Look whos in the paper!!!!!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Tennessee Smith wrote: ...and Michaelson, you might pray none of your students/facility members read that article . If they find out you're a "Florida Native", there might be some, ... errr, repercussions... :lol: :wink:
There better NOT be. If they push THAT button, I'll tell them they owe me 16 years back pay regarding mileage in the daily commute between Tallahassee and Tullahoma! :? :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

There better NOT be. If they push THAT button, I'll tell them they owe me 16 years back pay regarding mileage in the daily commute between Tallahassee and Tullahoma!
:rolling:

:shock:

:-k

If that's the case... maybe you should show this to 'em. Tell them its in the paper so it has to be true!!! :roll:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Considering the State is currently looking at University budgets, it might drive them into bankruptsy..... 8)

We should probably let that sleeping dog lie. :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

Excellent picture and article. Learned some new things too. :D
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

Great article, with the mistake about Michaelson. Great to see some photos as well.
best
Canada
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

but i didn't want to open up a can of worms
Oh why not Indiana G. :lol: That chap on the travel channel says they are quite tasty!! :lol:

Regards, Fedora.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Worm Surprise, anyone?
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

Very good read. Congratulations Steve.

I've been a skeptic of a fourth Indiana Jones film for years now. I just didn't see it as being all that necessary. But I'm starting to look at the film differently now. I see it as a rare instance of a movie being built by the fans. Where would Ford's gear be with out all the research that has been done starting with Lee, going through IndyFan, MKVII, Jacket Wars!, IndyGear, COW, The Federation, handle length, fans like Steve simply building their own piece of gear, etc. It's really amazing.

—Kyle
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Yes I must agree, very nice article. Congrats. Make me feel good.

DanielJones wrote:
Well, now we all know someone famous! Congratulations guys, you deserve it!
Know if he can only meet kevion Bacon, then we'd be... what only acouple of degree's of knowing Kevin Bacon. :lol: :lol:

Croft
Kilgour Trout
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Even the Photo is Great!

Post by Kilgour Trout »

Next to being just plain great
This article has everything :D, (Minus Marc :cry:)

Why even the Photo of Steve looks good :wink:

You know...I know this will sound a bit crazy, but that Photo (and perhaps signature) should be included with every hand crafted AB sold, (much like the small Akubra poster you often get with your first Hat's Direct Fed or
Fed D). A Photo of "The Maker and his tools" is a great way to convey not only the quality of the product but also skill involved. I'd personally love something like this. Mind you, the wife may take exception to hanging it in the living room eh! :lol:

Anyway...just a thought. We "Now" need an equal pic of the enigmatic and
mysterious Marc. :wink:

Cheers
Kilgour
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Great article! Thanks for posting! :P Well done Steve. :clap:
Michaelson wrote:Yep, but still not sure where she got the idea I was a native of Florida. :-k :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
You know, I was literally going to post about that and then I saw your comment. :wink:

BTW, guys, let's not forget Marc. :)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Well, no mention of Marc. At least when the local news did the story here, I got him in. I guess they just wanted to print the info that I gave them about ME. Understandable I guess, but I hate it when they don't print everything
Steve's already discussed that above, Canyon.

Regards! Michaelson
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Michaelson, apologies. I didn't see that. :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:tup:

Regards! Michaelson
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Rundquist wrote:
Castor Dioscuri wrote:
Bullitt wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I never saw articles about the Gear suppliers from the other movies. Was this kept more under wraps or did I just miss this?
I might be wrong, but I'm assuming the reason why the gear is being so prominently featured in the media this time around is because... well, Indiana Jones has now established himself completely as a cultural icon, and a legend!

Before, when say ToD or LC was released, Indy was famous, but in some ways he was a rookie, and could still be seen as a flavor of the month (AT THE TIME!!!). It's like The Matrix, and the Matrix's sequels... Neo's outfit was no doubt instantly recognizable, but no one really cares where he got it made... Now, if they make ANOTHER sequel to the Matrix in 25 years, the media will no doubt have a field day over which designer tailors his then (presumably) iconic trenchcoat! ;)
The Matrix doesn't have legs. It was flavor of the month. It's not for the ages. I said that to people at the time. The franchise is already starting to be forgotten.
Though we are all Indy buffs here, I have to be honest: The very same thing could be said for Indiana Jones around 1994 (5 years after his last crusade).

The only time people would think of him was when he was either explicitly mentioned by name (or visually), or hear that signature musical tune, or if they saw someone wearing a fedora or a whip. (I mean, let's be honest here: most folks on CoW recently have begun to admit that they were starting to be afraid of wearing their gear in public as Indy was starting to be remembered again!) However, the same thing could be said about the Matrix... I mean, what's the first movie you think of when you see someone wearing a long black leather trenchcoat, or if you see that signature bullet-time effect used in an action movie?

If Indiana Jones had more staying power in the public's eye, it's not just because it was a great movie series, but because of the merchandising prowess of George Lucas and Co. While I personally am not a big fan of the Matrix, there's no denying that it left a major impact on pop culture the same way that Indy did.
Rundquist wrote:PS- I happen to know the real "Neo" (at least the guy that the character was based on). Ironically, he's a huge Star Wars fan.
I'm really not sure what you're getting at here, or if we're even talking about the same movie...? :shock: :?:
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Personally I hate it when Marc is not mentioned. But, as I said, I always mention Marc and include him in the story. The thing is, and I have said this prior, with these local news stories they seem to be only interested in the local boy who did good. So they edit. On top of that, they get some things wrong. I never said I went to the Library of Congress. I said I bought a book, that was a reprint FROM the Library of Congress. They also misquoted what I WAS charging for the hats. No wait, it was not a misquote, they got that price from my site. I was never asked what I charged during the hobby stage. And was never asked what I charge now. Fedora
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

I remember when I did the interview two weeks ago, I wanted to make 100% sure that Steve wasn't left out - which is a lot easier in front of a camera then on a written interview. I think I overdid it a little, 'cause after half an hour the interviewer asked me to say "we" instead of "Steve and me" in every darn sentence :lol: After ignoring his request for another half hour, he asked for a picture from Steve :lol:

Regards,

Marc
IndianaLV
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaLV »

Marc wrote:I remember when I did the interview two weeks ago, I wanted to make 100% sure that Steve wasn't left out - which is a lot easier in front of a camera then on a written interview. I think I overdid it a little, 'cause after half an hour the interviewer asked me to say "we" instead of "Steve and me" in every darn sentence :lol: After ignoring his request for another half hour, he asked for a picture from Steve :lol:

Regards,

Marc
well, at least you can be sure, that Steve is mentioned.

"And then Steve and me did this... and then Steve and me did that! Did I mention my partner Steve yet?" :lol:
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Well at least on the local news here Marc was mentioned. The tv news. They did it in passing as 20 minutes in front of the camera yielded a couple of minutes of air time. But I was pleased to see that he was included. That was my best interview, to me anyways. Fedora
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

Well at least Marc got mentioned on the TV news. There is only a certain amount of time to report the news and they have to fit everything in, which is sometimes hard to do. :wink: Congrats to you both again, I really loved the article and wished they had mentioned Marc. But we all know here who made the hats for the new film. :D I am very happy for both of you guys. Well done Steve and Marc. :clap:

IndianaChris
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Here Here! :junior: -M
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

http://culturebubble.blogspot.com/2008/ ... e-for.html

now thats something for steve to print out and frame and hang up in his workshop :D

CJ