Indy and watches

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Indy and watches

Post by DR Ulloa »

I've noticed that in the entire series Indy never once dons a wrist watch. I don't know if this has ever been discussed before, but being a watch aficionado I take notice of watches in movies. James Bond has worn a Rolex Submariner and an Omega Seamaster, Rambo a Panerai Marina Militare, and even Jason Bourne wore a Tag Heuer Link. Why did Indy never wear a watch. I would assume that it may have come in handy at one point. Maybe Lucas just isn't into little details like this but I always thought Indy would wear an old pre-WWII Bulova or Omega. What do you guys think?

Dave
GoldenHistorian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by GoldenHistorian »

he makes it up as he goes along :lol:
there was a discussion a while ago i wasnt a member then though but you see it in a bonous interveiw i think of tndy comin out of a tent or something i am not sue.
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

What I want to know why is it all of the watches worn in movies are always so darned expensive? You can have a guy that should not have the money to spend on a $500+ watch, but there it is just because he is the main character. Don't the costume designers have any touch with reality? :roll:

I don't think that Indy would wear an expensive watch, gotta remember he is a teacher. If anything I could see him wearing some knockoff he picked up from a street vendor :lol:
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Well that is precisely why I said that I pictured Indy wearing an old Bulova. They are great watches and don't cost an arm and a leg. I could see someone like Jamed Bond wearing a $3000 Omega but not Indy. But believe me that they are worth every penny. I have one and it is not only beautiful but extremely accurate.

Dave
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

well yeah Bond is all about the spendy goodies, just look at his cars and women :lol: ...
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Thats what he has become, but if you read the old Ian Fleming novels, Bond didn't purchase something because of its price tag but becuase of its functionality. He wore Rolex because of their accuracy, water resistance (at the time they were the best for water resistance) and ability to take a beating. He drove Bently becacuse of its power, reliability and ability to take a beating. The whole flashy Euro-fashion Bond has only been since Brosnan took over. I think indy would be more like an old 007, wearing a watch for its funcionality.

Dave
IndigoJuliet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndigoJuliet »

Bond also wore Brietlings for a while as well..
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I don't recall that. Connery wore a Rolex Submariner as did Lasenby and Moore before they changed to the Seiko digital watches. For Dalton they went back to the Rolex Sub and both Brosnan and Craig have worn Omega. I think Domino wore a Breitling in Thunderball, but Bond has never worn a Breitling, unless I am gravely mistaken.

Dave
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

It has been touched on before. Heck, it looks like I even started one of them years ago! Still, it's a fun subject. :wink:

viewtopic.php?t=14351&highlight=wrist+watch

viewtopic.php?t=7327&highlight=wrist+watch

viewtopic.php?t=5770&highlight=wrist+watch

viewtopic.php?t=229&highlight=wrist+watch
Luke Warmwater
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luke Warmwater »

I imagine Indy wearing a Hamilton. Something simple and rugged and proven, like the rest of his gear.
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

I figured he had a pocket watch, like his dad.

Tron
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Indy doesn't seem like the pocket watch type. I agree with a Hamilton. Maybe even a Longines or Tissot. Like you said: simple and rugged. Thats why I said Bulova, which I think is the best example of this and not pricey, as I don't think Indy would spend alot of money on a watch.

Dave
IndigoJuliet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndigoJuliet »

DR Ulloa he wore it once in a movie, from web sources:-
"Its the gieger counter watch from Thunderball. In the book it is supposed to be a modified Rolex Submariner"
http://watchismo.blogspot.com/2006/11/j ... ory-q.html
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

He's a professor in the 1930's. That's about as much the "pocket watch type" as I can imagine.

But the truth is, I'm pretty ignorant about a lot of this "period accurate" stuff.
How common were wrist watches in the 1930's? I know they were around, I just wonder if they had become "mainstream" yet. What about YIJ? did anyone take note if he was shown with a time piece?

I've considered getting a WWII U.S. GI replica watch for a while now. I love the simple design and the history behind it. I think it would be a nice "Indy" approved watch!
http://www.uswings.com/images/benruswatch_DETAIL.jpg

Tron
RelicHunter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by RelicHunter »

Tron7960 wrote:I figured he had a pocket watch, like his dad.

Tron
For what it's worth, I remember it being mentioned in the novels that he carried a pocket watch.
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

I always liked that Indy never wore a watch. Personally, I hate watches. They're uncomfortable. I never wear them, and I liked how Indy didn't either.
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

Thanks for the tip RelicHunter. I'm currently reading the recently released 3-volume compilation of the novelizations! I'll keep an eye out for it!

As for wrist watches, I wear one and I'm still rarely on time. I'll be early on May 22nd though!

Tron
Kittlemeier
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kittlemeier »

I still say Jaeger Le Coultre Reverso. Tough watch developed in the thirties for troops in the field.
Indywanabe91
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indywanabe91 »

DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Indigo, you are right, but I think Bond only wore the Breitling to discover the bombs, not while out and carousing.

Tron, That WWII replica that you are eyeballing is actually a replica of the Bulova Hack watch made by Bulova for U.S. troops back in the 40's. That is exactly the type of watch I was refering to earlier. And wrist watches were very common in the 30's. In fact, that was when wrist watches began becoming popluar. Many great watchmakers made amazing time pieces in the 30's (Omega and Heuer to name a few).

If it says in the novels that he wears a pocket watch then awsome; I just always pictured him more of a wrist watch type of guy. And a Jaeger would be something I could see him in.

Dave
Dakota Ellison
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dakota Ellison »

I have ordered the Benrus from U.S. Wings. They are on backorder right now. About two or three weeks, they said.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

If I were you I'd go with the real deal. You can find a few WWII Hack watches on ebay. Bulova is has on its catalogue a re-release of the original WWII Hack which is very inexpensive and very nice. You can see it on their website.

Dave
Kittlemeier
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kittlemeier »

Some pics and a little history.

How was the Reverso born? To grasp it origins, we must go back to the British colonial period in India, when officers indulged in their favorite sport: Polo. They were the one's who sparked the idea. One day, one of the players went to the Officers Club bar where he met Cesar de Trey, a business man with close links to the Manufacture. He handed him his watch broken by a hard knock sustained during a match and asked him if he could do something to protect the glass in wrist watches. It is important to add that watch glasses were still very fragile at that time. This little anecdote was to give birth to the great legend..................."The Jaeger Le Coultre Reverso"

On his return to Europe, De Tray conveyed the suggestion to Jacques-David LeCoultre. Even before he knew how to solve the problem, this entrepreneur with a penchant for big challenges answered, and stated "Yes, it can be done!" He wanted to make more then just a watch with a cover. Another source of inspiration had to be sought out: Paris, the city of wild idea's where Art Deco was in full swing, with all it's bubbling creativity.

At a time when everyday objects where taking on a resolutely streamlined appearance. Parisian engineer Rene-Alfred Chauvot was commissioned by LeCoultre and Jaeger to develop a watch in which the case would swivel 180 degrees, in order to turn its back on time and protect its dial. Its name asserted itself with a force of self-evidence: "Reverso", from the Latin word meaning "I turn around".

DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I didn't know that story. Very cool. Thanks for the history lesson Kittlemeier!

Here is a photo of the Bulova Hack I was thinking of:

http://www.chronometer.net/DSCN1059.JPG

Dave
Kittlemeier
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kittlemeier »

I don't mind the Bulova, but I like a watch that's at once tough and elegant. I guess I like the fact that it goes with the grey or the brown fedora. :D
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

The elegance is where I think Indy might have a problem. I don't think he's want to flash it up when he is out cracking his whip. Maybe back at Marshall he might, but I don't he would want to scuff up a Jaeger. Now that I think of it though, I can see him wearing an old Panerai Luminos or Marina. Rugged, simple, reliable.

Dave
Treadwell
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Treadwell »

DR Ulloa wrote:If I were you I'd go with the real deal. You can find a few WWII Hack watches on ebay. Bulova is has on its catalogue a re-release of the original WWII Hack which is very inexpensive and very nice. You can see it on their website.

Dave
http://www.bulova.com/about/HackWatch.aspx

$150 is hardly "very inexpensive" as far as my pocketbook is concerned, but I grant that high-end watches get much pricier than that. ;)
Last edited by Treadwell on Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kittlemeier
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kittlemeier »

DR Ulloa wrote:The elegance is where I think Indy might have a problem. I don't think he's want to flash it up when he is out cracking his whip. Maybe back at Marshall he might, but I don't he would want to scuff up a Jaeger. Now that I think of it though, I can see him wearing an old Panerai Luminos or Marina. Rugged, simple, reliable.

Dave

You're thinking in terms of today's Reversos. The Reversos from the thirties were made for field work. Function first with a little style as an afterthought.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

As far as quality watches go, $150 is inexpensive. I don't have very deep pockets either, but for the quality of watch you are getting, it should be much more. Consider that for a quartz Omega you will probably pay anywhere from$1,800 to $2,200. Lets not even talk about automatic.

When I first joined COW I thought that $100 was too much for a fedora but after really getting into it I have ordered a Keppler and am ordering an AB on Monday. Its all relative. I genuinely enjoy watches so I don't mind laying down some serious cash for a watch (which I did not too long ago and the reason I can't spend too mcuh on gear right now).

Dave
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

Thanks for the tip on the Bulova DR Ulloa. I'm always on the look-out for my next watch and this fit's nicely into my comfort zone!

Tron
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Well, I'm here to help. Your welcome.
Awsome, I am now the resident "watch guy!"

Dave
IndigoJuliet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndigoJuliet »

An a breitleing will set you back even more.. :shock:
I do like the old style watchs, they were very reliable and simple, yet some of them had a stated elegance.
gobo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by gobo »

Henry Sr. had a pocket watch in LC. My guess is Indy would have one as well. In my experience, a wristwatch tends to snag and get caught on stuff out in the field...
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

THe only thing my watches do get snagged up on are my shirts, which can be a pain sometimes. They just seem more idealistic, maybe even functional in the case of Indy. Henry Jones Sr. seems like the type to stop and check his pocket watch and wind it a little every time he does (which in fact he does in Last Cruisade). To me, Indy seems more like the type to just look at his wrist while on the go, not as patient as his father.

Dave
Hunter Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hunter Jones »

I don't think Indy would have bothered with a watch in the field since pickpockets would nick it rather easily. If he did wear one it would be a cheap model picked up at any market, say under $10.

At home in NJ, I'm quite sure he would have something like a nice pocket watch or wristwatch. Maybe something like the Tank.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I can defintely see Indy a Cartier back home. That blue double breasted suit he wore in Washington at the end of Raiders would look great with a Cartier on his wrist. Maybe even a Cartier Santos, but I doubt he would $20,000 for a watch. I woudn't, even if I had the money to burn. That is just sinful.

Dave
ddibling
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by ddibling »

rebelgtp wrote:I don't think that Indy would wear an expensive watch, gotta remember he is a teacher. If anything I could see him wearing some knockoff he picked up from a street vendor :lol:
Yes, but he was a teacher who was also running around "obtaining rare antiquities" :D I'm sure he was well paid for those services.

The thing about buying quality is, you get what you pay for. I bought a Tag Heuer about 14 years ago and it still runs like a champ and looks good. I need to get it refurbished because when my kids were little they like to turn the diving bezel in both directions and they stripped it out! But other than that, the watch is fine...maybe a little scratched up. But a good quality watch will last a lifetime. When you buy a $20 watch you can't expect that kind of longevity.

Dean
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Thats the point I was trying to make earlier, saying that $150 was not bad for a quality watch like Bulova. I actually own three TAG Heuers (one from before Heuer merged with TAG) and they all keep excellent time despite being, from oldest to newest, from 1980, 1985, and 2000. The '85 TAG is a Super Professional and is the most accurate automatic watch I own. In most cases, you get what you pay for.

Dave
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

As mentioned previously the novels describe him carrying a pocketwatch.
However, if he were to wear a wrist watch, it’s a good chance he might have a WWI trench watch, given his service record in the “Great War." Here's a bunch to choose from - not that most of us can afford them...
http://www.oldwristwatches.com/cgi-bin/ ... ender=mens
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Yup, I can see him in all of them. I guess if the novels say he wears a pocket watch then a pocket watch it is.

Dave
ddibling
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by ddibling »

Panama Tom...did you have to post that?!?! :x Now I think I may need a new watch....dangit!! :wink:

Actually, I just ordered this one a few days ago...http://www.stauer.com/itemd.asp?ItemNo=13372...strange how these posts seem to coincide with my spending patterns.... :?

Dean
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

I've got that exact watch for Xmas! http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?t ... ight=watch

It's a very pretty watch - totally nails the retro vibe. The only thing about it is that you've got to be careful not to bump the buttons, and being self winding if you don't wear it for a day or two it will stop. They sell selfwinders that you put your watch in at night - I just haven't gotten around to buying one...
ddibling
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by ddibling »

Cool...thanks for the pointers! I've discovered recently that I'm really into this 30's - 40's retro thing. I've always like fedoras but until recently, I've never bothered to buy one. Which is really strange considering the number of hats I have laying around! :wink: The fedora, the jacket, these watches all have a "classy" feel to them for me. I guess I'm hanging out in the right forum for that sort of thing! :)

Dean
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Pacific Ocean: 19 29.84 N - 155 54.62 W Occupation: Archaeologist "Licensed to Kill"

Post by Indiana Bond »

This is my Indy wrist watch. A 1940's Omega. If Bond has an Omega so can Indy!

I also did an interesting essay on another possible Indy watch. Click the link below to read it.

Indy's Watch

Enjoy!

:P

IB
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Bond, what a great piece of writing. Very good! :clap:
RelicHunter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by RelicHunter »

Tron7960 wrote:Thanks for the tip RelicHunter. I'm currently reading the recently released 3-volume compilation of the novelizations! I'll keep an eye out for it!
I think the pocket watch was mentioned in a couple of the MacGregor books (Genesis Deluge?).

Let us know if the novelizations say anything about a watch. :)
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

DR Ulloa wrote:Well, I'm here to help. Your welcome.
Awsome, I am now the resident "watch guy!"

Dave
You'll have to wait for Michaelson to retire, first. :D
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Thats a beautiful watch Indiana Bond. This is my Indy watch, though I'll admit its an Omega from the 1950's and it may be too old to use in the jthe first three films, maybe I get away with it now that Indy is fighting communists in the '50s.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i201/ ... lle001.jpg

I didn't know that Michaelson held that post. I hope he doesn't read thid thread then. Don't want to tread on anyone's area. On second thought, you will all dissavow any knowledge of ever having read this thread and of my passion for watches!
Last edited by DR Ulloa on Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Pacific Ocean: 19 29.84 N - 155 54.62 W Occupation: Archaeologist "Licensed to Kill"

Post by Indiana Bond »

Thanks for the compliments on my 1940's Omega.! :lol:

Just wanted to let you all know that the Bulova Hack watch is on sale at the Macys website for $112.50.

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/i ... sn_results

I just ordered one to use as my everyday watch as I really only want to wear the Omega with full Indy gear. It's too valuable to wear every day.

This has been a great thread with a lot of classic watches to be seen!

:P

IB
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Yeah, I have really enjoyed this thread also. I don't wear my Omega very often either, usually opting for one of my TAG Heuer watches. I really want to pickup a Bulova Hack as well. I love their watches. My father has owned two and have lasted him well over twenty years. They can take alot of abuse.

Dave