Indy IV promo bullwhip; hi-res shot

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

McFly
Scoundrel

Indy IV promo bullwhip; hi-res shot

Post by McFly »

http://www.indianajones.com/site/media/ ... 4-1024.jpg

Your thoughts? Look at the big knot in the fall!! Look how it's attached to the cracker! What's going on there?

Is this the same whip we saw before in the on-set shots? The knots all look different to me...

Shane
Last edited by McFly on Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Shane, Thats probably one of David Morgan's bullwhips used in the previous films. It one of his older style bullwhips and the popper is attached the way he used to tie them one. Lucas has several bullwhip left over in the archives, and Its not uncommon to see the falls on these movie used whips all knotted and tangled up like that. They just never bothered to untangle it for the photo.

It’s not the same whip as the one shown in the video promos, I’ll be making an announcement reguarding that whip very soon.

Dan
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

http://www.indianajones.com/site/media/ ... 3-1600.jpg

Looks way too old to be an Indy 4 one, they prolly dug up some archive stuff to make those fancy new wallpapers.
Paul_Stenhouse
Vendor

Post by Paul_Stenhouse »

What's also odd is that the wrist loop looks like three plait on the outside, but 4-5 plait on the inside part.

Hmmm :?
jabahutt70
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jabahutt70 »

That is funny, Paul, it does look as you said, with 3 strands on the outside, but more on the inside, lol.
Like Dan said, the big knot in the middle of the fall looks like what used to happen to me back when I first started cracking, all tangled & stuff. Definitely think it's an old photo.

Steve.
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

To me it doesn't necessarily look old, but made from either a dark whiskey or dark brown hide. When a whip ages from a natural hide, it is the color of the poster. But the edges of the strands are almost black. Plus it looks like it still has the shellac. Another give away is, if this came from real old stock let's say 18 years ago, that coil you see would be not as tight. The coil would be more oval. Just my thoughts.... My thinking this is new stock, made from a darker hide. :wink:
...Update....
Just read the other thread:
viewtopic.php?t=24556&highlight=whip+announcement

My bet is that whip in the poster is a TJ. Or a Strain. Strain makes a gorgeous whiskey color whip that looks like that. The explanation for the fall, is that someone else could have repaired it on the set or at practice sessions. I doubt this is an older Morgan due to the tightness in the coil. It would be very limp and loose. Unless Morgan used a dark hide... Anyway we don't know for sure yet on the poster right? The cat's out of the bag for the big 3 - but it depends on the editing room floor what we get to see on the screen.
Last edited by Sergei on Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Welcome back, Sergei! :)

Shane
Sergei
Admin Emeritus

Post by Sergei »

IndyMcFly wrote:Welcome back, Sergei! :)

Shane
Thanks Shane. All is well?
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Yeah, everything's alright. The QM summits have been smaller since the one you went to last... maybe if you come again, it'll convince Michaelson to show up. :lol: :roll: How've you been? Where've you been?

Shane
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Sergei - great to have you back!
Regarding the picture in this thread - it must have got changed for another wallpaper as the link now shows a different pic. The pic that was originally being discussed showed an older whip coiled on the ground. To my eyes it was definitely a Morgan. Maybe since the announcement of the whipmaker being Jacka, the Morgan promo shots have been deleted?

edit: here's the pic that started this thread off originally:
http://www.indianajones.com/site/media/ ... 2-1024.jpg
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Sergei
Admin Emeritus

Post by Sergei »

Geesh now I feel better. Paul was talking about seeing the backside of the wrist strap being different from the front. And I am looking at the above pictures in the thread, saying to myself... auhhh, where is the strap... I even put the image in photoshop to brighten and contrast the picture to see what Paul was seeing. Crazy...
Whipcrack
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Whipcrack »

Glad to see you again Sergei, it looks like we finaly know who is making the whips for Indy IV!.

Same song with a little new twist........

Happy New Year!

Bill
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

IndyMcFly wrote: The QM summits have been smaller since the one you went to last... maybe if you come again, it'll convince Michaelson to show up. :lol: :roll: Shane
Ya never know.... :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Sergei
Admin Emeritus

Post by Sergei »

Nothing is impossible.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

I'll have to ressurect discussion of the promo "fedora and whip on the crate", as I'm curious as to who people believe made the whip in this picture? Could it be a Joe Strain?
giovanniceleste
Vendor

Post by giovanniceleste »

Hello Segei welcome back on board :wink:
Gio
Darth Indiana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Darth Indiana »

has the site changed, or am i goind blind? You guys are talking about knots in the fall, and plaits in the wrist loop. I don't see an knot inn the fall apart from th one attaching it to the thong, and i can't see the wrist loop at all. WTF?
stealthboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by stealthboy »

I was similarly confused. But I found this image, maybe this is the one they are talking about:

http://www.indianajones.com/site/media/ ... 6-1024.jpg
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

While I originally thought the bullwhip in the first promo poster with the fedora and wooden crate was one of the new David Morgan bullwhips, You might be on to something Castor. Let me check into it more and see if I can dig up more information.

Darth Indiana, the site address got changed. Stealthboy posted a link to the images we were talking about. That is an older Morgan bullwhip that the Lucasfilm archives had on hand.

Dan
Indiana Cromeens
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Cromeens »

I bet cash that this whip is a strain, I have a saddle tan that looks just like it, also the fall looks like a latigo fall, and all the whips strain supplied for Indy 4 have latigo falls
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

stealthboy wrote:I was similarly confused. But I found this image, maybe this is the one they are talking about:

http://www.indianajones.com/site/media/ ... 6-1024.jpg
Same here.

The one on the crate looks very new and stiff. Maybe even shellacked.