Excellent Whip Vendors In Australia??

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

IndyWannaBee
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Excellent Whip Vendors In Australia??

Post by IndyWannaBee »

My father in law is heading to the land down under for a two week vacation (Sydney, Perth, etc.) and was wondering if you guys had some company / individual whip makers that come highly recommended in that country. I may have him pick me up something locally if possible.

Thanks!!
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

There are excellent makers in a lot of places in the world that are all equally good now, but at least buying a fine whip in Australia is a bit like buying an excellent cigar in Havana or a fine accordion in Italy (sorry, that last one was a bit esoteric).

In Western Australia there is Mike Murphy and in Sydney there is....Terry Jacka (I think) but I don't know if you can buy direct. There are probably other top makers there. A retail shop in the inner city to try would be RM Williams - but they mostly sell stockwhips. The Australian Plaiters and Whipmakers Association website might be the place to look for contact addresses/numbers. Chris and Kerri Barr, Bernie (EM brand), Russell Schultz, Simon Martin are some other makers of top level whips, some of whom I bet will chime in here soon with great advice. There is another business called Bluegum whips, but I don't know too much about them. If I have forgotten any great names in Australia for bullwhips, my apologies.
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

I will add Janine Fraser to the pile of names above. You haven't posted here in a while Janine. We miss you...
deadringer
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by deadringer »

Gday IndyW/Bee,
Kerri Barr here , yes mate , plenty of great whippies here in Oz - your welcome to order through us , & have your dad contact us , once he arrives , to arrange delivery .
Chris - my other half - is 5 times Aussie Champ , The other names that bear on this Trophy are Dennis Gardner ( whom you will probably have trouble organising whips in the short term, he only makes a couple a year now ) Billy Glasgow - who is very neat .. I can pass on numbers if you wish . Russel Schultz's work you wouldn't be dissappointed in either .. I guess it comes down to your budget + whether they are to be tools for work/fun/sport , or something of a 'collectable' later on ( the later doesn't mean your skipping out on function either .. the finer the plait/ number of strings used .. the better the flow ... the nicer the performance + tis always function first with the collector pieces)

a link to our site is below

http://www.deadringer.com.au

If you need some other contact details - let me know , only too happy to pass them along ...

hope your family has a great time in our country :*)

Cheers
Kerri B
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

I vote for Bernie at EM-Brand whips, though it is a bit of a swim to his island from the mainland.

Weston
Janine Fraser
Vendor

Post by Janine Fraser »

G'day Sergei!!!

Sorry its been a long time mate. I only found out about this from a mate.
Always happy to have a chat with anyone looking for a whip.
Thanks for thinking of me Sergei hope your well!
Sergei
Admin Emeritus

Post by Sergei »

Janine Fraser wrote:G'day Sergei!!!

Sorry its been a long time mate. I only found out about this from a mate.
Always happy to have a chat with anyone looking for a whip.
Thanks for thinking of me Sergei hope your well!
Hope all is well with you too Janine!
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Not a whole lot to add here that hasn’t already been said other then Hey Janine! Good to see you here again, Don’t be such a stranger :wink:

All the best.

Dan
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

The other names that bear on this Trophy are Dennis Gardner ( whom you will probably have trouble organising whips in the short term, he only makes a couple a year now )
I'm getting three whips from Dennis, and they're all finished and paid for, I just have to wait for them to get shipped to the US.

-Adam
deadringer
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by deadringer »

Morning Ya'll
have a little more time this morning .. thought I should add in a couple names .. 2 of our most respected whippies in
Maurice Doohan & John McMaster .. hence the Trophy being called the
Doohan/McMaster Trophy ( the prize the plaiters chase over here - for the national championships)
Both are still making good whips .. both - you would be very happy with .

and to Adam - "Skite" .. they'll be a couple fellas over here :*( that you skipped up the line ... the perks that come with being a world champion huh !! good on you bloke .. your collection is going to be somehting else ... I look forward to hearing your thoughts on how they perform .

hope ya'll have a great week ,

bye for now
Kerri
Sergei
Admin Emeritus

Post by Sergei »

McMaster! Of course... I have a matched pair McMaster stock whips that were formerly used by Fiona Wilkes.