Magnoli vs Todd's

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

jeremy3178
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Magnoli vs Todd's

Post by jeremy3178 »

Does anyone know if I would be better off with buying from Magnoli or Todd's costumes? They seem very similar.
jeremy3178
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jeremy3178 »

Who is Christy? Got a web address?
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Magnoli's, hands down. Todd's sells great stuff, but the product HJ ships out is just @#$%. Fedora stabilizes the felt and shapes it the way you want it. :junior: -M
jeremy3178
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jeremy3178 »

Thanks a lot guys.
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

If you are referring to the HJ fedora, I chose Magnoli.

Although I've been very happy with my purchases from Todds (particularly the whip), the modifications to the HJ provided when ordered from Magnoli made the sale for me.
This was before I knew that the Magnoli HJ is constructed by Steve Delk, so that's a pretty BIG hidden bonus.

I can't comment on Christy's.

Tron
imagine671
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by imagine671 »

I have to disagree with the Christy's recommendation. I've been shopping around for the right fedora for a long time now, and my first stop for a 'real' fedora (i.e. not wool felt) was with Christy's. A couple months ago, I popped into "The Hat Company" (which sells Christy's hats) and had a look at all their offerings. There is one ('The Adventurer') that could 'pass' as an Indy fedora, but seeing it in person (as opposed to the website) reveals that it has quite a lot of taper and the crown height does not look quite right. The brim also looks a bit on the 'wide' side, but of course that could be cut down, I suppose. All that said, Christy's does make a pretty fine hat, as I've owned the 'Epsom' racing-style trilby and have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it.

SO, back to Todds vs. Magnoli. From everything I've read, Magnoli is the better bet, simply because of all the modifications Steve makes to the hat. It is essentially what HJ SHOULD be shipping out, but aren't. Todd's is a fantastic resource for Indy gear, and the HJ he sells is definitely a better option that going with one directly from Swaine, Adeney, Brigg LTD. If it means anything, I ordered a Magnoli HJ, and have been very happy with the level of communication of the vendor, and I am told my hat should be here in the very near future. I'll post pics as soon as it comes in. Take care!!
hp
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by hp »

Hi jeremy3178,

I got both hats and here are some pics (original HJ on the left, Magnoli on the right and standalone):
http://picasaweb.google.com/hp.images/S ... comparison

I bought the HJ in 2005 from a German distributor. I guess it's the same that is provided by SAB today.

Color, felt, sweat and liner is all the same.
The difference is the bockshape (Magnoli is straighter), the floppyness of the felt (Magnoli is softer) and the craftmansship (Magnoli is assembled all by hand).

Cheers
HP
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Alternating between wearing my Magnoli/AB/HJ & my Penman lids!

Post by Johnny Fedora »

I can't believe it took me this long to see this thread! :shock:

As the resident IM/AB/HJ cheerleader Ihave to poin out that if you want a thorough discussion on whith is "better" check out this thread... viewtopic.php?t=25584

And most of all enjoy whatever you decide to go with. :wink:

Johnny
p.s. The Magnoli/Adventurebilt/Herbert Johnson is the best Raiders replica out there...next to an Ab of course.
jeremy3178
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jeremy3178 »

That's why I love this place, don't have to wait very long to get a lot of great information. Thanks a lot guys.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

I agree the Magnoli HJ looks better.
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

Lets see some shots from the side. I once heard someone say:
ANY hat can be made to look good from the front.