Question About a Belt....

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Question About a Belt....

Post by Indiana Neri »

I work in retail at Nordstrom and we were taught, as I knew this as a general rule of thumb anyway, that if your pants waits size is say a 32, then you'd go with a size 34 belt. My question is, regarding Todd's delux belt, if you wanted to wear it as a normal pants belt (and my wais is a size 32) AS WELL as a costume gunbelt, what size should you order? From Todd's website: "ORDER BY REGULAR PANTS SIZE - THESE BELTS ARE ALREADY SIZED LARGER TO WEAR OVER THE HIP." So what would the size be if you wanted to multi-use the belt? Just curious...

:wink:
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I make no assumptions about marked belt size. I've had enough experiences doing it the way you suggest (waist + 2 inches) for normal wear, only to dicover that not all belts are marked consistantly that way. I would as ask Todd directly, explaining what you intend. That's the only way to be sure.
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

I've got both Todd's standard gunbelt and deluxe gunbelt.
I started with the standard, which I found to be too small. I ordered based on the info on Todd's site. I understood it to mean that I should order my regular pant size(32) as they were cut to accommodate the difference.
I ended up being dissatisfied with the fit (the belt was fine) and ordered a deluxe in a 36 and it fits to my satisfaction.( it is also a really nice belt and worth the price difference). I'm sure I could have returned it but I attempted to stretch it as I planned to distress it anyway.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3294/234 ... 64.jpg?v=0

Go bigger is my advice. Otherwise Todd's is a great product!

Tron
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

Good info. I was always curious if Todd's advice about belt sizes was completely true.
rjallen70
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rjallen70 »

I did the same thing...ordered a 32" standard per the sites instructions, and then had to re-order the deluxe in a 34".
I now use the 32" as a regular belt.
Ron
MACHONE
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by MACHONE »

I learned the same thing about Todd's Deluxe Gunbelt the hard way. I ordered a 36 which left no slack, and I had to use the last belthole to wear it, there was no way it was going over the hips. Todd exchanged it no problem for the next size up. :D

There is one other thing I have not seen mention of here...the slack, or excess belt that hangs down after buckling. With one size up the belt drapes perfectly over the hip, under the web belt. This leaves about 5 inches of slack which is held in place by the keepers. From what I see on screen/in most images the belt has a bit more excess and actually drapes down in many shots. You may want to go two sizes up if that is the look you are going for. Either way I would not order by actual waist size. I am happy with one size up as I think I would be uncomfortable with more excess.
Ben
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Post by Indiana Neri »

I just remembered that the web belt was the same thing, I had ordered a 32" as per instructions, but there wasn't enough slack as there was in the movies. I think both belts should have about 4 to 7 inches of slack, right? Are the other belts offered out there true to size or true to film? Besides NH, who ELSE sells gunbelts? My keeper from WSP isn't screen accurate at all.

:-k
IndianaSolo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: New York City..."You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"

Post by IndianaSolo »

When I was looking for a belt I wasn't really concerned with SA as much as I was thinking about practicality. I buy my belts from only one place, http://www.thebeltman.net
I have 2 bullhide belts and I will never buy a department store belt again. each belt is custom made and can be done in bullhide, horsehide, shark, or elephant. You'll put down a good chunk of $$, but I wear belts with everything so If you want a belt that will last you a LONG time, thats where I would go. $69 a belt and worth every penny. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

So which is better: 1 size up or 2 sizes up when ordering from Todd's? Anybody else have any experience with this?
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

With Todd's gun belts, I'd say 2 sizes up.

Tron
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

Tron7960 wrote:With Todd's gun belts, I'd say 2 sizes up.

Tron
Thanks. Good to know.
gmarthe
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by gmarthe »

Argonaut,
I;m ordering one this week. Did you ever order yours from Todd's? If so what did you go with and what was the result?
Risu
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Risu »

I have Todd's deluxe and a 33" waist. I ordered the 32-34 size and it was barely long enough for my waist, so I went up one size and it leaves the perfect amount of extra hanging when around the hips. I don't plan on ever wearing it as a regular belt, but it wouldn't work so well with all the extra belt left over.
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

gmarthe wrote:Argonaut,
I;m ordering one this week. Did you ever order yours from Todd's? If so what did you go with and what was the result?
Wish I could tell ya. I bought myself a deluxe holster, but that's all I could afford for now. Seems like some say one size up, and some say two sizes up. Guess it's hard to know for sure. If I ever get one I'll let you know how it fits.