glad that Alden did not implement these 'improvements' before Indy 4 filmed, or the eyelet-less 405's would be screen-accurate. *cringe* :x
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

Hey whip,

Just to clarify - the eyeletless Aldens are some custom ones done by Alden of Carmel - they were originally rugged, heavily oiled and dark brown 405 clones with heavy lug soles - but now they're tweaking the style and inexplicable removing the eyelets.

The standard 405s everywhere else continue to have eyelets. The appeal of the Carmels was a Raiders-colored Alden boot with true adventurer soles, but now the boot is simply a weird-looking boot with a very high pricetag.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Ah, I stand corrected, sir. :-)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana G wrote: - somehow, i don't think the plymouth will save me from her......i'll just duck behind michaelson. she's usually very nice in front of new people :lol:
Don't get ME involved there, G!!! =; Enraged women usually shoot first, then ask questions later, so hiding behind me won't save you!!! OR me!!! :shock: :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
IndigoJuliet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndigoJuliet »

On soldarity with other members, I have cancelled my tenative order for these shoes, as I stated to the ever graceous Adam, "I feel the lack of eyelets detracts from the look of the shoe, and takes away some of the dress shoe style that I was looking for in a shoe that I beleived was both suitable for work and leasure/travel."

He was also asked if they could fit the eyelets as an extra, the response was nNo.

As much as I like them I think they do not look at all dressy without the eyelests. These were going to be bought for Work and travel wear. Oh well the cheap option looks like it is going to win out..
rrhanselka
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rrhanselka »

I cancelled my order for the AF-64 Indy Boot also. Instead I ordered another pair of 405's from schmidty612 which I will have dyed dark brown and have lug soles installed.
BTW, how did they turn out? Any photos would be appreciated.

Many Thanks
Randoman
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

I notice the references to "the boot that Indiana Jones wished he'd had" are gone from their web site...

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index.cf ... ot_174.htm
Indybantha Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indybantha Jones »

Wow! I like the soles on them. I wonder how long they would last compared to the regular 405's :D
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

as for mine, probably another month.......if schmidty manages to get them changed out for the standard sole :wink:
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

Just an update. If anyone is interested in the Rugged Alden boots, Adam at Alden of Carmel just got a batch in, and the pair I ordered do indeed have the eyelets. So, if your interested, the chow bell is 'a ringin'.
'Blues