Advice Wanted: Delivery method to Wested for alteration

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

dennist41
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Advice Wanted: Delivery method to Wested for alteration

Post by dennist41 »

I am sending my 1 year old jacket back to Wested to have the sleeves replaced with longer ones. Wested's website says not to use FedEx or UPS because they will charge a customs tax to the company, however it does not recommend a method. I can only think of DHL but DHL said they will charge Wested the tax also and customs will be all over the item if you take insurance on a $250.00+ item. Has anyone ever sent their jacket back for alteration and if so what method did you use and what were the results. I am going to further consult Wested on this but I want to get an opinion not just from the receiver's side but on the sender's side. Any help would be much appreciated!
ydam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ydam »

I just sent it back and I sent it FedEx. I never read up on the web site that said not to send them back through FedEx or UPS. I will say that it cost me quite a bit to send it back though unfortunatly. No tips on who to send it through. Post office or DHL maybe...you might check both as i am sure they will be able to get you a lower shipping cost then FedEx was able to get me.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Your FedX package will be returned, as Wested will not sign for it.

The last time I sent one out, I sent via Global Priority Mail with it plainly marked on the outside of the box 'being returned for repair'. That way no tax is due at their end.

Regard! Michaelson
ydam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ydam »

WHEW!!! I am glad i ran across this post when i did. I just got off the phone with FedEx and told em to hold the package. I will take your advice Michaelson and go with Global Priority back to Wested. Thanks...i definatly owe you on this one!!!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

No problem, my friend!

Just be SURE to write in big bold letters 'being returned for repair' on top and bottom of your package so it can't be missed by anyone in the post office or customs departments.

Regards! Michaelson
Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chewie Louie »

ydam wrote:WHEW!!! I am glad i ran across this post when i did. I just got off the phone with FedEx and told em to hold the package. I will take your advice Michaelson and go with Global Priority back to Wested. Thanks...i definatly owe you on this one!!!
Good post.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

If your jacket is one year old, there's a big chance that the original batch of leather that yours was made from is long gone. There might be a slight variation in color in the current batch with what you have. You should double check with Peter. You might be better off selling your jacket and having a new one made. Cheers
dennist41
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by dennist41 »

Thanks for the advice everyone! I did exchange conversation with Wested about the leather color difference. I am still contemplating. I might give the jacket to my brother because were both Indiana Jones fans. Ordering up another jacket sounds tempting....I just might go that route!
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

If you are sending it for repair or returning any jacket to Wested. The only place I would send it through would be your local Post Office or USPS. I just sent mine last weekend to Wested. I just hope they got it. On the tracking it says arrived in Great Britain and that is it. That was on Monday. I did follow Peter instructions on the website to mark the customs form for a return and wrote on the customs form jacket purchased from england and being returned for alteration or repair. It cost me about $40 bucks to ship it back, but that is how much he pays in U.S. dollars to ship it here. UPS and Fedex your going to be paying a lot more than that. Cost me 60 bucks at FedEx to send something overseas one time. Was not worth it. Well I just hope Peter has got my jacket, been about a week. Did not receive anything from him that he got it. Oh well probably won't since Wested is pretty busy now.

IndianaChris
Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

I sent mine USPS International with insurance and it got there fine with no customs charge and was returned to me by Wested with no charge, although that was because the satin sleeves had fallen apart, no fault of mine. That was about 2 years ago.