Best whip to get on a budget

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Indy_88
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Best whip to get on a budget

Post by Indy_88 »

Like the title says, where can I get the best lookin indy whip on a budget?
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

http://www.winrichwhips.com/indy.html

$100 for a pretty darn good Indy whip. The only thing making it less accurate is the lower number of plaits. :junior: -M
Risu
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Risu »

And from what I've seen it's way too dark. And he's not making them for the next few months.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

meh, never the less it's a great whip, especially for those who are new to whip cracking. :junior: -M
Indy_88
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indy_88 »

Mulceber wrote:http://www.winrichwhips.com/indy.html

$100 for a pretty darn good Indy whip. The only thing making it less accurate is the lower number of plaits. :junior: -M
Awesome! Yeah I can wait until he starts makin more cuz its gunna be a while before I get my full gear on lol. Im kinda stumped about the whip holders though. I went to this site (http://www.adventure-supply.com/adventu ... p%20Holder) and he does make a very cool whip holder but I dont know if its the right size or not. It just seems like that if you put a whip in there, it would just fall out but maybe its just me.
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

Well, you could always make your own whip holder. I'm not that good at making anything, but I managed to make one that fit my whip perfectly.

But I'm pretty sure most whips would fit in Keppler's whip holders. You can get whipholders from toddcostumes too for about 20 bucks.
indyfyfe
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by indyfyfe »

Todd's whip...best $200 I ever spent!!!!
rjallen70
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rjallen70 »

Gus Caicedo

http://purewhips.com/whips.htm
8 ft 8 plait $110...and you will get it fast.
R
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

Always check the Bazar :) and it depends on what you want to do with it. From what I understand Todds whip is more of a display piece then anything else.
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

I say Todd's. I'm not sure it can be described as "more of a display piece"
I've not read any reviews that support that.
Mine has handled non-display duties quite well in addition to looking awesome!

Tron
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

From Todd himself:
"Let me be clear that I'm not offering this whip as a half-price pagey whip. It is NOT the quality of a well made all kangaroo whip. If that's what you want, then you need to pay for it.
What these whips are are realistic, authentic-looking whips for less than $200. And they do work, for a casual whip cracker. You take your kids out trick-or-treating - you can whip this off your belt and show off. It cracks easily and LOUD!"

I'm not a causual whip cracker. I'm in the process of starting my show and educational whip career. And this is why I spend what I do for roohide. So to me and my view, it's more of a display piece, and I'll continue to hold and give my view. Can I get it with a 10" handle for target work? Can I increase the weight in the butt for better weight distubition? But it is very SA. True, it's a step forward in whip design, but that step doesn't need to be taken as the tradionaly made whips are still being improved. If someone wants to do more then "Be Indy" and learn the craft of the use of the whip, go with cow or roo.
Last edited by hollywood1340 on Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

well I am whaiting on a new saddle tan whip..I got it of ebay.
it's made by aussiewhips,if you know who that is.they have a pretty high quality product,or so I have heard.I got it for a 155 dollars shipped
it is a 10'12 plait whip.I think it's a pretty good deal.it is copyed from the raiders whip

bests
Holt
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

Well Hollywood, I by no means was suggesting that you shouldn't hold and continue to give your view. Nor was I challenging you on your prowess with a whip or knowledge of the same. I was aware of Todd's own comments you posted and still don't see how you got more of a display piece out of it, but then I'm not always seeing things clearly on first glance. So I can easily defer to your experience on real whips (I have none), however, Indy_88 did ask about the best looking whip on a budget, so I guess you and I can agree that Todd's can certainly make the list in that regard.

Thanks,

Tron
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

Oh no doubt! But again it's what he wants to use it for IMO. IT does look nice though.
Swamp
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Swamp »

I personnally bought Todd's whip because I wanted a whip that looked good, was relatively cheap, and would crack. I do not plan on starting up whip cracking as a hobby. I already have to many interests as it is. My kids and airsoft take most of my time right now.
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

yeah i would second a whip from Gus Caicedo at purewhips, great whips for the money. I actually like mine better than my Winrich whips.
Indiana Max
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Max »

Gus Caicedo :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :D
Indy_88
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indy_88 »

So how do i get one of those 8ft Caicedo whips? I looked all over his site and I didnt see where I could buy one or was he talkin about his ebay store?
DOHERTYJAX
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by DOHERTYJAX »

Yeah, he used to have a link to buy the whips, but they appear to be gone. I know he is a little backed up, so maybe he took the buy option off so he can catch us with his current orders. Just send him an email, or call him. His contact info is listed on his web site. I ordered an 8' 8 plait whip from Gus. Hopefully he will have it done by Thursday or Friday of this week.

Pete
TReinman
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by TReinman »

Okay, risking bearing all here… I did an eBay search and I found many, many auctions by Jrzjoe (or something like that) of all various shapes and sizes. Including a 10’ 12 Plait for around 150. (I don’t think that’s an illegal eBay plug, just about any quick search will bring him up. – Mods, let me know and I will edit.)

Now, he usually has a 10 or 12 foot, FOUR plait for much, much cheaper – like even under $40. I’m tempted to go this route, for my “Indy on a Budget” costume. It’s the last piece of the puzzle for me.

I think I know the answer to this question, “you get what you pay for”, but I’m wondering if anyone has any experience with these whips?

I’d like a good looking one that would crack fairly easy – but being honest, I’m probably not going into whip cracking as a real hobby. (Although, I can do many cowboy rope spinning tricks, ala Will Rogers…) I’m thinking of contacting “Gus Caicedo” for an 8’ – 8 plait, but when I saw a 12’ – 4 plait sell for $26 bucks…

-- Tim
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

From what I've heard he doesn't have braided bellies, his keeper is all wonky and but he has very good copy in his listing. Save up and pick up a Caicedo or a Winrich. They are not some random person on EBAY and if your looking for a true Indy style whip on a buget, they are the way to go. Don't sell yourself short. If you do decide you like whip cracking, their whips will take you farthern then a cheap whip from ebay.
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m94/ ... 000784.jpg

10 foot IOAB. Couldn't be more pleased.
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

That Caicedo whip is stunning! I had no idea that was available. I wasn't looking for a budget whip, I bought an EM-Brand 4 years ago, but I will keep that one in mind. It does not look like anything less than a functional, high quality whip. Thanks for posting that!

Weston
TReinman
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by TReinman »

Okay, Hollywood, you should get a commission...

I just sent Gus money for his 8-footer. I can't wait to see it!

-- Tim
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

Weston wrote:That Caicedo whip is stunning! I had no idea that was available. I wasn't looking for a budget whip, I bought an EM-Brand 4 years ago, but I will keep that one in mind. It does not look like anything less than a functional, high quality whip. Thanks for posting that!

Weston
yep they are a great budget whip and Gus is a really great guy. Talked to him on the phone for awhile before I ordered my whip. I plan on getting a 10 footer from him next to go with my 8 footer.
Cracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cracker »

From what I've heard he doesn't have braided bellies,
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

GREAT MOTHER OF A ROCKET POWERED SUPERCAVITATING AERIAL SUBFIGHTER!!! That's highway robbery right there. I see he's now raised his prices to be more "competitive" with those who actually take the time to turn out a good product. There is an "Indy" whip for $249 from him. Sad, sad sad.
raider 57
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by raider 57 »

Indiana Kev wrote:http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m94/ ... 000784.jpg

10 foot IOAB. Couldn't be more pleased.
I got the Winrich IOAB 8 footer to start out as well.

I would say it's very tough to beat for 100 bucks! Fun to work with too!