Advice on the turn, etc.

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Advice on the turn, etc.

Post by Argonaut »

I'm sure there was a thread about this already, but I searched for it and couldn't find it. I'm not usually one to post new threads, but I figured I could use some advice.

So here's the deal. I'm in the process of getting a Camptown Fieldmaster. I know it may seem cliche, but I'm going for the typical Cairo hero Raiders fedora look. Or at least as close as I can get to it. So I assumed that the best way to do that would be to have Ken turn it just a bit before he bashes it.

So I've been trying to decide whether to have Ken bash it for me or do it myself. I've never bashed a hat before. I don't know how hard it is. But I do have a very specific look in mind.

Affording a quality fedora is pretty rare for me, so I don't want to get this one wrong.

So what say we all? Is the turn as important as I think it is? Should I have Ken implement it? Or should I bash it myself? Any other advice on getting my camptown to look like the Raiders hero fedora is most welcome. Thanks.

EDIT: Oh yeah. I'm a little worried about getting the right size, too. I've measure my head to 55.5 cm and 21.9 inches. Somebody told me in another thread to divide the inches by pi, so I got 6.97 or so. Ken says he's gonna try to find me a size 7, but I thought I'd double check and make sure it's the best size for me. Thanks all for your patience. If you've got any advice for a nervous fedora buyer, thankyou.
Last edited by Argonaut on Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

So I assumed that the best way to do that would be to have Ken turn it just a bit before he bashes it.
mmm...more than just a bit. Closer to an eighth of the way around your head.
So I've been trying to decide whether to have Ken bash it for me or do it myself. I've never bashed a hat before. I don't know how hard it is. But I do have a very specific look in mind.
If it were me, I'd have him do it - especially since he's doing it for free right now. I've messed around with the look of my AB, and while the thing's never caught fire or anything (knock on wood), if it were me, I'd personally feel better having someone else do it. :junior: -M
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

at

Post by BendingOak »

I'm not sure if he doesn't charge for bashing a hat? I would look into that. Bashing a hat isn't that hard. You can do it. It will be better if you do it any way. You won't know how far to turn It until it's on your head. I say get it unbashed and check out all the info here. Or give me a call and I'll talk you over it step by step.
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

Yeah, right now he's doing it for free. Really great deal he has going.
BendingOak wrote:You won't know how far to turn It until it's on your head.
That's one thing that had me worried a bit.
BendingOak wrote:I say get it unbashed and check out all the info here. Or give me a call and I'll talk you over it step by step.
Thanks for the offer. Very generous. I'll keep it in mind.

Anyways. Time to sleep. I'll read more of you guys' wonderful advice tomorrow. Adios.
airforceindy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: at

Post by airforceindy »

BendingOak wrote:I'm not sure if he doesn't charge for bashing a hat? I would look into that. Bashing a hat isn't that hard. You can do it. It will be better if you do it any way. You won't know how far to turn It until it's on your head. I say get it unbashed and check out all the info here. Or give me a call and I'll talk you over it step by step.
Check the Vendors thread; Ken's got a heck of a special going on for COW members.

Argonaut,
On the other hand, bashing your own hat has it's rewards. Very gratifying!

Regards, Andy
IndianaSVT
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaSVT »

Not to hijack your thread but i'm in the same boat here. I just ordered a Camptown & i am having a hard time trying to decide if i want the Cairo look or something else like the Temple scene, Ravens Bar,Well of Souls or the truck chase. Who knew it would be this hard to buy a hat? I would like to see a good Cairo hat to see if i want mine styled like that.
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

IndianaSVT wrote:Not to hijack your thread but i'm in the same boat here. I just ordered a Camptown & i am having a hard time trying to decide if i want the Cairo look or something else like the Temple scene, Ravens Bar,Well of Souls or the truck chase. Who knew it would be this hard to buy a hat? I would like to see a good Cairo hat to see if i want mine styled like that.
No problem. Guess we both have to figure this out.
IndianaSVT
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaSVT »

It's hard for me to figure out which one i want so i gess me & my wife are just going to have to watch Raiders again tonight :D
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

Have fun. :) I like the look of many of the TOD hats, but I think the Raiders hat(especially that Cairo scene) looks the best. Hopefully you'll be able to decide.

EDIT: Oh wait, I see. You're trying to decide which scene from Raiders has the best hat. Tough choice. I vote for the Cairo scene still. I have other favorites, but the Cairo hat has such an awesome look to it. It's unequaled in my opinion.
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

Guess I'll bump my own thread here.

Anybody ever tried turning a hat before? Does it work? Is it uncomfortable or is it something that is just ill-advised?

Of all the fedoras I've seen here, I can't remember seeing anyone who has tried turning theirs, although I'm sure there has been some. It'd be good to know if someone did and was happy with the results.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

I actually turned my hat while on my head.. it honestly felt as if it were turned.. you could notice it pretty good.
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

Yeah, that's what worries me a bit. I've been thinking it may be better for comfort just to leave it unturned. I tried turned my old DP on my head and just didn't feel right. Maybe turning is avoided for a reason. Thanks for the input.
Piker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Piker »

Turned mine: That convertible gets over 55 mph and I gotta torque the hat down or the hat is flying off my head.
IndianaSVT
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaSVT »

Argonaut wrote:I vote for the Cairo scene still. I have other favorites, but the Cairo hat has such an awesome look to it. It's unequaled in my opinion.

I do like the way the Cairo hat looks in your avatar. But it is still tough for me. If i could find a good Cairo hat that someone on here has to look at that would help alot.
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

IndianaSVT wrote:
Argonaut wrote:I vote for the Cairo scene still. I have other favorites, but the Cairo hat has such an awesome look to it. It's unequaled in my opinion.

I do like the way the Cairo hat looks in your avatar. But it is still tough for me. If i could find a good Cairo hat that someone on here has to look at that would help alot.
Yeah, same here. Would be very helpful. It's my favorite look, but it'd be good to know how practical turning the hat is.
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Here's mine. I think this makes a pretty good Cairo hat. It makes a good Raven Bar hat if the brim is flipped up in the back. On a new hat, you will feel the turn, but over time, if it is a good hat with quailty felt and a real leather sweat, it will conform to your head and then it will feel natural. You can accelate this process if you soak it, but that is not for the timid.

[img][img]http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/6971/1006643rc8.jpg[/img]

I'm trying to show that "Man, my guts ache, it's hot, and I really don't have time to fight with that gorilla with the big sword so I just gonna shoot him" look, which you have to have if your going for the Cairo look. Ah, maybe not, but it's all in good fun.

Weston[/img]
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

That's an excellent looking hat Weston. I think you really nailed the Cairo look with that.

I'm still debating with myself about how important the turn is, though. If I did get it turned by Ken, he'd have to add the dimensional cuts afterwards, right? And if I wanted to turn it myself, I'd need to cut the brim myself after it's been turned. I'm starting to think it might be better if I just let Ken make it look as Cairo-ish as possible without the turn. I'm sure the hat would develop plenty of character over time without the turn.

I don't know how to dimensionally cut a hat, so I figured I should at least let Ken do that, but that would mean I can't turn it after that of course. I think.

Thanks for all the advice so far. If anybody wants to add anything before I decide whether to bash it myself or not, I'm game.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

Cut first then turn. The turn is a big part of the over all look when it come to a" Raiders hat."
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

I think the turn is essential for a Raiders hat. All of the brim warping that makes the Raiders hat unique is a product of the turn, and it is impossible to get that look on an unturned hat.

I also don't think someone else can turn the hat for you, I think it's something you need to do for yourself, but that's no big deal. And it is SO much easier to go ahead and do the turn before you've creased the hat, so go ahead and get the hat open crowned and do it all yourself, it's really not that hard.

The biggest reason why I think the turn can't be done for you is how much brim distortion you actually want is kind of a personal taste issue, and the shape of your head really effects how much turning is necessary. What I've done on my last couple hats is work the felt in my hands to soften up the brim until it's fairly pliable. Then I put the hat on my head straight and just rotated the hat until I liked how warped the brim looked. Then crease the hat normally based on where the new center is.

The more oval your head the more quickly and more dramatically you'll see the brim warp. It might feel weird the first day or two, but I promise it'll feel quite normal as the hat adjusts to your head naturally.

So I say good luck, and go for it!
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Winston is right, the shape of your head is going to determine how much of a turn you need, and how much the brim warps. If you get a fedora with an open crown and dimensionally cut brim, you will have a much better starting point. A snug fit also helps. When you get your hat, put it on, turn it until you like the way the brim warps, crease the centerdent, then pinch the front. Leave the front pinch a little loose until you are happy with the look, then set in sharp if you want to. Don't worry about ruining your hat; all of this can be done dry and can be popped right back out if you need to start over. Post pics as you go and there are a lot of folks here who can walk you through the process.

Weston
michaelb
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by michaelb »

I can totally understand the turn and it's purpose, but with all of my hats, it doesn't really seem to warp the brim or do anything as I expected... Oh well.

I guess my real question is, is how do I get the brim to flare up on the sides like the SOC hat. I think that has a lot to do with the turn, but still... Can I use water? I was going to try this on my AB... (By the way, did I mention after 1 year and 1 month I just received my AB 3 days ago?) :wink: And it's a beauty too. :D

(Nothing against Steve, but I hate putting pics of myself on the Internet, so I did not mention it here, when it arrived. I knew you guys would be demanding pics, so I just say "Give it up!") :P

Anyway, if the beaver felt can withstand rain, snow, wind, hail, lightning, earthquakes, invasion from outer space, etc., how is a little water going to affect the sides of the brim? Will a spray bottle of water, and a little curling by hand do the trick? Or do I really have to just wear it and hope that it takes up that shape, through heat, cold, sweat?

One final question, the hat fits almost perfect but is very SLIGHTLY loose, and I thought that I read somewhere that Steve makes the hats 1/8th of an inch over, just in case and because normal wear will adapt it to your noggin... ? It is above the ears, but it could easily fall upon them. I am thinking "Lampshade Trick", but I am afraid that is not how you should go without wearing it a bit first... I don't wear my hats that often, but if the feeling is there and/or it is a special event or holiday, I will wear one of my three, (AB, Fed, and HJ). So basically, I don't know if it is going to get that "look"... The AB is so new and the edges of the brim pretty much flare straight out, horizontally from my head. That looks fine on some people, but unfortunately not me... Maybe water AND Hat Stiffener will bring those edges up a bit more?

Basically, I am going for exactly what Weston's got going on in that pic.

Any info appreciated!

Thanks and Happy Easter!

And again, of course, a big thank you to Steve!

Michael B
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

is your new AB bash already?
michaelb
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by michaelb »

Of course. And nicely done, I must say... I guess i am just looking for that "extreme" look.?

MB
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

the turn would go before the bash job. thats why I asked.It's really hard to get that Raiders swoop and curl going without the turn. people have tried but it's not the same. before someone jumps on me. let me put this in IMO,
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

May I strongly discourage the use of the "lampshade trick" to make the hat fit better. I burned up my sweatband trying that once. It took over a month to get it back from the hatter who put a new one in for me.

Weston
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: hat

Post by Argonaut »

BendingOak wrote:Cut first then turn. The turn is a big part of the over all look when it come to a" Raiders hat."
WinstonWolf359 wrote:I think the turn is essential for a Raiders hat. All of the brim warping that makes the Raiders hat unique is a product of the turn, and it is impossible to get that look on an unturned hat.

I also don't think someone else can turn the hat for you, I think it's something you need to do for yourself, but that's no big deal. And it is SO much easier to go ahead and do the turn before you've creased the hat, so go ahead and get the hat open crowned and do it all yourself, it's really not that hard.

The biggest reason why I think the turn can't be done for you is how much brim distortion you actually want is kind of a personal taste issue, and the shape of your head really effects how much turning is necessary. What I've done on my last couple hats is work the felt in my hands to soften up the brim until it's fairly pliable. Then I put the hat on my head straight and just rotated the hat until I liked how warped the brim looked. Then crease the hat normally based on where the new center is.

The more oval your head the more quickly and more dramatically you'll see the brim warp. It might feel weird the first day or two, but I promise it'll feel quite normal as the hat adjusts to your head naturally.

So I say good luck, and go for it!
Weston wrote:Winston is right, the shape of your head is going to determine how much of a turn you need, and how much the brim warps. If you get a fedora with an open crown and dimensionally cut brim, you will have a much better starting point. A snug fit also helps. When you get your hat, put it on, turn it until you like the way the brim warps, crease the centerdent, then pinch the front. Leave the front pinch a little loose until you are happy with the look, then set in sharp if you want to. Don't worry about ruining your hat; all of this can be done dry and can be popped right back out if you need to start over. Post pics as you go and there are a lot of folks here who can walk you through the process.

Weston
Thanks a heap. That's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. I was worried I'd have to dimensionally cut it myself after I turn it, but that puts me at ease knowing I can let Ken do that first.

I must admit, as long as it's possible, I'd really like to bash my own hat. I could give it my own personal look that way.

So thanks everybody. Great advice. :tup: I'll try and post pics when I get the hat.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

just let him make the hat cut the brim and bash it your self. You will like it alot better and find it wasn't that hard. Like i said you can PM me for my number and I'll walk you though it.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

I've read that turning a hat can bring unwanted taper faster than usual. Is this true? I really hope not :roll: .
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

I don't see how that could possibly be.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

indy89 wrote:I've read that turning a hat can bring unwanted taper faster than usual. Is this true? I really hope not :roll: .

No. I don't really see how that is posible.
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: hat

Post by Argonaut »

BendingOak wrote:just let him make the hat cut the brim and bash it your self. You will like it alot better and find it wasn't that hard. Like i said you can PM me for my number and I'll walk you though it.
Thanks. I'll most likely at least get some input here right before I bash it. Mostly if I know what works and what doesn't I'll probably get it right. It can't be that hard. 8) And giving it my own personal look would be very rewarding.