How accurate are these fedoras?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Indy_88
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

How accurate are these fedoras?

Post by Indy_88 »

Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

Well, generally that kind of hat is considered to be pretty sub-par in quality. As far as just simple accuracy goes, the felt is 100% wool. Not only is that a cheap material, it's also not screen accurate. Indy's hats were rabbit fur. Besides that, the shape or "bash" of the hat is wrong. Instead of a center dent on top you have a c-dent.

It's actually very similar to the last hat I bought. I got it before I knew any better, which is understandable.

I'll let someone else add to that or correct me. I'm not the expert that some on this forum are, but I'm trying to be. :)
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

Not very, but those hats work for fans on a limited budget or for someone who isn't going to wear the hat except for the occasion halloween party where you can look just Indy enough.

If you have the extra cash to where you could pay about $100 then it would be better for you to get an akruba federation as it is a better hat all around than the wool dp. The fed is much better quality as it is fur instead of wool (wool when it gets wet will shrink and taper), and can be bashed in the proper manner.

If price really isn't a concern then you have all other kinds of options such as (in no particular order) the Keppler, Camptown, Peterbrothers, Miller, JPD, HJ, and Adventurebilt.

Hope that helps.
Indy_88
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indy_88 »

Indiana Kev wrote:Not very, but those hats work for fans on a limited budget or for someone who isn't going to wear the hat except for the occasion halloween party where you can look just Indy enough.

If you have the extra cash to where you could pay about $100 then it would be better for you to get an akruba federation as it is a better hat all around than the wool dp. The fed is much better quality as it is fur instead of wool (wool when it gets wet will shrink and taper), and can be bashed in the proper manner.
How much are the federations and where can I get one?
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

The price is around $100, the site is www.hatsdirect.com ...but there is a new fed in the works as seen in this thread which you will want to check out.

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?t=26662
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

Indy_88 wrote: How much are the federations and where can I get one?
Hatsdirect.com but I think they are letting their supply dwindle as they move to a better version. They only have 55,57,and 61 mm in stock for the deluxe and 55 63, 64 mm for the regular.

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?t ... hatsdirect

http://www.hatsdirect.com/cgi/products. ... turnpage=0

http://www.hatsdirect.com/cgi/products. ... turnpage=0
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

Yeah, check out the new site for the new version of the Federation.

http://www.hatsdirect.com/federation/

You can pre-order them there and they're supposed to be ready to deliver early to mid-April.
Indy_88
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indy_88 »

Is there anywhere that sells them for less than 100.00. Im on a REALLY tight budget right now so I just cant get up and spend money on a #### near perfect indy hat....although I would really really like to :D

I really like the look of the federation DX. I wonder if Ebay has some???
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

Just don't waist your money on that hat that you first were looking at. Yes, it might be under 100.00 dollars but that money will be lost. You are better of waiting and saving just a few more dollars and get the akubra.[/list]
Indy_88
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Re: hat

Post by Indy_88 »

BendingOak wrote:Just don't waist your money on that hat that you first were looking at. Yes, it might be under 100.00 dollars but that money will be lost. You are better of waiting and saving just a few more dollars and get the akubra.[/list]
Yeah I think thats what im gunna do. But the general consensus around here is that the Federation DX IS the Indy hat? Or at least pretty close?
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

You don't see them on ebay too often, but keep an eye on the cario bazaar here as they pop up every once in a while and you should put up a want to buy in the marrakesh supply co., maybe a fellow gearhead has one in your size they would be willing to part with. Good luck.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

But the general consensus around here is that the Federation DX IS the Indy hat?
No, THE Indy hat would be either an Adventurebilt, Adventurebilt Deluxe or a reblocked Magnoli Herbert Johnson. But those are all over $250 and thus probably out of the price range you're looking at.

If I were you, I'd save your money for a federation. It's a great hat that's pretty close and Ron's working on the new federation which (probably) will be the same price but better, so he'll probably have released it by the time you're done saving for it. :junior: -M
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

Yeah it's the same price according to the new site. Even the Federation regular is still a well loved hat by many gearheads. It's pretty much the best you can get for that price. Until very recently I was gonna get one myself, but I managed to earn a bit more money so I might get something slightly better, like a Camptown.
Piker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Piker »

Check the Cairo, you might find a deal.

and you can always sell your plasma to get an AB.